“Beautiful view”

Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy the delicious flavours of the Caribbean at Lanterns by the Sea, which as it's name suggests offers unparallelled ocean views from its prime beachside location. Live entertainment several evenings each week including the Caribbean Buffet and Floor Show on Thursday nights and the popular band "Virgo" on Saturdays.
Reviewed 21 June 2017

We stayed at the resort and opted for fully inclusive, as prices were a little eye watering for drinks and meals.

We always sat at table no.4 for breakfast and came down as it opened. Lovely and quiet with beautiful views of the beach and sea.

Breakfast is buffet style, set out very well and lots to choose from. Numerous cereals, fresh fruits beautifully displayed, cheese, hams, salmon, pastries, breads etc. There was a hot buffet also with various cooked food which varied daily, beans, sausages and local specialties. There is also an egg station for eggs to order. We enjoyed the omelettes.

The lunch menu was not huge but enough to choose from salads, catch of the day, burgers,etc and always a specials menu. Not sure if the same special was served at dinner time also.

We only ate here twice in the evening and both times were for their themed evenings. One was a BBQ and the other a buffet. Both absoulutley fantastic events. Lots of delicious, tasty food to choose from.

We found service to be with a smile and not always the quickest, but accepted this as the Barbadian way or at least we were on holiday so to relax a little more.

A special mention to Anna and Lance, who served us often and with a smile and their local knowledge.

There are newer reviews for Lanterns By The Sea

Reviewed 4 June 2017

We stayed at the Bougainvillea resort therefore ate a few times at the Lanterns restaurant on the premises. I would suggest ordering breakfast from the menu. The buffet options are not worth the price you pay ($23 USD). It is much more reasonable to order from the menu.

There is a wide variety of lunch options to choose from and the food is good. The wait staff are on their own time frame, even slower than island time. No worries, just be aware. Plan ahead, do not wait until you are hungry to order or you will be famished and grouchy by the time your food arrives.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

When you arrive at the resort your first impression is "wow!" based on the reception area alone and then the walk through to beautiful swimming pool area towards Lanterns by the Sea you are thinking "this is going to be an experience" to beat all others.

I am trying to be as factual as I can in this review as you would hope, and yes, it was an experience to beat all others but not, regretfully, in the right way!

As we entered the restaurant, it looked so inviting being only metres from those lapping waves that Barbados is famous for. Seated by a very personable gent in the frontline seats and knapkins placed on our laps and ice cold water served, our party of four were eagerly anticipating our meal. Menus appeared from which is was noted that it was a little limited and only one (Bds$ 80!) steak meal.

A couple of minor glitches that an eagle eyed over the top reviewer might spot (ie me!) - no wine list offered, no description of "catch of the day" and "soup of the day". No need to worry, we can always ask and so we did.

With the amazing Champers already booked for later on in the holiday, I was saving myself for my "amazing steak" meal so I plumped for the burger - was asked how if wanted it cooked (good sign) and requested medium - a good burger with meat juices dripping and a bit of pink in the middle can be wonderful in the right hands!

The two ladies in our group had chicken and "catch of the day" meals respectively and I am not going to dwell on those as they were beautifully delivered (presentation and taste) and that is where a couple of stars are awarded, the third to a lovely waitress who was very good!

My other gentleman companion decided on the lamb shank and mash and couldn't wait to get his teeth into that (usually amazing) "fall off the bone" piece of meat with suitable accompaniments and "jus" (posh gravy in Lancashire!).

I have forgotten to add at the start that 10 per cent service charges is, as a matter of course, added to all bills. Clearly you have the ability to pay more if everything is as good as it could be or even better!

So not dwelling on the ladies meals (they were fine) both mine and my friends meals arrive with a smile and both burger and lamb are tucked into with lips licked!

So to start with the "fall off the bone" shank - it was so tough that a steak knife was requested and obtained but then even that failed to cut it - my friend usually gets on with a bad meal but even this was too much for him and a walk over to cash desk produced our waitress and an offer of a replacement meal. He went for a medium burger and watched as we three ate our meals.

As far as my burger was concerned, this was, at best, well done and fell apart in "bits" as opposed to being juicy however as I had recommended this venue, I was reluctant to send meal number two back as there was nothing on the menu other than the steak that I fancied - I bit the bullet!

Friends burger arrived however we had finished - he took a few mouthfuls and as that was overdone as well just left it.

So what now, we're we just "unlucky" and the chef / meeter and greeter / manager would be coming to see us at full steam to profusely apologise and to get feedback to stop this event occurring again? I am afraid that no one came...

We were asked if we wanted deserts but felt that enough was enough so we decided on the bill. Ok, came the reply. Still no one had come to see us (the meeter and greeter had left earlier I think) so I went to the cash desk to suggest that "we only want to pay 5 per cent service charge".

I am sorry "that is the manager's decision" was the reply - WHAT!? one thinks - it surely coudnt get worse! Off I go with tail between legs back to my table - how dare I suggest a lower figure!

Bill arrived with lamb shank cancelled, no charge for extra burger to replace it but still no manager to say what he had done to redress e issue.

You couldn't write the next bit of this script! "The manager has not charged you for the poor meal but insists on the full service charge"

We paid and then made our exit passing the beautiful pools with heads hung a little low.

I really do hope that the management reads this post and that something can be learned - this restaurant must have cost a fortune and it has the potential to be right up there with the best (how about a couple of lights on the waves like Champers too?)

Reviewed 17 May 2017

We had a great night out at Lanterns. Enjoyed the food, the music, the ambience on the beach, very relaxing and pleasant.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

After a few free drinks at the managers evening we booked for the BBQ at Lanterns. It's all you can eat and the selection , meat fish ,chicken amazing and a sort of fusion of western and Barbados styles. A good price , well cooked , a help yourself service and all on see front ....great night lovely food , for those travelling to and through the Bouganvillia Resort... it's Monday nights 6pm fir drinks then the BBQ......enjoy...we did.