1,778 results
All reviews spaghetti house kids club island night garden room tennis courts fish feeding beach front activities hut crab beachfront deluxe room on site spa bath edge water games room daily activities tropical breakfast cocktail hour
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wife and I spent 9 nights at the Edgewater at the beginning of August. We had stayed there six years ago and were familiar with what we might expect. We love Rarotonga and appreciate that things there happen slowly.

By fluke we ended up in one of the Garden Superior units that our families had occupied on the previous visit to the Edgewater. This did give us a very good idea of what had changed in these units since our last visit. The short answer in terms of improvement appears to be very little.

I think the first thing to assume is that the star rating on this hotel cannot possibly be applied to all rooms, as our experience of hotels worldwide could not see this room categorised above 2 stars. For the price we paid for accommodation the value is poor. The fittings in this room are dated and attention to detail overlooked. A torn valance on the bed, canework coming apart on furniture etc, are all little things but ultimately detract from the whole experience and can be easily repaired. Outdoors while gardens are beautiful but cracked tiles, lifting edgings and poorly finished repairs to air conditioning units detract from the effect.

Some comments categorised

Bedding - The bed was hard we could literally feel the springs in it. Our mistake not to complain earlier as when we did, with a night left, the mattress was replaced with a better one for our last night. The old one should have been gone years earlier. Pillows are also dated and past best before date!

Security. Six years after this room was illegally entered and there were valuables stolen from it, the window catches are still broken. A sign on the door excuses the hotel from all liability but surely they are responsible for basic repairs to prevent the possibility of break ins. After we had been there for 6 nights we came back from a day out to find our room safe containing valuables had been opened (by security?) and the combination reset. Nothing was missing. To make it totally comedic the instruction for the new combination was placed on the safe door so anyone who came in could open it. We may as well have left our items in a drawer.

Bathroom. Shower floor is spongy. Took two days of asking before the shower drain was cleared so water would flow out of the shower (thanks to the cleaner not maintenance). Toilet cistern cover half falling off the whole time we were there.

Restaurant. Breakfasts great albeit limited variety of fruits (assume because of season).
Island Night and BBQ Buffet meals great but Ala Carte food I ordered once was so poor (Pork Loin burnt,dry, little meat and bland rice risotto). that we ate away from there on every other occasion, in addition that night we would probably still be waiting there for someone to take our dessert order, if we hadn't left in frustration. We found our meal at the Edgewater owned Spaghetti House excellent. There are other great alternatives in walking distance which we utilised.

Bar Service. Slow and not just in happy hour. Cocktails have deteriorated in quality, to keep them as "$10 Cocktails" If you want to buy better ones the staff don't know how to make them. Wait staff are friendly though.

On Site Activities. We chose not to participate in many as we had other plans for this holiday but the guided walk we did was very enjoyable.

Outdoors. Grounds, beach and gardens are well kept and beautiful. A tidy and pleasant surrounding.

Overall we probably will stay elsewhere on our next visit to Rarotonga as this hotel did not provide us with value for our money on this occasion.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RaroL0vers
Edgewatersunset, Sales & Marketing at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Kia Orana RaroL0vers,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We are pleased that for the most part your stay was enjoyable.
In regards to your comment on your room safe, after investigations it was found that our security received a message from Front Office that the safe needed to be opened. Periodically we have guests who need help with their safes, however when the security officer got to the room, and no guests were there, he should not have opened it. He did however, with the housemaid as a witness, and when they realised there were items in the safe, reset it and left a note. This should not have happened and we do apologise.
Regarding our rating of 3.5 star, this rating is not for the rooms only, but for the overall experience at the Resort i.e. facilities, activities, location, 2 restaurants and a wide range of room categories and prices to suit all budgets. However, your comment on the room is valid and we have closed it off for repairs. We are gradually moving through all the rooms and refurbishing, with the Garden Superiors next to receive new glass vanities in the bathrooms and general touch-ups. We have completed this work in the 24 Lagoon View rooms and received very favourable feedback from guests. Please be assured that we continue to strive to keep up our standards with continuous refurbishments, ongoing maintenance and painting. Our cycle just hasn’t reached the 700 block yet.
We have taken up with our Food & Beverage Manager your comments on the wait staff. We have been running at approximately 100% occupancy for the last two months with staff doing their best to keep up with the increase in volume. Several new staff have also been recently employed to keep up with the volume of visitors.
Again, thank you for posting your comments, we appreciate all feedback.

Kia Manuia

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed at the Edgewater Resort and Spa for a couple of nights in between my visit to New Zealand. The resort was located right on the beach and relaxing by the pool was perfect. The room was adequate but I spent more time outside then in my room as there was lots to do. The restaurant had good food but the prices were quite high especially for a bottle of water. The only issue was that I found the staff was not very helpful or friendly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Tor_Travel_Guy
Reviewed August 6, 2011

had not that higher hopes after reading reviews but we needed self catering accomodation so had litlle choice in where we stayed. turned out better than we thought with great room-studio apartment- lovely staff-sweethart, janet, tiki, jonnie and valna and fun activities-snrkelling, fish feeding, coconut show,lei making,walks. our tow children aged 7 and 9 had a ball and were able to swim in the lagoon safely on thier own as its not very deep. good variety or fish etc to see.lovely sunsets and good amount of sun all day-otherside of island sun goes quick.resort is a little tired looking and could do with a re-vamp though. staff good with gluten free for our daughter-well informed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mccrangi
Edgewatersunset, Sales & Marketing Manager at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Kia Orana McCrangi
Thank you for posting your review via TripAdvisor and your recommendation on our Studio Apartment that met your expectation.

Many thanks for letting us know that you had a great time with us plus your two children (7 & 9yrs) were also well looked after by our Coconut Kids Club staff members mentioned above. I have pass on your review to our Activities
department this morning. Let us know for any future plan in returning to the Edgewater Resort & Spa.

With kind regards

Reviewed August 3, 2011

By default we ended up at the Edgewater as our first choice was fully booked. Thank goodness! I think it was for us a better venue. When we looked on the internet, I was put off by the high rise look as it did not give me the "island retreat" feel, however, having been there in the flesh, I can say that it is very nice and I highly recommend staying here. Overall, the feeling of the place is open, clean and friendly. The two main plus factors of this place is the amazing snorkling and the kids club. My kids had a ball (9 and 10 years old).

So facts:

ROOMS: We stayed in the 3000 block (3018 specifically) - this is the block you see in the picture above, 3 storeys high, facing the beach and with the tennis court behind. Spacious and airy rooms, bathroom with a spa and great balcony over looking the amazing view of sunsets and sea. Decor okay. Did wonder why they had faded Van Gogh cafe and another mediterranean framed prints on the wall when some pacific / cook island art would be so much better and appropriate. The VIP (2000 block) and 4000 block are similar. The other units on the pool side (1000, 900 etc) are older and I found they were much smaller. If your budget only allows this area, I would try get a 3rd floor unit as the lower units can be dark due to the vegetation and of course the mosquitos....

KIDS: The pool was well used and located next to the activities hut (usually someone there from 9 - 5pm) so supervision was easy. There are activities organised for adults and kids every day from ei making (flower head decorations), sarong printing and tying, ukelele lessons, history of the CI talk, coconut husking and crab racing (great fun). The kids club is also close by and the staff are friendly, smiling and helpful. My kids loved going there. Foodwise see the next item...

FOOD: This is probably the one area that for me was disapponting. Cost wise the Brasserie menu was affordable with the items ranging from $12 (vegetarian curry) to $25 (fish dishes) to $31 (asian night tandoori prawns). The kids ate from the kids menu which was the usual pizza, burgers, fish and chips etc menu...bit boring after a while The food overall was okay - not amazing flavours, sometimes quite small portions i.e the chilli tuna came with a small garnish and thats all - you would have to order a side salad or chips seperately ($23). I recommend:
- chilli tuna
- burgers
- caesar, chicken, tuna salads
The fish and chips were watery and bland. The steaks had great sauce but were too tough to chew and got sent back. The calamari was NOT calamari but reconstituted fish in a ring shape and with crumb covering...yuc! The marlin was chewy and the tandoori prawns were bitter and a total waste of money.
The island night buffet was interesting and I am glad it came complimentary in our package. I am not sure I would like to pay $60 each for that but I suppose it includes the concert which is quite nice too. The buffet was nice (again not huge flavours) and the dessert buffet was extensive. Mostly salads, roasts and casserole dishes. The Sunday BBQ buffet looked substancial but as I am not much of a meat eater we didnt go.
After 4 days eating at the Braserrie, I HAD to go elsewhere. I REALLY recommend The KIKAU HUT - about 8 minutes walk on the road clockwise. Kevin's food is reasonable, fresh and has lovely flavours. We had the Tom's steak (tender and huge portion), seafood chowder (best ever), fish curry (fresh and nice aromatic flavour). Nice kids menu too. We also ate at the Spagetti House (outside the Edgewater entrance). Better than the Edgewater but not as nice as Kikau. Great pizza (takeways available).

Happy hour is from 5pm - 6pm. Great for $10 cocktails.....

TRANSPORT: The location of the Edgewater is a great plus factor - 7km from town and close to great restaurants. Getting around the island is quite expensive for a family. A shame actually that the bus isn't cheaper. An adult ticket single trip is $4, $7 return and a day pass (on-off's unlimited) is $16. Kids are $4 return. You can also buy concession cards which work out cheaper but as we only found out later the time period didn't warrant the cost. We also hired a bicycle ($20 for day for "newer model" - very sore butt!!!) and scooters which range from $20 - $28 a day. On top of this add your daily licence $7 and your 18 month licence $20 if you want to have the scooter for more than one day. Speed limit is 40km - 50km dependinging on if you wear a helmet or not.

OTHER TIPS: The town is small and the locals are friendly. The shops are well stocked and the prices are on par with NZ so I wouldn't bother bringing standard stuff with you. WIGMORE's store near Moana Sands has the BIGGEST icecreams ever at only $3 for a double scoop. They also sell cakes and other yummy stuff. The donuts on sale at various places (and conveniently one located about 5 min anti-clockwise walk from the Edgewater) are an absolute must. Yes - I came back with extra weight...on my hips and thighs!!! Right Price is down the road as well - basics.

MEDICAL: My son got an infection (he is prone to boils) and the hospital down the road was more than adequate. Cost us $20 for the check up and medication.

CUSTOMS: Yes the alcohol is cheaper than in NZ. For instance Malibu Rum was $27 a bottle while in NZ its $30 if you buy 2 at Duty Free.
Don't bring any fruit and vegetables in. They took away our apples. We could keep the salami though. Don't bother buying apples in Raro...floury.

I LOVED RAROTONGA and I will be back. We may stay elsewhere for a change but from what I saw (we had a look at the Rarotongan, the Pacific Resort) I think the Edgewater is lovely - open with best snorkling in Raro. The western side resorts are great for sunsets.

I Recommend staying at the EDGEWATER!!!!

Room Tip: upper floor, rooms in 3000 or 4000 block preferably
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank twetwe
Edgewatersunset, Sales & Marketing at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Kia Orana twetwe,

Thank you for your comprehensive review on your recent stay at The Edgewater Resort & Spa. We are pleased that you did end up here by default and that you and your family had a wonderful holiday at our Resort!
We have passed on your comments regarding the Brasserie with our Food & Beverage Manager.
Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you and your family back in the Cook Islands again!

Kia Manuia

Reviewed August 2, 2011

We went to the resort in 2009 as a family of four. We arrived at raro at 4:00 in the morning still hot! Then as we were getting on to the bus a women greeted us and gave us flowers to hang around our neacks. We got to the resort and our room. Beds were hard but we didn't care we were so tired! Woke up the next morning had some BRILLIANT breakfast then spent our day exploring the resort. We loved the beach it was lovely we went snookering but the lunches got abit boring after a while! Had a lovely stay and did u know it only takes one hour to drive around the island.....

• Stayed: September 2010
Edgewatersunset, Sales & Marketing Manager at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Kia Orana Lozyr 123
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor and your wonderful commentary! It sounds as though you had a terrific holiday. We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience on arrival with garland (neck Ei/leis) meet and greet on arrival. It is our Polynesian way of welcoming guests to our shore. We were pleased that you had chance to try our breakfast on the morning of arrival. With our location we are sheltered on the Western side of Rarotonga with stunning sunset, white sandy beach and of course a great snorkelling area as mentioned above. I do agree with your experience of Rarotonga which normally takes 1 hour drive to discover the whole island and if you are a genius like some of our returnee guests it takes only 30-40 minutes to drive around the island. Thank you for your constructive view with our lunch as we in the process of adding additional new menus.

We look forward in welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Many thanks and Warm Regards