“Amazing food!”

Ranked #30 of 98 Restaurants in Varadero
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2020

The place was full of local people which is a good sign!
We struggled to get a table as it was very popular. The food was amazing (rice with lobster).
Service could be better (slow and impersonal) but it was a very busy day in their defence.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank Rubbertoe318

Reviewed January 5, 2020

La Vicaria is great value for money. It is located very close to the beach and the atmosphere is nice. The portions are big. There were main courses in the range 5-7 USD!

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank bdimitrov0902
Reviewed December 29, 2019

Had lunch with some Cuban friends at the end of November. We waited quite some time for the waitress to come to our table and longer for our drinks. The first item on the menu I asked for, they did not have...same for the second one. Eventually settled on a chicken parmesan type chicken. My 3 friends had more luck with their requests. The servings were large and I split my chicken with 2 of my friends. It was ok but a little overcooked.
We waited a long time for our bill, eventually asked for it. It was brought to us by an older lady who did not smile once the whole time we were there.
Will choose a different place next time, lots of restaurants in the area.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 17, 2019

My husband and myself have been travelling around Cuba for about a week when we stopped at Varadero for a few days. Having had a long bus ride to get there we were quite hungry, and this place was nearby and looked fairly busy so went in for a meal. At this point we were already somewhat accustomed to the local cuisine and more or less knew what to expect, and yet this place managed to exceed all expectations and not in a good way.

I know most restaurants in Cuba don't exactly have pristine bathroom hygiene but this one was dirty, and obviously had no soap or toilet paper, best to cross your legs and hope for the best kind of situation.

The waitresses weren't really bothered to provide customer service, but eventually did take our food order. The portions were massive, so there's that. But the food itself was tasteless, and not even close to fresh. I ordered chicken, and, considering they have live hens and roosters roaming about the restaurant, you would expect they could maybe utilise that? My husband ordered breaded pork steak which came out very dark brown which could possibly mean that it was either burn or the oil had not been changed for some time. I don't know for a fact so take your pick. The side rice was crispy, which, to the best of my knowledge, happens when the rice is at least a day old, so my best guess is that the rice was refried. Because of the long wait in the first place we tried our best to eat as we were starved at this point so ignored the taste as best as we could, although I did end up feeding my chicken to the poor kitten who was again roaming freely among the hens and roosters. After we were very clearly done eating (the plates weren't empty but mosts restaurants can normally tell when a customer is finished), we were ignored for about half an hour. We finally decided to approach our waitress ourself to ask for the bill. I mean it's fairly cheap (although we've eaten way better food way cheaper elsewhere in Cuba).

For the grand finale we barely managed to get back to our casa when we got the absolute worst food poisoning. I'll spare you the details but as a reference, I have not been this sick since I've had a burst appendix over a decade ago. Until they sort themselves out, this place is best to be avoided.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Rugilė Ž
Reviewed October 2, 2019

I enjoyed by meal and in fact ate here twice during a recent trip to Varadero. Oddly the male waiter provided everything as advertised the female one did not and charged me more..

Date of visit: September 2019