“Review from a Miramichi'r (NB)”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
“Review from a Miramichi'r (NB)”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Vacationed at this resort from April 10-17, 2012. This is my second trip to Varedero. I found this resort to be clean, with many pools, a beautiful beach with plenty of chaises available (no need to reserve one). The staff at the spa and hair salon were wonderful and very professional. The Lobby Bar staff were expedient and friendly. Arianna served wonderful Tequila Shots!!!! and the Best Spanish Coffee. This is a large facility and prone to the hazards of many guests. Book your A-la-Carte Reservations prior to arriving at the Hotel, get confirmation by email, as we were only able to book 2 a-la cartes reservations at the hotel. The restaurants were booked and we had limited availability. Bring facecloths, there seems to be a shortage of these. Bring your own Beach Towel as the daily availability is limited. There seems to be an issue with laundry service as fresh towels were not readily aviliable. The Japanese and Steakhouse/Seafood a la cartes were wonderful ! (the only 2 reservations we could get). There was a large selection at the Buffet and something for every palate - no issue here. If you enjoy morning coffee - do not get it at the Buffet as it is very bad,bad,bad. As I mentionned earlier the Lobby Bar has the best coffees. The pianist and musicians in the Lounge were great!!!. The nightly entertainment was very good as was the disco. The food is typical cuban fare, the pork is amazing as is the fish, lots of veggies to choose from and salad fixings too, The Best however are the breads and rolls, they are absolutely divine!!!! (I am not a typical bread eater). The house white and red wines are mediocre. The ice cream bar was definitely a bonus at this resort as was the cigar lounge.

Room Tip: This was a couples vacation, make sure you get a room for 2, not 2 single beds.
3 Thank Linda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Beiseker
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We found the resort very clean, well laid-out and beautiful. The staff were all friendly and hardworking. This was a first trip to Cuba and would definetly go back. We had great service in all the bars/restaurants, front desk and housekeeping. We had read about the food in Cuba, but didn't experience anything terrible. We thought the resort offered a wide selection at the buffet and we had wonderful experiences at the 2 a la carte restaurants we dined at. Off the resort in Varadero, the food was good - just different than home. We had a steak and chicken dinner in Varadero with beers and the total came to 10.75 convertible peco's - how can one go wrong with $1.50 beer? My only complaint was our room had low water pressure and air conditioning didn't work to par, but we were comfortable and appreciated our surrounding’s.

Room Tip: Building 10 was away from the disco & theatre bar and very quiet.
4 Thank B_U_M_S_2
toronto
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The place was great. We were in the 5star adult only part of the hotel and it was classy and spectacular. They mixed up our rooms since we were a group of 11 people but they upgraded us the VIP wristband and we had access to every bar at this huge resort. The rooms were beautiful, Jacuzzi, view of the pool. Gorgeous and clean. The food was decent too. I am a vegetarian so I did find food at all the buffets and a la carts.but my friends did love all the 5 different a la carts they had to offer. A lot of selection and really nice and friendly staff.
- Had access to internet and the bartenders were great. They made us Baileys Iced capps every morning and it was beautiful. They made us all these beautiful drinks too and just made us fall in love with the hotel staff and their skills. this one waiter even made his own concoction with spinach, celery and apple juice.. waoh it blew my mind at hoe delicious it was. So drinks wise.. BEST PLACE EVER!
- Check-In was quick and easy. Even though it was 2am when we came in. They have Champagne waiting for us as we came in.
- So many French Canadian tourists and staff, it was enlightening.

Cons:
- The adult only part of the wing was the furthest from the beach, so every morning walking to the beach 5-6 times became a hassle after few days.
- This place is huge, which is so difficult to make your way through the entire resort but that I guess is a good thing too.

Overall, I would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Get the Adult 5 star section if you want peace and quiet, if not then get the villas or the rooms ne...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ssandal
St. John's
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just got back from the Iberostar Laguna Azul and since I found a lot of these reviews helpful before I left, I thought I'd add one myself now that I am back and from a Canadian traveller perspective, as I know there is a lot of information here from UK visitors as well, who may not have experienced the same types of problems with electricity, etc.. I was there from April 15 - 23 and travelled via Sunwing.

The first think I have to say, even before I get to the resort review, is that Sunwing was a wonderful airline to fly with. This was my first time flying with them, since my last 6 times doing all-inclucives have been via Air Transat.

Now for the review:

For starters, anything you bring that requires electricity, make sure it is compatible with 110v AND 220v, it should say right on the adapter or on the applicance itself. All the outlets will accept a standard North American plug or the UK round type, so no need for a adapter, but you you have to make sure your hair dryer, curling iron, hair straighteners are all capable of operating at 220v; if not, buy new ones...even just a cheap one for the trip that is compatible. Some reviews say there is 110v outlet in the washroom....not so. At least not in any of the rooms I seen there...I think there used to be, but not any longer. Don't count on the hair dryer in the washoom working very well, because it only operates for about 5 or 10 minutes, then overheats and shuts off. If you are going for a wedding and you need these hair supplies, check the voltage on them before going or it will ruin your trip. I did manage to get a CHI hair straightener working on a $30 power converter, but it wasn't as hot as normal. My CHI hairdryer wouldn't operate with the converter at all. Seems everyone has mixed experiences with the converter thing, so my advice, don't even bother. You can buy a cheap hair dryer and straightener that will work for another $30 and they will work perfectly.

Check-In:

Don't even bother arguing, pleading, bribing or in any other way trying to persuade the front desk staff to go out of their way to accomodate any special requests for you...not going to happen. No late checkouts, at least I couldn't get one, because they said the resort was at capacity...even though there were 50-60 empty rooms left by people who checked out the night before you. I knew when I arrived that I had to check out at noon, but the bus didn't pick me up until almost 12:00 that night; that's 12 hours with no room. I asked for a lter check out when I checked in and they said to check back the day I checked out, then on the day I checked out, they said I should have asked when I checked in. Once I was provided with a bracelt and room key, I had to wait almost an hour for someone to show me to my room. I would normally find it myself, but this was 2:30 in the morning and the resort was large, so I decided to wait instead of getting lost for 3 hours.

The Room:

Besides the electricty thing mentioned above, the rooms were nice, clean and large enough for my liking. Everything worked, except for the intermitent hairdryer. Safe was easy to use and free. Shower was nice as well and never had any issues with hot water, soap, toilet paper, etc. Maid was marvelous..mine was Aimee and she did made the most amazing things out of our towels and bed sheets...works of art! If you bring anything for tips, bring some face clothes, towels, makeup..etc. They seem to appreciate that stuff more than anything else. I even left my two large beach towles with the pool guy when I left and he actually hugged me and almost cried.

Don't count on getting one larger king bed, most room have two double beds. I learned why a lot of people do get these two separate beds though...if your last names are different, they seem to give two beds, if it's the same (Mr. Mrs. Smith for example), you get one larger bed. So it may help to specify you are married or significant others before arriving or at the desk when you do arrive first. I had two seperate beds, but requested one larger one and they put me on a waiting list..never did get one though. TV worked fine, but only 2 or 3 English channels, 24 was CTV, that's what I watched most of the time the TV was on. There's a desk with mirror that you can use to dry/straighten hair..no outlet in the bathroom..at all. And no, not even on the hairdryer like some people state. I think they replaced those due to safety concerns.

The Resort:

The resort is actually one of the nicest I've been too with regard to appearances and physical design. It's relatively large, but doesn't feel that way, because each section has it's own pool, own restaurant, own bar and so on. The two smaller pools on either side of the resort are more quiet and less crowded if that's what you like. The main pool area is a lot larger, more crowded and noisy, but it's also the only one with a swim-up bar. I stayed at the west pool, near building 20, which a totally seperate building, not attached to the rest of the resort. This is good and bad...it's good, because it's a LOT less noisy, but bad because if it's raining, you have to go outside and walk about 200 ft to get to the main lobby and buffett area. The room does have an umbrella though thankfully.

I liked that area, not just for the quitness, but also because the staff there were above and beyond the rest of the staff on the resort...they were absolutely wonderful. Yaimi in particular was a total doll and went out of her way all the time to make sure you were happy. She made the trip for me. The other restaurants and bars, the staff didn't seem to want to be bothered with you, especially the main pool restaurant (Ranchon I think), unless you happened to be a good looking female; then all of a sudden they smiled and started talking in a sweet voice. Some Douwie (not spelled correctly) dude was the rudest person I ever met in Cuba.

There is an internet Cafe to check email, you have to purchase a card at the same location you change up your money. On that topic, the resort rate is pretty good, so I wouldn't bother at the airport at all. Lobby is on the 3rd floor, which is actually ground level if you are arriving from the front and is HUGE. It has a bar, hair salon, tobacco shop and cigar bar as well as a little store to buy snacks and the like Also has plenty of seating areas and an outside terrace overlooking the whole resort from 3 stories up. There is live piano/saxophone music every night and the animation people are going around playing games.

I have no idea what the disco or the evening shows were like, because I didn't go to either, but if it was the same people who provided the pool side entertainment, it was probably a good show.

Food:

It's Cuba...nuff said. The food was blah...but it's the same on all the resorts from a 2 star up to a 5 star. If you want REALLY good food, go into town and pay a few peso for some genuine Cuban food. I didn't do any of the specialty restaurants, but I heard some were good, if you managed to book them early enough. I checked the day I arrived and I was only able to get the Japanese, but ended up not even going due to a bad freak thunder and lightening storm that same evening. It only lasted 2 hours though and was all over again. The buffett on the 1st floor of the main building (under the lobby) had a large selection of items as well as an ice cream bar. It just wasn't all that tastey to me. The pineapple ham and grilled lobster were the two best things I had all week. Everything else was chicken or fish with yellow colored rice. I think they recycle some of the food for lunch the following day as well...which I didn't mind, as long as it was still good..I believe in waste no, want not..but I know some people noticed it and complained.

The 24 hour snack place isn't really 24 hours, it's just open during the times the main buffett is closed. The only thing I ever seen there was a flat bread with spaghetti sauce and cheese that has been sitting out in the sun all day grated over the top..not toppings and some french fries. Sometimes they had hamburgers, but not on a regular basis.

Only two of the bars I found had cold slushi type drinks, if that's what you like, the rest just have ice cubes. Sometimes they ground the ice, sometimes they didn't..depends on what mood the bartender is in.

Check-out:

Or should I say nightmare! As I said previously, I HAD to check out at noon and put my bags in a holding room next to the lobby. It would be 12 hours before I had to leave the resort for the airport. I enquired about an extended check-out and thre reply was no, I enquired about a hospitality type room to use to get a shower...no again. Then I was told about the gym, but I had to use it before 6:30, as it closed at 7:00. Little did I realize that there was NO outlets there either and NO hairdryer at all. There was also no soap, no shampoo or towels. Very frustrating. That was really the deciding factor on me not wanting to go back there again. I'm sure if I had been on a flight that left earlier, it might not have been such a big deal. Or if the resort wasn't full..again, maybe I could have got a late checkout..who knows. What I do know however, is that a 5 star resort, or a 4 star should at least TRY to accomodate guests in this type of situation, or it ruins an entire trip in a very short time. Last impressions on a trip like this are the longest lasting. Again, I did complain to the service manager who basically laughed at me and repeated what the front desk told me..the resort was full. What that had to do with no soap, no shampoo and no towels in a gym washroom/changeroom is beyond me however, but that didn't seem to register through her tightly curled hair. The 'upper management' there seemed to be very arrogant and not have the time of day for the tourists who pay their salaries, which is sad. They really need to clean house and get rid of some people there at the upper levels and replace them with some REAL Cuban people who appreciate where they come from. The poorest of Cubans are definetly the nicest and in my opinion the true representation of the Cuban people.

Oh and by the way, you check out where you change your money also...not really clearly marked. You can also pay your phone bill there if you used the room phone (About $3.00 a minute to Canada)

That's about it....I'm sure there is a lot I'm forgetting, but those are the main points I remembered. Basically a nice resort, physcially and appearances anyway. The staff are so-so...a very few select people will go out of their way for you..so I tipped them accordingly...the rest got nothing. They may share tips, I have no idea, but if they ALL did what the few very good ones did, they would have a whole lot more to share around. Not sure if things have changed since my last visit to Cuba, which was 5 years ago, but the people then seemed a whole lot nicer..or maybe it was just the other resort, I'm not sure.

I'd rate appearance a 5, rooms-4, staff-2 (except for the few 5's), reception desk-1, management-1, pools-5, animation crew-5, food-3 (wasn't all bad)

Room Tip: Building 10 or 20 are both disconnected from the main building and have no traffic going through the...
2 Thank Meliasol
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear "Meliasol"

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing an Iberostar resort for your holyday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make Iberostar Laguna Azul a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards

Management.
Iberostar Laguna Azul
Halifax
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at the Iberostar Laguna Azul in May of 2011 for one week. The resort was amazing! This was my 3rd time in Cuba and this was by far the best resort I have stayed at. The resort had lots to do, great pool areas, amazing beach area, friendly service, excellent nighttime entertainment and good food. Had my wedding here and it was totally stress free - loved it! Plus, what is better than a wedding right on the beach - beautiful! Totally recommend this resort! I will be back :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank halifaxtraveler1
Meteghan
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just returned from another great trip to the Laguna Azul! I was there in April 2010 and then from April 13th to 20th this year. The resort was still as nice as before! Our room this year had an amazing view of the ocean and the pools! We were greeted with warm smiles by all the staff and some of the staff even remembered us from our last trip 2 years ago! Oneysis in the ice cream parlour was very happy to see us again. She is SO friendly and always has a smile with a "Hola my friend!" Yoel in the buffet was still there to make our omelettes each morning! He also was very happy to see us and we were very happy to see him again! Very courteous and caring...always a nice smile from him to start our day! Plus, he makes the BEST omelettes! Pavel in the cigar bar also recongized us and still makes the best drinks! The Star Friends were all very entertaining...day and night! This resort is great since you can either relax or have fun! There is always something to do! The disco is very lively also...especially compared to the Riu next door. We enjoyed the Jeep Safari and Catamaran tours and both were very good! Definitely worth the money! The only downfall this resort has is the food. We knew that Cuban food wasn't that great, so we were prepared for that. We didn't starve, but were very grateful for Canadian food when we arrived back home. We really enjoyed the Japanese a la carte, Tex Mex was pretty good and the Italian was just okay. All in all, we had another great week full of sun, fun and good laughs! I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melissa D
Wabush, nl
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went to this, our first ever, resort not knowing what to expect. We were told that there were armed security everywhere, no facecloths or towels, very little to expect in the line of food we would like, (my wife is a VERY picky eater). I must say that we were amazed at what we encountered. Never saw an armed security guard, disappointing,LOL the rooms were cleaned every morning, there was always clean towels and facecloths and the food was amazing. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, courteous and the resort was cleaner than some of the hotels we have encountered in Canada. We stayed in building 19 and the atmosphere, cleanliness and total feeling we had was an awesome experience. Would recommend this place to anyone (already have). Would definitely return to this resort without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends