“Great family vacation”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was a great place for a family vacation. No shortage of things to do!!!!!! Here are some answers to questions I looked for previous to our trip but could not find.....so hopefully this will help future families going to Aruba.....
Take a cab to got the grocery store....only 10$ each way.....the stores all have cabs waiting there too....buy a cooler or bring a soft back pack cooler.

Snorkeling in any form is awesome!!!! Kids will love it....

Rent a jeep and drive to the backside of the island as it is unbelievable....we swam at the Natural pool and Baby Beach...bring mask/snorkels

7  Thank bapthorpe

Reviewed 12 April 2012

First off, this is a BIG resort. I have stayed at a number of Marriott resorts through the years and I am sad to say this one provided the worse experience I have had.

We were originally placed in a unit with no view and requested a pool view if possible. Our initial room had a broken safe, paint peeling off the wall by the A/C vent (really), and the door stuck so bad I had to "bump" it with my foot each time we entered the room. After 2 days they said they had an alternate room for us and thanked us for leaving our original room early so they could get us into our new room by the early afternoon. We left at 8:30 AM and got back at 4:30 PM and our room was not only not ready, but we did not have a room. On top of that we had no access to our luggage and got to sit by the pool with nothing waiting for a response from the front desk.

The only reason I did not rate this visit as terrible is due to an employee named Jasmine who actually seemed to know what she was doing. We finally got a room in the early evening after we spent another 2 hours waiting by the pool. This type of service is what you might expect for a "budget basement" motel, not a hotel advertising there basic rooms at $500/night.

The good side would be if you have kids. There is a lot of kids there and lots of activities for them. This sort of back-fired on us when my wife got sick and had to spend two days in the room. Some kid(s) were doing the "knock and run" several times during the day on our door. I had to knock on all the doors up and down the hallway and ask parents to curtail this activity just in case their kids were involved. This was not the most pleasant experience we have had on a vacation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildbio
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I have a time share at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando, Fla. In 2011 I exchanged for a week in Aruba and fortunately received a confirmation for February. I had read many negative comments on the web after I received the confirmation and thought about changing. I am glad I did not.

Check in was easy, the room was clean and a good size for my wife and me ( an efficiency ). We got use to the wind tunnel at the entrance to the pool and later found a place to sit that was very comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river. My kindle, a cocktail and the most relaxing week we have had in a long time. We walked the beach and walked through the Holiday Inn and found a great street with alot of great restaurants. Especially liked Gianni's.

Just received my confirmation for March, 2013 for the Surf Club again. This time we have a one bedroom unit for more space. I also have a timeshare at Oyster Bay in St. Maarten which we use on the even year. Life is too short, enjoy it!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aferg4
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family and I just got back on Friday from a wonderful vacation. The accomodations were fantastic. It was perfect for a family of five (3 boys). The location was excellent. I was able to take a cab to the grocery store($10 each way) and stock up for the week. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the pool and beach. Due to the winds, trash blows around, however there is no one picking up the trash (including employees). The pool area had trash and the beach was filthy. I saw one family picking up trash around the beach area and we continuously did the same. Many straws, cups and cigarette butts on the beach. I saw wrappers and ketchup packets in the pool. The jersey beaches are cleaner. Other than that, it was a fantastic vacation.

Room Tip: Rent a 2 bedroom timeshare from someone and request a higher floor unit.
1  Thank kim w
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have visited this resort in the shoulder season, and just went back during high season with 8 people and had a great time.(all in a two bedroom) The resort is in a nice location with every amenity at or near the resort. Some of the other reviews are accurate about the amount of people and the chairs. If your visiting for peace and quiet, I would suggest looking elsewhere but if you have kids that want to have a great time, you have found your location. Finally, my only complaint was the wait time at the front desk, it seemed as if everything took forever, I think they need more staff during the week to help with issues other than check in/check out.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Marriott is very nice, as usual. Pool was excellent, drinks were great too, didn;t seemed watered down at all. Only gripe and a big one. If you like laying in your chairs from 5AM to 7AM to tag them, then be back down there by 9AM or security takes them off, then this is the place for you. Never before have I thought on a vacation I'd have to get up at 5 or 6 AM to go tag my pool chairs for 3 to 4 hours later. Terrible system. Maybe get more chairs?

Overcrowded, people on top of you the entire time. Like I said great place, beautiful, just over crowded and the alarm clock thing was a real dissappointment.....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank CLPainter
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Just got back from the Surf Club on March 25th, 2012 and it was a very nice experience. Rooms were spacious, very clean (although I brought my Buggybeds traps just in case, but found no bed bugs). Nice balcony off of the rooms, wi-fi worked perfect for my Kindle at the pool and since we had rooms right above the pool (2nd floor), wi-fi worked in our rooms rather than connecting to an Ethernet cable.

Had a 5 minute downpours a few days but within minutes, the sun was out. Very breezy, never felt the heat (80 degrees every day), which was not good for detecting sunburn. Bring sunscreen.

Restaurants are plentiful within walking distance, i.e. Captain’s Galley, Ruth’s Chris, Hadicuari, some place a little more expensive than others.

Pool area requires wristbands now so that Ocean Club residents don’t overcrowd the Surf Club which made it very easy to find chairs at the pool. We received pool tags so that we could go down to the pool area in the morning (7am) to select/reserve our chairs, we tagged them and were down at the pool within the 2 hour time limit (although I didn’t see anyone checking to see if anyone abused the “chair tagging”)….The wristbands also keep the Lazy River pool less crowded.

Staff could not have been more helpful. They made dinner reservations for us when we went offsite. Daily activities for kids (and adults), bingo, karaoke, beauticians for cornrows, watermelon eating contest, things like that. Mini-market inside the hotel was great for getting coffee, morning bagels, cheese/crackers, snacks, liquors and other items required for relaxing. They us American dollars….Grocery stores are a little expensive.

The Jolly Roger boat for snorkeling is just off the beach. We rented a car although we really didn’t need one. Taxis would have been adequate. It took us a little over 2 hours from the time we left the hotel, got to the airport, returned our car, and got through security, so plan accordingly. The line for the initial checking in (if you have bags to check) is quite long, about 45 minutes.

Room Tip: If you have more than one computer, ask for a room by the pool, wi-fi works great in the rooms rathe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.2 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
1.1 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.7 km away
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
6.3 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!