“Aruba” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Kalmar
“Aruba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Verry nice service at the hotel and verry good food in the restaurangs.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We enjoyed Amserdam Manor and especially being on Eagle Beach which is the best.We liked our room and it was on 1st floor facing water.The office staff was great-Jean at the desk was very polite and we did find a bottle of champagne in our room as it was our 35th anniversary.Myra the concierge was helpful in making suggestions for restaurants and things to do.She made all our reservations.Napolitean greeted us with a beautiful smile and a welcoming drink and was efficient bringing luggage to our room.Peter was very friendly at the bar on the outside desk.Played great music and he made great drinks.Loved Passions Restaurant on the beach.Tables in the sand, torches on as the sunset,food was very good, and Eleanora and Miriam were very efficient with their food service.Liked outdoor bar on the beach-remember Lucy's name and forgot the other staff names but all were great with service and drinks.Thanks again for a wonderful time.Liked the ease of transfer to and from airport from the hotel through DePalms.Enjoyed snorkeling tour on catamaran.Great trip!

Room Tip: Found our room quiet and it was on 1st floor and facing the water.Liked that there was small kitchen...
1 Thank kroy60
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from this resort. We were really looking forward to our trip based on the excellent reviews from TripAdvisor. First, I had to call the resort concierge multiple times to determine if we had a rental car reserved and whether they were picking us up at the airport. I was put on hold for 15 minutes on an international call and they did not have an answer for me. This was the day before we were arriving. Finally we received an e mail confirmation. Once we arrived at the airport we had to walk around and ask for help to find the person that was supposed to greet us. This person was supposed to have an identifying shirt/uniform and a sign with our name on it, according to the concierge e mail. I asked a guide and they said the car rental people were not allowed in the airport and they all wait across the street. We found someone saying they were there to pick us up but they could not tell me the name of the customer. Eventually, after I made him call and get our name, we proceeded. I would not recommend Supercar although that is what the concierge chose for us.

We arrived at the manor early, received refreshing rum punch from Napolean and went grocery shopping as check was not until 4PM. At 4PM our room was not ready and I had an argument with the young man at the front desk as I was concerned about our perishables in the car in the heat. He finally got his supervisor and she put us in another room at 4:20PM. I am not sure why the young man at the front desk could not do this instead of arguing with me. We had make reservations at Passions via the concierge for that evening and when we arrived, there were no reservations even though I had the e mail confirming our reservations via the concierge. The concierge chose the wrong day and made reservations the night before we arrived. Fortunately they were nice enough to find us a table on the beach. After a wonderful dinner, we went back to our room and were awakened by a phone call from Passions saying our receipt had blown away and we had to sign another one. They insisted on coming over even though I was in bed and it could not wait until morning. My poor wife was so upset she was ready to leave.

Next morning I attempted to make breakfast and there was no gas coming into the burners. So we could not enjoy breakfast as it took a couple hours to get that fixed. I requested to speak with a property manager and filled her in on all our problems, she wrote everything down and offered to send over two complimentary breakfast coupons. The next day I had to go to the front desk and request these coupons as they never arrived. Two days later we decided to have a nice dinner in the suite so we bought some fresh seafood and surprise no gas to the burners again. About 1.5 hours later they offered to buy us dinner at Mango's but we had already spent money on the food and it had to be cooked. So we cooked in another room and brought it back to our room to eat. Very inconvenient. I again complained and at this point asked for some sort of discount because clearly there were multiple times we could not use the services in our room even though we were paying for them. They asked me what I thought was fair and I said I would like one full night taken off the bill. In the end they offered to pay for the first night dinner at Passions which was less than half of my request for a full night off. I agreed as I had no fight left in me and I wanted to get out of there, but if they had accepted my terms I would not have spent so much negative energy on this review.

So, while most of the people at this manor were very nice and this is a pleasant, laid back resort, I was very disappointed with the concierge service,with the problems encountered with the room and the way they decided to compensate us in the end.

On a pleasant note, Peter (the bartender) was terrific and he is a model employee. While I would not come back to this resort, I would come back to Aruba and I would stop by to have a drink and a laugh with him.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the pool bar if you prefer quiet in the evening hours.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank KoshaPelota
AMBRManager, Director of Sales at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
We value every review that is posted and we are sorry to hear that their stay with us was a "surprisingly bad experience". However, we disagree with this review. We regret that we were not able to fix the problem with the gas immediately. The problem was a valve that had been turned off without reason and it took seconds to open once we realized it. Our concierge did take the correct data that the guest sent via email and made the correct reservation for dinner. However, the guest had emailed an incorrect date and therefore the inconvenience.

The guest spoke with our front desk manager regarding his inconvenience of the gas and the dinner reservation (which was not our error) and demanded a free night that, according to his attorney who he had communicated with, he would be entitled to. We sincerely believe that the guest was inconvenienced with the gas. We apologized for this and offered them 2 free breakfasts and the dinner at Passions in excess of $200 as compensation. The guest was still not satisfied and left.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We just returned from a week at the Amsterdam Manor. We loved it. The staff were super friendly, the location is outstanding and the rooms were perfect for a family (we stayed in a two bedroom). Crossing the "road" to the beach is a complete non-issue. The Arubian drivers are so courteous that you never have to worry about the traffic. The hotel has a bus stop in each direction right out back and the bus service is outstanding. The only downside is that the breakfast buffet can get a bit old after a few days and there are not many options for dining near the hotel (same goes for lunch) but the quality of the food is fine. The staff was super friendly, Mayra the concierge was so helpful. GREAT beach, bus line to all points on the island. We highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IamaPittsburgher
South Lyon, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We arrived at The Amsterdam Manor at 3pm and were immediately greeted in the lobby by Napoleon with rum punch already poured for us. Our room was ready as promised with a beach view upon our arrival.

The Amsterdam Manor is a very clean hotel with friendly staff always ready to respond to questions. The proximity to the beach was great and there was not a lot of noise at this hotel. The surroundings are very pleasant with many restaurants within walking distance. As others have mentioned, the bus stop is located right in front and either took us to the high rise area (Palm Beach) or town (Oranjestand)

Mangos restaurant was excellent for breakfast and dinner. The pool bar had a happy hour most days from 5-6 and 9-10pm. Peter, the bartender, made our happy hours "happy" as he is very pleasant and great conversationalist.

The room was cleaned daily including a mopping of the tiled floor. Very clean and pleasant room.

My only complaint is the the air conditioning did not seem to be cooling enough especially at night. We called the front desk and maintenance responded within minutes. The issue was that any attempt to repair the unit did not seem to be effective as the remaining 3 nights were very warm in the room with the A/C set at 66. If you are assigned room C13 check the A/C before you unpack.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend and we would definitely stay at the Amsterdam Manor again.

Room Tip: Check the A/C before you unpack
5 Thank Bob G
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We arrived in port on Valentine’s Day and took a city bus for $2.00 each to Amsterdam Manor on Eagle Beach. We toured the hotel, small quaint property across the road from the beach. The folks at the front desk were very nice and directed us to the beach bar where we rented two chairs and a palapa (thatched umbrella). This was a very ideal spot, the sand was very white and the water was perfect turquoise blue color. We ordered a couple drinks from the bar, swam and soaked up the sun before heading back to Oranjestad. This was a very beautiful and romantic way to spend the day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ocean0808cruiser
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My fiancee and entire family stayed at Amsterdam Manor during our wedding. It is right on the beach. Crossing the road to the beach is simple. It's right next to the divi divi trees. It's easy to jump on the bus to go to the high rise area or downtown. There is much more beach than the high rise area (not to mention, the cabanas are actually free). We had a much better time here than a later trip where we stayed at the Westin (overpriced, and they nickel and dimed us). Needless to say, if we go back to Aruba, this is where we'll be staying.

• Stayed May 2011
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,657 reviews
2.6 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,797 reviews
3.3 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews
4.2 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!