“A great family holiday!”

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My family and I stayed at the Arenas Doradas from March 26th-April 9th. There are eight of us, our six children and my husband and I. We really enjoyed ourselves and would go back again in a heart beat. The beach and the water are amazing, the food was very good, the grounds were neat and clean, as well as the rooms. We really couldn't find anything to complain about, because it was a very nice resort. The only unfortunate thing was, one of the waitresses had a very bad attitude for no apparent reason. Her name is Metadda and I would definitely stay away from her. She works in the buffet and the snack bar and is very rude and likes to yell at people in Spanish. Others we meet complained about her as well. It only takes one bad apple to spoil a good thing, which is why we didn't let our opinion of that experience ruin our view of this hotel. I would recommend this place to people who are looking for a relaxing, safe family holiday. I found in our experience their that you will never please everyone, especially those who whine and complain about everything. Don't believe everything you read, cause I honestly couldn't find a bad thing about our stay. Enjoy yourself and remember the reason you left home in the first place, a holiday away from your busy life, just enjoy that you are in Cuba. L&J Shaw

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Shaw2012
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear Customer,

We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our operation and services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Arenas Doradas and very much hope that you will remain a valued customer.

I forward a copy of your comments to the departments and staff mentioned.

Hotel Arenas Doradas

Write a ReviewReviews (3,081)

Reviewed 12 April 2012

First let me say that my husband and I have stayed in Cuba at two other resorts and we had no issues arise.
Now....our stay at the Arenas was a nightmare to say the least. We are not fussy people but this was over the top horrible. These are the following issues:
* dust and dirt behind our room door upon arrival.
* Fridge in room empty- no water
* Tub rusty and enamel chipped right off
* Food - always ran out, and not refilled Drinks - very limited and always ran out
* Coffee machine broken in buffet and when checking out at 5 am coffee machine broken in front lobby
* No clean towels for two days
* Bathrooms smell like urine, no soap in dispensers ( always empty) no toilet seats
* lounge chairs broken on beach, very limited and broken not picked up
* maintenance to pool bar during the day ( closed) temp bar set up ( drinks warm)
* mattresses have rubber sheet, very uncomfortable
I can go on and on.... at best this is 2 star hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Suzanne B

Dear Customer,

Regarding your review, we regret not having met your expectations. We realize that we need to improve some weaknesses in our services, and I assure you that we are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us, as we are committed to give best service to our customers.

I apologise for the annoyance that this may have caused to you. The company is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Arrived at Arenas Doradas around 9:30 pm ,two bus loads with two girls at the desk.I went in 1st while my hubby waited for the luggage otherwise I'd still be there.A bellboy took us to our room on a golf cart sort of thingy.They give you a map,but after dark you can't find anything.The rooms were basic,but clean,we had everything we needed,a/c worked great !. The maid cleaned our room every morning & left us a large bottle of water also. We went with another couple & had a great vacation because we didn't look for the negative !.We've been to about 10 all inclusives now from mexico,cuba,domican republic,Hawaii,jamaica so i've seen 3*-5* and everything in between. I wouldn't say it is a 4*,but to be fair the staff are very friendly & work hard to make your stay enjoyable.We had great weather,the beach is beautiful & if they fixed the broken chairs there would be no problem finding one.The pool is beautiful & clean with a fun staff at the bar.The workers are always working on the grounds,planting flowers,trimming shrubs etc.It is an old resort & slowly getting work done to keep it looking good.Several things don't work-fountains in the lobby ,lights burned out along the walkways,I'm just writing my review as we saw it,I'm not putting down the resort in any way,just giving my opinion so don't shoot the messenger lol. All in all when people ask me if I enjoyed my holiday I will say yes,because we did ! I got a good deal & went for it & would do so again if I got the chance,Cuba is a country like no other so don't compare it to the other places you"ve been.I said I would be fair so here goes-the buffet food is terrible,except for the breakfast.The beach grill & pool grill are great,with ribs,chicken,hamburgers,fries all done on the grill -great !!.I sure didn't loose weight while there-with that in mind,go & have fun. Hola

Room Tip: we stayed in bldg #9 facing the pool & close to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank carrottop44

Dear Customer,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write letting us know about your stay at Arenas Doradas, which are very useful to improve our services.

If you plan to return to Varadero in the future, please contact us to provide you a personal attention. We will be pleased to have another opportunity to welcome you in ARENAS DORADAS, we are sure you will have a great stay.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Do NOT go to this hotel / resort! It is the worst I have ever seen. The good reviews you see on here are made up people that own the resort. We got food poisoned, cockroaches on the bread, in the bread section all over the bread, along the edges of the floor's as well. Service was so terrible, could never get silverware or a drink. Gran Caribe are the parent company, this letter is also to you. My wife and I decided to book a trip to Cuba to Arenas Doradas, the so called four star all inclusive hotel and resort is really a 0 (zero). Our friends and we departed from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on January 12, 2012 and we returned on January 19, 2012. We flew direct with Sunwing. So let me tell you our experience with the hotel. Our hotel rooms were dirty, mold in the tub, our toilet never stopped flushing for the whole 7 days, we only had one lamp in our hotel room which made it very dark and hard to see. The entrance light was burnt out as well as the light above the toilet, as well as the patio light. We complained a few times for the first three days and gave up because no one came to fix them. We had no patio table and chairs but they did resolve that. Our friends room was very musty and moldy, their room safe would not work so they had to share ours. The water pressure (in both our rooms) for a shower was a dribble and the water was luke warm, not hot. Of course we complained, they wrote it down but did nothing.
Now let’s move on to the food, in the main buffet restaurant there is a bread and bun section, we seen cockroaches crawling all over the bread and buns. My friend was eating his veal when he found a bone, it was a vertebrae from a very small animal, not from a cow or pig if you know what I mean. We were appalled and disgusted. Another friend was eating the pork when she noticed something rubbery and jelly like, after examining it they realized it was a piece of raw chicken. We thought we should try the a’ la carte’s, well that wasn’t any better, when serving my wife her salad, she went to start eating when a bug crawled out of it, I had to grab the plate and take it away from her, they never apologized just brought us another one, we hope it was a new one. I took a bun (bread) and went to bite into it, well I almost broke my tooth, hard as a rock. At a different day and different a’ la carte, I thought I would try a bun again and hoped it wouldn’t be like the last one, no, it was the same, we couldn’t even stab a fork into it, we noticed our neighbours complaining about their buns as well. Our friends walked into the International a’ la carte, seen numerous cockroaches along the edges of the floor and wall, they walked out. One evening I went to the snack bar by the pool to get a hamburger, I ate half of it but it didn’t taste right so I stopped eating it, went back to the room and threw up for the evening and was very sick, don’t know if it was raw or just bad meat. Our other friends decided on the last evening there to eat burgers as well, well both of them ended up throwing up all night and very sick. The main buffet was horrible food, recycled from the day or days before, same food every day. Every day they would post a sign with a new theme, Russian, Asian, Spanish, etc. but the food never changed. No cold milk for cereal, the bacon was next to raw every day. I seen then using tap water and powder to make the milk. Hard to know what you were eating when they forget to change the signs or put them up. The fountain/juice drink machines hardly ever worked, I think once in 7 days. I ate spaghetti every day I was there as that was the only thing I could stomach. We still get sick when we think about our food on our holiday.
Now let’s talk about the service or lack of, in the main buffet restaurant, it was impossible to get service, there were workers but they couldn’t be bothered to help you. Every day was a fight to get silverware and a drink. Many times I would ask for a fork so I could start eating, the lady would say yes, ok, but never come back, had to always find one somewhere else. The workers outside and security on the beach were always trying to sell you Cuban cigars under the table, I seen them take one tourist behind a building, the worker reached under the building and pulled out a box of cigars. The security on the beach were taking bribes from the sellers, we watched it time and time again.
The bars and lounge’s, not friendly staff, and give you such a dirty look if you don’t tip. The person in front of me got his drink and the bartender said, wait, tip , tip, tip!!! If you didn’t tip, your next drink was a watery garbage. My friend and I went to the swim up bar sat in the pool, wanted to order a drink, the grumpy looking guy just looked at us and said “CLOSED!” I said, but you have all this alcohol right here, can we get two drinks, again he looked at us and said “CLOSED”! Very nice service don’t you think?
We were not happy with Sunwing either, they booked it as a four star but in magazines and other websites it was rated as a three and a half star. They only allow 20 Kg total weight including carry on, on the way home from Cuba, the lady at the Cuban airport charged us $20 CUC for being a little overweight, and that 20 went straight to her pocket, not to the system.
Anyway, I could go on and on but you get the point, we had a horrible vacation!

Room Tip: Stay away from this resort!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Warren678
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Customer and TripAdvisor readers,

We feel a deep respect for the views and opinions from our customers, and in the same way we expect the same respect for clients who share their satisfaction with our services.

On behalf of Hotel Arenas Doradas, please accept our apologies for your unpleasant stay on January 2012.

According to our Customer Service records, all the failures reported by you during your stay were resolved within 24 hours as established by our quality procedures.

We assure you that your experience with the food is not a common problem, and to ensure that this will not be a repeat occurrence, we believe that creating an internal auditing team over the next few weeks will prevent this from happening again.

Thanking you in advance for your understanding, I do remain at your entire disposal for any further information that you might need.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I was worried with all the bad reviews I have read here, and I wasn't expecting much... I was in for a surprise, and a nice one!

Room
We had a first floor room and it was very clean. We were supposed to only have a bottle of water a week and have to fill it at the bar when we needed more but the maid left one new every day. Despite the fact that it was on the first floor, we didn't see a single bug, I checked the mattress for bed bugs and found none. Everything was working well (AC, lights), we had hot water (sometimes a bit more on the warm side but only around 5pm, which is normal, considering all the people taking their shower at that time..) The beds were comfy so we slept very well.

It was my first time in Cuba and before I left everyone I know told me that I was basically going to live on Pasta/Bread for the whole week. I was expecting the worst, to be honest. I eat very clean and workout everyday so good, healthy, quality food for me is a must.
I honestly don't understand why people here complain about the food at that Hotel!!
We always had frest fruits, vegetables, a good choice of meat at the buffet and if you go see the grill chef, he will make you whatever you wish (I had chicken breasts, shrimps, pork and fish and they were all delicious) In the morning, you can have omelets, eggs and bacon, even crepes and French toast! For god's sake, people... stop being SO picky, everything out there was just good! I mean, I saw some people with their peanut butter jars at the buffet in the morning and was discusted by that behaviour. I thought it was just plain stupid and pointless.
One more thing... If you go behind the beach bar between 12:00 and 3pm, there are some cute little tables under palm trees with a grill there, every day they have a choice of 3 meats and are served with rice and vegetables, it was simply delicious, we went there every day.

Beach and Pool
The Beach was beautiful and clean. Same with the Pool area. There was entertainment on the beach in the morning and around the pool in the afternoon. The staff is hilarious and really try hard to get people to join! They are a lot of fun!

I read here that a lot of people spent days sick over there because of the food, may I suggest checking if you guys might have some other health issues instead of blaming it on the food? My boyfriend has a very sensitive stomach and has problem digesting, funny enough he wasn't sick at all out there. He is very picky and had no issues finding good food, he even gained weight cause he ate like a pig (loved the shrimps from the grill! lol)

To all the picky people out there that have been on a trip or are even planning one, if you are SO picky that you can't even take good quality food that is being grilled right in front of your eyes by a chef, then I suggest you just stay home with your peanut butter jar, cause you'll never be satisfied anywhere...

We plan on going to Cancun next, but if we were to go back to Cuba it would be in that Resort for sure!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ClassickQC
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Will be returning next year .... staff was wonderful and I returned home with a few extra pounds so the food was obviously just as wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kim G
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had the worst experience at this hotel. As we walked into the lobby, we could tell right away the photos were misleading. It was dirty and the staff were not very friendly. The worst part of the whole trip was not only did we pay extra to guarantee we would have a king size bed (we are recently engaged and this trip was to celebrate) and got 2 queens...but the headboard of my bed was infested with wood bugs. After days of wondering how this little 'pile of sand' kept showing up on my pillow and in MY HAIR when I would wake up, I bring it to the front desks attention and they laughed it off. "Oh that's poop from wood bugs". ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I flipped our mattress over and took a photo of all the 'poop' that had accumulated between that and the box spring. IT WAS CRAZY. They grudgingly changed our room, after my fiance got upset with them about it... to one that did not have a working air conditioner. There is a long list of other things that happened while at this resort, I do NOT recommend going here. This was advertised to us online as a 4 star resort.. it is at best a 2 and a half!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple