All reviewsafternoon teagarden roomthe main houseamuse bouchesticky toffee puddingscallopsoverlooking the lakespecial occasionthe main dining roombirthday treatsausage rollsstunning viewsherdwick lambtea cakestasting menumany yearsamazing setting
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

I visited the sharrowbay hotel in December 2016 on the run up to Christmas for dinner and I wasn't disapointed I orded the Turkey with Cranberry Sauce Stuffing Pigs in blankets Potatoes and bread and gravy sauce.

and had the traditional Christmas pudding afterwards followed by tea with mind pies

I had a wonderful time and would gladly go again next time I am in the UK for Christmas and new year.

My Thanks goes to everyone who made my visit so enjoyable.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank KwanMing
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2017

Dear Kwan Ming,

thank you for your kind comments about your Christmas visit, (2017 is already organised despite it being August).

We are ideal for a traditional British Christmas, in the Country House style, so I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal - I hope we can welcome you back again, and look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed August 11, 2017

My wife & I enjoyed a brief honeymoon stay 12 months ago. It says a great deal for our satisfaction that we chose a similar mid week stay to celebrate our first anniversary- we certainly were not disappointed. We received the same warm friendly welcome of 12months ago and enjoyed a delightful light lunch before being shown to our suite. Whilst we had originally requested the same suite as last year, unfortunately this was not available, but we were allocated "Silver" instead and we were delighted. The same stunning views of the lake, immaculate bathroom, and a four poster bed.

I found some changes to the staff from last year but quite frankly both my wife and I found the service to be excellent and it could not be faulted. The staff could not do enough for you and were at all times friendly and courteous. Food was, as ever, exceptional and our dining experience was once again enhanced by a table by the window with a lake view for which were were grateful.

There is no doubt that this hotel provides a wonderfully relaxing retreat with faultless service. My wife and I look forward to our next visit with great anticipation. Our thanks to management and staff.

1  Thank MEllerton
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Dear MEllerton,

thank you for your very kind comments, I'm happy to hear we helped you celebrate your 1st Wedding Anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sharrow Bay soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2017

Very comfortable country house hotel.
Staff were great
Food was excellent
Ambiance delightful
The only issue i had was that the internet reception all over the hotel was appalling.
I have no doubt that many people would what a blessing that we could not be contacted by any means but sadly when you run a company it is useful to maintain some sort of contact if possible.
sadly I would have to think twice about returning if this issue remained unresolved.
A relatively competitive resolution to the problem will be available soon without everyone in the area having to buy into it together.
Altogether a very relaxing stay

Room Tip: The Courtyard room offers original quirky design from the many years ago but a delightful example
1  Thank Z6133XQandrewb
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2017

Dear Andrew B,

thank you for your very positive review of Sharrow Bay.

Sadly with regard to the Internet and phone signal we are in the hands of the service providers, and the weather. A relatively competitive solution is definitely not yet available.

However I'm happy to hear you were able to relax and enjoy your stay.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to Sharrow Bay.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

My husband and I enjoyed gorgeous morning coffee and home made biscuits at this wonderful hotel this morning. The lovely receptionist gave us a table next to the window, overlooking Ullswater. Breath-taking views and tranquility made for a perfect holiday morning. We were then invited to look around the gardens, which are beautiful. I look forward to a return visit, hopefully to stay longer next time.

2  Thank lyno42
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017

Dear lyno42,

thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to us, I hope you are able to make your next visit a longer one - and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 6, 2017

One of our little treats in life is afternoon tea at a prestigious location and it has to be said we have done quite a few. As we have a holiday home in the Lake District and have eaten there before, we thought we would give Sharrow Bay another whirl.

As it turns out they are relying on their reputation nowadays and the experience was a disaster. A catalogue of poor quality and shoddy service, but where to start? We were booked to "join them for tea" at 1600 hours, arrived at 15.30 and announced ourselves. We were told to sit in the quiet rooms and someone would be along to seat us at the appointed time. That time came and went as they promptly forgot about us until we drew their attention to the oversight at four fifteen.

We were escorted to a table and seated where we were given a choice of teas ..... Hobsons choice! We got breakfast tea in a teapot resembling a commumity centre cast away. There was cutlery missing and the single plate was just about ok for a small biscuit. The sweet and savoury offerings were delivered on a wooden carrier???

The offerings, sandwiches, sausage roll and cakes were all very poor quality, better being available from your local supermarket. The sandwiches were made from bread buns and what appeared to be sliced stottie cake with a filling on top. The sausage roll would be at home in a dockers lunchbox and the cakes were suffering from heat exposure.

Once served there was no one in attendance to provide additional service. If something was needed then you had to get up from your table and go and find someone. The one plate you were given at the beginning remained for the duration without being changed ( well there was no one in attendance to do so!) and by the end of the afternoon, it resembled a small mountain of unfinished food both sweet and savoury.

There is little point in going on as readers must be getting the picture?

Sharrow Bay is a beautiful location and we have eaten there many times with great delight and impression, so it hasnt always been this way. So sad because a great name is now being tarnished with this below standard service.

Very disappointed indeed.

4  Thank julieandtonyhardy
Oliver S, Manager at Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Dear julieandtonyhardy,

Objectively, if you did not enjoy your Afternoon Tea there are more polite ways of saying so, but then objectivity does not seem to be the point of your review.

It has quite an air of joyful relish in its rudeness, and readiness to insult.

'Hobson's choice', (for teas from one of the country's best suppliers?), 'community centre cast away... (we assume you mean off), dockers lunch box... cakes with heat exposure...

Normally I take all constructive criticism on board as we constantly aspire to deliver the highest standards of both product and service, but in this case there is nothing to be concluded that is helpful.

Whilst mistakes are always human, our staff work very hard to deliver the levels of service we expect them to. Our food is made daily to order. We are known for the exceptional quality of our Afternoon Teas, if in any way a guest felt disappointed with them, we would always be more than happy to address those issues on the day. But then sometimes it is the TripAdvisor review which is the point, particularly one seeking to be so derogatory.

We are aware of the expectations set by Sharrow Bay's heritage, and whilst it is one we work hard to live up to, I can assure you we do not complacently trade on it.