Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
1863 Bar Bistro Rooms(Pooley Bridge)
US$198
Official Site
Waterfoot Park(Pooley Bridge)(Great Value!)
US$24
Pitchup.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Ullswater Guest House(Pooley Bridge)
Hillcroft Park(Pooley Bridge)
Pitchup.com
The Sun Inn(Pooley Bridge)
TripAdvisor
Pooley Bridge Inn(Pooley Bridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsafternoon teagarden roomthe main housesconesamuse bouchesticky toffee puddingscallopsoverlooking the lakebay windowper headlunch menuspecial occasionthe main dining roomherdwick lambpre dessertwine listmany years
Reviewed August 8, 2017

My husband and I enjoyed gorgeous morning coffee and home made biscuits at this wonderful hotel this morning. The lovely receptionist gave us a table next to the window, overlooking Ullswater. Breath-taking views and tranquility made for a perfect holiday morning. We were then invited to look around the gardens, which are beautiful. I look forward to a return visit, hopefully to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lyno42
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017

Dear lyno42,

thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to us, I hope you are able to make your next visit a longer one - and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 6, 2017

One of our little treats in life is afternoon tea at a prestigious location and it has to be said we have done quite a few. As we have a holiday home in the Lake District and have eaten there before, we thought we would give Sharrow Bay another whirl.

As it turns out they are relying on their reputation nowadays and the experience was a disaster. A catalogue of poor quality and shoddy service, but where to start? We were booked to "join them for tea" at 1600 hours, arrived at 15.30 and announced ourselves. We were told to sit in the quiet rooms and someone would be along to seat us at the appointed time. That time came and went as they promptly forgot about us until we drew their attention to the oversight at four fifteen.

We were escorted to a table and seated where we were given a choice of teas ..... Hobsons choice! We got breakfast tea in a teapot resembling a commumity centre cast away. There was cutlery missing and the single plate was just about ok for a small biscuit. The sweet and savoury offerings were delivered on a wooden carrier???

The offerings, sandwiches, sausage roll and cakes were all very poor quality, better being available from your local supermarket. The sandwiches were made from bread buns and what appeared to be sliced stottie cake with a filling on top. The sausage roll would be at home in a dockers lunchbox and the cakes were suffering from heat exposure.

Once served there was no one in attendance to provide additional service. If something was needed then you had to get up from your table and go and find someone. The one plate you were given at the beginning remained for the duration without being changed ( well there was no one in attendance to do so!) and by the end of the afternoon, it resembled a small mountain of unfinished food both sweet and savoury.

There is little point in going on as readers must be getting the picture?

Sharrow Bay is a beautiful location and we have eaten there many times with great delight and impression, so it hasnt always been this way. So sad because a great name is now being tarnished with this below standard service.

Very disappointed indeed.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank julieandtonyhardy
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Dear julieandtonyhardy,

Objectively, if you did not enjoy your Afternoon Tea there are more polite ways of saying so, but then objectivity does not seem to be the point of your review.

It has quite an air of joyful relish in its rudeness, and readiness to insult.

'Hobson's choice', (for teas from one of the country's best suppliers?), 'community centre cast away... (we assume you mean off), dockers lunch box... cakes with heat exposure...

Normally I take all constructive criticism on board as we constantly aspire to deliver the highest standards of both product and service, but in this case there is nothing to be concluded that is helpful.

Whilst mistakes are always human, our staff work very hard to deliver the levels of service we expect them to. Our food is made daily to order. We are known for the exceptional quality of our Afternoon Teas, if in any way a guest felt disappointed with them, we would always be more than happy to address those issues on the day. But then sometimes it is the TripAdvisor review which is the point, particularly one seeking to be so derogatory.

We are aware of the expectations set by Sharrow Bay's heritage, and whilst it is one we work hard to live up to, I can assure you we do not complacently trade on it.

Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

An Iconic hotel with a reputation that it can no longer rely on . We went for lunch with friends we'd never been before but had heard so much about the place all very good ,the location is second to none beautiful views across the lake . We were greeted by an amiable couple on arrival who new our friends from previous visits they were very pleasant but stains on the gentlemen who took our order were not what I expected . The food was very good but not great . Waitresses were excellent but again the dress standards were poor .The decor could do with an update wallpaper pealing from walls generally shabby and tired all round . Reputation is all very well but you have to keep up standards.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank john p

Dear john p,

thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit.

As you say you heard, we do have a very good reputation - which is based on our current levels of hospitality.

I wish I could post pictures in response to some points made in reviews, as they are worth more than a 1,000 words, and would illustrate my points more perfectly than a verbal reply. In the past we have been criticised because guests have found our staff uniforms overly formal. Cleanliness is mandatory without question, though a working shift can be demanding and we do not issue aprons to staff.

I do appreciate your feedback, however I feel it could have been made more effectively in person at the time of your visit.

Reviewed August 2, 2017

On Sunday 30th July as a special treat for my wife's birthday we had booked for afternoon tea at this beautiful locations and our expectations were high. When we arrived we were shown to our table with a spectacular view across the lake. The food arrived, however my wife was using the restroom at the time and the waiter said he would come back when she returned and explain what was on offer. Unfortunately he never came back so we just started to eat what was provided to us. At no point during our afternoon tea did anyone approach to ask if we needed any more champagne, and more tea or any further drinks. Having paid £90 for the experience I would have expected better service. I did mention this at the reception desk when I went to pay my bill however while my feedback was accepted there was no offer of any recompense for the poor service. Whilst the afternoon tea was very enjoyable I did feel slightly let down by the lack of service and attention.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gillian C
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2017

Dear Gillian C,

thank you for your review, your very first.

I do wholeheartedly apologise for the service you describe receiving, and was so surprised by your comments that I spoke to everyone who was on service that day.

They are all well trusted and experienced members of the team, who provide excellent service. I can vouch for their professionalism and find it inconceivable that they would behave in the way you describe.

If you had voiced concerns during your Tea, amends would have course have been made where necessary.

Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

Spent two nights here with my partner as a staging point on our journey to the Scottish Highlands. We were accommodated in the gate house sharing with three other apartments. Our suit was decorated in a very classic timeless English country house style, more akin to 1940 than 2017, and tastefully implemented. The beds are very comfy, there is plentiful hot water and the towels are changed twice daily.

As to the main part of the hotel this is situated right on the shores of Ullswater offering beautiful views of the lake from the sun terrace, drawing and main dining room. The hotel is decorated with an eclectic mix of bric-a-brac collected possibly from every antique shop in the country.

Food wise the hotel offers an excellent breakfast with a choice of a gourmet lunch or dinner tasting menu , the latter comes with a supplementary charge for accompanying wine. Certainly plentiful to eat and tasty too. The restaurant is open to residents and non residents alike and booking is very much a given in high season. We found the staff to be very hospitable and welcoming.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Servicised
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Dear Serviced,

thank you for your very positive comments - we make very little of the fact that most of the Lodge Rooms are suites as they have always been so, so thank you for noting that.

As the original Country House Hotel, that named the genre, our decor is very traditional - but welcoming and relaxing.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, and hope you had a good onwards journey.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Sharrow Bay.