“Not Quite a Dream...But Really Good”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Oakville, Canada
“Not Quite a Dream...But Really Good”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

With great weather and really good food, the trip was a success. The staff was welcoming and friendly, the entertainment was cheesy (at the nightly shows) but fantastic if you watch the featured artists (pianist, lounge singers).

The Arcada was a fantastic meal with a string quartet playing while you eat - it was very romantic! Least favourite was the La Robleza, but the Italian put on a great show! The staff is always trying to get you involved, but the beach was clean and very well maintained.

My only complaint was the somewhat cleanliness of the rooms..we tipped daily, but always felt kind of grimy! Walls were never wiped and the linens always felt gritty, but I know a 5 star in Cuba is very different. Didn't really like the emphasis they put on your towels (do not lose them)! But the galleria was fantastic - it has my recommendation

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Standard Room with a balcony for no extra charge - tell them you are a smoker!
4 Thank Jmatsos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Ok, this review is long overdue and Stefano, I hope when I come there in April I can say this was the best vacation I've had in 10 years like I did when I first visited MLA.

I was there Aug 2009, yes loooong overdue, and I travel solo so I was prepared to just beach myself and read. Nope!! Well, I had the choice but the atmosphere and the clientelle was so great, the books stayed, for the most part in the room.

The Good/great:

1. The resort is nicely laid out with pools and bars not too far away.
2. The buffet was good
3. The ala-cartes were great!
4. I spend many a long night in the Lobby Bar. The staff were fantastic
5. The quartet that say in the lobby and at the pool restaurant. You have to buy their CD.

The wish it was better:
1. More red wine at the lobby bar - Sorry, but me and my friends kept cleaning it out before 11PM
2. The power converters from reception... didn't work. Answer, I'll bring my own
3. The swim up bar was closed... oh well.

Sorry, not much of a late review, but say the least, I had a few choices to go to other Melia locations and I'm coming back to MLA :)

Room Tip: I wasn't in my room much, but I did have a view of the Ocean on the quite side of the resort
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank beachsunandtan
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Not disappointed at all.
You have to be opened minded in cuba when it comes to there food, its good but its plain.
There beef taste very different then ours because there cows do not eat the same as ours.
This resort was great, the staff was great.
For our 1st time in cuba this was a nice welcome.
We would go back to Melia Las Americana anytime.

Shauna & Mike
Sh Pk , Alta

Room Tip: we stayed in a suite 2 storys. I would say any suites are good locations.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shauna And mike o
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your first time down to our country

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Everyone always says "You can't expect too much from Cuba" These people obviously did not pick the right resort! About 45 mins from the airport.This resort offers fantastic food, great staff and decent enough rooms! It's adults only so very peaceful. It is big enough that it doesn't feel crowded and you're never running to reserve a spot on the beach or by the pool. You should however book your restaurants as soon as you get in. One thing to note is that even though they are "a la carte" most always they have a fixed menu. Regardless though the buffet food is so good that you're really not missing out if you can't get in to all. If you are a golfer this is the resort for you. If you bring your clubs it will only cost $33 a round (cart rental is mandatory) My boyfriend golfed twice and said it was a great course. One thing I warn. The bungalows have not been renovated. When we got there we got "upgraded" to a bungalow. I soon realized why. There are alot of older people at the resort and the bungalows are far from the main building. Some also have stairs. We heard from people staying at the main building that the rooms were much better there than the bungalows. If you're only 2 not really looking to spend too much time in your room I would not take the "upgrade" or spend the extra money. As for entertainment they have nightly shows, games on the beach, all kinds of workshops and not to mention Plaza America (mall) is right outside the resort. Overall it was a great Cuba experience. I would stay here again!!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building. don't waste your money on Jr.Suites
3 Thank V C
Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel been an adult only resort and because the special offer we have for the golfers.

Thanks for your comments about the bungalows, i just want to clarify that we have already a high percentage of the bungalows that has been renovated and it really worth to have the up grade of this type of unit because they comfort and spacious they have

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Had a great time at the resort. spaceous and clean.friendly staff everywhere. amazing food. great entertainment. I would like to comment on 2 workers that stood our beyond the rest. RENALDO at the Japanese restaurant and CHARLIE at the buffet working the grill. These two employees were friendly and helpful. the sushi was the best I've ever tasted. Watching it made in front of our eyes was a real treat. We ate there 4 out of 7 evenings and were welcomed with open arms every time. Coming to the buffet in the evening we were always given a great welcome from Charlie. The food he grilled for us was exceptional. He served us with great enthusiam and genuinely wanted to give us the best. Please let these two emplyees know that their presence was greatly appreciated. I look forward to coming back to the resort in the near future. Sandra, Theresa, Sharon and George

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sandra M
Hello

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, specially because the friendly staff you saw everywhere, as Reynaldo at the Japanese Restaurant and Charlie at the grill in the buffet.

Quesnel
Reviewed 15 February 2012

First trip to Cuba, will not be my last. Friendly people, good service and beautiful scenery. The Melia Las Americas was a treat. Good rooms, very clean and all staffwere very helpful The golf course next door was superb. Beach was fantastic. Pools very nice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bnorma1
Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, the beach and the golf course nearby

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The hotel is great for people wanting a "no young children vacation". There is a great beach with plenty of loungers and 4 pools to choose from. The buffet restaurant has a very good selection of food and the optional restaurants are very good too. AND you can try to book for all 4 restaurants as soon as you get to the resort, you don't need to go down to the Concierge every morning. The Italian and Japanese restaurants were very good but bring a camera to the meal as they are entertaining. The rooms were clean and well kept and we had no problems with the staff, who were all pleasant and helpful. The only problem we had was our pool towels were "stolen" by another guest from our loungers and we had to pay $20 as it was our fault they were stolen. We had done the usual thing - left items on them when we left to grab a lunch, when we got back the towels were gone ! So Beware of towel thieves.

5 Thank GenevieveCanada
Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel and the restaurants

Sorry to hear about your towels, this is not very common that somenthing like this happens