“fantastic, will definitally go back.”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 30 May 2012

visited melia las americas may 20-27.
quick check-in, super oceanview room 4th floor.
service in all areas was great.
ate at 2 of the a la cartes, gourmet-fantastic. italian(tasters menu)-very good with oceanview balcony. buffet for breakfast was very good. for lunch and supper was fantastic(had salmon steaks almost daily) although everyhting else was tasty as well.
there is also a lunch a la carte(where the sea food a la carte is at night) forget the name where they serve the best roast chicken my wife and i ever ate.
fantastic service from julia, our chambermaid. who kept everything clean and left us some super towel art.
my wife tried raoul's special mohitos and got hooked on them. he's at the bar by the italian restaurant.
read many reviews about las americas and can't understand the negetive ones. i understand that the steak may be a bit tough but there are so many other choices. about people complaning about cold food. the only cold food i found were the cold cuts and french fries. one important note. the bacon is not very well cooked but give it to the egg guy and he'll cook it for you.
don't listen to the negative reviews and book your trip. you will not be disapointed.( i am a very fussy eater).
will be back next year.

beach is beautifull, water is super clear, no big waves. palapas are plentyfull. no rush to get one. we went after breakfast at 8:30.

Room Tip: if you want good ocean view ask for the3rd or 4th floor as the palm trees are higher than the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LOUIS M
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Hello:

We are very happy that you enjoyed our restaurants, food and specially the service from Julia, and Raúl´s mojitos,

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Just an average hotel. Don't expect much and you wont be disappointed. Hotel is clean but outdated. Melia chain of hotels in Cuba need a major face-lift.
Food is average. Swimming pool and beach area are OK. I wouldn't give it any more than 2 stars.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Toishome

Hello

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoyed your stay hear with us, most of our clients enjoy the hotel because its special location which is right next to the beautiful beach its facilities in general and the kindness service of our staff.

We would liked to know about your dissatisfaction while you were in our hotel, this way we would help to make your holidays really pleasant

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Melia Las Americas in the future when we will do our utmost to ensure that you have a very enjoyable stay.

Regards

Melia Las Americas
Varadero, Cuba

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Its Cuba so I never expect much from the hotels, but the staff always make the difference this is no different here. Food was ok for an all inclusive nothing over the top but all edible with reasonable taste. The pool was clean however in need of Maintence the lights were not In place tiles were missing in a few places
Also a short walk from the shopping area the bridge was falling apart and up passable. They did have a sign saying do not enter I was just checking the place out not good if you have kids wondering around unattended Beach was nice and clean many chairs and there were places In the shade. The beauty of the water is amazing Entertainment if that is your thing was ok, just remember this is not Vegas you didn't pay 60 bucks per person and the staff that put on the show have been there all day so it is decent.
Gym was ok nothing fancy, but go for an awesome walk on the long beach instead.
As it was a only a 3 night holiday did not do the a la cartes so not input here, I would have to say that this hotel is closer to a 3+ not quite a 4+ as indicated in many travel brochures

Room Tip: Higher floors ocean view for sure
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank oakvilleadvisor
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I returned to the Melia Las Americas for two weeks from the 13th April. Obviously I must like the hotel to keep returning! We arrived at about 3am from Nova Scotia. We had booked a sea view room as we feel it is worth the extra money. The first room we were offered was not suitable as it didn't have a balcony and as we enjoy sitting on the balcony looking at the sea I immediately went back to the reception and asked for another room. I was offered at least two alernatives and as I am familiar with the hotel layout I chose one on the third floor (the same area as I have had in the past years). The bell boy turned up immediately to help transfer our bags without being asked.

The staff are wonderful, especially Mary and Dany in the restaurant and the two sweet girls at the Internet station. The staff in the all day restaurant in the lobby couldn't be more helpful. The three men who help clean the beach chairs were always very friendly and helpful and it amazed me how many people didn't bother to tip them even though they had found them nice seats in the shade! We noticed that people ARE NOT looking for tips. It is nice to tip for good service which is what I do in Canada and Europe.

The only reason why I have not given a rating of Excellent this year is because I felt the quality of the food has fallen. This comment was made by other repeat guests when we met them all for the special Cuban dinner on the Wednesday of our first week. The biggest disappointment was the Italian restaurant Il Limoncello. When we first went to the Melia the Italian restaurant was by far the best with fantastic pizzas served at lunch time. Everyone raved about them!! They stopped the lunch time service last year but at least the dinner was still good. This year the dinner was awful - a set meal and everyone commented how disappointed they were with the quality. I would have walked out and gone to the buffet but felt it would be rude to the staff who were serving us! Again, people left without tipping which wasn't fair to the staff who were not responsible for the awful food! I also noticed that they hadn't changed their selection this year in the buffet or the International restaurant so it got a bit boring. Other return guests were commenting on the food and how much better it was in past years. This is a pity as they want to reattract past visitors so they need to keep the standards up. In fact I am not going to return to the Melia next year because of the food even though I love the staff and the beach.

Room Tip: Do not take a room at the front of the hotel over the entrance of the hotel as the buses idle and yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Lucinda03
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Just got back on May 23rd and already missing the place. It is a beautifully clean and well maintained property with an amazing beach. Our room had a fantastic view of the beach and the main swimming pool with the large jacuzzi. The sand is soft and white and the water truly is that blue. I came for a relaxing vacation and I wasn't disappointed. You could do as much or as little as you want. The staff are what made this trip memorable. Everyone greets you with a smile and a friendly "Ola". From the moment you are met by the bellboy at your check in, to the time you spend on the resort in various areas of the resort, you are given courteous and friendly attention. Not to omit anyone, but some of the memorable staff include;
* Mary in the buffet restaurant was so efficient and friendly; anything we needed, she was there
* Pijin the bellboy was a wealth of information, and extremely helpful
* Yania, our chambermaid, kept our room SPOTLESS and greeted us in the morning with a wonderful smile
* Beily, the bartender was a joy and knew how to keep me happy (with my Baileys)
* Sam and Elia of the entertainment group were a hilarious duo and they are in the right line of work
* Anita of the entertainment group is AMAZING when it comes to customer service -- it was great how she greets the guests with genuine warmth and always with an engaging smile and enthusiasm
* Zahily is fantastic beyond words, and makes you feel like family.

The staff at the resort are the 'icing on the cake' -- they make the trip not just a vacation, but a memorable experience that you can't wait to repeat.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rashmi K

Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, the beach and specially the friendly staff as the one provided by Pijin, Yania, Beily, Sam and Elia, Anita and Zahily.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Just got back from Melia Las Americas May 23 and I have to say if your looking for a great place to vacation this is it. The staff alone made this trip amazing. The entertainers Julio and Emi were truly wonderful and the lobby bar staff Leslie, Yusi and Emillio were so welcoming and awesome that I feel I have made new friends that I can't wait to go back to visit.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I hope that their employers know how special these people are!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChristineKitchener

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, specially because Julio, Emi, Leslie, Yusi and Emillio

Thanks for recommend our hotel among your friends

Looking forward to see you down here soon

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We were married on May 17th at 4:00 in the gazebo. There were 17 people in our party. It was beautiful. Special note to anyone considering getting married in Cuba. You need to write your own vows. It is not the same as canada. There is no repeat after me. So that made for an awkward moment. \
Most of the staff were exceptional. They upgraded our room to a suite that was enormous with a king size bed. Very nice gesture. Our personal favourites were Raul (best bartender ever! located at the bar by the theatre) He even gave me the secret recipe for his mojito's. Nobody makes them like he does. Frankie, Anita and Sam are fantastic entertainment staff. They went out of their way to make sure that we had fun. Odalys was the housekeeper for 3 of our rooms, she went out of her way for us many times.
Over all the resort is stunning, It is very well kept and maintained. On our bus ride back to the airport we had to stop at many hotels along the way. I can sincerely say that Melia Las americas is the most beautiful, all of the others just look run down in comparison.
It was well worth the money and we hope to visit again for our first year anniversary.

Room Tip: Corner suites are full of light, 3/4 of the room is all windows floor to ceiling. They do not have p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Hello

We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel while you celebrated this special moment

Looking forward to see you here celebrating your first anniversary

Regards