“Pleasantly Surprised After 10 Years”

Hotel Nacional de Cuba
Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised After 10 Years”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We honeymooned here 10 years ago and found it to be a bit dirty and tired. We were expecting it though and went for the history.
The Habana Libre had overbooked and so sent us here for our first night of our trip while they sorted themselves out. The hotel has dramatically improved since then. We were shown to "Fred Astaire's room"-I bet! We noticed that most rooms seemed to be someone or other's room. It was comfortable and the bathroom worked properly.
They have not ruined the place by doing a strip out and renew type of refurbishment, rather they have fixed things and maintained the place better. I don't know if this is deliberate or due to lack of funds, either way they have managed to keep the opulent, grand atmosphere of this monumental Cuban landmark.
The bar was fabulous, the outdoor seating so comfortable and the bartenders polite and attentive.
Breakfast was a typical Cuban hotel buffet with a good range although the machine coffee was awful. There is a chap making better coffee at the end of the room too though. The orange juice was superb freshly squeezed in the machine in front of you.
I marked the overall down a point because of the blatant prostitution happening. Both the dirty old man foreigner guests and the "ladies" themselves were unbelievably overt. The hotel kept a check on it, a young girl was refused permission to go upstairs to the disappointment of a man in his 60s because they recognised her ID on their system. At least they are doing something.
In conclusion I think this is a must for at least a night, just to take in the grandeur.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajscubapro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were supposed to stay here for three nights on our last days in Cuba, but the first night we had to stay in another hotel. It wasn`t far, and they paid for taxi, but I was still a little disapointed. I had really looked forward to staying here!
But when we checked in the other day we got a nice hotel room with a really nice view of malecon and the sea. So nice!

We also got in for free at The Parisien, the cabaret show that is connected to the hotel. We got the ticket for free since we had to stay at the other hotel for one night. The show was good, really great dancers. Maybe a little bit to long.. But the food (that we paid for ourselfs) was horrible! We got something we didn`t order as a starter, aperrently they dind`t have what we wanted. I don`t know what is was, but it was not good. Our main course came so late into the show, that the food was cold, the chicken was raw, and it was so dark that I coudnt se what I was eating anymore...

But the hotel itself is soooo nice. It old and classy! There is a really nice garden with a bar that serves excelent drinks! One of the pools is really good, the other was in the shade, so no so good for tanning!
The breakfast was ok.
Its right next to malecon so its a great place if you want to go for a romatic walk.
But the rest of the neighbourhood, isn`t that great. Well I dont think so. We also stayed in Habana vieja, and it was so much nicer there.
But all in all, a good hotel :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heege
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I read quite a few of these reviews before I traveled and must admit that I was a bit apprehensive but I really wanted to stay here because of the hotel's historic significance. I'm glad I did.

The hotel is in the Vedado neighborhood so it is a $5CUC taxi ride to Old Havana but there are three good jazz clubs within walking distance (2 blocks) so you don't have to go far to hear good music. Actually music is my favorite part of this hotel. Every night they have live music on the verandah and one night we saw an all out cabaret show. If you do have a room facing the ocean you will hear the music and it does go late but we sleep with the radio on so it was a great thing to fall asleep to.

I will admit that this hotel is old. The common areas and the grounds are kept up nicely but some rooms are renovated and some aren't. In the whole scheme of things our room was ok. The furniture was nice but simple and the bedding looked newer. Again the room was old but not dirty. I've read people complain about stains and worn carpeting. Both are true but we all know in our homes when you have a stain on your carpet it can be clean but the stain remains. That's the case here. The bathroom was small but clean and it looked to have been recently updated. I read one review about the mini bar being locked. Our mini bar did not require a key and was replenished daily.

The pool area was really nice and quiet. There were large bathrooms with showers and food and drinks were served there. The towel situation was kind of annoying. You could rent beach towels for $2CUC or you could bring your own from the room. But lounge chairs have cushions on them that are water proof so it's a nice touch and really comfortable. They also check you in at the entrance to make sure you are actually a guest at the hotel so they at least ensure that not just anyone comes in.

We had breakfast included with our stay and the buffet was really good. We ate breakfast one morning in the nice restaurant by the elevators (by mistake) and it was awful compared to the buffet that was actually part of our package. You could choose from made to order eggs and omlettes, fresh fruit, different hot choices (potatoes, rice, etc), fresh squeezed juice, fresh bread and Cuban coffee.

The staff out on the verandah were friendly and accommodating and so was the concierge and the woman that set up excursions. There was one surly girl and the front desk but the rest were nice. I speak Spanish so I don't know if that influenced my level of service. One piece of advice I will give is you will get farther with the staff and people in Cuba (and Latin America) in general if you just say good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. When you pass them in the hall, before you ask a question, when you walk into a shop. That's a huge pet peeve that Latin Americans have about Americans. We just walk by each other and walk in a place without acknowledging anyone.

There may be nicer hotels in Havana but I would recommend you stay at least once, it's a landmark. I personally think that most people that complain about this hotel need to take their nose out of the air, take the stick out of their butt and get over themselves. Remember you're in a socialist country that still uses ration cards and who have endured a 50+ year embargo. It's not going to be perfect and not like a U.S. 5 star hotel but it is nothing like you will see anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chicagogirl537
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We arrived here late after being delayed at Holguin airport, but were quickly checked in and escorted to our rooms. My friend had a lovely large twin room overlooking the entrance with a large, wetroom (for single occupancy). I had a very nicely decorated large single room with a large bathroom...overlooking the garden and sea...what a treat...from previous reviews...I was expecting us both to have small pokey, dingy rooms...perhaps we were lucky...perhaps some people expect more...I had a great night sleep...a good shower...and a very good breakfast for each night of the entire stay (4 nights).

Breakfast - Ok...it's a challenge on the first day...but once you've worked out that you need to go in early or a little later...to avoid the tour groups...it's fine...the food is good quality and in plentiful supply...but the best bit is the man who makes fresh coffee...don't drink the stuff out of the machine...visit the man with the espresso machine! Wonderful.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but enjoyed several cocktails in the terrace bar....a lovely place to sit and people watch.

Make sure you go on the hotel tour...it really is very interesting and informative...

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens and sea have beautiful views, but the music from the bar can be heard...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JulesJEE
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel should be one of the best in Havana. The beautiful setting with the extensive delightful gardens overlooking the sea. There is a varueity of music and entertainment within the hotel. Sadly it is run with state run indifference to the customers. The quality of the food in the cafe was poor with indifferent service, the quality of the expensive drinks was poor - I can get an infinitely better Mojito in London. One or two of the staff were helpful but the overall atmosphere is indifferent. It is also 'out of town' so you need a taxi to the old town. On a previous visit we had things stolen from our room so had learnt to keep our cases locked and nothing untoward happened this time. Best idea is to stay somewhere else but visit the gardens.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank FoodiePenguin
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Visited the Nacional de Cuba in mid January with my wife and another couple. We were given a room with a great view of the sea and Malecon.

The beauty of this hotel is it's grandeur and history. Every area of the hotel is impressive and taking one of the free daily tours (meet in lobby at 11am & 4pm) is well worth while. Some reviews say that the hotel is a little tired but my view is that this is part of the character of this historic building. Would you describe an English stately home as tied?

We ate in the 'Film Corner' cafeteria and found this to be good quality food - pizzas & burgers. We had breakfast in the main buffet 'La Veranda' and found the choice excellent. Freshly squeezed orange is always welcome first thing!

The hotel has had a lot of famous visitors over the years and continues to do so. We were pleased to meet Fidel Castros son Alex who was holding a photography exhibition.

If you are going to Havana I would recommend that you follow in the footsteps of Johnny Weismuller, Jude Law, Frank Sinatra, Edward VIII and John Wayne and experience the history of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank redbrowny
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Having stayed here as part of a summer holiday I still think fondly of this hotel. It was grand, in a pre-Revolution sense. Architecturally it was beautiful and gave us a glimpse of how things were in Havana in years past. The view of the harbour was amazing, as was the lobby. The covered veranda around the garden and fountain was wonderful, the perfect place to soak up the ambience and enjoy a mojito.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the harbour - amazing scenery.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple