“Brilliant, a home away from home. Gracias Asela!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago de Cuba
La Casona de San Jeronimo
London
“Brilliant, a home away from home. Gracias Asela!”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This casa was brilliant. We arrived late, but Asela was there waiting for us with open arms. The room was a great size, with a decent shower and hot water that didn't run out! The bed was comfortable and everything was extremely clean.

Asela's breakfast was brilliant and her tips on the local area were spot on, including the local taxi bus down to the beach. What was particularly comforting was that when she wasn't sure about something, she didn't give spurious recommendations.

We were able to stay in the room much later than check out as there were no other reservations, so all in all, it was a fantastic experience.

The location of the casa is really central, with a bit of a hill to negotiate [good to work off the mojitos :-)], and the patio area is a great place to relax.

Asela - fue un placer de conocerle en su bonita casa. Hasta la proxima vez, J&N

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JSH2904

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Santiago is quite big but this casa was ideally located in the "old city" of Santiago.

Really cosy rooms with a typical Cuban style. Very clean and the host has been extremely helpful and discussable. The breakfast that was offered was also very rich and gave us a lot of energy for our long walks during the day.

I have not tried any other casa particulare in Santiago but when I am around again, I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank alexandrosg
Manitoba
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This was my first trip to Cuba, and I really enjoyed my stay. Asela, the hostess, her friends and helpers made me feel at home. I stayed for two weeks, and had three meals per day.

One of my goals was to learn a little Spanish and experience Cuban culture. My stay at La Casa de San Jeronimo helped with these goals. Asela, the hostess, does not speak English, but has helpful people assisting who speak a variety of languages.

Santiago de Cuba is a hilly city set on a bay. When you leave the home, you can turn right and walk down the hill to the bay. From the back yard, you can see the beautiful Sierra Maestra mountains in the distance.

Threre is an inner courtyard with many tropical plants, including a lime tree. Behind the home, there are lovely gardens, including a guava tree and many banana plants. In the garden. I saw birds, including a hummingbird and goldfinch. There is a front and rear suite, both with self contained washrooms with showers. I stayed in the rear, which had a patio off the bedroom.

La Casa de San Jeronimo gave me a good feeling for Santiago de Cuba. I was provided with bottled water, and I remained healthy for my entire viist. Breakfasts consisted of fresh fruits, yogurt, bread, wonderful Cuban coffee and sometimes eggs. I had a special request for dry cereal, and the hostess made a special effort to find a bran cereal for me. Other meals included shrimp, pork, fish and a variety of tasty vegetable dishes, including an excellent eggplant dish. Another treat was a delicious okra soup.

Various friends and neighbours visited the home, and I was able to meet many people from Santiago de Cuba, some of whom joined us at meals.

An Argentinian woman also stayed in the other suite at the home for a few days when I was there. She was interested in seeing many sites, especially those in the historic section of town. She found the home very convenient for this as it is near, but not right in the noisy centre. Having said that, you can hear sounds such as roosters! Though conveniently located in the city, there is a semi-rural ambiance at La Casona de San Jeronimo.

It is a wonderful place from which to explore this fascinating old city. Just strolling the streets is an architectural treat. And the home is very close to museums and the music and dance action. The home is within the area featured in the maps of standard guide books.

Asela, the hostess, can help you with contacting a taxi, etc. Also, very handy in Santiago de Cuba, you can probalby have short term access to email if you ask Asela.

My bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable. After time spent walking on the hilly streets in the sunshine, it is refreshing to return to a shower, good meals and lush green vegetation.

If you contact La Casona de San Jeronimo in advance, I think they would be helpful in answering your questions about transportation, Spanish lessons, etc. They assisted me with transportation to and from the Santiago de Cuba airport.

If you want to try a Casa Particular in Santiago de Cuba, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo