“A ROOM WITH A VIEW”

Manor House and Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Kilrea
Reviewed April 6, 2017

Many people viewing this page will know that 'Room with a View' is a 1908 romantic novel by E M Forster and takes its title from a window in a stately house with a view of the River Armo in Italy I think. Well the Manor House is a bit like that - a beautiful building which in its glory days had many windows overlooking a man-made lake full of fish, a couple of swans and many ducks. It is Heaven on earth and looking out on the lake from a comfortable restaurant is an opportunity to go back through the tunnel of time to the days when only the rich could afford such luxury.

The menu is comprehensive and modestly priced. The service is first-class with food arriving on trays and served just as they did, I imagine, in those good old days.

As I was keeping costs down I went for the curry which was cheapest on the menu and was offered rice or chips or both! I went for both but couldn't finish it. The chicken was all breast, properly cooked with plenty of bite and a flavour which was well above the average. The rice, boiled, was in a class of its own and if I was to do it again I would have confined myself to the rice it was so good.

My other half went for the cod which was served on a bed of champ and a sauce which was clearly prepared in the kitchen and not out of a jar. It was amazing.

The one think that puzzled me - the place was quiet and we had the place almost to ourselves and I thought "What a shame, this place has got romance, just like 'Room with a View' and many more people need to experience the wonders of going back in time, in beautiful surroundings and at a price most people can afford."

Well worth going back again and again and perhaps next time I will look out that old novel and spend some time on the veranda refreshing my memories of it and the romance within.

2  Thank John D

Reviewed March 15, 2017 via mobile

Visited Manor House with friends, didn't have a reservation but were seated quickly. Good menu with wide choice available. Wait staff are young and inexperienced so could not answer queries. One older waitress who appeared to be in charge was curt to the point of rudeness. Service was slow but food was really excellent (curry amazing). Wine list is very limited. Excellent bar man Danny was knowledgeable and diligent with good service at the bar. Manor a mix of great (views, decor, location) and the need to incentivise staff to have a customer service culture.

Reviewed February 17, 2017

Me and few friends went to the Manor House on Saturday night for drinks and something to eat. It was my first time there. Food was very good, and reasonably priced, waitresses polite and pleasant (have to admit I haven't seen that many pretty girls working in one place before ;)) We stayed for the music after meal, place was sitting packed so we knew the craic will be good. We had a brilliant night out. Will definitely be back!!

Reviewed February 2, 2017

We recently had our sons Christening in Manor House. We celebrated with close family and friends. It was on a Sunday which was great as we all got to Choose of the Sunday Lunch Set Menu.The Menu was great value for money and everyone including kids thoroughly enjoyed their meal. This is an ideal place for family functions.

We had a reserved table in the conservatory and were allowed to bring in Decorations/balloons and Cake. Service was very good and we didn't have to wait as we had pre-ordered our food. Will definitely be back again soon.
Brendan

Reviewed January 25, 2017

We went on a Saturday evening expecting a bit of an atsmophere and intended to hang around for a drink or two after eating.

The food was ok - nothing to rave about but acceptable. The staff were friendly and attentive but as we were the only people there, except another couple of tables, we would have expected nothing less.

As it was so quiet and absolutely no buzz about the place we ended up scooting out to The Wild Duck which was packed and we had a fabulous nights crack.

To sum up, if it's this dead on a Saturday night, I wouldn't like to try it on a week night. Disappointed..