“Very nice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Oasis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Oasis
Ranked #60 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Regina
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2009

All together the other reviews tell the story.
The food is different than Canada.
Answer is to eat the food you like and leave the rest.
My compliments to the baker - the dinner rolls and cookies were great every day.
Spagetti was fine as was the chicken and fish stick things.
Chicken was pretty good too but I thought the beef dishes tasted a bit off - my friend gobbled them up though so it all depends on your own taste.
Salad and fruit were good too.
Eggs were fine for breakfast and hard boiled could be stashed away for evening or excursions - find a container if you are putting them in your pocket!
Filtered water was available from the machine to drink with your meals and to fill your water bottle for the day.
The free bar offerd rum and has beer and cola and fanta orange unlimited.
The A la Carte restaurant has a great fish dish in lemon sauce.
Book a meal there for sure!
Staff were really great - count on a language barrier - esp on the night shift.
Go on the snorkel trip from the beach - David is a great guide for a day trip and probably any one else would be too.
The bus comes every day for 5 pesos you ride all day downtown and back - check the times with your tour person or the front desk.
Check with the tour person for excusions as well as the cuba tour person in the lobby.
Plan on not golfing for $150 a loop - the course is nice but not special.
Learn all the spanish you can and print out common phrases for your pocket.
Go to the caves.
Roller blades were great to have downtown but its 10 km to get there.
5 - 8 pesos in the cab - have the front desk call the cab so you get an honest meter.
Walk over the the little store 50 yards from the door and to the restaurante just past the tennis courts.
Pizza at the MArina or downtown at the mall.
I could go on and on and I could go back again right away if I could another last minute deal.
Espero le gusta Veradero.

• Liked — Smaller, older and friendly feel and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Language barrier
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank Stuarti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

You definitely get what you pay for! People should not expect a 4 star experience cause you are not paying for a 4 star experience.

This hotel is very basic but has a more "homey" feel than the larger hotels in Varadero.

Room - It is VERY IMPORTANT that you get a room in the main building of the hotel! When we first checked in, they gave us a room on the bottom floor in the other building. The room was big, that is about the only positive thing to say about it. It was worn-down but pretty clean. The shower was not as clean and only had a hand shower and absolutely no hot water. After our third coakroach incident, we insisted for another room. We had requested another room for 2 days but we usually got the typical "try tomorrow" answer. Thankfully our tour operator representative from TMR stepped in and we finally got another room in the main building. The room was much better and pretty much what we had expected in the first place: basic, clean, no cockroaches and hot water.

Food / Drinks - I had stayed in a 3.5 star hotel last time I came to Cuba and I thought the best thing was the grilled cheese sandwiches and anything that was cooked on the grill. In a 2 star hotel, we pretty much had the same experience. There was less choices but when the choices aren't so hot in the first place, you don't really feel like you're missing out. They varied the buffet slightly and there was usually something edible that would fill you up. The New Years eve buffet had much more choice which was nice. The a la carte restaurant was slightly better than buffet.

The open bar is only open until about 10PM but cash bar in lobby has cheap drinks.

Service - Overall the staff is pretty friendly and nice. However, when you do have problems, they give you the typical cuban response of "tomorrow"...everything will be fixed not now but later. Just be persistent, talk to various people (preferably those that speak Spanish or work there) and you will eventually get what you need.

Location - The hotel is located at the beginning of the peninsula but right on the beach. It's probably not the nicest beach in Varadero, it does have some washed up seaweed and shells but for me, a beach is still a beach! It is a bit outside the town but for a quick cab ride (ranging from 5 to 10 CUC) you can get to town. There is also a bus (5 CUC, usable all day) or you can also walk which is what we did during the day (about 30-40 mins to get to town).

Overall I would say the hotel was fine. After the initial problems were resolved, the rest of the stay was ok. I normally am not a big spender when it comes to accommodations so those who are picky or expect luxury, this is not the place for you. We saved $300 per person to stay at a 2 star over a 3 star and I still think we made the right decision because that money was used to visit Havana, ride on seadoos, buy souvenirs and actually visit Cuba.

I would only recommend this hotel to friends who are used to basic accomodations and / or are used to considering a hotel just a place to sleep / wash up.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cockroaches (only at beginning of stay), Food ("well it doesn't taste BAD")
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Leezard_9
San José, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

I went from 26 dic -30 dic with my my girldfriend and her sisters, the rooms were ok, nice beach, but the food is very bad even so they have barbecue chicken which probably was the best and worst between food they only gave you or a sandwich or a "hamburger" which is some bread with some kind of chicken meet thats all no sauces or tomate or lettuce. I lost my swiss knive in the room but theres a safe box to be use by guests...

2 Thank Pradex

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Cheltenham England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

2* Cuban hotel on very outskirts of Varadero (almost under the Varadero sign between the road and the ocean).
I returned yesterday from a week in a 5* hotel in Varadero, which although maybe originally better, in 2008 is not any better than this 2*.
This hotel is in the same under-maintained state, and though the Oasis grounds are not beautiful, your room can virtually open onto the beach.
Varadero is a little tired and run-down across the board, at Oasis most of the staff make a real effort, and at least you are not paying for luxury you don't get.
The food is ok but sometimes you have to be quick to get it. The room and bathroom are adequate, and not dirty, our room had new aircon (no remote)with a big hole in the wall to the left where prev aircon unit was bigger. The lobby and decor was tired, and the free bar demanded that you queue, no more than 3 or 4 people though, and no free drinks after 10.30. The cash bar open 24hrs was cheap anyway. Hire a moped for Varadero, - not available from this hotel -we got ours from outside Solymar (5* hotel at other end of Varadero) where they accepted passport (forgot my licence). Held hands, walked on beach, walked to town. Fabulous. And all cheap as chips. If you want the skinny on the other hotels please email me.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Mosquitos (is Cuba)
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank MaryinCuba
nova scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

dont be scared that its a 2 star..i stayed there a week and had a great time. the staff are wonderful..My room was #10 and it was 5 second walk to the beach. Newer holtels are build back from the beach. This one is right on the beach.There was always lots of food ,something for everyone. The beer was cold and the rum was plentyful. I didnt have alot of water presure but who cares,sometimes there wasnt much hot water but no big deal.Most of the guest are from cuba they get to stay there as gifts from the goverment for doing well at their jobs. Cuban people are the best in the world ,always happy and never stressed. Talk with them they are so great if you try to get to know them. The holtel is the futherest one from the downtown and the other holtels.There is a free bus downtown twice a day and a cab is like 5 bucks.If you wanna see the real Cuba take a cab into Cardenas its a city about 12 km from the resort. Most of the workers live in that city .There is about 100000 people there and its a safe city.No problem walking around and shopping for real bargins.I needed a desposable camara and in varadaro its was 24 peso i waited and bought the same one in Cardenas for 4 peso. Cuba is wonerful the holtel was great for the money and when i go back in november im going here again. good luck

• Liked — price people
  • Disliked — that i had to leave
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank chevyns
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

My sister and I just returned from a 14 day stay at Islazul and we had a great time, I didn't expect much for a 2 star hotel. The food was ok.. sometimes it was limited but I sort of expected that for Cuba and I never starved when I was there. We where offered when we got there a 1st floor room or second, we chose the second floor and had a nice balcony with a view of the ocean as well. The staff where amazing all extremely friendly and our room was always clean.
The price was right when we went, and our time was relaxing being my first time to Cuba, I simply loved it. The best place that I found for Mojito's was at our hotel they are the best!!!!!...

Kim
Renfrew On Canada

• Liked — The Staff they where amazing so friendly and room was always clean
  • Disliked — The fact that there was no snack bar open from 9pm till 7:30 am.. Its a long time to go with nothing to eat.
  • Stayed February 2008
5 Thank Scalleywag
port stanley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2008

I was apprehensive after reading the reviews and I must say that I was shocked to find them totally misleading. We checked in and were given the choice of the 1st room or another if it wasn't to our satisfaction. The room was always clean and we had 4 clean towels each morning.
The staff was nice and always helpful. While the breakfasts were great- lunch and dinner were pretty bland. On our way home we found that this was the opinion of others staying at higher priced resorts.
It is a short cab ride (5 pesos) from town but could be walked in about 45 min if you wanted some exercise.
We look forward to returning next year.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the food - but then nobody goes to Cuba for the food
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank lindy782
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
1989.2 km away
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 63 in Varadero
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,108 reviews

Been to Hotel Oasis? Share your experiences!