“Simply excellent in every way”
Review of The Sandpiper

The Sandpiper
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have just returned from 10 nights at the sandpiper, and I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel and it's facilities. We stayed in the tree top suite, with private pool, sun deck and dining area. Its expensive but worth it in my opinion. The standard rooms also looked very good from what I could see.

The staff can't do enough for you - extremely friendly and efficient. Great selection of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Decent gym with ipod dock and sky television.

Excellent Spa is in partnership with coral reef club. Exec cars are provided free of charge to/from the spa. We had two treatments during our stay, both were superb. We arrived well in advance of the treatment to take advantage of the plunge pool and steam room at the spa also.

Good reef and private beach within a moments walk.

The hotel also attracts a number of repeat guests, which can only be a good sign. We will also return at some point in the future. Thank you!

Room Tip: Tree top suite is out of this world, but leaves a hole in your wallet!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul_Toms

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed hear on our first visit to barbados overall we had a pleasant relaxing stay rooms were nice but needing repair bathrooms needed updating. First impressions of the beach was not great when we were walking there was empty bear bottles and someone had walked there dog on the beach and did not pick up after him. The resort is very close to the road I would make sure you do not stay on that side. Gym was not great a little depressing to work out in. Overall food was okay. We have been to barbados many times and although expensive we think for the extra money Sandylane is the most amazing hotel on the island.

Room Tip: Do not book a room close to the road.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TorontoSpagirl
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This was my first visit to the Sandpiper since 2000. During that time the hotel has doubled in size with a new number of rooms built on newly acquired land. In 2000 I stayed then because of the low key intimate appeal of the Sandpiper. I am pleased to advise that in 2012 the enlarged hotel retains the low-key, luxury appeal.

There is no doubt in my mind that the long term family ownership lus excellent long term manager have ensured that high standard have been maintained and indeed improved upon. I would recommend the Sandpiper to travellers who can afford Sandy Lane and appreciate the Barbadian definition of luxury, but dont want the celebrity culture of Sandy Lane.

My highlights of my stay with my partner in a one bedroom suite:

- although I stayed in one of the older suites, this had been modernised nicely with brand new bathroom.

- restaurant was excellent - breakfast buffet superb and thanks to the chef for tolerating my porridge request every day. Dinner was par with the best west coast restuarants. Great wine list

- beach was small and very relaxing, but with plenty of water sports available (note beaches in Barbados are public but the Sandpiper staff ensure you are not bothered by vendors)

- Harolds beach bar was excellent. Cant recommend his Sue Slinger cocktail enough for a non-alcoholic drink.

- Reception staff were superb. Nothing was too much trouble.

- Gym fairly basic but adequate for my needs and better than having to walk to sister hotel Coral Reef. Peak time was four people using the gym.

- No TV in room policy is fantastic. This is Barbados - switch off...

- .. saying that free wi-fi most appreciated.

No real negatives. Minor misunderstanding when I was refused a drink in the beach bar of the sister hotel was quickly and swiftly dealt with by Sandpiper management, who are rightly proud of the hotel they run.

I firmly believe you get what you pay for in life and the Sandpiper is no exception. I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Go for the one bedroom suites if you can afford them
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SonnyCrock
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The Sandpiper is clearly an extremely well managed property, the staff and service in general really impress. The facility itself is nice enough, but can feel a bit cramped when full due to the number of guests milling around. Our room was modern and very nice. Not sure about the 'no TV' policy when there's quite loud panpipe or easy listening music playing adeles greatest hits every night. Our room was right by the live music meaning it wasn't easy to get a quiet night, but to the hotels credit they moved and even upgraded us when we complained.

The beach strip is extremely narrow and consequently can be quite busy, but I think this is quite common in Barbados. I really liked the gym though, it was done up sparsely but had exactly what was needed.

We did book directly and I dont think we got the best rate accordingly, as relative to other places we stayed the price seemed quite high given the facilities. Clearly this is a hotel with a number of repeat customers, and you can see the staff do invest a lot of time in building a genuine relationship with the guests.

Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Richkangaroo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

if you are looking to go to the carribean and visit a hotel that truly understands amazing customer service, decor, amazing food and how to truly create an environment for relaxation, then Sandpiper is your choice!!

Room Tip: the one bedroom suite is truly amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I couldn't imagine going back to Barbados and not staying at the Sandpiper. We had an amazing time. From the beginning to the end this hotel did not let us down. The staff and the service provided was exceptional - Lee-Jay on reception and Harold at the beach bar were only too happy to help. Sunday night's BBQ had an enjoyable relaxing atmosphere, although gentlemen are required to wear long trousers which we thought was a bit formal. Our room was a one-bed suite with balcony - giving us the space to enjoy drinks outside whilst the sun went down; and enjoy breakfast (delivered to the room at no extra charge) whilst the sun came up. We didn't use the pool - the beach is right there and with complimentary water sports. Yes a lot of people seemed to know each other, or, perhaps everyone was just being friendly - which is refreshing. If you want to enjoy the Sandpiper experience even more get a suite - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank RickyRattle
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We don't get it... why all the praise for this old, outdated hotel????? This is by no means a Five-Star Hotel. Far from it! At the very best maybe a Four Star and that's only because of the beach, ocean and lovely gardens. Perhaps the ratings are so high because they're almost all from British guests. Apparantly the British standards are much lower than ours? That's all I can figure. How do you rate a hotel so high when the rooms are cinder block walls, uncomfortable beds, linen and towels are of poor quality, furniture, drapes and rugs are old and frayed, no flat screen TV, no coffee maker, no electrical outlet in the bathroom, holes in screens, no light dimmers and old fashioned key locks that were difficult to use. Oh, and did I say overpriced? $800 a night... insane! Sure glad I didn't pay for it or I'd be quite angry.
We won this trip from the NBC Today Show contest "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" When we arrived at the hotel they didn't know who NBC was and never heard of Matt Lauer or the Today Show. They put us in what may have been the worst room in the resort. Don't get me wrong, the room itself was okay but nothing special. The big problem was it's location. The main highway was thirty feet from our room and the constant noise from the highway was terrible. There was a bus stop right outside the fence which was a main intersection. I've attached a picture of the tidy bus stop along with the two views from our room. One is the maintenance area and the other is the lovely fence from our balcony. Because the room was the furthest from the beach and restaurant, we could not see or even hear the ocean. It was like having a room in the center of town. We were so far from the restaurant that the lovely breakfast served to us on our balcony every morning was always cold. We opted for cereal and sweet rolls the last few days.
Do yourself a favor, save your money and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Avoid room 31 at all cost!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank harrygasman
Karen C, Owner at The Sandpiper, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Mr Seymer,

We were surprised to read your comments on Trip Advisor.

You did have a conversation with my husband, the Managing Director, during your stay explaining that you were the winners of the NBC's "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" show contest and you were disappointed that you had not been met with any fanfare at the airport or at the hotel. My husband explained that until that moment, we at the hotel were not aware of that fact, but it explained why you were upset on arrival and asking for complimentary champagne which was not indicated on your voucher or requested in advance.

We agree with you that it would have been good for us to be aware of why you were staying with us and that you were a prize winner and we would certainly have referred to this in welcoming you. Unfortunately we did not have that information prior to you telling us.

Whilst you were in a Garden Room at the back of our property it does have a spacious balcony with a view of our 'lovely' gardens, as you refer to them, from which you cannot see the road behind the hotel. We do think that taking a picture out of the small side window and posting this on Trip Advisor is rather misleading, but in the spirit of taking on guest comments, we are improving on the planting in this area and therefore the view from that small window.

We believe that as the winner of this competition your expectations were obviously high and it was unfortunate that as we were fully booked, you had the last room at the back of the garden which clearly did not live up to your expectations. This is not to say that we wouldn't stand by the quality of our rooms. We refute certain comments unequivocally – the 'cinder' block walls you refer to are coralstone, the 'uncomfortable' beds have featherbeds on them and we receive positive comments all of the time about them, the toweling linens are new every season and the bed linen is Egyptian cotton. The curtains and rugs are not frayed. There are no tvs, this is true. We have many couples and families that enjoy an island experience with us and have asked that we don't join the rest of the world yet with having tvs in every room and we have listened. We do have flat screen tvs available on request at no charge.

We were fully booked with guests who were paying our regular rates when you stayed so you would have been the only one not paying a high room rate, as you pointed out. We have a very high repeat rate with lots of happy British, American, Canadian, Russian and other European guests. Yours was the only complaint but we have taken on board.

In fact, you did not tell my husband of your complaints other than your expectations of being met and that we should have been aware of who you were. Someone dropped the ball on this as you are quite correct to say that the follow through on this was lacking as we didn't even know the history on this booking. Unfortunately I think this is the genesis of the problem and your expectation of how you would be treated on this trip versus no-one being aware of why you were here was the root of much of your angst.

We realize that you were disappointed and are obviously sorry that is the case. Our staff are very attentive and work hard to complement our many amenities and it is always a shame when we have guests whose expectations we did not meet and we do regret this very much.

Regards,