“Tradewinds Club at Aruba Marriott: A 5-star resort with a 5-star staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Tradewinds Club at Aruba Marriott: A 5-star resort with a 5-star staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We recently took our first trip to Aruba and had an incredible time – and staying at the Tradewinds Club at the Marriott went a long way towards our enjoyment of the week.

As soon as our driver pulled up to the hotel, we were greeted by Manny, one of the bellmen at the resort. As he walked us in to the lobby with our bags he asked if we had been there before. When we said no, he stopped for a few moments to familiarize us with the hotel, pointing out the locations and hours of the shops, restaurants and bars, as well as the various exits to the pools and beach – basically giving us the lay of the land. He then took us up to the Tradewinds lounge on the top floor to check in; as we sat down at the desk, he asked if we needed anything to drink and brought us a couple of beers. At the desk, Maria checked us in and also spent several minutes reviewing the amenities of the resort and the schedule for the lounge. She also offered to recommend restaurants and make any reservations if needed. Once we were checked in, Manny (who had waited for us) then showed us to our room.

The room was quite nice: spacious and well appointed, with a sitting area (couch, chair, coffee table) next to the balcony windows, as well as a sizeable bathroom with double vanities and plenty of counter space. They also had a “pillow menu” listing 4 different types of pillows we could request if we wanted additional pillows for the bed. We were in the south tower overlooking the adult pool, which was nice as we did not have any real noise on the balcony coming from down below, and we had a great view of the beach and the ocean as well. We also liked that they had included external wall-inputs for the TV so we were able to hook up our MP3 player and put on some tunes when we were staying in the room.

Of course the main reason for going to Aruba (at least for us) was to relax on the beach, and we were able to do exactly that every day. They have a section of the beach reserved exclusively for guests staying on the Tradewinds floor with a good number of palapas, which we were able to easily procure every morning. However, they do need to be reserved every day (unless you’re camped out in the Governor’s Suite, as that room has its own, always-reserved palapa). On the couple of mornings I walked down with my coffee to reserve one just before 7:00, there were never more than two or three other guests waiting to get one as well, as opposed to the rather long lines we saw at the palapa hut on the main part of the hotel’s beach. And on those mornings that we came down a bit later, it was not an issue then either; I do not think there was a single time during our stay there where every palapa on the Tradewinds section of the beach was taken. In fact, we had the same one (#6) every day.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the Tradewinds beach section was primarily overseen on most days by Hermina – who was simply awesome! She would make sure our chairs were set up under our palapa each morning by the time we returned from breakfast, and would check in with us throughout the day, asking if we needed anything, reminding us when it was time to go up for lunch, and sometimes just hanging out for a bit and shooting the breeze. She also had the task of occasionally having to deal with people who wandered over from the main hotel beach (or elsewhere) and sat themselves at an unused / temporarily-vacated palapa. Each time, she handled this in a totally courteous and professional manner. During the few times she was not working on the beach, Jeremy readily took over these tasks.

The last real amenity of the Tradewinds level worth mentioning is their concierge lounge. They provided both breakfast and lunch every day. The former was fairly substantial, usually offering eggs and / or panckaes, potatoes, bacon and sausage, as well as fresh fruit and assorted breakfast pastries and muffins, coffee and several juice selections. Lunch was usually a bit lighter and typically consisted of a salad bar and two or three types of small wraps or slider-sized sandwiches, and light desserts. In the evening they had hors d’oeuvres available from 6:00-7:00, along with a well-stocked open bar from 6:00 until a bit later (I believe it was 9:00). In addition, sodas, bottled water, juices and beers were readily available in the lounge throughout the entire day. All of the food and drinks offered in the lounge every day were free (well – free in the sense that they were covered by the cost of the room and did not have to be paid for separately). And having these amenities was great – while we went out to dinner every night (usually after a cocktail in the lounge before heading out), we never had to go to one of the hotel restaurants for breakfast or lunch, and we had a constant supply of soda, water and beer to take down with us to the beach.

We did not spend much time at the pool, but on the few afternoons where we wanted to take a quick dip, the adults-only pool was nice so that we did not have to deal with a bunch of kids playing and splashing around us (nothing against said kids, but as were there by ourselves, it made for a bit more relaxing time in the pool). Also, although we did not take advantage of them, guests on the Tradewinds floor are able to rent a cabana at the adult pool for a discounted rate. By the same token, we did appreciate that all guests on the Tradewinds floor had to be at least 18.

A few people here have complained about the lack of WiFi in the rooms…not a big deal for us as we try to turn everything off while on vacation, but they did have wired internet access in the room and, on the one or two occasions where we did fire up the laptop to look up a couple of restaurant menus, it worked just fine, and the lack of in-room WiFi was not a negative at all as far as we were concerned.

In addition to the comfortable room and plethora of amenities, every single staff member we interacted with (including those mentioned in this review) was great. Always with a smile on their face, always taking a moment to ask how our day was going. And, unlike at resorts and hotels in other parts of the world we have traveled to, it felt very genuine every single time.

This was our first trip to Aruba; we fell in love with the island, and plan to return next year. And when we do, we plan to again stay at the Tradewinds Club – it was perfect, so why bother looking anywhere else?

(Note: We hired a car in advance through Wixtours.com to take us to and from the airport – I could not find them listed on TripAdvisor, but we wholeheartedly recommend them for anyone looking to hire such a service while on the island).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Tober138

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,643)
Midlothian, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just back from an Easter break, first time in Aruba. The Marriott Stellaris exceeded our expectations. The hotel is spotless, the rooms are a great size, we were on the north wing overlooking the adult pool. We only tried the Champions sports bar within the hotel, which was fine. Had breakfast at a Taste of Belguim most mornings, which was excellent. Restaurants at night included Fishes and More, Amuse, Smokey Joes, a Taste of Belgium, Plaza la cafe in Oranjestad, and Daniels steak house in Palm Beach.
We ended up going a few times to deli France for lunch, the menu was so extensive and reasonably priced. To get there take the bus outside the Marriott resort, and at the road at the end of Eagle Beach strip the bus turns right at the lights to go into Oranjestad. Get off at the first stop after it turns right (bus stop No 12 written on it). The big supermarkets are on either side of deli France, and you can save a fair bit (should you desire) by buying normal groceries and alcoholic / non alcoholic drinks there. The bus stop back to the resort is right outside Uncle Kennys BBQ cafe. Simply come out of deli France, look towards Oranjestad and you will see Uncle Kennys in front of you
With regards to getting to the main shops / restaurants on Palm beach road , there are several ways for getting there. During the day it is a pleasant 15 minute stroll along the water on the beach, then cut through the Holiday Inn car park staight after walking past Pizza Del Mar (Pelican Pier).
You can also walk along the main road on the grassy embankment then turn right at the sign the says 'high rise' hotels - a 15 - 20 minute stroll. You can take the bus which is 20 minute interval service (Mon - Fri), takes 5 mins and costs $2.30 return. We found the bus a bit hit and miss, but did not really cause a lot of inconvenience. There is the taxi which is 6$ one way.
We walked most of the time, used the bus mainly to deli France and Oranjestad, and used taxi the odd time.
Apologies for not reviewing the hotel in detail, but it has all (good) been said. Thought I would share our experience of the hotel's access to Palm Beach shops and for saving on consumables.

9 Thank dalglish1
Beaver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino for the last week. The staff made all the difference. When they say it is one happy island, they mean it. I NEVER met one staff member that didn't smile and go out of their way to make sure I was enjoying my stay. All areas of the resort was extremely clean, well kept, and maintained. I constantly saw workers cleaning and making sure all was in excellent condition. Our room was spotless (and I look for things--dirt, hairs, etc) I saw absolutely nothing--didn't smell anything gross either. Our cleaning person was the same for the week and she always greeted us with a warm smile as we walked down the hall each morning. What a great way to start the day.
The "snack bar" in the lobby was open 24 hours and had great food as well. Excellent bagel sandwich for the AM and ham sandwich for lunch when we didn't want a big meal. The ice cream was good too.
The adult pool was perfect--again the attendants making all the difference. They were prompt to set up our chairs, get drinks, and again: that great Aruba smile! The beach was clean and had great service there as well. The chairs were well maintained. I've been to some resorts where they get cheap on the chairs: broken or dirty. Not so here.
Being our first visit, we spoke to people about where to eat and such. Most of the people we talked to were regulars: I'm talking 15+ years as returning customers to this resort. That says something about quality, cleanliness, and service of a resort.

The only reason I didn't rate the property an excellent:
--crowds (that being more of a personal preference though). Their were lots of people: in the pool, by the beach, in the lobby. Everywhere.
--The situation with getting a "beach hut" . Shade is needed later in the day and we learned quickly that an early riser is the only way to secure a good spot for later in the day when the sun was extremely hot. We had the same issue with the adult pool.
--Wifi was terrible. I had slow service and downloading took forever. It was only in the lobby and adult pool. I would have like it in my room. I didn't like talking to my family via internet in the lobby.

Mandara Spa:I did three services at the spa. I always do spa days when I travel, so I've been to at least 5 spa's in the last three years. The Mandara Spa was nice over all, but not the best experience I've ever had. I wanted to purchase some items but prices were not marked and although the staff was friendly, I always had to ask the price. I enjoyed a massage and pedicure. The massage was good and the pedi was fair. I am a regular pedicure person and the one I get at home in the local spa was much more attentive than this one. The massage had a great price and the spa itself was a relaxing experience. I also had a facial. The woman was extremely knowledgeable and explained what and why she was doing each step. I appreciate the extra effort with this and it was fabulous! They had little touches that made a big difference too. The cucumber/orange water was divine. It was a perfectly refreshing beverage--such a small thing but it really stood out to me. The tea and cold cloth was nice too. Once again, the staff at the Mandara Spa exceeded my expectations. They were always ready with a smile and patience(I wasn't sure what I wanted--changed my mind several times and they were always so helpful, knowledgeable, and willing to explain things to me).

Hands down, the number one favorite aspect that I loved about this resort was the people. They were happy and that positive feeling proved to be contagious. All of the Marriott resorts near us were exceedingly clean (there are three sections).
Well done Marriott!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pamalakiw
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed for one week with our two young boys (ages 5 &7). The property is beautiful and so well kept. Beautiful beach and great pools. Staff was wonderful in all areas--main desk, restaurants, grounds. We were so pleased with their service. Our rooms (adjoining) were spacious and very nice. The cleaning staff in our section, Anicasia and Maribel, were friendly, responsive, and very sweet to the boys. They took such good care of us and went above and beyond--even brought us ice each day once they saw we used it in the afternoons! We enjoyed the fitness center and the programs offered at the Ocean Club next door (yoga class, "feed the iguanas" every morning, other activities for kids). This was our second stay at this property but our first with the kids. The week was busy with several corporate groups, but they didn't take over. It is pricey but that should not be a surprise. To save a bit, it's a short cab ride to a grocery store, or a nice walk down the beach to other (less expensive) restaurants. In all, we love Aruba and really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: Ground floor was great for us with our children--we could access the room by the patio if one of us...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank D D
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I cannot even wait to get home before writing this review so I have joined trip advisor and I write this from the lobby because there is no wireless by the pol or in the room. From day 1 there have been a multitude of issues with this hotel. First and foremost with all the money that must be going into the Ritz Carlton next door, they are letting this one go. It is far from the highest category that they claim. On our first day we tried to get towels for the pool and we were told there were none. When I asked when they might get them, I was told he was not sure but probably not at all, but I could go to my room an get them.

In general there are a lot of rude employees on the property that do not care much about customer service, which definatley takes away from the awesome ones that are here like Lilibeth at Vista.

The toilets by the pool are disgusting and dilapidated and lack any sort of upkeep. No toilet paper no paper towels, mould and rust on the easily replacable ceiling tiles.

I am about ready to check out move to the Hyatt which is by far a higher caliber hotel. I used 210,000 points for this vacation plus several hundred dollars and am spending several hundred a day on the property. It took a lot of stays and Marriott Credit Card purchases to earn those points and to pay a premium this week and use all those points it is a waste.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank MIA579
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I would have given this resort a 5 expect for lack of wifi. Lap tops still need the wire to be connected to the phone line in the room and wifi on phones was limited to lobby area. Although it is nice to disconnect on vacation, some vacationers need to still in touch with work. At night the rooms got a little warm. Even though I set the AC on lower, it need seemed to cool. Day time AC was fine. Locals were fabulous as were beaches.

Room Tip: We have an oversized beach/garden view on south wing. Two queen beds. Sixth floor. perfect.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bentley29
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have stayed here 4 of the last 5 years. The only issue here is the construction going on on the North side of the building. If you are using Marriott points you will be stuck in the construction zone. I have tried several years in a row to negotiate my way out of the construction zone with no luck. The only way out is to pay cash to upgrade to a different room type or location. Once past that ordeal (I upgraded with a significant cash contribution to a 1200 ft2 Governor Suite which is expensive but fantastic!) we enjoyed another restful week. Everything here is clean and well maintained. The facilities are 5 star. The maid service is fast and effecicient. The weather here is perfect every day so thats a given. The new adult pool is quiet and very private. If you dont want to listen to screaming children all day the adult pool is the place to go. Service out on the beach is good. Food is average Marriott fare. Next year if the construction is not finished we'll go somewhere else. I hate having to negotiate at the front desk when Im on vacation. If it is finished we'll come back here again. This resort provides a very high quality experience.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the construction. The South tower is quieter.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,676 reviews
0.6 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,311 reviews
1.1 km away
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,146 reviews
6.9 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
1.4 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!