“Just like bitter medication. You take it, don't enjoy it.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Colina

Hotel Colina
Ranked #58 of 77 Hotels in Havana
Spanish Town, British Virgin Islands
“Just like bitter medication. You take it, don't enjoy it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

It's a 2* Hotel in Cuba. I mean..really..you can expect something from a 4 or 5 one and still get disappointed, but not from this. Yes, hair in the bathroom, stained towels and half broken furniture. Was too afraid to look under the bed or try the air conditioned, but...Great location. 5 min walking from the Zorra y el Cuervo Jazz Club and the Buena Vista Social Club, 7 min from the seaside promenade and across the rod from the University of Havana. You can find Internet and good restaurants next door at the Habana Libre Hotel, where at the 25th floor there's a club with a great view as well. The National Hotel is close as well. You can use their pool. All in all, for it's value and just as a place to crash, it's doable. Good breakfast and great positioned cafeteria. Just on the street, great spot to have a coffee and look at people passing by. They have cheap sandwiches too. The staff wasn't bad either. Wouldn't do it to myself again, though.

Room Tip: Get one with a street view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank RoxanaPecete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stop me if this sounds familiar...

We had a room there in January 2012 for one week. We got the package from Sunwing. This included flying to Varadero, the shuttle van back and forth to Havana and the room which includes breakfast.

To start with the little good ...
1) Currency exchange in the hotel
2) Decent location in Vedado. We went to Vinales for 3 days & left our things in the Havana hotel as it was a good base
3) Breakfast eggs are good. There's fruit, juice, yogurty & tea if you're there before 9am or if you ask.
4) Cafe has a great full meal for 3.50 CUC & reasonably priced food and drinks which is hard to find in the area
5) Tour operators located in the lobby most times. Staff were fairly friendly & helpful with good english from the main desk
6) a Fair amount of younger male travellers at the hotel, so if you need, the hotel appears to be accomodating to alternative lifestyles... I didn't ask though

Other not so good ...
1) Floors not so bad... the maids did a good job with this old hotel.
2) Lights in hallway out late at night
3) Soundproofing is limited- the doors are the old doors with wooden slats at the top so you could see out into the hallway, etc.
4) Shower weak, but there was always hot water
5) Sometimes elevator not working or very busy, but only 5-6 floors so not end of the world
6) sheets are old & a bit scratchy... OK after first night. None of the pillows I used this trip were comfortable. Thin & unforgiving here. Too big elsewhere
7) Other food at breakfast: old cereal, tired spaghetti
8) Asked for late checkout & were quoted the usual 50% of regular price which was certainly too high at this hotel

Generally uninspired & there were casa particulair to stay in nearby. But in the end, it's the price that makes the difference here. The hotel & the Havana transfer were a convenience at little added cost. It might be difficult to find other people at the Varadero airport looking for a transfer at night, so

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank petersdrivein
Weyburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Located across from the steps of the university and centre of old Havana makes easy walk past the old structures of Spanish times. Easy to walk to Capital. Hotel National, museums 30 minutes. Lots of eating places, if you like Cuban. Hotel is like all Cuba needs repair. Busy area. Breakfast good, Lobby bar Restraunt good and cheap. Small rooms but clean comfortable bed and hot water. Many international guests.Not fancy nearby Melia is classy.Location good but not a very great hotel.

Room Tip: Get up high,email ahead
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed there in March 2011 for one week. I got the package from the east cost of Canada as a single for about $650. This included flying to Varadero, the shuttle van back and forth to Havana and the room which includes breakfast. So I'm the queen of budget travel and have stayed in some pretty swarmy places but have paid way less for the privilege and normally don't complain much. A few years back I went to Varadero with a friend for $585 in a 1.5 star and had a much better experience room wise.

To start with the little good ...
1) Currency exchange in the hotel
2) Decent location in Vedado
3) Breakfast with eggs is good
4) Cafe TV much further down has a great full meal for 3.50 CUC and other cafe's have reasonably priced food and drinks
5) Tour operators located in the lobby most times.

Other not so good ...
1) Floors never cleaned the whole time I was there, I had to wear shoes or slippers (but then I didn't complain either).
2) Lights in hallway out late at night
3) Soundproofing is nonexistant - the doors are the old doors with wooden slats at the top so you could see out into the hallway, etc.
4) Shower would sometimes come in cold or not at all and are mostly hand held so used a bungie cord to tie it up somewhat (but a regular patron suggested bringing a wire coathanger); bathroom had missing tiles and depending on the room water could seep out into your room if you didn't have the shower curtain just right
5) Internet was down the whole week I was there
6) Sometimes elevator not working, but only 5-6 floors so not end of the world
7) Other food at breakfast not so appetizing which we all know is not surprising but with the limited selection it makes it more a challenge to find some happy food to eat; the wonderful bread I used to have in Cuba must have been on strike that week so it was only hard dry little slices or rolls, and coffee was the worst I ever had in Cuba :( (but there was a great espresso bar a few blocks away that made up for it).
8) Front desk didn't speak hardly any English and my Spanish is still very limited (although I work on it every year). And they never got friendly even with the friendly east coaster ... I know many people say service isn't the best but I've found that I'm usually able to win them over by just being myself! They weren't mean, just didn't warm up to me or anyone else for that matter cause I was watching! You had to know what to ask them because they didn't offer up any information. (But the tour operators were quite lovely of course even though I didn't end up going on one of their tours).
9) Not sure how often the sheets were changed but again I didn't ask. The beds as are most in Cuba, hard, and pillows like thin pancakes (but then again the same as it was in the 1.5 star in Varadero).

So to stay there again, it would be more like under $500 - which it can be for those from Toronto or Montreal. Likely I'll wait last minute and try to find a discounted charter flight and then stay in a casa particular for a week. I visited some while I was there (and had stayed in one about 4 years ago when we went to Havana for the night) so will likely be my next trip. Unless of course I can find a package that is less than buying the flight on my own as sometimes happens, especially to the beach area outside of Havana. At one point Terrazul was only $465 return taxes in per person based on 2 people for 1 week! I'd stay there the first night and the last night but then zoom over to Havana for a casa stay if I felt the need or travel back and forth if I had too.

But in the end, for me it's the price that makes the difference. It seems that Havana has higher prices compared to Varadero (but there you get all inclusive at least) so if that's where I like to go I'll just have to bite it. Or there's always the option to get a cheap package to Varadero and then leave for about a week going elsewhere.

So if you wonder about my validity for this type of trip, then know that I'm strictly a budget/non-resorty type of person. I've lived in China for a number of months and when I did travel there, we had our moments. I've never stayed a resort/hotel higher than 2 star when travelling (except for once this June when I went to D.R. to a 3.5 star which is another story). In North America I either hostel or couchsurf (look it up!). So I've had my fair share of 'experiences' :) Cheers.

Room Tip: Check your room first as you may need to change a number of times.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank sugarnspice67ca
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Unfortunately I only read the Hotel Colina reviews on Trip Advisor after I had booked additional days at the beginning and end of a 3 week Intrepid tour as it is their start and end hotel. So I arrive at the hotel about midnight and get checked in and given a key. I manage to find the room and finally get the door by opening the shutters on the window as there was no electricity in the corridor. It went downhill from there...... Over the three week period I ended up staying in 4 different rooms and counted it lucky if I had a shower that worked and no bedbugs. On the positive side breakfast was pretty good with freshly made eggs how you like them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank EBoultbee

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

budget accomodation - but i guess you get what you pay for. doesnt pretend to be anything its not, staff were helpful esp considering i spk limited spanish. can change currency at front desk 24hrs which is handy. room was quiet (however seemed to depend on where you were in the building) - try and get a room higher off the street if possible. cold shower but clean bathroom. internet access also available (albiet slow)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Whitehorse
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Staying in Varadero, Decided to rent a car and drive to Havana. Had no hotel reservations and didn't want to pay the $160-$200 a night to stay near the capitole.
Ended up finding Hotel Colina. Paid $72 for a room with 3 single beds and includes breakfast! Parking on the street outside and could see our car from the room.
Great views of the city.
Just down the street from 3 clubs.
Friendly, Helpful hotel staff.
Keep in mind that this is a hotel for people on a budget not a resort.
yes I wore my flip flops in the shower but the water was hot, and the beds were clean.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends