All reviewspizza nightpermaculture farmcompost toiletsfree yoga classesorganic foodgreat conceptthe restaurant reception areaschool busgood vibeshomemade breada couple daysdorm bedsfruit treesbeautiful settingafter darka lot of funvolunteers
Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

Best restaurant in nicaragua! And it was so lovely waking up outside to the sound of the djungel with all the birds and animals. Nice atmosphere! And so funny helping out at the pizza night! Would definitely go back if I ever go to nicaragua again!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2017

I don't like to let bad review but it was my worse experience in a hostel. I book for 4 nights because everybody tell me, it was nice. I arrived there at 5pm, they don't have seen my reservation so the hostel was full. They tell me to go in an other hostel for this night and came back the other day, I should have done that. A girl offer me to sleep in a room because she has got a bed empty. Lots of noise in the night, A really big spider in the room, The shower is open like that everybody can see you. I have to go to the dorm the next morning but I can not stay one more moment. The organization of the things are really slow. I ask for having my cash back. I wait nearly 2 hours to have an answer, I talk with 3 or 4 differents peoples. At the end they told me that they can not give my money back. I ask to talk to the owner, at the beginning they told me that it was not here, after an other girl come to me and say to me that he was eating and I ask an other time to talk to him. The girl come back after 2min and tell me he don't want to talk to me, he was to "busy" and that I can write my experience on Tripadvisor if I want. Really bad experience their. The food is pricey for an hippie place, it's strange. All the prices are in dollars and not cordobas. When I get back to my room to take my stuff at 10:30 (the checkout is at 11am), they were already 2 other peoples in the room. The sheets was dirty and the room was not clean. The people could steal my stuff without any problems. No organisation in this place.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Cédric M
ometepezopilote, Owner at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2017

SORRY, DO NOT GET ANGRY BUT WE LIKE TO ANSWER WITH HUMOR.
Cedrik, the problem is that you are not the right person for this place, which is alternative and different from the other hostels....you book 4 nights with booking ( booking setting is on NOT REFUNDABLE, so as you speak english, you understand that no cash back , easy concept ), and we had a mistake , but we gave you a better bed ....with a spyder on the wall!!!!! only 1 spyder ? only one, really!!!!
Shower to open!!!! many many people likes that shower, and is protect enough to do not see.....
Why prices in dollars? because this year crodobas dollars is 30cord for 1 dollar, last year was 28 , 2 years ago was 26, when we open el Zopilote in 2002 was 12 c.....we have a sign in the menu of the restaurant that explain this concept, you did not read guevon.....
Pricy food? all organic , all from farm to table....a 3 usd breakfast and a lunch from 4 to 8 usd i dont think is too much.......
was not place for you, sorry....

Reviewed January 30, 2017

Very nice place! We didn't sleep there but went for a coffee and at the pizza night. Super nice ambient, good food and nice travellers.

Staff not very friendly as they didn't want to order us a cab at 9 pm and had to walk back in the dark to our other hotel... Not very safe. The lady didn't order because I tried to negotiate the price of the cab that was outrageous.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
ometepezopilote, Owner at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2017

HELLO, SORRY, DO NOT GET ANGRY BUT WE LIKE TO ANSWER WITH HUMOR....THANKS.
Hello, thanks to come to visit us for pizza night ....let me see if i understand well....You want a taxi at 9 PM, you go to the reception ( i'd like to say that we are not a taxi company,), you fight with my receptionist because the taxi is to expencive when is not our fault and you even complain ????????
By the way, around here at 9Pm is very safe unless you are very drunk which is very dangerous for the volcanic stones are everywhere....

Reviewed January 23, 2017

This really is a beautiful place, rooms scattered throughout the jungle with loads of wildlife to be encountered as you walk about the place. The restaurant food is also really good and healthy, especially the oatmeal breakfast. The rooms don't look much like the photos on the website: they really are pretty basic, though actually we liked that, and the eco friendly nature of the place (showers, compost toilets etc). The downside of this place was the strange way it was managed: the full time staff were effective if a but aloof, but the crowd of volunteers hanging round the place created a strange vibe, like a clique within the hostel. They didn't really organise activities to engage the guests, which was disappointing. Overall, I dont think I'd go back.

Room Tip: Book a cabin!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

HELLO, SORRY, DO NOT GET ANGRY BUT WE LIKE TO ANSWER WITH HUMOR....THANKS.
"""""They didn't really organise activities to engage the guests, which was disappointing"""""
COMPLETELY FALSE....FALSE FALSE FALSE......here every day there are activities. Yoga 2 times a day every day, permaculture course 2 times a week, ping pong torneo, Bon Fire , Cacao Cerimony and much more things like massages, meditation etc etc etc....
I SUGGEST TO COME AGAIN AND OPEN YOUR EYES .... there is a board in the restaurant with all the activities of the day....

Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

Really nice hostel with an awesome crew that runs it. Me and my friend stayed in the Iguana home first after moving to a tent. We slept under the stars with the ability to use a look out every morning and evening to enjoy the spectacular view over the two Volcanoes. There is a lot to do at the island. So go and discover!! Btw! Dont miss pizza nights on tuesday and saturday if you are in for some dancing, fire shows, acro yoga shows and delicious pizzas!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends