Aroa Kainga
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Palm Grove(Vaimaanga)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsminute walkadventure cook islandsreef shoesliving roomdown the roadcar scooterbus stopour honeymoonbungalowkaenadeckfrigcomfortrarotongasnorkelprivacypolynesian
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 January 2018

We had a great time at Aroa Kainga! We had our privacy, and felt at home, the bungalow is equipped with everything you need for everyday life on your holiday, you will even find a snorkeling gear and the reef shoes. Two minutes from the best beach in Raro. Tricia is lovely person and a great host, she will be there for every help that you need. We loved this bungalow and we will definitely be back! Highly recommend for everyone!!!

Zivko & Sonja, Auckland NZ

Room Tip: Quiet and private
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
paty423, Owner at Aroa Kainga, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

Thank you for providing feedback on your visit to Aroakainga Bungalows. I appreciate your positive review and am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Aroa. Please visit again soon, I enjoyed meeting you.
Meitaki maata

Reviewed 5 January 2018

I stayed at Aroa Kainga December 24-29 2017. I stayed in the one bedroom Bungalow with a view of the Garden.

I arrived on the plane from Aititaki the afternoon of Dec. 24th. Bad idea-Because the 24th was a Sunday when many spots are already closed, and most places were going to be closed on Dec. 25th for Christmas and the 26th for Boxing Day.

However- Have no fear- Tricia stocked my frig with some basic items to help me get through a couple of days. She even provided a present of Christmas cookies.

She also alerted me to a grocery store 30-40 minute walk down the road which would be open for a couple of hours if I chose to buy more groceries. Since I had been worried about my timing and the stores being closed on the holidays, this was a wonderful welcome and such a nice start to my stay at Aroa Kainga.

I think if you read the other reviews about this wonderful place you will get a pretty solid picture from a number of travelers about how comfortable it is.

I enjoyed the deck outside the living room with a view of tall grass and some colorful plants. I relaxed on the lounge chairs between my walks and snorkel excursions

Although I brought my own snorkel equipment, the Bungalow included a couple of masks.

As you can see from the pictures other reviewers posted, there is a ceiling fan in the bedroom and one in the living room. So although it was hot out, I felt comfortable.

The bungalow and surrounding area was very clean and well kept.

Tricia even provided little touches like outdoor clothes lines so I could hang my wet bathing suit and towel.

The snorkeling on "Tricia's" beach is pretty fair. I tried several snorkel spots in Rarotonga and Tricia's beach was pretty comparable. Her beach is a 5 minute walk to the end of the road, walk straight onto the beach and into the water. Among the typical small coral fish I did get to see a 4 foot Moray Eel. The waters depth gets to about 5 feet.

The Clockwise bus, stops at the Breeze Lagoon Villa bus stop, 30 minutes after the hour. This stop is just down the road. This is the bus to take to go into "Town". Its about a 25 minute ride. The bus costs 5 New Zealand Dollar one way, $8NZD two ways, or $30 NZD for a 10 trip ticket.

The Counter clockwise bus goes to the Muri resort area. It will also take you to the "Fruits of Rarotonga" which is known for decent snorkeling. Check the bus schedule, but note that like the Clockwise bus, it goes around the Island only once per hour. You can catch it at the stop at the Lagoon Breeze Villas bus stop a couple of minutes walk down the main road from the side street Aroa Kainga is located on. In other words It's about an 8-10 minute walk from Aroa Kainga.

There is a scooter/bicycle/snorkel and dive gear rental place (Adventure Cook Islands), about 15 minute walk heading clockwise. Next to that is a gas station/grocery store/ice cream stand plus a cafe for burgers and fish and chips.

In the other direction you will find a car/scooter rental place (One of the Polynesian Rental Cars and Bikes locations), one of The Dive Center locations (they have several), and the Kaena Restaurant. A little further away, about a 20 minute walk, is the Rarotonga Beach resort.

Note- no matter where you stay in "Raro", be sure to bring good mosquito spray, expect to see and hear rosters wherever you go, and anticipate you will run into friendly dogs running around the beaches on their own. Remember- Do not park or sit under a coconut tree.

I hope you have found my information to be helpful.
Happy Travels

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
paty423, Owner at Aroa Kainga, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Kia orana and thank you for a clear, positive, full description of my property and the surrounding environment, including transport. I appreciated discussions about your travels and home and your skillful, generous assistance with some maintenance jobs. I hope you have a peaceful, successful year.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had an amazing stay at Aroa Kainga for our honeymoon. Tricia is welcoming and a wealth of knowledge of all the local spots. Great snorkeling and sunsets are just seconds away. I would highly recommend Aroa Kainga to anyone headed to Rarotonga. Thank you very much for our excellent experience Tricia.

Carl & Holley

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
paty423, Owner at Aroa Kainga, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

I'm glad that you had such a lovely honeymoon experience. Thank you for being such considerate guests and leaving the place so clean & tidy. Hope you return soon.
Kia manuia Tricia

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

Really comfortable apartment and Tricia is a wonderful host - great conversation and really made me feel welcome. This apartment is super comfy, and is only 150m walk from one of the best snorkelling spots on the island! So much better vale than staying at a resort with all the comforts and a great kitchen to cook in!

Stayed: June 2017
paty423, Owner at Aroa Kainga, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2017

Thank you for your positive comments about the apartment and good to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling. It is great to have such a beautiful beach so close to enjoy. Hope you return sometime soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

What a wonderful quiet clean haven to come back too again. Thanks Tricia for your hospitality. Great place to come back to in an afternoon after a busy day travelling the island or snorkelling somewhere. Anybody looking to do their own thing not resort style this is the place for you and so close to many things. See you next time.

Room Tip: Front bungalow is great as you have a great grassed area to enjoy the sun.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
paty423, Owner at Aroa Kainga, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

It was lovely to host you both again and catch up on your news and views. Pleased to hear that you 'felt at home', thank you for being such good company and enjoying Rarotonga. See you again soon.
Kia manuia Tricia