“Excellent”

Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our first trip to Cuba and my first time using a different resort chain. I always use RIU.

The good: The resort when compared to most that we saw, was huge. The pools are clean, and I found them extremely well taken care of. The best part of this resort its catered to "adults only" so that means no children are permitted anywhere on the resort. That means, no issues at the pool, with kids, and no screaming, crying. If you are irritated by parents who cannot control their children, then this will be a great selling feature.- I for one had a dislike; so this went over very well for me. I would like to see more resorts follow the lead on this. Its a huge market.

Buildings are in good shape, and well landscaped. Good lighting throughout. Nice decor.

Food:

There have been lots of comments on the food being; bland, and no hot sauce, ketchup etc. This is NOT true. I am very found of hot sauce; and it was not in short supply. Every-time I looked; or asked It was always provided. The same same with all other sauces, and garnishments. I found zero issues at all. The hot sauce i brought with me was not needed at any time. I will say; be ware of the station were you grill meats. I found the line up to long most times; and not worth it. I say stay clear of it. - A great selection for salads.- I was impressed on that.

The buffet: I found lots of good selections, and I was impressed with what was being offered. Remembering to have an open mind of the food: I was not disappointed at anytime durning my six day stay. I will say the hours of the buffet are not the best (7am- 10am) then nothing till 6:30PM, which means you have to try the front bar; or the pool bar which has hot dogs, hamburgers, and ham and cheese, OR the front bar with these "baguettes" which I do not ever want to see again. (they do taste good; just sick of them) Try them ; they have a good veggie grilled one.

The Al La Cartes restaurants: I really enjoyed them. Ensure you book them as soon as you check in. The Italian, was my favourite overall. The seafood; not so much. But its a great experience overall.

The service:

The service 99% was fantastic. The bar staff are here to impress, and do a good job on that. They will go totally of there way to help. Due them a favour and do not ask for ridicilious drink mixes when its busy; In the main bar they also have to serve food, and do not need to be looking up North America shot mixes. If nots busy, that is ok, but they are the most hardest working bar staff ever. The front desk was ok; sometimes not the best of service, but no real issues.

Entertainment:

Remember this is a adult hotel only; so be -aware that this resort will shut down after around 9PM. There are nightly shows; I recommend highly you try the shows. I found them well choreograph and well organized. You also get to see some great CUBA music, dance, and culture,- Highly recommend after dinner you check them out.

The beach party on Thursday was a hit. I enjoyed the music ( Vocal House) and the crowd was mid 30's. Great start to the trip. Its unfortunate, this was not a daily event. If your a young person and want to dance to vocal trance, I suggest it for sure.

Since me and my partner are mid 30's we had some issues with entertainment. Outside of what I mentioned there are no other entertainment at the resort for the younger crowd. The panio bar does not cut it.

Negatives:

Drinks are way too strong, I get that some of us, including me like a good strong GIN, but that is not the entire glass. It ruins good drinks like Mojihtos, when its pure booze. SInce this is CUBA you are to drink bottle water. The problems I ran into was our room was never ever stocked for it. One bottle for two people every two days is not acceptable. I had to ask the front desk nermerious times, to replace it. However when I asked it was done, I just had to keep doing it. Coffee was not replaced, so I started using the front bar and asking for coffee- I suggest you do that as well, or bring instant, and make your own. Not a real issue at all, just note it.

Suggestions:

Bring your own instant coffee, (Starbucks has it) Management should look into having the beach party nightly so the younger crowd has something to do at night. This resort caters to the more" older crowd" the majority of couples, and people I found it to be around mid 40;s or older. Mostly older.

There is the entire world to see, so I won't be returning, as well I do not agree with the communist society, however This is a great resort, great service, and does a great great job overall. I suggest you do the " Havana day trip and use the Varadero day bus; We got to see allot using the bus, and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Becare of the prices!!! Our room was not the best as per say; but honestly who cares, your only in t...
8 Thank Matthew_1975_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
BELGIUM
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just back from a week stay in Cuba. 3 nights Melia 1 night Havana and 3 nights Paradisus Varadero.
Very good hotel , correctly priced. Got bungalow 6157. Duplex. Didn't used the basement (living room + kitchinette) Quiet area , very near to entrance . So in 2 min walking we reached the nextdoor shopping area of Las Americas
Very clean pools , beach also ok
Buffetrestaurant a lot of choise , nicely presented . A la carte restaurants. only japanese was possible. So book these all at arrival!
Japanese was Teppanyaki but the worst I'v'e ever done. Service overthere was also on automatic pilote. No explications on what you get and how to eat it. Presume a client who doesn't know what Wasabi ( green strong Japanese mustard) is and eat this without pouring in into the soya will have a very bad experience on this meal. This 5 course meal had to be finished in one hour. A couple arriving 20 min later had it all in half an hour!
Tipping is very well appreciated. First evening at the grill of the buffetresto. Didn't had CUC with me. Excused me to the guy preparing my shrimps on the hot plate. He said Your smile Sir is more than enough! Will remember this for a long time !!
This attitude expresses most of the staff working overthere!

4 Thank PETER46Belgium
Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I know how important reviews can be and if it wasn't for tripadvisor and travellers' reviews, we might not have picked this. So it's time for me to enter my review.

This is our first time to Cuba and my first time to an all inclusive. So finding the right resort was very important. After researching and reading all the reviews for the 4-5 stars resorts we decided to go with Melia Las Americas.

Our week trip was from (April 12-18th) for 6 days and this is what i think;

Resort- The resort itself looks massive from far away compared to a lot of other smaller resorts we seen. The interior is nice, modernized decor and decent lightning.

Rooms-The room we had was on the first floor. Nothing to really rave about. Our balcony view was standard, facing the front of the resort. We didn't think the $20 pp/person was worth the money to upgrade to the oceanview

Clientele-This is an adults only resort and we're in our mid 30s. So no kids running around which is a major plus, but majority of the travellers who stayed in this resort was either
a) adults over 50-80 years old
b) a few mid 30s honeymooners

Entertainment- **Note** (This is NOT the resort for travellers who want to party or expect nightly entertainment like disco, shows, pool and beach parties.)

By sunset, this resort gets really quiet. Most of the entertainment will move inside the resort. There is a piano bar for the older crowd and a smaller bar for salsa music/live band. If you want a resort that plays lounge or dance music throughout the resort at night, this isn't the place for that.
In terms of entertainment in the morning, there seem to lack a bit of that either. They have some live cuban band playing close to the clubhouse which was pretty much it.
Majority of the time we seen travellers here just laying in the sun under the hut suntanning or reading a book. So if you're one of those people who want peace and quiet during the day and majority of the night, this is the perfect resort. We personally didn't want a party central with resort night and day with loud kids puking in every corner.
But at the same time we would of liked more activities and music during the day and especially at night. At the very least they should at least have a club or a beach party catered to others who don't want to sleep by 10pm.
Thankfully there were some water activities included in the resort (paddle boat, kayaking, windsurfing, etc. during the day and during the night there was some local show put on by the resort for 1 hour.
For those of you who want to dance, you will need to go outside of the resort for clubs.

Excursions- Thankfully we booked a day trip out to Havana which was the major highlight of our trip even though you might not have enough time to stay to see what you want to see. But you get an overview of the old town, other historical buildings and flee markets which is highly recommended. Plus after 2 days of baking in the sun and laying there in what we thought was a library on the beach, we definitely had to have a break outside of the resort.

We also spent another day touring Varadero on our own by taking the 5CUC double decker bus ride. This will take you all around Varadeao where you can get on and off all day to see the local vendors and all the other resorts in Varadero

Service- Friendly service in the cascada cafe bar from the ladies. The maids were very nice. I definitely can say the service was great throughout the resort whether you tip or not.

Food- The Food was better than what i thought, buffet was standard. But the la carte restaurants were pretty good. Especially the italian restaurant.
They had 4 la carte restaurants available for booking (international, japanese, italian and seafood. We were limited to 3 bookings at Maximum and the restaurant we wanted to try (which was the international) was all booked up throughout the whole week.
**Tip**- suggest you book all your la carte restaurants once you arrive. usually all the la cartes are booked for the weekends.

A lot of reviewers mentioned about the food tasting bland and no hot sauce or ketchup was available. This was NOT true at all for this resort. They had ketchup available in the buffet and throughout the la carte restaurants. We brought our own spices and didn't even have to use it once. Though i found the meat pretty overcooked for the most part whether it's chicken, pork chop, beef, you name it. Between 4-7pm, it's pretty hard finding food in this resort. It's either hamburgers, hotdogs at the beach bar or Veggie/chicken baguettes at the Bar ( when you're hungry and there's no food around, it's baguettes for you). I don't think i ever want order anything associated with the word "baguette" in it again...

Drinks- we didn't have any issue with waterdowned drinks, but instead it was the opposite. We had mojitos and rum/cokes were filled with half rum and half coke which became sickening after awhile. So if you're not a heavy drinker, tell them to go easy on the rum...

Overall, if you want a clean, modern-looking, quiet adults 45 and over only resort, this will be the perfect place to stay. We certainly did not regret our choice in this resort, the only negative feedback i would say is the lack of entertainment in this resort. Be warned, this resort can be a bit dry by the 4h day if you don't have activities or excursions outside of the resort

Something i should quote from one of the local hotel bellboys when we asked him where there is a place to dance on a SATURDAY night,
he said " oh no, by 9pm all the people are asleep here sir"

We had an amazing time in Beautiful, yet quiet Melia Las Americas, but will we come back to this resort? Highly undoubtful..

So have fun and make the best out of your trip, and try to book a few excursions if your stay is between 6-7 days in this resort so you can experience more of the culture outside of Varadero.

Room Tip: unless you book the ocean view, or presidental suites for extra charge, don't expect too much fo...
3 Thank oakleys03
vancouver
Reviewed 20 April 2012

this was our 4th time at this resort - last year we did our honeymoon.....this year very different...staff excellent as always ( by the way never have any put out their hand for a tip!) but Managment this time seemed to not care at all about the people that come to their hotel. Not one time did I see any of them stop and ask how our stay is, was there anything they could do...etc...AND they know who we are. I see all these thank you's from the General Manager written here, but it would be nice to hear it in person, because how do we really know this is Stefeno talking and not Ana Rosa, like he went through her to offer us a dinner on the beach, instead of being classy GM and approachng us himself., to make that offer. the dinner was declined. He walked right by me - he knows me and my hubby - not even a nod hello? his eyes shifted away from me. Lastly, everyone else, all the staff is amazing, maids, bartenders, gardeners, theater staff and chefs, and my fav Jose, thanks for the snorkling...and no one ever ask for money - not ever! the food was good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank always_on_a_vacation
Edmonton
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is the second time my husband and I have been to this resort (the first time was our honeymoon in 2009). We arrived in Varadero at 5:30 in the evening and had to exchange our Canadian dollars into Convertible Pesos (CUC) at the airport (you are now required to show your passport everytime you exchange money). We took a cab to the resort which was $35 including tip. Our check-in was quick, friendly and efficient. Our suite was absolutely gorgeous, the beach was beautiful and the food was marvelous! We ate at the Japanese restaurant where the food is prepared at a grill (Japanese Village style) and the food was hot and very delicious! On the beach they had a few kiosks set up that sell souvenirs such as magnets, jewellry, etc. There is also a mall within walking distance where you can buy clothing and there is also a grocery store too. The nice thing about Cuba is that you are not constantly bothered by people selling things on the beach. There was one lady on the beach that was selling hats and beach bags of which I despartely needed both and purchased the hat for $7 and the bag for $5--what a deal! The Varadero Golf Course is also right next door to the resort and if you have golf included in your package you are still required to pay for the golf cart, which is $55 per person. The course is beautiful and well-maintained. The entertainment consisted of a show every night at 9:30 and there was also music in the lobby every night as well. The staff was friendly and accommodating and we will definitely return for another stay!

1 Thank goodtimes05
Ottawa
Reviewed 17 April 2012

To celebrate my recent retirement, my husband and I booked a one week vacation to the Melia Las Americas (January 28 to February 4, 2012). It was our third trip to this resort and our 8th trip to Cuba. We enjoyed the resport so much in May, 2011 that we decided to return. Again, we were not disappointed.

Accommodations: We stayed in a bungalow twice. They're very spacious and very nice. In January, 2012, we were in a deluxe oceanview suite. There was a large living room with two sofas, an entertainment area, a dining area, large flat screen TV and windows spanning the width of the room with a fantastic view of the beach. The bedroom had a king size bed, flat screen TV and lots of space for clothes. The suite had a full size bathroom and a half bathroom in the hallway. Of all the many resorts that my husband and I have travelled to,it was the best accomodation so far.

Food: Absolutely no complaints about the food. I judge a resort's food by what my husband eats, If he eats alot of pasta and hamburgers, it menas the food is below average. During our stay at the Melia Las Americas, he did not go to the [asta bar and he had one hamburger in the main dining room.

My favourite a la carte restaurant was the Japanese. The Italian, Gourmet and Seafood restuarants were all every good.

The main dining room is buffet style with many choices at breakfast, lunch or dinner. There's a variety of fresh vegetables, fruit, cheese and breads. I liked the omelette station at breakfast. Had roast chicken and clamari at lunch. Both delicious.

If you need a snack late at night, you can grab a sandwich, hamburger or fries at the 24 hour bar in the lobby.

Staff: Our maid Maria Del Carmen was excelllent. She always had a smile on her face. I made sure I gave her a tip every day. Jose, Mercy and I don't remember the others who served us at the maining dining room were very pleasant and did their jobs well. Nuivis (not sure of the spelling) was our waitress at the Japanese and Italian restaurant. She also was very pleasant and a very good waitress. Anabelle took care of the guests at the main pool with her drink cart. She also served us fruit skwers before lunch. Once again, she offered great service with a smile wether guests gave her a tip or not.

Beach: I'm not a fan of sand so I prefer to lounge by the swimming pool. The beach is much nicer where the Melia is located. I've been to a resort closer to the end of the peninsula and the beach was coarse.

Locatiion: The resort is close to the Plaza Americas. It's just a 10 minute walk. You can take a double decker bus to the town of Varadero from the plaza. Cost is 5 pesos and it allows you to travel along the entire peninsula to Varadero from 9 a.m. to 9p.m.

Repeaters/Golf Dinner: We attended a special dinner for repeat guests and for participants inthe Managers' Golf Tournament. The dinner was held in the Seafood restaurant which was closed that evening for other hotel guests. The buffet was beautiful and the Cuban cuisine very tasty. We were entertained by singers, dancers, musicians and a comedian. To make us feel really special, the Sales Manager, General Manager and Entertainment Manager hosted the dinner.

My husband and I want to extend a very big thank you to Reynaldo for taking such good care of us.

For my husband's birthday and our 26th wedding anniversary in October, we are planning to return to the Melia Las Americas.

Note: If my husband was writing this review, there would be more details on the golf course. All I can say is, if he was travelling solo, every day would be a golf day.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow close to the main building.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mae-Ling P
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Thank you to all managers especially Reynaldo Leon and Giovanni. We had wonderful stay. Our bungalow suite was spacious and spotless; the staff is very friendly, helpful and fantastic. Wonderful job on the recently renovated main swimming pool (there are four pools). As for the entertainment, there are nightly theatre shows and piano bar, weekly fashion show and daily beach activities. You will also see a magician greeting guests and performing magical tricks.

The food is tasty and the house wine is good. There are four a la carte restaurants, a buffet restaurant (for breakfast, lunch and dinner a cook grills fresh meat, omelettes, spaghetti, etc). DO NOT MISS THE IL LIMONCELLO, Italian restaurant. It's a 7 course meal and wonderful. The LA ARCADA, International restaurant, is also fantastic serving several choices (lobster, stuffed chicken, filet mignon, ravioli, etc.) If you really enjoy seafood try LA ROBLEZA (seafood) and the SAKURA, Japanese restaurants. Lunch at the LA ROBLEZA is something else. Don't miss it. There is also two beach bar grills. Try the Cuban hamburger, you won't regret it (hamburg, cheese, ham and bacon).

We had several rounds of golf, five minute walk from the hotel. The oceanview from the 8th hole is breathtaking. The course, this year, was very dry (not enough rain) but is challenging.

Sunshine and hot temperature throughout our two week stay of 34 degrees with ligth rain overnight or early mornings, Varadero experienced a severe thunderstorm with hail one night.

In for some shopping - you will find a huge plaza next to the hotel. You can also hop on a double decker bus (5.00 CUC for a day pass) and shop in Varadero. There are several flea markets.

Varadero is a safe place, clean and very friendly. It's a perfect place for a holiday.

Room Tip: Bungalow suites situated at the other end of the hotel complex. Very roomy and spacious (5 minute w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple