6,131 results
All reviews bernard meyer la arcada il limoncello the general manager ana rosa cascada bar bungalow pool lobby bar tee times string quartet a la carte restaurants international restaurant fish dupont mansion ocean view special thanks beautiful beach
Reviewed April 4, 2018

This hotel should be Varadero number 1 !!!

My husband and I went for a 2 week holiday. We had to change hotels and came to Melia for the week that remained. Our experience was wonderful (with a glass of champagne) from the moment we registered.

While Melia is an older hotel, they continue to upgrade and renovate. It was clean, comfortable and spacious. Hot water was always available. They have a service manager that continually goes around to make sure everything is going accordingly and that everyone is satisfied.

The food was OUTSTANDING! Every day was a wonderful experience with staff and food. Congratulations to the Chef "Gennaro SALVATO"! Cuba is not known for great food, but the presentation and taste of all the dishes was amazing! Well done! I cannot express enough our satisfaction.

The staff were there to provide any assistance. One said - "you are on holiday, we are here to serve you". Compared to the other hotels, the staff here are all very good!!

The evening entertainment in the lobby with fantastic musical artists was also phenomenal! Violinist, piano, singers. Again well done!

This is a golf resort that is spread out, so expect to have to walk a bit to go from one end to the other and take the stairs once in awhile. If I could make two suggestions: have larger TVs in the room and to have at least one heated pool, it would make it a perfect place. Thank you Melia for salvaging our holiday!

Room Tip: All rooms are fine and have patios. I'm sure if you want to change rooms, they would accommodate.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
jefeventasmla, Director of Sales at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Celine B,
We are so happy to know that you enjoyed a very pleasant stay at Meliá Las Américas! Thank you very much for sharing your experience as a guest and we are pleased that you truly enjoyed all our facilities & services, specially the professionalism and friendliness of our staff. Thank you for your high recommendation of our resort and hopefully we will welcome you back anytime soon.
Best regards from Varadero

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I had an amazing time at this resort. Beautiful resort and beautiful beach. I love beach volleyball and particularly would like to give a thank you and shout out to Jose. He made my vacation! Everyday I was hoping to play some beach volleyball in the morning, sometimes no one would show up, so Jose would come out and play a modified game of one on one with me. I’ve played volleyball at many resorts and they often have people in charge who don’t know how to play and don’t know the rules. I was impressed that they had someone there who was a really good player. He not only kept me entertained, but helped me bring up the level of my volleyball game. Thank you so much Jose! All the staff were great. I left this place feeling like my family had grown. I’ll definitely be back to play beach volleyball with Jose.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear Carol C,
Thank you very much for your review and for choosing our resort to enjoy your first vacation in Cuba. Here at Meliá Las Américas we work our hardest to provide our guests with top notch service, so we are pleased to hear that we accomplished this goal during your vacations here. We are glad to see that you enjoyed the facilities & services of the resort, specially the friendliness and professionalism of our staff. We look forward to welcome you back in the future and providing you with another great holiday experience.
Best regards from Varadero

Reviewed April 3, 2018

It was cold outside considering it was December. There was no hot water in this 'five star's resort and no one was bothered. We had better service at a casa. Slippers were not in the room just old gowns. We asked for slippers and it took two days to get one pair.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear natashayadave,
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations and for this we sincerely apologize. We can guarantee you that such service inconsistencies are not regular and we will certainly pass on your feedback to the relevant Departments for their immediate evaluation and action as needed. We appreciate your bringing these matters to our attention. Once again we honestly apologize for the inconveniences you had during your holiday and we are convinced that we will change your perception of our resort if you give us another opportunity in the future. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for a new stay that will surpass your expectations.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Pros
Loved the white sandy beaches and the large expanse of real estate along the waterfront for the hotel.
Safe to walk on beach at night for us. Can't do that many places in the Caribbean!
Great Foyer/lobby with nice couches and two lounges on either side.
Amazing Guest entertainers - a trio of ladies classically trained that sang songs from many genres. Another night there were opera singers in the lobby! Great acoustics.
Many choices at the buffet. I had low expectations and I think we did well but clearly you have to pay top dollar for decent food.
(Tip: Safe to eat anything, just make sure the cook it long enough.)
Great speciality restaurants: Japanese was fun and the two Mediterranean we're delicious (tip: ask the waiter which one they'd recommend on the menu)
Cappuccinos at both foyer bars and the best located at outdoor restaurant by the pool. The staff at this bar were the best. Names escaping me!!!
Four pools
Beer- Buckaneer was really good but Cristal was great. Draft beer is good too.
Beach BBQ party was a great event and live bands played.
Activities could be easily avoided. The other hotel down the beach set up their big event in the middle of the resort.
Loud noise ended at 11pm! Very cool.
Cats! One had a kitten and hey both were very aloof. They didn't bother anyone. Even when we tried. They looked like they were good mousers.
Windy days kept the mosquitoes at bay!

Cons
Don't expect a lot of Cuban music. They catered to baby boomers. Good for them, they played Elvis/Beetles/La Bamba!!!!. I was left wanting traditional music because Cuba is kind of known for that....Anyone born in the 60's and younger was excited when they played authentic Cuban.
Our room was above one of the lounge bars La Arcada and the chairs dragging in the am when the golfers were getting breakfast. It was difficult to avoid with earplugs. We just lived with it. My other friends had a room facing the golf course on the same wing and it was perfect!
Not enough deck chairs at the pool or the beach. If it was light wind, people packed the beach. If it was super windy, most of the time, the deck chairs would be gone.
The four pools are two but separated with a wall, kind of cool. But the deck chairs by that pool by the bungalows were taken by the residents there AND they'd hogged the cabana beds as well, each couple had two areas. *** reminds me that I'm not a lover of All-inclusive resorts***
Over all, meh. Not coming back to Cuba. Not value for cost benefits.
I recommend flying in to Havana and stay a few nights, then fly to the town of Trinidad and stay a few nights. Then home. We heard Trinidad is so nice and relaxed.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Loraborasambora
jefeventasmla, Director of Sales at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2018

Dear Loraborasambora,
Thank you so much for reporting your valuable and detailed comments on Trip Advisor about your past vacation at Meliá Las Américas. We appreciate your positive comments about our food selection and night entertainment. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve, as we depend on them to continue with our everyday efforts to satisfy our many visitors from all over the world. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. We would be very pleased to have another opportunity to have you as a guest in the future to ensure you will have an improved experience.
Sincerely.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

My initial review of this hotel (on day 1) would have been much worse, but in the end, many things compensated for the first, and not so great, impression. My friend and I booked a room with a sea view at this hotel, based on the good reviews and the beautiful pictures posted on the hotel homepage and tripadvisor.
When we first checked in around 3.30 PM our room still wasn't ready. While waiting, we went for lunch at a somewhat mediocre barbecue restaurant (La Robleza) where the food was cold, tasteless and dry. Our room was finally ready around 4.30 PM and upon entering the room we couldn't believe our eyes. The room was in a corner, dark, with partial sea view, without a balcony. It was only possible to open one side of the window. The amenities in the bathroom and the room itself were old, shabby and partially broken. The bathtub was significantly scratched and appeared dirty.
We immediately went down to the reception to complain and were told that we could get another room, but only the next day. So we had to spend one night in that room. Interestingly, the list of people wanting to change rooms was quite long, which indicates that this hotel really needs to be renovated soon. I assume this hasn't been done since the opening.
Anyway, the following day we got another room with a balcony and a beautiful view of the ocean and the golf court. The room had the same furniture as the previous one, but in a much better condition. From then on, our impression of the hotel improved, not only because of the room, but many other details. For example: the beach was amazing, it had sufficient number of sunbeds, great offering of activities and wonderful music (including live musing every week day). The staff was very friendly and the drinks of high quality (e.g. Havana Club 7 years was for free), which is unusual for an all-inclusive hotel. The entertainment team was very professional, and so was the entertainment program. We especially liked that everything was so central and the gathering point was in the lobby, which was always very busy and had a lot going on every evening. The food was overall good, with the highlight in the Japanese restaurant Sakura and the grill at the buffet restaurant. I would still recommend to go out to dinner somewhere else, for example Salsa Suarez in Varadero, which was an amazing experience.
Another positive thing to mention was the additional offer in bars / restaurants which was charged, but certainly a good thing to have if you prefer high quality ( e.g. one could order Dom Perignon, or some other good champagnes and wines) which is also unusual at all-inclusive hotels. The staff was generally very friendly although the receptionists could be a bit friendlier.
All in all, we had a great time and would probably stay at this hotel again, provided we get a decent room :)

Room Tip: Left side of the hotel offers better views
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Annya_10
jefeventasmla, Director of Sales at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Dear Annya_10,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are pleased that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the good and not so good comments and your observations are of a great value to us so that we may persist on our efforts to have more satisfied and happy clients each day. We look forward to welcome you back soon for a new vacation with us.
With our best greetings