“Afternoon coffee with friends”
Review of Roth Bar & Grill

Roth Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Bruton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

Decided to take a friend here for afternoon tea with my partner to enjoy a rare sunny afternoon.

Little disappointed we couldn't sit out in the sun AND enjoy food however we found a table under the canopy which we were 'allowed' to eat at

We ordered two pots of tea and an iced latte, was nice to see the tea was loose leaf and had a bit more to it than a tea bag shoved in a pot. The accompanying cookie and flapjack were a very pleasant side and very delicious.

The only other negative point which reduces my review to a 4* is the tip was pre decided for us and added to the bill.

I don't mind tipping when the service has been good, but for a coffee and tea I personally wouldn't have left a tip as our drinks were delivered and that was it. However it felt rude and petty to dispute - borderline embarrassing - so paid even though it states it is optional.

Had we been allowed to sit in the sun and decide our own tip I would have given the fifth star.

1  Thank Johannaejpage

Reviewed September 8, 2017 via mobile

So two of us went to the Roth Bar at Hauser and Wirth, Bruton, for a coffee the other day. The menu looked delightful and the surroundings were very cool. The coffee was really good, one of the best you can get. One of the waitresses seemed a bit sultry and not so welcoming but perhaps she was having a bad day. Everyone else was super lovely and friendly, so no dramas there. The only thing that was off putting about the visit for us was the fact that when the waiter brought over the card machine, he had automatically applied a gratuity charge! I have no issue with paying gratuity for good service, and I admire his audacity but I'm fairly sure it's my decision as to whether I pay it or not! He wasn't even the actual waiter serving the coffee! As a matter of fact, I prefer to pay a gratuity in cash to my actual server (if I enjoyed the service) which is often much more than the normal 10% that is added onto the bill and perhaps doesn't go directly to the individual waiting staff. So this lad literally mugged his work mate off. Shame!

Jules H, General Manager at Roth Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2017

Thank you for your valued comments, we always appreciate guest feedback and I sincerely apologise that your waitress was sultry, hopefully the rest of the team made up for this. We also welcome the opportunity to act on your feedback, therefore improving our service. All our bills display an optional gratuity of 10% which we are always more than happy to remove, its entirely optional - the waiters will always assist each other to ensure guests are not kept waiting to make payment. If the guest has not asked to remove the optional gratuity, the waiter will enter it separately when taking a card payment. I can assure you that the tips are managed in a professional manner and all the staff opt to share their tips fairly with the whole team here at Roth Bar & Grill. We do hope you will pay us another visit and allow us another opportunity to display the high level of service we all strive to achieve. Best wishes, Jules Horrell

Reviewed September 7, 2017

Loved this the first time we came. The restaurant was quirky and fun with amazing lights and art works. This time it was really boring with just some art work on the walls. I had come to bring a friend to this trendy restaurant but was disappointed by the blandness of the decor. The food on the other hand was excellent and we had a delicious lunch which I would highly recommend. Just a shame they have lost the lovely ambiance.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

We stopped for coffee and cake at the bar at the end of a visit to the attached gallery and gardens and it was delicious! Nice atmosphere and interior decor and friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended!

Reviewed September 5, 2017

After visiting the art gallery, we decided to have lunch in the restaurant and we were not disappointed. Friendly, cheerful and helpful staff. Good choice of food and drinks on the menu and when it arrived it was superb. Thoroughly recommended.