“Time travel is possible.”

Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pooley Bridge
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Arriving at Sharrow Bay my wife and I expected a premier room inside the main building, however we were informed that for reasons that suited the hotel we had been upgraded to the Cottage Suite. As we had two heavy bags with us the short walk to the Cottage door from the nearby car port was appreciated. On entering we issued several 'Wows' as we surveyed the beautiful lounge, bedroom and views over the lake. The biggest 'Wow' however was reserved for what was probably the biggest bathroom we have ever used anywhere in the world. So far ten out of ten for accommodation.

The area to rear of the hotel is given over to formal gardens and fabulous does not do them justice. Having just driven from a hotel in Scotland that had ignored its gardens for years they were a pleasure to behold. My wife, being a keen gardener was truly taken aback. These sit in front of the cottage and front the unrestricted view of Ullswater and the hills beyond.

After exploring the grounds we settled on the terrace for a pre dinner drink. I can honestly say the view on a warm and sunny evening equalled anything the Italian lakes could offer....without having to drive through France to get there.

Dinner was booked for seven p.m. and our drinks and menus were presented in the lounge. Dress code for dinner is quoted as smart casual with no sport clothing but it was evident from other diners that tradition has been maintained over the years and that jackets and ties are still very much favored. Perhaps it might be fair to say that this is not a hotel that the young and fashionable might be totally comfortable in. If you value the principles and traditions of years gone by then you will feel very much at home.

Ladies fashions ranged from modern to some that seemed straight out of the past. I am not sure if wearing ones 'coming out' dress from the fifties is common, but it seemed quite normal at Sharrow Bay.

The menu was a little restrictive for anyone not fond of seafood but a couple of meat courses were offered and we chose the lamb. The wine list however was something else. Extensive and wide ranging not only for type but for price. Errant footballers and their WAG's who might stumble upon the hotel may fancy the Jeroboam of Cristal champagne at £20,000 and for the corporate warrior wishing to flex his Amex in front of a client several wines are available rising to £800 a bottle. That said, to the hotels credit there were plenty of 'normal' wines to choose from that would not break a family budget.

Taking a table at the rear corner of the restaurant my wife and I enjoyed our meals but with the sun having warmed the room through the day the temperature became very hot. Asking for the air conditioner to be turned on produced a compliant response, however this was countered by howls of protest by ladies of a certain vintage who emphasised their displeasure by animatedly wrapping their pashminas around their shoulders to ward off the icy blast. Needless to say the air conditioner was turned off and the meal endured in sauna conditions.

On retiring for bed the hotel suffered a power cut but after a few minutes standby generators were brought on line before normal operation was resumed. Sadly not before we had spent some minutes wandering around in our night clothing outside looking for a circuit breaker board. Our Asian tourist neighbours probably thought this standard practise for a British power cut.

Breakfast was a similar story of warmth in the restaurant. Again the room was very warm without air conditioning but our main, and only real complaint was that after serving our cereal and fruit the staff forgot about our main cooked course. As we sat patiently watching three other couples entering, eating and leaving we noted that an hour and a half had gone by. Asking when our breakfasts would arrive brought reactions of genuine shock and apologies which prompted our meals to appear within a few minutes. Sadly whilst my wife's omelette had been freshly prepared my full English had taken on the consistency of plastic photo props with solid and hard fried eggs accompanying leather like bacon. Frankly not something I had hoped for given the standard of hotel. However, rather than complain, as we had lost so much time over breakfast we paid our bill and left.

Put simply Sharrow Bay is unique and very beautiful but for anyone under fifty it may appear very dowdy and rather stuffy. Whilst new to my wife and I, it seems to be a national institution and that's to its credit.

Our impression was of a hotel frozen in time somewhere around the fifties and my comment to my wife on rising from breakfast probably summed things up best. 'Come on dear. Let's find the Tardis and return to 2017'.

Room Tip: Tuck your shirt in and wear your tie to dinner!
3  Thank BoeingBoy
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear BoeingBoy,

thank you for your very kind comments about Sharrow Bay, it is beautiful as you say; and for your wittily entertaining review.

I do find it incomprehensible you would have waited 1.5 hrs for your breakfast, (please contact me directly on info@sharrowbay.co.uk with more details).

However, you have inspired me to consider a change of dress code - full ballgowns all the times, and tiaras, then Sharrow Bay will constantly look like the elegant backdrop to a Cecil Beaton shoot.

People often comment on the age of our customers as if it is a bad thing, we have Cold War Test Pilots, International Sporting Stars, and well known Actors and Artists amongst our regular guests, does age diminish their talents and achievements?

We value all our guests, and I hope we can welcome you back to Sharrow Bay.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I visited the sharrowbay hotel in December 2016 on the run up to Christmas for dinner and I wasn't disapointed I orded the Turkey with Cranberry Sauce Stuffing Pigs in blankets Potatoes and bread and gravy sauce.

and had the traditional Christmas pudding afterwards followed by tea with mind pies

I had a wonderful time and would gladly go again next time I am in the UK for Christmas and new year.

My Thanks goes to everyone who made my visit so enjoyable.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Kwan Ming
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Kwan Ming,

thank you for your kind comments about your Christmas visit, (2017 is already organised despite it being August).

We are ideal for a traditional British Christmas, in the Country House style, so I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal - I hope we can welcome you back again, and look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

My wife & I enjoyed a brief honeymoon stay 12 months ago. It says a great deal for our satisfaction that we chose a similar mid week stay to celebrate our first anniversary- we certainly were not disappointed. We received the same warm friendly welcome of 12months ago and enjoyed a delightful light lunch before being shown to our suite. Whilst we had originally requested the same suite as last year, unfortunately this was not available, but we were allocated "Silver" instead and we were delighted. The same stunning views of the lake, immaculate bathroom, and a four poster bed.

I found some changes to the staff from last year but quite frankly both my wife and I found the service to be excellent and it could not be faulted. The staff could not do enough for you and were at all times friendly and courteous. Food was, as ever, exceptional and our dining experience was once again enhanced by a table by the window with a lake view for which were were grateful.

There is no doubt that this hotel provides a wonderfully relaxing retreat with faultless service. My wife and I look forward to our next visit with great anticipation. Our thanks to management and staff.

1  Thank MEllerton
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear MEllerton,

thank you for your very kind comments, I'm happy to hear we helped you celebrate your 1st Wedding Anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sharrow Bay soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Very comfortable country house hotel.
Staff were great
Food was excellent
Ambiance delightful
The only issue i had was that the internet reception all over the hotel was appalling.
I have no doubt that many people would what a blessing that we could not be contacted by any means but sadly when you run a company it is useful to maintain some sort of contact if possible.
sadly I would have to think twice about returning if this issue remained unresolved.
A relatively competitive resolution to the problem will be available soon without everyone in the area having to buy into it together.
Altogether a very relaxing stay

Room Tip: The Courtyard room offers original quirky design from the many years ago but a delightful example
1  Thank Z6133XQandrewb
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Andrew B,

thank you for your very positive review of Sharrow Bay.

Sadly with regard to the Internet and phone signal we are in the hands of the service providers, and the weather. A relatively competitive solution is definitely not yet available.

However I'm happy to hear you were able to relax and enjoy your stay.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to Sharrow Bay.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

My husband and I enjoyed gorgeous morning coffee and home made biscuits at this wonderful hotel this morning. The lovely receptionist gave us a table next to the window, overlooking Ullswater. Breath-taking views and tranquility made for a perfect holiday morning. We were then invited to look around the gardens, which are beautiful. I look forward to a return visit, hopefully to stay longer next time.

2  Thank lyno42
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear lyno42,

thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to us, I hope you are able to make your next visit a longer one - and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

One of our little treats in life is afternoon tea at a prestigious location and it has to be said we have done quite a few. As we have a holiday home in the Lake District and have eaten there before, we thought we would give Sharrow Bay another whirl.

As it turns out they are relying on their reputation nowadays and the experience was a disaster. A catalogue of poor quality and shoddy service, but where to start? We were booked to "join them for tea" at 1600 hours, arrived at 15.30 and announced ourselves. We were told to sit in the quiet rooms and someone would be along to seat us at the appointed time. That time came and went as they promptly forgot about us until we drew their attention to the oversight at four fifteen.

We were escorted to a table and seated where we were given a choice of teas ..... Hobsons choice! We got breakfast tea in a teapot resembling a commumity centre cast away. There was cutlery missing and the single plate was just about ok for a small biscuit. The sweet and savoury offerings were delivered on a wooden carrier???

The offerings, sandwiches, sausage roll and cakes were all very poor quality, better being available from your local supermarket. The sandwiches were made from bread buns and what appeared to be sliced stottie cake with a filling on top. The sausage roll would be at home in a dockers lunchbox and the cakes were suffering from heat exposure.

Once served there was no one in attendance to provide additional service. If something was needed then you had to get up from your table and go and find someone. The one plate you were given at the beginning remained for the duration without being changed ( well there was no one in attendance to do so!) and by the end of the afternoon, it resembled a small mountain of unfinished food both sweet and savoury.

There is little point in going on as readers must be getting the picture?

Sharrow Bay is a beautiful location and we have eaten there many times with great delight and impression, so it hasnt always been this way. So sad because a great name is now being tarnished with this below standard service.

Very disappointed indeed.

4  Thank julieandtonyhardy
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear julieandtonyhardy,

Objectively, if you did not enjoy your Afternoon Tea there are more polite ways of saying so, but then objectivity does not seem to be the point of your review.

It has quite an air of joyful relish in its rudeness, and readiness to insult.

'Hobson's choice', (for teas from one of the country's best suppliers?), 'community centre cast away... (we assume you mean off), dockers lunch box... cakes with heat exposure...

Normally I take all constructive criticism on board as we constantly aspire to deliver the highest standards of both product and service, but in this case there is nothing to be concluded that is helpful.

Whilst mistakes are always human, our staff work very hard to deliver the levels of service we expect them to. Our food is made daily to order. We are known for the exceptional quality of our Afternoon Teas, if in any way a guest felt disappointed with them, we would always be more than happy to address those issues on the day. But then sometimes it is the TripAdvisor review which is the point, particularly one seeking to be so derogatory.

We are aware of the expectations set by Sharrow Bay's heritage, and whilst it is one we work hard to live up to, I can assure you we do not complacently trade on it.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

An Iconic hotel with a reputation that it can no longer rely on . We went for lunch with friends we'd never been before but had heard so much about the place all very good ,the location is second to none beautiful views across the lake . We were greeted by an amiable couple on arrival who new our friends from previous visits they were very pleasant but stains on the gentlemen who took our order were not what I expected . The food was very good but not great . Waitresses were excellent but again the dress standards were poor .The decor could do with an update wallpaper pealing from walls generally shabby and tired all round . Reputation is all very well but you have to keep up standards.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank john p

Dear john p,

thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit.

As you say you heard, we do have a very good reputation - which is based on our current levels of hospitality.

I wish I could post pictures in response to some points made in reviews, as they are worth more than a 1,000 words, and would illustrate my points more perfectly than a verbal reply. In the past we have been criticised because guests have found our staff uniforms overly formal. Cleanliness is mandatory without question, though a working shift can be demanding and we do not issue aprons to staff.

I do appreciate your feedback, however I feel it could have been made more effectively in person at the time of your visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pooley Bridge
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#4 of 20 in Windermere
18.9 km away
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!