“Endearing quality”

Beach Guesthouse Cleverdale
Thunder Bay
“Endearing quality”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We had a wonderful holiday at Cleverdale in the self-contained suite. (There are 2 suites and a 3 bedroom complex that can be booked as one or separately with shared living, dining areas.) The suite is very basic and on the small side but its saving grace is the deck and close proximity to the ocean. It was clean and no fuss, no muss accommodations. In 10 nights, we only had maid service twice so a can of Comet would have been appreciated. Bring your own hand and shower soap. There was salt but no pepper in the kitchen. A few extra glasses would be appreciated. Helpful staff.

Room Tip: There are 2 self-contained suites. Either are good options.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Morjohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Glasgow
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I was visiting Barbados for the sole reason of getting a US visa. I arranged everything last minute and time was tight. The owner was incredibly helpful even before I left giving me all the information of how to get to the guest house and how much it would likely cost. The owner was also available on skype which made organising even easier.

My visa did not go exactly as planned and I stayed an extra day and would have spent the weekend if the owner had not went out of her way to help me. She spent most of the morning phoning people and arranged things so I could make my flight.

The room was clean and well furnished and the house is very close to the beach and local supermarket.

Can thank her enough.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Endjinnear
London
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Clean and comfortable accommodation close to the beach and St Lawrence Gap. Stayed for four nights in September 2011. I had a double room for one with own bathroom which was very comfortable and clean. Didn’t make much use of the kitchen which was also clean and fully equip. Beach is on your door step and at that time of year, early in the morning had the feeling of your own private beach.

Would recommend anyone who stays there to visit Crystal Waters on Sunday for their BBQ and entertainment.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank susiew31
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My teenage son and I stayed in Michelin Apartment 1, for eight nights in early July. The purpose of our vacation was to spend every day at a beach, and do a few activities.
Prior to arrival, I inquired about airport transfer, and was told that couldn't be arranged as taxis provide a quick and efficient service. That was fine and we had no trouble finding a cab. The rates for cabs to "The Gap" are set at $20 US. That was fine. Somehow, and this was as much my fault as anybody's, we ended up at the wrong property. Brigitte owns a few places, and we got off at the Cleverdale property, only to find out we were at the wrong accomodation. The guests there informed us that Brigitte had gone back to Germany for a vacation and that Stephanie was who we were looking for. We were given directions to our apartment and started to walk with suitcases in tow. Our apartment was on 4th Avenue at the opposite end of St. Lawrence Gap, which is about 1.5 km long. Oh well. We could have caught a cab, but decided to walk. We eventually made it, and again I must stress this was as much my fault as anyone's.
Upon arriving at Michelin, we were greeted by staff. At first, the lock for our room's door couldn't be located, then we noticed the bathroom light wasn't working. At this point, I was beginning to wonder if we had made a mistake staying here. Things appeared to be unorganized, and we were tired. Two flights.
However, the staff quickly rallied, and the lock and keys for our door were found and the bathroom light was fixed immediately. It was then I realized how sincere the staff was in trying to make us feel comfortable. Soon after, Stephanie showed up and after a brief greeting my son and I felt much better about our apartment.
The apartment itself was very basic, and all we really needed. We weren't planning on staying in it except to sleep. However, what was most outstanding was how clean the room was kept.
I felt it was important to tell the above events as so often when something doesn't work in a hotel room, or something is missing, guests often are told it will be remedied only to have nothing done. The staff at our apartments not only assisted us quickly if we needed anything, but I feel, became our friends. I enjoyed the conversations with each.
We chose to hang out at "Turtle Beach" which is accessed by a narrow walkway at the front of the Dover Beach Hotel. The beach itself is fronted by three large hotels, but the beach is public. We loved it here as we enjoy swimming in the ocean. The surf at times got rough, but that's what we like. We rented lounge chairs from "Captain Sam's Water Sports" (located in front of the Turtle Beach Hotel) for $10 US per chair. They were ours for the day. They weren't as fancy as the actual hotel guest chairs but we appreciated the fact that the staff from Sam's quickly hauled them out to the sand each day we arrived. Turltle Beach itself is beautiful. One of the nicest I've seen. White powder sand and literally no rocks or seaweed in the water. Given the surf, there are no fish here, so snorkeling isn't worth it. Each day at 4:30, is "two-for-one" happy hour at the Bouganvillea Hotel which is at the east end of the beach. We had no problem sitting at the outdoor bar and were treated like guests of the hotel. Perhaps they didn't know we weren't!!!
The Dover market is at the corner of St. Lawrence, about 100 m. from the apartment. You can buy pretty much anything you'd need. I purchased groceries mainly for breakfast as we ate out each night.
As stated, St. Lawrence Gap is about 1.5 km long, and we were at one end. However, each night we made the trek down to the far end which seemed to have more activity and restaurants to choose from. Most restaurants have their menus posted on the street and one can find from cheap to expensive. We often ate from the local vendors and drank $2.50 US "Banks" beer.
I did a two-tank dive with "Roger's Scuba Shack" which I booked prior to arriving on the island, and enjoyed it very much. I was pleased that they were patient with me as I just certified last summer. We also did a catamaran tour with Stiletto, and my son really enjoyed the turtle experience. One of our highlites was surfing. We had booked with "Zed's Surfing Adventures" also prior to arriving, and had an absolute blast. Got up every time!
We also had a great time at Oisten's on a Friday night. Tons of fun!
My only issue, and it has nothing to do with our accomodations, and I realize its common in many other places, is the begging. Only young men, 20-30's, seem to do this and after a while, its absolutely annoying. We never had a young lady approach us once for a handout, but the young men, constantly. In fact, we noticed the women often looked down at these men with shame, and simply shook their heads.
Overall, we really enjoyed our time in Barbados, and the staff and our apartment made it a truly unique experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank SunDog61
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Usually, I would write a long story but I remember reading these reviews and wanted something straight to the point -- so here you go:

-close to a gorgeous beach (literally 30 steps from the porch)
-equipped kitchen
-comfortable rooms
-pretty garden areas
-island tour (not touristy)
-outdoor seating
-safes
-free wifi and telephone
-closets
-weekly maids
-hot/cold water bathrooms (private)
-near supermarkets
-near restaurants (perfect distance)
-near #1 area in Barbados (St. Gap) -- but no noise at al
-nice owner: Brigitte -- very trustworthy and knows the island like the back of her hand

My length of stay was 6 days. I could not have asked for more. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Book in advance! Skype with Brigitte.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank HudGR
Reviewed 5 April 2011

“A perfect location. A very nice old house, comfortable and cosy, just a few steps away from the beautiful beach, not far to walk to "The Gap", where lots of restaurants and bars are located. Supermarkets are in walking distance aswell. The owners can arrange several activities like surfing, diving or an island roundtrip - so all in all, there's everything you want and need!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Katill
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My bf & I stayed here and liked it very much. Simple rooms, clean, no problems, across the street from the beach, close to all the attractions of bridgetown, gap, easy bus access, nice porch to sit on, nice garden, internet, reasonable price. Attracted a good blend of travellers, mostly canadian and european, a couple of partiers but they also kept it out of the house. I thought it was a nice communal place to stay, we could cook and save money, and we enjoyed everyone. Brigitte and Doreen the manager & housekeeper keep it well-tended. I would get private bathroom unless you are in the student zone. There are a couple of small apartments attached also if you want more privacy. What more do you really need?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple