“Time Share Resort”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The view Ocean can't compare with Marriott Vacation Club,
smell bad the morning,it used to be fishing dock,i came to buy fish,the good thing resort laundry inside your room,they used to clean the resort everyday from the beginning,now either only once a week(cut cost),I'm owner Ocean club(I bought 2 bed room unit back the year of 2000),back there just just empty slot,later Surf club became next to Ocean club,the building more inside land,the best view Ocean till Ocean Club.Aruba that is my family vacation,no matter where i go different island,Aruba is better Place.

Room Tip: Always ask for high floor because of the Palm tree cover your view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Like most of you, I came to trip advisor looking for guidance on the Surf Club.I came away with more questions than answers. Here is my attempt to address most of what you read here and what you can expect.
Summary
The resort is newer and very large.Remember it is a timeshare, not a hotel. With that, no room service and your room only gets cleaned once.Check-in is a little slow because they stagger check-in days and most of the people on your flight will be checking in. Be patient. It is super clean, the staff is great and you are in close proximity to the "new downtown" in the high rise district with every high end shop and restaurant imaginable. The outdoor area with pools, hot tubs, lazy rivers etc is unmatched in Aruba. There is a nice general store that makes sandwiches and has an inventory similar to a 7-11. The beach is clean and the water is shallow and super calm. You can walk maybe 100 yds out before you are in over your head. The Ocean club and Stellaris are a short stroll or golf cart ride away. There are sidewalks along the ocean side that allow you to get to the other Marriott properties without leaving the Resort. Aruba in general is very safe and the locals are super friendly. It is a desert climate and very windy so be prepared for the heat and the wind. We went at the end of September and I would guess the resort was at 50% capacity. A good mix of families and couples of all ages. I would say 75% were American and most were from the East Coast. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath lockout and you would be hard pressed to find fault. The resort is in the midst of a refresh so we had new soft goods, new flat screen TVs and granite counters in the kitchen and baths. The rooms are very spacious and bright. I found that everyone in Aruba is very responsive to tipping. DON'T be cheap! It will be well worth it both on the resort and off.

Things I read that scared me that I feel need addressing:
1. "The Palapas are complicated and difficult to reserve" -NOPE. See the above comment. Ten bucks reserves a palapa and you don't have to waste an hour of your precious vacation time getting a palapa. I can't imagine an hour of your time isn't worth 10 bucks. Pay it and get on with your trip.

2. "Drinks and food are super expensive"- Yes and No. The foodie in your group will be amazed at the food choices available on the island. We ate high end dinners ever night and were never disappointed. I would say prices are about 30% higher than in the states. A small price to pay in paradise. Top choices-The Driftwood and Gianni's. Take advantage of the great kitchen in your room. Lings is a modern and very American style grocery store about a $20 cab ride away. Prices are in Aruban so figure about 45% less than the price you see. We typically ate breakfast and dinner in the room and dinner out. Drinks on the beach are pricey. Period. $15 a piece. However, they always have a fruity drink special and by 2pm drinks are 2 for 1 so you can still mitigate the cost pretty easily. Also, if you have room, bring a cooler and bring your own drinks to the beach.

3. "Staff is unfriendly"- No way. I chalk this up to people that can't be pleased. Everyone from the front desk to the maids were friendly and were willing to do anything asked.

4. "The towels,chair tag and bracelet situation"- You will have 4 beach towels in your room and you can exchange them at any time at the towel hut. The chair tags seemed to be more necessary at the pool than the beach but certainly not a huge burden. The bracelet is needed because the pools and especially the lazy river will be a source of envy for the neighboring properties. Only surf club residents can use the surf club amenities. Trust me, you won't be jealous of anything at Stellaris or Ocean club. That being said, you will need your own floats. They don't rent them but they do sell them at the shops.You are better off bringing you own from home or throw a few bucks to a bellhop and they will round up a few from all the people who leave them behind every week.

5. The locals can use the beaches- True. However, they have their own spots and they don't need or wantthe Marriott's beaches. Also, people leave their bags at the palapas and

We have traveled a lot and we have high standards, this was the first trip I can remember that I couldn't find anything I would change. We liked it so much we bought a timeshare. Great location, great service and spacious amenity laden rooms! See you next year!

Room Tip: High floors in the lighthouse tower have great views and shorter walks to the beach
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
19  Thank wastedawayagain
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The hotel it’s self is mediocre; I should really call it a timeshare as that’s what it is. There is no room service etc and you only get your room cleaned once during the week, unless you want to pay for extra cleaning, if you want something to eat or drink whilst in your room you have to go and get it for yourself from one of the shops on site which can be very expensive, we found that the one situated in the lobby of the adjacent Marriott had a better choice of merchandise.
The beach was swarming with people of all ages, unfortunately most of them had a habit of talking to each other at the top of their voice, coupled with smoking and with their excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, this made the atmosphere rather disconcerting.
From overhearing the conversations held on the beach (they were so loud I couldn’t avoid it) a lot of the people were moaning about how expensive the owner’s fees were and how they would like to sell their timeshare if it this was possible. Trying to prevent our children overhearing the swearing that was going on all around us was impossible.
We went to the lazy river and found this packed to capacity with people too.
In summary If you love noise, crowds, bad language, drunks and children that behave like monkeys then this is the place for you.
The clientele who were staying in the adjacent Marriott hotel were much a much nicer bunch of people; It’s like the difference between first and third class. We will return to Aruba as it’s a beautiful island, it’s just at the surf club we saw such a grotesque picture of crudeness.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Truereviev
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My trip was the tale of two vacations, the first part with friends at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club (bustling) and the second at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort Aruba (serene).

This review is of the Marriott Aruba Surf Club.

We own a one week, two bedroom share at this resort. We have stayed at other timeshare units (Marriott and other) internationally and there is a consistency about the Marriott brand that you do not find elsewhere. There are other good resorts, and in Aruba. However, you never have to guess about Marriott's resorts.

Room
• Spacious accommodations
• Fully functional kitchen and laundry
• View from 8005/8006 (Spyglass Tower) has great ocean views
• Large shower in Master Suite
• Clean

Property
• Grills are always welcome for timeshare owners that do not want to eat out for every meal!
• The lazy river pool is the best and sets this resort apart
• Longer than average walk to the beach
• Beach is crowded but clean
• Proximity to restaurants, bars, and the casinos mean no car rental
• Marriott campus has lots to offer with a golf cart that makes runs between the properties

If you are looking to mingle with others or go on a family friendly vacation, this resort is for you.

Room Tip: High floor, Spyglass tower has the best ocean views
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just returned from a week long trip at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club. We had a two bedroom suite that was just beautiful and well apointed. We were six adults sharing the suite and the room was clean had everything we needed. We did not use the grills but we did see many families preparing their own meals and thought it would be a great option if traveling with kids. I do wish we had signed up for having daily maid service. Once a week tidy service was not enough.

This is an enormous resort, probably the largest that I have ever stayed at, hundreds of rooms which means hundreds of guests. Wear comfortable shoes because you will be walking a great deal. Our room was as far away from the beach as you could possibly get.

The pools are absolutely amazing - ALL of them. Which is why I think this should be called the POOL CLUB. We had floats from home and used the heck out of them in the lazy river. There is nothing like sipping a frozen drink while floating in that lazy river. I also enjoyed the adults only surrenity pool. Make sure you wear your wristband or security will ask you to leave the pools.

The beach is nothing special. I was told the property was 60% occupied. It seemed so busy and crowded to me. I felt like we were on top of the other guests on the beach and in the water. No privacy at all and it felt much like being on board of a cruise ship. We could hear the conversations of everyone around us. The swimming area is small, conjested and loud. The silly Aqua Slide that NO ONE rents takes up a ton of space and ruins the view. It really should be removed. The beach sand is coarse and rough. The whole palapya process is just nonsense and should be reworked. I refuse to get up early on my vacation so that I can stand on line to get a hut on the beach. That being said we were able to get a hut each day, but it was not in a desired location on the beach. Our view was mostly just of the backs of other beach chairs, we could hardly see that tropical blue water, but we had shade, which was desperately needed in the heat. There are many small birds that hang around the beach area. They did not annoy me but I did notice other guests who were having issues with the birds.

I think this resort is perfect for families with small children. There are plenty of activities to keep the little ones occupied and many other children to play with. The marketplace while costly, has everything you would ever need and the onsite restaurants have many options that would suit children. But I can't say I would recommend this for honeymooners or anyone looking for an intimite tropical escape. We were there in the offf season and I just could not believe how busy the resort was. Many of the time share owners that I spoke with said that it is quite unpleasant duing high season, especially during Easter break. While I did find it relaxing and fun I can't say that I would return to this property. We rented a boat and rode along the coast and when we came upon the low rise area and I felt that it would have been more to my liking.

I will say that the resort was very well maintained and had a very pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Our room was in the spy glass tower and it was entirely too far away from th beach. Make sure you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lisagee
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We arrived at the Surf Club on a Saturday, and, as expected, there were lines for check-in, though, they weren't huge. It did take us about 30 minutes total to get checked in. The staff was very helpful and friendly, oh, and the bottle of ice cold water that they hand you as you are walking inside to check in is a really nice touch! Especially given the 90 degree temps outside!!!
We arrived at 3:00, and their check in time is 4:00, which meant that we had to kill some time before we could get our room key and head up to our room. So, we wandered around a little and picked up a few items at the marketplace for the room.
Overall, the property is very clean and very well maintained. Our room was spotless and we only heard other guests once or twice, briefly, and that was a few footsteps above us. We had a "lock-off" unit with a queen bed, mini kitchen area and bathroom. Yes, the bathroom is a bit small, but was more than adequate, especially when you consider that we spent our days out snorkeling and needed to rinse out our wetsuits and snorkel gear and swimsuits and hang everything to dry. The marble vanity had plenty of room for all of our toiletries and we were kept well stocked with towels.
The swimming pool and lazy river seems to be the main attraction at this property. I cannot speak for the issue of reserving palapas, as we only went to the pool once for an hour.
This property is convenient to the shopping and restaurant area there in the Palm Beach/High Rise district. It is an easy 2 to 5 minute walk to all kinds of eateries and shopping. We felt safe at all times, and we noticed that there is a visible security presence at all times.
This is definitely a great property for families with children, as they have all kinds of activities posted all day and evening.
We had an oceanside view room overlooking the pool and beach area. The sunsets are just gorgeous and we enjoyed watching them from our balcony most evenings!!

Overall, a positive stay, though, if we ever get back to Aruba, we may try for a small rental home or smaller property.

*Special Note: Upon checking out, and standing in line for that as well, we asked why they didn't have more agents on duty to speed things up. The young lady there at the desk told us that they were advertising to hire people to work there, but, apparently, they are getting no response. So, not sure why they can't find people to fill those open positions, but, it explains why there are lines and a wait to check in and check out.

Room Tip: The higher up you can get a room, the better the chance that you can enjoy views of the sunset, as w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carybenn53
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This was our first time at the surf club ,invited by our friend to join them. My wife and I never expect that the place is so clean,the beddings,TV and facilities are well maintained.The staff are so friendly always in good mood especially to Claribel our cleaning lady and Benito the palapa guy who work so hard under the sun still the the courage to smile.This place Marriott Aruba Surf Club is really a paradise.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.2 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
1.1 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.7 km away
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
6.3 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!