“Perfect for a mix of everything”

Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just came back from our one week stay at the Amsterdam Manor and we were totally happy with the hotel, its location and its service. If you are NOT a fan of high rise hotels and the like this is the perfect place for you. Just a 5 minute drive from the high rise hotels and all its American style restaurants and nevertheless a beautiful beach which is not too secluded.
The staff is totally friendly, the beach is clean, there are enough deckchairs (although the towel race for shady spaces in the morning is a NUISANCE).
In the eventing the beach turns into an exclusive restaurant ON the beach (which we haven't tried).
The hotel is clean and breakfast is perfectly ok with everything you need for a nice start into the day.
If you are a weak sleeper, you should however bring earplugs, since some nights the streets between the hotel and the beach becomes rather busy and loud.
So - feel free to enjoy this feel good hotel just the way we did.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FancyTravelling

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel in March and had a great time! First of all, we were very happy with our room; we had a standard room in the C-block (C12) and it was absolutely fine - plenty of room for us, a little kitchen with everything we needed, and a small balcony with a view of the ocean. I read a lot of comments here on TA about the airconditioning in the C-block, but we experienced no problems with the airconditioning whatever: no condensation or cold or anything like that. The dehumidifier was quite loud, and we would simply switch it off whenever we were in the room and switch it on again when we went out. We usually kept the AC on at night, but sometimes switched it off when it wasn't too hot and we had the balcony doors open. No problem!
We were also very happy with housekeeping - service was excellent, we asked the housekeeper to always come in the morning and she did, and she kept the room spotless. Great job!
We never actually used the hotel pool, although it was always quiet there at the time of our stay - we simply preferred the ocean! Never had any problems getting a place at the beach, although the palapas were usually taken by the time we went to the beach in the afternoon. But there were always chairs and palm trees available - really a non-issue for us. We had dinner once at Passions; much recommended, if only for the ambiance. It's just so wonderful to sit with your feet in the soft sand, right next to the ocean, and watch the sun go down... But the food and the service were great as well.
We also tried Mango's for dinner on our first night, but were less impressed. Service was fast and friendly, but the food wasn't that great. And the one thing I wouldn't recommend at Amsterdam Manor is breakfast; we tried it twice, and both times service, while friendly, was slow and chaotic: the first time my husband waited about half an hour for his pancakes, the second time we had to wait half an hour to get our check. And we saw lots of people waiting to get their tables cleared, etc. It just all seemed really badly organized. Also, the buffet itself is nothing to write home about. Fortunately we didn't have breakfast included, so after our second try we would just take the bus to the highrise section (very convenient BTW, the bus stops right in front of the hotel, and goes every 10 to 15 minutes) and have breakfast at the Rembrandt café opposite the Hyatt in the highrise section: tasty, fast and at half the price.
But breakfast apart, we had a great time at the Amsterdam Manor, and we're already thinking about our next visit to Aruba and to Amsterdam Manor!

Room Tip: Try a room in the C-block on the second or third floor: away from the pool and the main hub of the h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Mascha88
Laura817, Director of Sales at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you had a great time with us. Just after you left we introduced our new breakfast station with freshly prepared eggs any style, waffles, French toast, egg salad, smoothies and much more. We hope to welcome you again at our resort so that you can enjoy our new breakfast options without waiting lines anymore.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Have stayed at the Amsterdam Manor twice the service and staff are first rate the Hotel and accomodations are excellent and both Mango's and Passions restaurant offer great meals, excellent service and great company... The atmosphere and staff will make you want to return.. again and again..

Room Tip: The pool side rooms are outstanding...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank cptsned
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The accomdations were very nice in our two bedroom suite. We booked a one bedroom but were upgraded at no cost when we arrived. We also requested early check-in because we arrived at noon and they were able to accomodate that. The beach accross the street is very easy to walk to, its almost like you are staying right on the beach. We were a little annoyed by all the people who go over to the beach in the morning to save chairs but we still found that there were spots available. The pool area is very nice as well. We ate a passions, which was great for dinner and lunch. Mango's breakfast is a bit pricey but otherwise very nice. Mango's dinner menu is nice and the food is excellent. If I book another trip to Aruba, I will stay here again without a doubt.

5  Thank Massachusetts07
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Verry nice service at the hotel and verry good food in the restaurangs.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We enjoyed Amserdam Manor and especially being on Eagle Beach which is the best.We liked our room and it was on 1st floor facing water.The office staff was great-Jean at the desk was very polite and we did find a bottle of champagne in our room as it was our 35th anniversary.Myra the concierge was helpful in making suggestions for restaurants and things to do.She made all our reservations.Napolitean greeted us with a beautiful smile and a welcoming drink and was efficient bringing luggage to our room.Peter was very friendly at the bar on the outside desk.Played great music and he made great drinks.Loved Passions Restaurant on the beach.Tables in the sand, torches on as the sunset,food was very good, and Eleanora and Miriam were very efficient with their food service.Liked outdoor bar on the beach-remember Lucy's name and forgot the other staff names but all were great with service and drinks.Thanks again for a wonderful time.Liked the ease of transfer to and from airport from the hotel through DePalms.Enjoyed snorkeling tour on catamaran.Great trip!

Room Tip: Found our room quiet and it was on 1st floor and facing the water.Liked that there was small kitchen...
1  Thank kroy60
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from this resort. We were really looking forward to our trip based on the excellent reviews from TripAdvisor. First, I had to call the resort concierge multiple times to determine if we had a rental car reserved and whether they were picking us up at the airport. I was put on hold for 15 minutes on an international call and they did not have an answer for me. This was the day before we were arriving. Finally we received an e mail confirmation. Once we arrived at the airport we had to walk around and ask for help to find the person that was supposed to greet us. This person was supposed to have an identifying shirt/uniform and a sign with our name on it, according to the concierge e mail. I asked a guide and they said the car rental people were not allowed in the airport and they all wait across the street. We found someone saying they were there to pick us up but they could not tell me the name of the customer. Eventually, after I made him call and get our name, we proceeded. I would not recommend Supercar although that is what the concierge chose for us.

We arrived at the manor early, received refreshing rum punch from Napolean and went grocery shopping as check was not until 4PM. At 4PM our room was not ready and I had an argument with the young man at the front desk as I was concerned about our perishables in the car in the heat. He finally got his supervisor and she put us in another room at 4:20PM. I am not sure why the young man at the front desk could not do this instead of arguing with me. We had make reservations at Passions via the concierge for that evening and when we arrived, there were no reservations even though I had the e mail confirming our reservations via the concierge. The concierge chose the wrong day and made reservations the night before we arrived. Fortunately they were nice enough to find us a table on the beach. After a wonderful dinner, we went back to our room and were awakened by a phone call from Passions saying our receipt had blown away and we had to sign another one. They insisted on coming over even though I was in bed and it could not wait until morning. My poor wife was so upset she was ready to leave.

Next morning I attempted to make breakfast and there was no gas coming into the burners. So we could not enjoy breakfast as it took a couple hours to get that fixed. I requested to speak with a property manager and filled her in on all our problems, she wrote everything down and offered to send over two complimentary breakfast coupons. The next day I had to go to the front desk and request these coupons as they never arrived. Two days later we decided to have a nice dinner in the suite so we bought some fresh seafood and surprise no gas to the burners again. About 1.5 hours later they offered to buy us dinner at Mango's but we had already spent money on the food and it had to be cooked. So we cooked in another room and brought it back to our room to eat. Very inconvenient. I again complained and at this point asked for some sort of discount because clearly there were multiple times we could not use the services in our room even though we were paying for them. They asked me what I thought was fair and I said I would like one full night taken off the bill. In the end they offered to pay for the first night dinner at Passions which was less than half of my request for a full night off. I agreed as I had no fight left in me and I wanted to get out of there, but if they had accepted my terms I would not have spent so much negative energy on this review.

So, while most of the people at this manor were very nice and this is a pleasant, laid back resort, I was very disappointed with the concierge service,with the problems encountered with the room and the way they decided to compensate us in the end.

On a pleasant note, Peter (the bartender) was terrific and he is a model employee. While I would not come back to this resort, I would come back to Aruba and I would stop by to have a drink and a laugh with him.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the pool bar if you prefer quiet in the evening hours.
8  Thank KoshaPelota
AMBRManager, Director of Sales at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

We value every review that is posted and we are sorry to hear that their stay with us was a "surprisingly bad experience". However, we disagree with this review. We regret that we were not able to fix the problem with the gas immediately. The problem was a valve that had been turned off without reason and it took seconds to open once we realized it. Our concierge did take the correct data that the guest sent via email and made the correct reservation for dinner. However, the guest had emailed an incorrect date and therefore the inconvenience.

The guest spoke with our front desk manager regarding his inconvenience of the gas and the dinner reservation (which was not our error) and demanded a free night that, according to his attorney who he had communicated with, he would be entitled to. We sincerely believe that the guest was inconvenienced with the gas. We apologized for this and offered them 2 free breakfasts and the dinner at Passions in excess of $200 as compensation. The guest was still not satisfied and left.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
3.4 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3.7 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
2.8 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
1.4 km away
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
2.1 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
2.5 km away
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!