“Nice Little Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Nice Little Hotel”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Reviewing this hotel is somewhat perspective based depending upon ones expectations. If you expect to have lots of ammenities and an immaculate room as shown in the professionally done photos you may be disappointed. If you are open minded and expect to spend little time in your room or on the property then this is the hotel for you.

Upon arrival we were ushered into an older room that had not as of yet been renovated nor was it well cleaned. I complained about the room and management attended the room with me and agreed that it had not been properly cleaned. The room was immediately cleaned and the following morning we were ushered into a different room that had recently been renovated and was wonderful. It was cleaned daily and the towels were changed very regularely but a few times we were missing a towel or two as we were three in the room but this was a very minor issue. The beds and bedding were very clean and comfortable as well.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the high rise hotel area and there are numerous restaurants, clubs and ample shopping within a minutes walk. The hotel is not situated on the beach but it is a walk of less than five minutes to get there. The hotel provides / made arrangements for both beach towels as well as beach chairs but if you wish to sit in a shaded area of the beach (hut,tent ect) you will need to pay extra.

The daily continental breakfast that is included with your stay at the hotel was very simple and included excellent fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee or tea as well as some toast, a muffin and a croisant was well as a couple of slices of fruit some cheese slices and a pieces of grilled ham. Unfortunately, each day was an adventure as there was little consistency as to what each person received at breakfast. Often one or two of the aformentioned items was missing (no muffin one day no croissant the next). However, if you wished you could order from the menu (and pay) for a more North American breakfast (bacon, eggs, pancakes) there or walk in any direction and get breakfast (reasonable price) at a number of nearby restaurants.

The hotel staff was generally very accomodating and helpful. I spoke with Juan Koyter, the hotel manager, as well as several of his staff including Giovanni (nmaintenance), Jo Ann Cremony (front desk) and Helen (spa manager) during my stay. All of them were very helpful and pleasant and easy to speak with. I had one issue where I wanted to make a reservation on the Jolly Pirate ship and was told by one of the front desk girls that it was not running as it was Carnaval weekend. I discovered the following day that it was running and had a fun time on it. I was a little disappointed with her not checking for me but as it was Carnaval I believe that it was an understandable mistake.

All in all the hotel suited the needs of me and my family as we did not expect five star high end accomodations and ammenities. It is a cute and comfortable hotel that appears to be moving forward with renovations and upgrades. I enjoyed my stay and would recomend it as a hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Buddy9714

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2012

It didn't start out so great but once I got to my room it was. The rooms are all newly renovated and neat and clean. The front desk help were very helpful and sympathetic because I was one of the first to check in and one of the last in my room. They kept telling me another half hour, another half hour, another half hour. Got over that. They were even willing to give me a free dinner at Tomato Charlies for the inconvenience, but I didn't take advantage of it. I just wanted to get to my room because I had plans to meet friends at Holiday Inn to watch the Super Bowl game. Stanley the bellman is an incredible and accommodating individual. Very helpful. I spent my first week at my timeshare and then checked into Brickell Bay for four nights. It was really great to be in the high rise area. Great location without paying $300 a night. Free internet in the internet lounge, continental breakfast included, and two complimentary drinks at the pool bar . It was a great value. I'd do it again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the Arawak Gardens so on a couple of nights I could hear all the music going on d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank C C
Schwanewede, Germany
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Hotel Brickel Bay Beach Club, Palm Beach, Aruba

Validation and some impressions

Ok, I was looking for a middle class hotel in the price category up to 150 USD/night for a double room and found it via HRS. The first impression on the internet page of the hotel was positive. Therefore, we booked a double room with two Queen sized beds for 14 days. Price of USD 147.60 incl. breakfast per day was confirmed.
After arrival the first impression in the hotel was a little shock. We arrived at approx. 07:00 p.m. The lady at the front desk gave us the impression we were spoiling her evening. Instead of a friendly warm welcome we had to take stick over a checklist of obligations and rules. In the lobby workers did some intensive refurbishment with a lot of noise and dust.
Our room was ok, it was clean and size was as expected. Air condition was old fashioned and noisy. To switch it off you needed to pull the power plug from the socket. After one week of such unusual handling a maintenance manager unlocked a box under which a control panel was hidden. Why the control panel was hidden and locked he could not explain. The fridge was clean but rusty. It worked. TV was a brand new flat screen. Both beds were ok. On our arrival day the towels were formed like two swans in love sitting on our beds – a nice idea of the chambermaid.
Room service was done every day, sometimes twice. When you are asked in the evening by the room service if you need something more, be sure, you have checked the amount of the different towels. You should check and request what you did not get over the day.
Next day our mood started on a low level but increased every half hour. We visited the pool area, which was clean, refurbished and in good condition. Sufficient modern deck chairs standing around the pool and big umbrellas against the sun. You could lie in the sun or sit in little groups of outdoor lounge chairs around tables. The water in the pool was clean and also the near-by toilets were cleaned from time to time over the day.
Breakfast was served in a near-by restaurant in the same building. Continental breakfast (orange juice, coffee, some slices of toast, ham or chees, butter, jelly, muffin) was complimentary, but you could also ask for a menu to order breakfast according to your own wishes against payment. In case of a fully booked hotel the restaurant is running into problems during the “breakfast rush hour”. In such case you should show up before 08:15 or after 09:30.
On the first floor a small fitness room with 4 different PRECOR fitness machines was offered. Use was complimentary.
For the pool or the beach we got every day additional towels at the front desk, which should be returned at the end of the day.
At the beach (5 minutes walk way or less by hotel-owned beach shuttle) the hotel has an agreement with a chair rental agent. Deck-chairs in the front line w/o shadow were complimentary. If you wanted to lie in the shadow you had to pay on top.
Internet access was complimentary, but only possible in the area of the lobby. For using my own notebook I got an access code. But you also could use some computer places with notebooks of the hotel. The internet access was quick for normal use like e-mails or visiting Internet pages.
If we needed maintenance support we always got such support in short time and in a sufficient way.
One black spot remained. After two days we realized that the price the hotel charged us was slightly higher than the one, which was confirmed with the booking. The explanation of the hotel was an additional energy surcharge of 4 USD per day which was neither announced in the Internet offer nor when the booking was confirmed. The ladies at the front desk tried to blame our travel agent HRS who “obviously had forgotten this surcharge”. I doubt this explanation, because I believe that an Internet agent like HRS offers only what was given to them by the hotel itself. I claimed this additional money from HRS and their quality management took care of it. I was obviously not the only one who was faced with higher charges than confirmed with the booking. Some other guest reports show similar experience. Overall picture: the front desk is fighting for every rule and dollar, not seeing the hundreds of dollars they are losing with such behavior.
During our two-weeks-stay the refurbishment of the hotel continued, but the noise and dust we realized the first evening in the lobby was finished after two days.
Except the front desk on our arrival day the personnel was always friendly and supportive. May be it was not her day, when we arrived. Some training by the management might be helpful.
Final statement: The hotel is on a good way. We enjoyed our stay, even if not everything was perfect. The hotel is not a “bed castle” but managed by heart. They always try to improve and they are listening, if you have some hints or smaller complaints.
Palm Beach, Aruba, Febr. 2012
Dirk and Ulrike Brauckmann, Germany

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dirk B
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Just got back this week from another week at the Brickell Bay, Feb 6-13, 2012. Flew with Sunquest direct from Toronto to Aruba. Again great pricing and full plane from Toronto to Aruba. Had a chance to meet many fellow travelllers on our flight and many more at the hotel from NY, ME, Iowa, PA and CT. No complaints from any of us, location was great and for return travellers it was a great location to use as a base to get around from. When you check in please do not be surprised by the Energy Tax of $ 5.95 USD per day. Sunquest does not advise you of this tax and it is shown on the BB website. Now for the review check in is busy when there is a whole bus load and when the Energy Tax is charged everyone usually gets annoyed with the girls behind the counter. Since this was our second trip we were not surprised and Regina held up pretty well from all of the irate patrons. Check-in was painless and we got what we had requested top floor room overlooking front of building. the GM also added a nice fruit basket for us returning again to the BB. Our room had been updated and as before was clean clean clean. No one sells this hotel at more than a 3 star so give then a break. The hotel is usually fully booked so it is hard for them to get everything updated in a timely manner. Elevator areas and rooms are getting updated all the time by the GM. The pool area is alot better from last year, new furniture, umbrellas and area around pool replanted. Nice place to hang out for an afternoon. We had a chance to watch them painting outside of the hotel all the week we were there. Again updating and upgrading ongoing. I had a chance to talk to the General Manager (GM) on a couple of occasions on this trip and he advises there are many more good changes to come. Internet is now local to the hotel, you can either use the free 30 mins daily in the lobby or out front of the hotel in the sitting area or use the local internet available in your room but there is a charge for this about $34.95 USD per week. I ended up using the free and it worked great. Breakfast is coffee, juice, and 3 1/2slices of toast pc of ham, muffin and croissant. This seemed to be enough for most of us but for $10 USD more you can upgrade to a full US breakfast, puchase coupon at front desk. Stanley the Doorman at the hotel is a fountain of information and if you need a rental, restaurant reservation or local knowledge he is the man to see. Juan Keyters is the GM and do not be surprised by his young age he is extremely capable. This is not a chain hotel it is an independent and the only one like this on the strip. Prices vary and are alot more at the big name hotesl and timeshares. Restaurant abound around the hotel and you must try ribs at Smokie Joes and anythings at Cafe Rembrant. Food is good and fairly priced for Canadians. Drinking water is amazing on the island, we ensured that we drank lots and lots of water again. A hint ensure you wear lots of sunscreen on your first day on the beach you will burn quite quickly an will suffer for the entire week. ( I speak from experience) We are looking at returning next year around the same time and hopefully for 2 weeks this time. Another couple on our flight is hoping to do the same. A week in Aruba in Feb is alot better that the week at home when it was -10 daytime and -20 nights. If we sound like fans of the Brickell Bay after two stays we definitely are and receommend to others.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the front of the hotel floor 3 or 4 away from the elevators, all rooms should be u...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank humster
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I totally agree with the previous reviewer. Plus, the walls on the pool side of the hotel are very thin, you can hear everything that is happening on the street, on the hallway, and in neighbouring hotel rooms. Impossible to sleep, very loud live music band is playing from 10 pm until 2 am (every 30 minutes with 15 minutes breaks), cars, partying. It seemed like the live band was playing is our room, very loud. In any room, you can hear what is happening in the hotel's hallways, people walking, talking, cleaning staff, renovation, etc. Brickell Bay Beach Club is NOT suitable for families with children. Pay more, enjoy your vacation. The location is great, nevertheless, all Palm Beach has a great location. I guess, Brickell Bay Beach Club would be suitable for college kids with limited budgets, who party all night, and don't care where they sleep. That is Brickell Bay's target market - college party kids. Value-wise, Brickell Bay Beach Club is worse $40 per night MAXIMUM (in high-season), if you pay more, you are definitely overpaying.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite from the pool side are quieter. Brickell Bay Beach Club is NOT suitable for families...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Caribbean2000
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Classic case of bait and switch. I have never seen such an outright abuse of photoshop in my life. Do not guide yourself by the photos, they are simply an illusion. There are only a handful of rooms that have been remodeled, nowhere is this mentioned on the booking site. You get a 2 star room at best from the 1970's era. Minus 2 stars by today's standards. A/c has 2 settings, ice box or off, TV also from 1970, bed sheets haven't been changed since the hotel's inception and I have have seen cleaner outhouses than the bathroom. I was on business and the icing on the cake was no Internet access in the rooms as falsely advertised, only in the dingy lobby. And if you think stale bread and 2 slices of processed cheese is a free breakfast then this will be a 5 star meal to get your day started.

I normally don't write reviews but feel compelled to after this experience. Oh and I forgot to mention the hotel staff. There are literally 2 lines at the front desk, one for check in and one for complaints. They are trained to brush you off and give you some sort of feeble excuse or solution with a heavy attitude to throw in the mix.

Save yourself a nightmare, DO NOT
STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank Samerb1
brickellbayaruba, General Manager at Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Reviewer
It comes as a shock as it seems that you describe rooms that surely sound like a hotel from the 70s and with all due respect, our hotel has been fully renovated with 300 count bed linen, flat-screen TV with a tranquil modern feel to each room. I truly would have wanted to meet with you during your stay to address the complaints mentioned as per the air-conditioning, breakfast and internet service.

Our hotel provides a complimentary light continental breakfast and that is free of charge and all guest have the option to upgrade to a full American breakfast. All air-conditioning units are preset but our maintenance department is on-hand 24/7 to assist if guest may want temperature colder or warmer that is done for all guests on a daily basis according to guest preference. I want to apologize if you might feel like our hotel has not met the standards advertised, guest post their own pictures of their rooms all the time on Tripadvisor that is what our hotel rooms reflect since 2010.

Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa provide Complimentary (free) internet Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby area and with a complimentary (free) business center with two computers for guest use in the lobby. Wi-Fi internet in the rooms is not free and has a small charge of $9.50 for 24 hr and $35.00 for seven days Wi-Fi to be used from the comfort of your room.
Our hotel takes pride in providing all guests with only the highest standard of service all the way from the housekeeping department to the front desk. As said by our reviewers is that our staff is our hotel's biggest asset, and our well trained front desk is always at hand to assist with check-in's, check-out's, assisting a guest with island activities, restaurant reservation and with any request that guest may have on their vacation.

I value your review and are saddened as you may feel that our hotel has failed you. I would have like nothing more to have met you during your stay to discuss issues as per your review. I can assure you that our rooms in the opinion of guest, and management do not reflex old and run down rooms.

Regards,

Juan Keyter
Peotone, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We were very pleased with our stay at Brickell Bay Beach Club. Although it doesn't have a lot of amenities that other hotels have, it was quite comfortable and very clean. (We don't always rate according to amenities. Clean is what's important to us.) We loved the atmosphere (friendly and relaxing) and the staff was great and helpful. The only thing that could have been a drawback to our stay was the fact that they were working on the lobby area to update the dark wood paneling (which I loved) to a brighter clean-looking marble. But then, we just looked at it as the hotel's looking after things and keeping things up-to-date and improving on the decor. It really didn't interfere or cause problems to our stay.
The breakfast offered is sufficient. It was great eating in the outdoor atmosphere in the morning. The pool was a very special feature - inviting and relaxing. It is probably one of the prettiest pool areas we saw in Aruba. (And we walk through other hotels to compare.)

We would consider staying here again if we go back to Aruba. Although it's not on the beach, it is just a short walk to the nearest, prettiest beach. It is in a great location as far as the action goes of restaurants and shopping. (quite a walk to downtown, but fun to do once during your stay.)

Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.5 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
2.5 km away
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa? Share your experiences!