See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 25, 2017

We stayed at Libertad for 2 nights in November, 2017. It is a stylish old hotel with beautiful colonial design. It is very clean, has good air conditioning and the staff are wonderful. The restaurant was equally impressive. If we're ever in Santiago again we would love to stay there again.

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed August 4, 2017

very ggod location, especialy friendly staff, nice touriostic hotel middle level for a good price, Santiago de Cuba is very nice city much bettter than Havana :) good breakfast for this price, they even can offer a lunch packet to take away for some additional fee

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed April 3, 2017

I can't really comment the rooms, because we never saw them. We choose this hotel because it looked charming (at least from the outside) and seemed to be good value.
We made a reservation that was confirmed 3 months before. When we turned up and presented the prepaid voucher, the woman at the reception started to look in papers, asked if we had other voucher (?) and made a phone call. Then she told us that they didn't have us on the list and they had no room for us! She then turned the back at me and attended other guests. I asked her what to do, and she said: I don't know, and turned away again. I stayed put, and when the doorman (!) came to my help, she very reluctantly, made some more phone calls, and we were followed to nearby Hotel Rex (also the Islazul chain).

Date of stay: February 2017
1  Thank AndisMoss
Reviewed June 27, 2016

We decided to stay here because of the price, across the street from Plaza de Marte, the good news is that it was a good value, clean and safe. The only negative was that on the roof was a noisy bar and the Plaza was always packed with noisy events. This was not always a bad thing as we went out into the Plaza often and saw so many interesting events. I suggest definitely spending a couple of nights here and then a couple of nights at a different location.

Date of stay: April 2016
2  Thank Howard S
Reviewed May 3, 2016

The Libertad has only 17 rooms, all of which are up a flight of stairs in a building with no elevator (lift). Keep this in mind if you have difficulty walking stairs. You can walk up another flight to a rooftop bar that gives a view of the adjacent plaza. On the main floor there's an adjacent restaurant where you can have the included breakfast or can order dinner. The breakfast was nothing special, so I didn't consider having dinner there. Extra points for service, though, since they opened early for me one day so that I could have breakfast before heading off to the bus station for an early bus.

I liked the location on the Plaza Marte, but some might want to be a bit closer to the Parque Céspedes. There's a jazz club and a grocery store across the street, and a popular bakery nearby.

The room was adequate, but I was unable to get hot water in the shower either morning that I was there - for me, that's a big negative. The WiFi worked well, but the hotel didn't have any of the Nauta cards that you need for surfing the Internet, so I had to wait at the ETECSA office (6 blocks away) to buy the necessary cards. The WiFi signal is fine in the lobby and bar areas, but not in the room.

I doubt if I would stay here again if I returned to Santiago. It's not that the Libertad is bad, though, but just that I saw other places that I would prefer to try on a future visit.

Date of stay: April 2016