“All things said and done, a value to consider.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dos Mares

Hotel Dos Mares
Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Vancouver, Canada
“All things said and done, a value to consider.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

I have travelled to Varadero 35 times in 33 years and this was a first time stay for me at this hotel although very familiar with its location and style over the years. I was travelling with a friend on short notice trying to budget travel this time and booked two separate single occupancy rooms for a weeks stay. The single room is tiny, but workable and very clean with pleasant hotel and support staff,,,,,,,except for one server in the restaurant with a bit of bad attitude when you want more than the two 2/3 full small cups of coffee included with your breakfast. Breakfast itself was very good. Not a big deal, but check the attitude and communicate with the tourist as to why you are not getting another cup of coffee, it would save a bad memory of an otherwise decent product. I must say that I found the room a bit noisy from street traffic and hallway noise but am a light and sensitive to sound sleeper at best. It's a short block to the beach and I was surprised at how pleasant the beach itself was except having to pay for chairs which is likely customary in a place such as this. Two cuc's per day per person. Beach staff was good, not pushy once they figured out if you were drinking on the beach or not, otherwise very comfortable and safe. Great location in town, pleasant walking distance to most anything in either direction and a good menu for general meals not included with the room at very reasonable prices. I ended up changing to a quieter all inclusive hotel in town after the third day and the front desk staff was cooperative with this and arranged to contact the company I booked the rooms through for a refund of the unused nights. This was Cuba Travel Networks used to book the rooms and my hats off to Karla and Nelson there for their professional and cordial help and communications. The room credit was posted to my card by the time I got home last night (Feb 26th). If you want more, then pay more, but if on a budget or a short stopover, other than the coffee incident I would not hesitate to recommend this so long as the limits of service or convenience are explained beforehand and accepted at a bit of your own risk. I will likely not stay there again only for the reasons of being sensitive to noise while trying to sleep, but for most people this is likely very tolerable but be prepared for a single room single bed stay to keep your luggage packed as there is little place else to put all your junk you brought and may take back home with you from your trip. PS,,,,if there was a real complaint beyond the coffee and noise, it was the lack of any decent pressure to the shower on the 2nd floor and perhaps elsewhere in the hotel. Hot water took a few minutes to get to the room but the shower was like watering a plant with a small spout and after a hot sticky day on the beach or a wanting a fresh shower in the morning took a bit of patience and creativity to get squeaky clean:).

Give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there isn't a lot to lose.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2011. Room was clean, small, and noisy. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was fine. The noise killed me though. Bring ear plugs. Air con is noisy but it helps drain out the noise from the street. I don't think I could recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

The noise from the road was by far the worst we’ve ever heard in a hotel room. Lorries, coaches, Collectivos, Motor bikes, singing and shouting people could be heard until 4 O’clock in the morning and sleep was not possible. Even the use of earplugs didn’t allow sleep. Finally at 4 I feel asleep totally exhausted. Due to the noise I had thought the room was road facing, but found out in the morning it was 3 rooms down from the road at the side of the hotel.
We were not expecting much after reading the reviews and for a room rate of £20 a night, inclusive of breakfast. How pleasantly surprised we were to find a clean and acceptable sized room. Several English speaking satellite TV stations, including ESPN, CNN. There was a wardrobe with plenty of hangers and sufficient space for luggage storage. There was little drawer space though with only two tiny drawers. Although there was a decent sized wardrobe with plenty of hangers. Space was sufficient for a one or two night stay, but would have been a real hassle long term sorting through your luggage for items that space didn’t allow you to unpack.
The bathroom was very clean and nicely tiled with soap and clean, although worn, towels supplied. The water was very hot as well. If you booked through an agency and want a larger quieter room like 201 or 209 and you should be able to upgrade for 10 CUC. I think I read in one review about dog noises one night in the back room, so we didn’t transfer. Although I suspect now that if a dog barked you would hear it in our room anyway. I’ve only taken about 3 sleeping tablets in my life, but I took one on our second and final night and it sorted out the noise problem. If you’re a light sleeper you may want to consider taking sleeping pills with you. The pillows were really big and thick as well.
The receptionist was friendly enough and could communicate in English. She was helpful with information about the location of places we needed to visit. Although she gave us some incorrect information, as Cubatur office advised us they only pick up at the Varadero hotels and drop off at Havana airport, not Varadero airport.
The chef who was on duty for both our breakfasts under cooked both the fried eggs and ham omelette as they were runny and uncooked in places. We both had dodgy stomachs on our return to the UK. The coffee was awful and the toast was similar to stale bread. We took QT with us and just asked for hot water on the second morning.
Viasul offer a fairly regular service to the airport at a cost of 6 CUC each. However you need to add 5 CUC to that for a taxi to the Viasul bus station around 2 kilometres away. A taxi from the hotel to the airport was 25 CUC.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NHAnorak
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed in this hotel in Dec.2010 for two nights got more than we expected for the price. nice room, bathroom and everything worked out well. The hotel is a bit old though. We also stayed in a hotel resort in Cuba which was 4star and exactly the same.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

My buddy and I stayed there for two nights recently.Nice style,clean rooms and architectual character! I mean c'mon! 20 bucks apiece with eggs for breakfast! A block from the beach! What a steal! Loved it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Islazul
Varadero

Dear Sir

VISIT TO HOTEL DOS MARES VARADERO 3-6 FEBRUARY 2010-03-17

You may remember that I visited your office on or about 16 February this year. At that time I advised you that I had been requested for a deposit of Euro 63.00 to secure a room in the Hotel Dos Mares Varadero, that the daily rate for my stay would be Euro 63.00 for a week day night and for a weekend night the sum of Euro 81.00. I attach copy emails passing between myself and the manager of the hotel relating to the transaction. These show that the manager intended to charge me for the three night stay the sum of Euro 207.00, in place of the permitted Cuban currency 150.00 for the same stay, as listed in the official Islazul price list, a copy of which you kindly gave to me.

I was told that I had to provide the details of my credit card as a security for my reservation. At the time I discussed the deposit I was told that no debit would be applied to my account unless I failed to book in on 3 February. I attach a copy of part of my Credit Card statement. From this you will see that the sum of Euro 63.00 was deducted from my credit card on 29 January, a week before the due date for my arrival. This is completely different from what I had been told on the telephone. If told that the sum would be taken immediately, I would have found another hotel to stay in.

I further told you that when I arrived at the hotel, the person at reception had no record of the e-mail reservation, but permitted my wife and I to have a room in the hotel in which we stayed for 3 nights. We paid in full for our stay in permitted Cuban currency in the sum of 150.00, as set out in the price list. You will be able to see this from the hotel records
I find that not only have I paid in cash for my room for the night of 3 February, but I have also had to pay a forfeit deposit for the same room, for the same night in an illegal amount. I demand that the sum of Euro 63.00 is credited to my credit card account immediately.

I feel that my treatment by Islazul on this matter falls below reasonable and fair treatment. I reserve the right to bring the matter to the attention of Lonely Planet Books and publish this letter on the Web if this is not dealt with fast.

J A Ricketts"

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dishonesty

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

My gf and I recently spent a few weeks travelling around Cuba. We flew into and home from Varadero and wanted to spend a couple of nights here on the way in and the way out. The town is packed full of all-inclusives so getting a cheap option isn't that easy. However, this place is very cheap for where it is - right on the beach. The rooms are basic but clean and it served our purposes very nicely. The room we stayed in on our first visit was fine but the room on the way home did smell a bit of smoke, however this was a minor problem when the cost was so low in comparison to other hotels in the same area.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple