“Very nice hotel, but expensive.”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Private beach is fantastic for sun, sand, snorkeling, and kayaking (no sailboats as there are too many reefs). The water was warm and clear blue.

Food was excellent (dinner & breakfast). Staff was prompt and courteous.

Our room was nice, with a nice ocean view, but it was nothing spectacular. The big downside here is the cost.....With the meal plan, be prepared to spend about $800 per night per room (with taxes and service fees). Omitting the meal plan can save you a little of this. A glass of beer is about $8, but there is a handy little store very close to the hotel, which sells alcohol at store prices.

The locals we met were very friendly, but all were worried about the lack of tourists - and all felt Bermuda had priced themselves out of the mainstream tourist market. I can't say I disagree.

1  Thank Nigel S

Reviewed 16 July 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful 20th anniversary trip to The Reefs July 1-8. As they told us in an e-mail, there was a driver waiting for us when we arrived. (We had purchased the romance package so round trip transfers were included.) We enjoyed the ride to The Reefs, soaking in the beautiful Bermuda scenery. We checked in to our room right away, even though we arrived around 1. We had booked a Longtail Suite - all of the Point Suites were taken. There are pluses and minuses to the room. On the plus side, it has a very spacious bathroom. Love the L'Occitane products as well. The bed was probably the most comfortable that we have ever slept in as well. Even more than our own bed at home! And tons of closet space! We didn't use the sitting room at all. Usually, when we've stayed in a suite, the sitting room has been next to the patio/deck and in this case, it wasn't. I wouldn't necessarily book the same room again for this reason, though I did like the size of the bedroom and bathroom. We found our patio to be small but we still enjoyed sitting out there and looking at the ocean. We also liked the location of the room - closest room to the beach! And don't worry about Coconuts being close by - we had no problem sleeping. (Other than adjusting to the tree frogs - that took one night to get used to!) Though the decor is a bit tired, I knew that going. We visited the Fairmont and my husband and I agreed that we wouldn't want the corporate hotel look for our trip - we preferred The Reefs. (I had stayed at the Fairmont when it was the Princess - about 6 times as a kid.)

The people that work at The Reefs are wonderful. Last summer we spent 2 weeks at The Four Seasons (4S) in Maui and Lana'i and don't get me wrong - The Reefs staff do not have the corporate polish of 4S, but they provide wonderful service. The are a reason to return - not stay away.

My husband and I both enjoyed the food at the Reefs. The breakfast buffet was wonderful - couldn't have been better. And THE BEST restaurant coffee ever. So impressed by that. I eat vegan/vegetarian and I easily ate vegetarian at The Reefs. The dinner chefs were so easy to work with. Coconuts has amazing salads that I ate for lunch every day. (And the best fries!) We loved all of our meals.

I took a bus to the pier and got some great gifts at the Pottery and Glass stores. All these gifts are made in Bermuda - love that! You should definitely take a trip there for souvenirs.

The beach at The Reefs is beautiful. As a runner, I missed having a long beach to run on (it's only a 1/10th of a mile) but that's okay - each holiday is different.

We settled into vacation mode quickly and we didn't want to leave - we will return to The Reefs (possibly rent one of the ownership units) with our kids.

I'd give the hotel 4.5 stars but I can't so I gave it a 4. It's fabulous!

1  Thank CaseyandRileysMom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We just returned from The Reefs and had a wonderful long weekend - I booked a ocean view room directly with The Reefs which included the Mod America plan with breakfast, tea and dinner. We arrived at noon but check in wasn't until 3pm and our room wasn't ready. My husband and I felt a little slighted that there was a couple checking in in front of us who were asked to sit down, were treated with rum swizzles, property info etc and we were told by the other person working the desk that we could go to the beach or something and 'check back in an hour or two' to see if the room was ready. To make a long story short, our room wasn't ready till 4pm and when we went in, the room had a patio that overlooked the club pool, not a direct ocean view. I went back to the front desk and explained how we had been waiting and I had paid extra to not look at the pool - and within 15 minutes we were moved to a cliffside room with direct ocean view. That awesome view of the aqua water and pink sand made our whole stay worthwhile. We enjoyed the complimentary Dark and Stormy drinks in our room. The food at Coconuts was terrific, we splurged on dinner on the beach and it was absolutely beautiful with impeccable service. Dinner at Roystons was nice, with attentive service and an interesting menu. Breakfasts were good, plenty of food but this is where you felt how packed the resort was - you are supposed to wait to be seated, which we did, but when we got back to our table someone else was sitting there so the hostess stashed us in a corner nearby where the waiter with coffee was saying "Why are you at this table, it isn't set up for breakfast" - so there just seemed to be a lot of confusion and reminded me of being on a cruise ship. Our last night was July 4th and we had our last dinner at the Independence Day buffet which was just like a cruise ship meal as well - we were invited to a rum swizzle party before dinner but they took the ladle and glasses away as we were standing there so missed out there too. Overall, the location is beautiful and the view is spectacular, we were told that the staff wasn't allowed to have a day off the 2 weeks prior to July 4th b/c the resort was so booked - and that seemed to fit what we saw as inconsistencies. As an endnote, we booked spa services and the spa staff were so polite, friendly, kind, considerate - we left the spa so relaxed that our 'cruise ship' dinner didn't really matter. Go to The Reefs - just not during super busy times!

2  Thank bustudent
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Three generations of our family stayed at The Reefs this past May. The food was excellent, the staff professional and charming, and the grounds were beautiful. There were activies to engage every age in our group.
Because it is built into the side of a limestone cliff, there are many steps and stairs in order to navigate the property. I would not recommend a stay at The Reefs for anyone physically challenged.
This is our 5th trip to Bermuda. We found The Reefs to the best place we have stayed at.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ElaineMattituck_NY
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Attended a wedding being held at The Reefs. Had lunch at Coconuts it was fantastic. While I did not stay in the hotel most of the family did and they treated us as if we did as well. Spent the whole day there. Service was incredible, food was excellent, views amazing. Kayaked, swam, went in the pool. Pina coladas were the best I had ever had!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Just got back from the Reefs in Bermuda. We had a great time. The food, ambience, and service were more than we expected. The Reefs is a world class resort that was highly recommended to me and I wasn't disappointed. Rooms could use updating but that shouldn't discourage anyone from going to the Reefs.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank JLouisNy
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Reefs. The quality of the hotel exceeded our expectations on every level. We were looking for a relaxing few days and The Reefs delivered just that. They take great care of their guests and you can see this in many different ways. They go out of their way to make sure that each person feels valued and appreciated for their business. There are welcome notes at reception for those that are checking in for the first time, welcome back notices to repeat guests and announcements of anniversaries, birthdays, etc. Their care for their guests is paramount! From the moment we arrived everything was taken care of - from the warm welcome at the airport, personal attention at check in - as if they have been waiting for us, the beach, the pool, the food and of course the service - everything was top notch! We have stayed at many different places in the Caribbean and throughout the world and The Reefs is now our #1 hotel! We will definitely be back and hope that everyone reading this goes for the trip of a lifetime. Great Job - Reefs Hotel - you guys know what you are doing!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4.0 km away
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!