“Wrong Hotel”

Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My daugher and I booked Los Corales but ended up at Carisol. Not good at all. The snorkeling was fantastic, so was the catamaran. But swimming in lots of sandy beach water forget it. Aqua shoes definately. I had researched this hotel so I was prepared as far as the swimming was concerned. Weather was beautiful all week.
The Corales is much preferred, looked cleaner and the buffet was 100% better than Carisol, so we ate there most of the time. Food was not covered though and there were flies about. Cannot understand how we ended up at the wrong Hotel.
We did have a wonderful week, but there was no hot water in our room and one day no water at all. This happened throughout the hotel not just our room. Big problem they said. Had to bribe maid for toilet paper. AND she never cleaned our room. Just made the bed and changed towels. No clean basin or mirror or floor. She was pleasant enough.
Pool was excellent and the entertainment guys and gals were fun.
We felt like we were camping a little bit. Don't mind roughing it but would like a little more cleanliness around the food and toilets. We would not recommend this hotel.

7  Thank kiwibirdmontreal

Reviewed 22 February 2012

We just came back from another fabulous week at Los Corales - Feb 14-21, 2012. The weather alone is enough to have me returning there year after year.....it was blue skies and feels like 38-40 all week long - very hot. We needed to apply and reapply sun block. The doctor was making his rounds on the beach and at the the pools telling you to either get in the shade or giving you creams...we spent some time in the sun and lots of time in the shade.

We were three travelers, my 11yr old son, my cousin and myself. This was our third time in Santiago de Cuba and second time at this resort. I had absolutely no problem with the food. I found there was a good selection of food - chicken, fish, pork chops, beef and vegetables galore!

You have to get used to Cuba time lol...you're on a vacation so relax....tranquilla...and enjoy. There were some issues - running out of toilet paper in the public bathroom which was quickly remedied because I always carry a pack of kleenex in my pack....little things like this should not ruin your vacation. I am fully aware of the price I paid for this...it's an incredibly affordable vacation and I get what I paid for.

It is an incredibly safe resort. My son was going from one resort to the other - either swimming or eating at different restaurants. While on the beach we'd snorkel or go on the catamaran, use the pedal boats or canoes or kayaks. It is never boring.

Reading some of the negative reviews makes we wonder if we were at the same place?! If the clientele would pick up after themselves instead of pitching their cigarette butts on the beach and dropping their plastic cups right there and then..wherever they stood...maybe the terrain would not be dirty. The conditions of the grounds is a direct result of these slobs...and there are ample garbage containers.

Our room was always cleaned and we never had any issues with lack of anything in our room. Anyone who has been traveling to Cuba knows...or should know that if money is made in the hotel industry it is funneled back to Havana and Varadero and Santiago usually gets nada and has to make do with what they have or don't have.

The staff is fantastic!!! Capitano Frank, Ernesto, the dive master, Anna, Sergio, Eliam...all there trying to make your stay amazing! Neorvis, the Manager is hands on and works so hard to please everyone the best that he can. He always comes through. I believe the resort would be lost without him. He knows his stuff!

I would return to this resort in a heartbeat! My 11yr old went scuba diving after his first pool lesson with Ernesto. Frank, Ernesto and my son then went on their first dive the next day...and two days later went to see the wreck of the Koreana...24 meters down! We are now planning to return in December where my son will spend one week getting certified....lessons everyday and 5 dives included and the written test. I am going to join him as well! What a wonderful way to spend your vacation!

It was very nice to see a younger crowd on the beach! Brought some life to the beach!

The disco was a blast - only went twice but it was great to dance salsa with willing Cubanos. I tried to keep up...stepped on a couple of toes lol but it was all in fun!

Please...take the time to research where you intend to go and if you expect 5 star treatment then book 5 star. I know it's a 3 star but for me It might as well be a 5 star because that's the treatment I get. Take the time to meet and greet the staff. There's a reason people return year after year.

We cannot wait to book two weeks in December!

Room Tip: bring snacks if your children are picky. I was in room 514 Los Corales - nice room but if you are a...
11  Thank pinamimi
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I bought trip to Los Corales, however they gave room at Los Carisol
Everithing loocks old and never renovated
Food was horrible,my son got diarrhea . Programm not funny at all.
Territory is durty.Everiver home enemal ship. Stuffs not friendly.
Not recomended for yonge people. Not recomended for single.
Recomended only for very poor family after 65

2  Thank Sergey K
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Only 1 bad thing about this resort they seem to run out of beer & coke so beware if you drink this and get to the buffet early, early as the food gets cold fast & picked over and goes fast.
Rooms were clean, maids were friendly, weather was perfect very, very hot. Good swim up bar, outdoor b-b-q alacarte was very good, fish,pork or chicken. Entertainment shows very nice fashion shows and fire eater amazing. Beach windy at times but very white sand.
Vendors on beach would barter I picked up 2 cuban instruments very cheap for 3 CUC's & 5 CUC's on the beach. All in all I would visit again as we only paid $1200 for 2 all in if the price was the same. Met alot of fellow Canadians there at the time. Next trip will be to Holguin Apr 11- Apr 18 2012 to see another part of Cuba to Club Amigo Guardalavaca for a change.
Will review when back from there . I hear it's pretty good there too.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank iluvthedomrep
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We have been traveling to Cuba for 8 year, so we know generally what to expect. But this time when arriving at Los Corales I knew I did a wrong step! Everything looks old and run down.
This is a good resort to relax, but the food was horrible! This was the worst food I have ever been served in my life. A lot of birds and bugs in the restaurant. Dogs and cats around the food service areas and asking for food. The pizza and spagetti were OK.
We were shocked at the lack of amenities in this time. But do not worry about lack of drinks, if you want an extra bottle of wine just ask Odalis in the restaurant (little fat, blonde with short hair). For only $2.00 convertible pesos, she’ll give you a good bottle of wine (“Antre rios”, I think) You can buy some other stuff outside the resort.
The weather was amazing and the beach was nice, but I don’t recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ronald R
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We wanted the south of Cuba for reliable warm weather in Jan. Also the price was great!
Good: The Santiago de Cuba airport is clean and efficient.Upon leaving the store there also has some cheaper gifts and booze than the resort. The drive to the resort is beautiful with lots of mountain views as well as seeing lots of local culture. We were at Carisol which just re-opened Jan. It needs many repairs that are not just day to day things, but results from a hurricaine a few years back. Within a day much of the clean-up and gardening was being done as well as some new windows at the villas. This side was less busy and very quiet. The beach and snorkelling were great. There is some sand for swimming, a large reef and lots of free paddleboats etc. There were shade trees and lots of beach chairs. We brought water shoes and Canadian Tire snorkelling equipment. We did the free shuttle to Santiago which was fun and our guide stayed with us. In hindsight I wish we had rented a cab to the Castle, but next time. The night shows are good, the dancers well trained and the comedy show very funny and the magician is great!
We enjoyed the dogs, cats, horses and goats running through!!
Some of the food was good like the breakfast omelettes, fruit, grilled chicken, pizza, stirfry and beach grill plantain chips. Some was mystery food. The drinks were good especially the lobby bars and beach bar and there are 3 large barristas that make better cappacino than the buffets.
We bought a 60 minute computer card for 6 pesos and got 4 email visits home which was great to check on all our kids.
Bad: The resort needs work. I don't mind tipping and i brought lots of gifts. Some staff pressured us for things or tried to bribe us to pay more for the free shuttle saying it was full. We were the first to sign up so I called the bluff and some people had no seats and I had to sit on my spouse's lap. Corales gets first pick up so go there to board. They have more amenities so we often went there, a short walk away. Our side had a lot of day pass local Cubans and the amount of food especially meat going out of there in bags was unseen by me at other Cuban resorts. If you went to the buffet late it was wiped out or the grill guy hoarded good meat and said he was all out or at the Beach Grill at lunch you may have ordered first, but will wait while 30 hamburgers are brought to a couple of locals and packed up. The food was good and bad. We did not get sick.
There is a bit of local "sex" trade going on, but just turn a blind eye. (or swim away!!)
Overall, we enjoyed the wonderful weather, the beach and we met so many great people. We would do more hiking next time. The farmers across the road will graciously offer horseback rides, meals and banana farm tours for pesos or clothes. They really appreciate jeans, shoes or shirts etc. if you can pack some extra stuff you don't need. If you want a bit more upscale, book Corales as it has been fixed up more. I have only been to Varadero and those higher end resorts do have set backs too. It would be great to see some work done here as this is a fabulous area to visit and that is what would bring us back.

Room Tip: We asked for extra pillows and two pillowcases per pillow as they are stained and gross! I wold requ...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank feb1960
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We started off with our flight being late, but we had no problems at the Cuba airport, getting on our bus and checking into our room. I got exactly what I requested when I booked, a 2nd floor room facing the pool. We were on the Carisol side. Which didn't matter to us. Most people prefered the Corales side. The room was big and clean. We did have some small ants, but not a big deal. Air was great, bathroom was fine and yes the beds are hard. We used the extra blankets under our heads and I always bring an extra pillow. This is a 3* resort. We paid $1729.00 for 3 of us and we got what we expected for that price with the bonous of the beautiful countryside all around us. We walked back and forth the each side to use every thing between the 2 resorts. Yes there is more to offer at Carales, as far as slushie drinks during the day till 5ish, yummy and the 24 hr bar. It takes a couple of mins to walk down the path, but your walking through a field and we enjoyed seeing the mountains around you, the horses, goats and some times piggy's. It was good to have that walk a couple of times a day to get you off your butt. It was a short walk to the beach and the beach is beautiful. It's so nice to take a walk down both directions. If you go down past Corales ( it's just a few mins.) there's a cove, cross the road and there's a beautiful garden to walk through. We met a local there who walked around with us and then we set up a horse back tour. For 3 of us it cost 40 pesos. We were alittle nervous being this is our first time doing any thing with a local, but we heard it was safe and we have been to Cuba 5 times now, different areas. What a wonderful time we had with this trip. We met across the street from the resort and he took us to the Lagoon where we stopped and had a great lobster lunch then continued around the hills for 4 hours coming back to the front of the resort. What a great deal!
The snorkeling is great off the beach. There's lots of shady spots under trees and a cute beach bar. Yes, there is dogs all around, but we didn't find they bothered us. They will follow you around abit and then lay down. We have a daughter who would play with them, but she knows not to touch them. Some of them are in bad shape, sores all over them.
Some bugs were biting people like crazy. I never seen so many people with terrible bites all over them. It was nasty. We sprayed ourselves every night and used Off cream on our legs. We only had a few bites. Beware! This was the worst for bugs. On a happy note we never seen one cockroach on the resort.
We did the boat tour to Santiago Bay. Great trip! Nice snorkeling at Daiquiri bay. The views along the ride were amazing. Mountains all along the coast. We had lunch at the marina then took a bus into Santiago. We did a walking tour through town then bused back to the resort.
We did the Jeep Safari. A must trip for us every where we go. It's the best way to see where you are. Take in the culture and usually have a great lunch. We visited the Botanical garden, drove up the mountain, AMAZING views and climbed the Big Rock! Breathtaking! It's a nice hike up. 400 and some steps. Then went to a coffee plantation. It was educational, interesting story about the family who was there. Don't want to give it all away!! Had the best food we ate all week for lunch at a ranch. Every one on the tour was happy. Then went to a Prehistorical park with life size dinosours. It was really neat. Again another nice walk around. We managed to squeeze in the car museum on the way back for a peso per person. We love old cars and I had knew about this. It was a nice surprise for my husband. It was a great day. We really enjoyed it. Our 10 yr had a great time!
We also went to Baconao Park. We lucked out with this one. No else booked the tour which was a bus tour. So because it was only us we got a horse and buggy ride for the tour. We had a boat tour around the Lagoon then went to the Baconao Aquarium. My daughter and I were the only ones swimming with the dolphins. It was nice. Our personal time! Then we watched the show, checked out the museum and headed back to the resort. It was great.
The food, well, yap not much selection for breakfast or lunch at the buffets. Supper's were better. The pizza's were ok. The Oriental stir fry at lunch was very good! La carte's, the " Grill" was good, the " Cuban" was good and the Italian was terrible, no app. crappy noodles and no dessert! The worst of it was the birds pooping all over the table which turned us off to start with. We sat down at our table to see fresh poop all over the plates. The waiter took them away and felt bad. We were afraid to take our eyes off our plates when we got them. My husband got pooped on the shoulder. It was not a good experience and the food was plain! The one night at the Carisol buffet the birds were crazy flying around. Beware and watch your food. It's open so what can you expect! The drinks were good. Don't ask for any thing fancy because they won't make it. Stick to the basics and you will get plently. I enjoyed cherry licor with cola, " cherry coke" and a few other drinks. The orange slushies with rum is very nice!
Final words, we had a great trip! No thing went wrong. The resort is a nice 3* resort. It was clean, beautiful area, you can find enough to eat, we weren't hungry, service was great, friendly staff, big room, great beach, oh if you go to the disco after 11 the drinks are 1 peso, that was not a big deal to us, however, if you're up for alittle walk you walk over to the 24hr bar load up your mug and come back, we would party till about 2:30am there. We felt very safe walking around off the resort. We liked it here and may come back again. Remember, it's all in what you make it! Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: the 2nd floor rooms are bigger and high ceilings. On the Carisol side we were in the 300's which...
13  Thank CRAZEEGIRL70
3.4 km away
Hotel Rex
Hotel Rex
#11 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba

Been to Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales? Share your experiences!