Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Marilyn G

Roc Barlovento, Great trip with friends, Cuban people are the best. Resort needs some work

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 11, 2024
Being with friends anywhere, is the best vacation.
However, there are things that can make a vacation less enjoyable too.
I understand that Cuba is suffering from lack of some basic supplies, and I took as much with me, as I possibly could, to share with the staff at the resort.
I took an extra suitcase filled with things that others said were needed there.
I thought the extra cost was worth it.
I knew they would appreciate having some of the things we take for granted.
I wasn't wrong.
We took enough cat food to feed 10 cats for a week, and we did.
Since coming home I've made a donation to "All People for Animals in Cuba" please look them up and donate if you can.
They operate a trap, neuter and release program for resort cats/dogs in Cuba.
The Roc has about 30 cats, mostly spayed or neutered.
The people there are fantastic and do everything they can to make your vacation as good as possible.
The beach at the Roc is second to none, we spent most of the days there, only stopping at the pool on our way back to the room each day.
Daniel, at the pool is a gem, he interacted with the people and made them all feel important. A fun guy who is an asset to the resort.
I didn't hear anyone complaining, even about the food, which was scarce the week me and my 3 friends were there. Some days there was no bread, eggs, rum, coffee *except in the lobby bar. I took instant coffee, having been forewarned... but you can't beat Cuban coffee, I missed that this time.
They cannot serve, what they don't have.
I didn't starve, but if I never see any more squash, cucumbers, rice or tomatoes again, I'm okay with that. Surprised at the lack of fruit too, lots of papaya, not much else. Maybe it's the wrong time of the year for fruit?? March 16-23
We discovered a restaurant only a few doors to the right, when you leave the lobby, La Sangria.....Great pizza *they serve other things* only 12 dollars Canadian for a 12 inch pizza and a Pina Colada for 3 dollars.
Drinks were not good, served in plastic, even in the lobby. I kind of knew that going in, from other reviews, so I took my own Tequila.
The resort itself needs some repairs and updating. (I've been there 4 times) I have not seen any updates, at least in the rooms I've stayed in.
I will say that the entertainment was amazing, weather interfered with the pool show, but I had seen it a few times and they filled in with some other entertainment I heard... a movie or something... we didn't stay for that.
Speaking of weather, Mother Nature put on quite a show for us that night too.. spectacular light show, with lots of rolling thunder, it was amazing... loved it.
I don't mean this to be a negative review, we had a blast, but if things don't start looking up at the Roc, then we might have to reconsider going to Cuba next year.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: If you are visiting Cuba, take lots of Canadian and American money and distribute it generously,...
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
4.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
4.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded Apr 12, 2024
Dear Marilyn, thank you very much for your feedback. Your criteria are of utmost importance for Roc Barlovento, thank you for choosing us and being part of this great family. We look forward to seeing you next year.
C$82
C$39
Fully refundable
1.4 km from Hotel Roc Barlovento
Beachfront
Terraza ideal para la lectura, el café en la mañana y el disfrute de las bellezas naturales locales.
0.7 km from Hotel Roc Barlovento
1.0 km from Hotel Roc Barlovento
0.7 km from Hotel Roc Barlovento
View more hotels in Varadero
3,775 results
All reviews the mexican restaurant beach bar chicken fish water pressure close to town bring your own beautiful beach nightly entertainment a la cartes the grill pizza pools were clean second home main buffet great vacation other resorts
Selected filters
Reviewed April 4, 2024

People are awesome,great staff,beach is so beautiful, we love this hotel and we are planning to comeback,entertainment team is so great,Lazaro from entertainment team is excellent,room are good,and tne ranchon is so good to have dinner there,thank you

Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Director General, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2024

Dear Jan, thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have you as a customer at Roc Barlovento, thank you for choosing us. Always welcome.

Reviewed April 3, 2024

Resort location to the beach is good, people are friendly, buildings were run down, many problems, there for 7 days had to switch rooms a few times, either air conditioning, or water problem, no hot water, water shut off often, rooms flooding, or bad smell, beds not confotable, cockroaches. Food was very bland and same meals served every day, mad it very boring, for bei g by the beach offered no sea food, no eggs, and rooms were not stocked daily with simple supplies like toilet paper and water ect.

They play spanish music loud in the main pool area very loudly, making sleeping in nearly imposible. Entertainment was very repetitive with same dancers and entertainers every night.

Access to the beach was top notch, beautiful clean shore line.

Only giving 2 stars as this resort needs a lot of updating, and more variety for price that was paid.

Room tip: Book else where.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank amberleek2024
Director General, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2024

Dear Amberleek, thank you very much for your opinion. We are sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay in our hotel, your criteria are of utmost importance for the improvement of our hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2024

The Barlovento has become our favourite home in Varadero, where we now get to spend a fabulous three weeks twice a year. We're always so well taken care of and spoiled by our Cuban family who all work at the resort. This was our 12th time and counting. We love their loyal customer event where they serve a delicious lobster dinner and sangrias.......so yummy. The resort is always so comfortable and well maintained even with a few Cuban hiccups, all we need is their beautiful sandy beach, turquoise blue ocean, warm sunny days, comfortable room and most importantly all the absolutely wonderful people (to many to list) we love you all. We even got to experience an incredible thunderstorm that kept everyone huddled in the lobby for a day. This always helps to freshen the air and the next day the sun is back, very cool. If you're looking for a resort where you just want to relax, have a little fun and be well looked after we will always recommend our little home. See you all in November!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Director General, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2024

Dear Mark, thank you very much for your feedback. Thank you for considering Roc Barlovento your home in Varadero, thank you for visiting us 12 times and for being a repeat customer of our hotel. Your criteria are of utmost importance, always welcome. Thank you for choosing us, you our clients are our reason for being.

Reviewed March 31, 2024

This was our 5th theme staying at Roc Barlovento. The staff are nothing but amazing! They go out of their way to make sure you are taking care of to the very best of their ability with what they have. Shortages have happened during this trip on certain things but no one goes hungry, there is always something to eat and drink. We have learned to adapt our shower time as we discovered that sometimes there’s no water pressure or hot water except for around 4pm, this could be different depending on the room I guess.
Be prepared to see lots of friendly cats! There is a large cat colony that lives at the resort. There are donation based groups in Cuba that spay/neuter and releases them back. After learning about this we now bring food and treats every time we come.
This resort has become like our second home, we will probably never stay anywhere else!
Also, the beach is beautiful!

Room tip: If you are an animal lover bring cat treats.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Director General, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2024

Dear customer, thank you very much for your opinion. Thank you for considering Roc Barlovento as your second home. You, our customers, are our reason for being. Thank you for choosing us, always welcome.

Reviewed March 29, 2024

Worst hotel I've ever been.
There was no hot water not a single day. We reported the problemmany times and they would always fix it "in 15 minutes". Never happened.
In general, food was acceptable, except for the "specialized" Mexican restaurant wich was disgusting. Cocktails were horrible. Coffee was drinkable.
Attention from staff was disappointing. The only nice people around were actually the other tourists. Worst of all were male workers harrasing us, from catcalling to inappropriate comments.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Patricia M

Dear Patricia, thank you very much for your opinion. We regret that we did not meet your expectations in our hotel. Our staff is trained to provide you with the best service.