“Wonderful hotel, AMAZING island, fabulous holiday, indepth review”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Ledbury, Herefordshire
“Wonderful hotel, AMAZING island, fabulous holiday, indepth review”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

To sum up our holiday in one word AMAZING.

We went to Cuba to get married, there was a group of 15 of us all together ranging from 22 months old to 55 years old, most of us were in our late 20s, and we all had a fantastic time.

We spent two weeks at the Laguna Azul and have all agreed that we would love to come back for another stay at this hotel.

The hotel is only about 30/40 mins or so from the airport and is at the end of the peninsular, so you get to drive past all of the other hotels before hand giving you a slight sense of angst, however all worried disappear once you start the ascent of the Laguna Azul's impressive driveway and entrance. The bus pulled up outside the hotel, next to a lovely and very large waterfall fountain, and hotel staff greet you with a cocktail in a beautiful huge marble lobby, check in is very fast and smooth and we were taken to our room in a separate block on a golf trolley by very friendly hotel staff.

A couple of our party asked to change rooms for a variety of reasons, two single beds instead of 1 king size and we asked to be moved as we were on the 2nd floor with a 22 month old baby and pushchair with no lift. This was all rectified within 24 hours. This actually resulted in us having amazing room that was on the ground floor directly in-front of the beach, happy days!

There were a variety of bars and restaurants that were open all day and night and the staff could not have been more helpful or polite. The lobby bar and sun terrace was our favourite, we spent most nights sat there drinking champage cocktails, our glasses were never empty, the table service was superb.

The food was plentiful and OK, Cubans have to make the most of what they have and they do a great job. the al a carte restaurants were actually very very good, especially the Japanese, lots of tricks and showmanship as they cooked at your table!

As I mentioned we came to Cuba to get married, Yahimara was our wedding planner and was fiercely organised! As we were quite laid back about the whole thing, we wanted to be sat by the pool rather than choosing table plans, and cakes etc which she seemed quite shocked about! The only day it rained was on our wedding day, which I was gutted about so half our wedding was on the beach and the other half was upstairs next to the spa, not my dream day, but what can you do about mother nature...it also rained when we had our wedding reception in the UK too!

I had my hair done by the lady in salon, which unfortunately was my biggest regret, she made me look ridiculous and I didn't have enough time to wash and re do my hair before the ceremony, so had to make do with taking all the pins out and straighting it my self, I later refused to pay for the hair 'style'. Her English was quite poor which may have been part of the problem.

We used the resort photographer and unfortunately were quite disappointed by the photos as she kept getting us to move from the beach and up to the spa, taking photos of us on the benches and by the very English looking lampposts! In hindsight we should have stood our ground more and asked her for more shots on the beach. As part of the wedding package we had a meal for us and all of our guests in the Italian restaurant which was lovely and the staff were also very lovely and brought us a flambe wedding cake!

We did a number of trips, including the catamaran to Cayo Blanco [my favourite] the day trip to Havana and jet ski safari.

The catamaran was simply wonderful and the highlight of my trip. It was a whole day, and most of our party went including our 22 month son. The trip consisted of a mini bus the marina, a Catamaran to a beautiful uninhabited paradise Island, lobster lunch and finally swimming with dolphins in the ocean! Also all drink was inlcuded on the cruise. The two chaps that sailed the Catamaran were great fun and made trip even more enjoyable. TAKE THIS TRIP, it was brilliant.

We also did the day trip to Havana, it was a long day but worth it. Its an amazing city, with lots to see, although it made very pleased that we had picked Varadero for our hotel, one day in Havana was enough for me - very hot!

Jetski safari was awesome, slow jetskis but great fun. It lasts for a few hours and you get taken to a deserted zoo which was fun.

Although we were all inclusive we tried to get out as much as we could, we hired scooters [GREAT FUN] and went into Varadero town, which was fun, and actually the beaches here are breathtaking, better than the hotel beach.

We also went to the famous Calle '62 which was my favourite night, brilliant love music and dancing in the street, it was truly amazing.

Cuba as a whole has music playing all the time usually in the form of live bands, which only adds to the charm of the island and culture, this was another of my 'favourite things'.

The rooms were a good size, beds were huge, we spent most of the holiday with our 22 month old son lying horizontally in the bed with us and there was still plenty of room. The maid were great too, on our wedding night they had decorated our bed and bathroom with rose petals.

The staff at this resort are SO friendly, polite and courteous. They do not expect to be tipped, but they deserve it. Cuba is a very poor country and no one is allowed to make a great deal of money. After reading reviews we took tooth paste, pens, toothbrushes, shampoo, tampons, paracetamol, aspirin and baby products with us as a form of tip for the maids which they seemed very grateful for. We also left all of our shampoo and toiletries behind for them, and all chipped in and gave our favourite waiters and waitresses a big tip on our last day.

We sued the hotel baby sitting service two or three times and the girls were lovely.

Over all we LOVED Cuba and loved this hotel. If I had to pick a negative point, it would be that the 'public' toilets by the pools were a little shabby with broken hinges etc, but this really was the only thing I would criticise, it really was a the best holiday I have ever had and all of our friends felt the same way too.

This hotel offers great service, excellent value for money, great location and beautiful surroundings with 3 large pools catering to every-ones needs, both young and old. there is something for everyone at this hotel and its big enough to have music in one area and tranquillity in the other. We cant wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank kaytecc
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Dear "kaytecc"

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Laguna Azul for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Iberostar Laguna Azul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,282)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The resort was beautiful, staff great, room was a nice size. Drinks were yummy, I loved the Miami vice and piña colada , and the frozen lemonade were great! Nice beach, and ice cream bar was alway a fav.

I found the main desk weren't well with speaking English , we has an issue with our phone and it took two days to get a new one as they told me it was ringing... When it wouldn't go through to our room.

We also had an issue with the room above us, the guy got sick and threw up over the balcony and it got all over our clothes that we had out drying. Now obviously this isn't anything to do with the resort, the staff cleaned our clothes free of charge. But we did find the maid didn't clean the balcony as good as it should have been. The boyfriend had to clean the remainder of the throw up.

The food was not good! Don't get me wrong we understand the food in Cuba isn't the greatest, my issue was the food that was good was cold! Unless you waited for the pizza to come out of the oven it's cold! Everything in the buffet was cold if lucky Luke warm, how is it cold when under warming gear? I got tired of eating the same foods. Pizza,fries,hot dogs,breads,and eggs!
Thank god we brought a suitcase of snacks. If it wasn't for the snacks I would have starved! I went to Dominican the previous year and the food was great! So it was a little dissapointing to eat cold food.

Go get the double decker bus to varadero and shop around. For 5 CCP each person it was fun :) we went to the markets 3 times. We reccomend getting a taxi back. For the extra money it'll avoid a long run back to your hotel. As it stops to each resort.

We went swimming with the dolphins, compared to Dominican the excursion wasn't organized . Dont get me wrong it was fun, but it wasn't the best! At the end of the swim, he showed us pictures of a different jump we could do but it's another. 10 CCP per person... I though it was just a way to get your money.

Snorkeling was a fun cheap excursion and the visit to swim in the cave was fun, just don't bring anything valuable as you need to leave everything on the bus, the beach you go to has people waiting to take your stuff. You even have to leave your towel and footwear on the bus.

We went skydiving , that was an experience. Watch out for the main guy, he tries to get your money to buy a video. We bought the video and he told us it would have both myself and boyfriend on the video. But when we watched it, it only had my jump. That was a little sad!

We had a horrible flight time and didn't get picked up for the airport until 12 midnight and you need to checkout at 12 noon. There was no way to get your room longer I was willing to pay. I went up with my credit card and there was no way as they were overbooked! So that sucked! They did have a shower room... That wasn't nice, dirty towels left around, and very musty . It was on the bottom level, we didn't experience any musty smells or lack of cleanliness the whole duration of our stay. But seeing this room you see a different side if the resort. Maybe it was just if being used so much, but it was an eye opener.

Overall, the resort was beautiful, staff was great, they wouldn't see you without a drink, the food... Well it's Cuba, was dissapointed in it being cold. But with our snacks we survived! Loved the freedom of Cuba, being able to leave the resort to go to the markets. We did have a great vacation, just weary of returning to this resort !

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank KSaunders10
Dear "KNeil86"

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Couple just returned from this place having been here for the last two weeks in the end of May.

This is all you need to know:
Food - if you don't like the food at this place you are either a Michelin starred chef, and should therefore be going to different hotels from this place, or you are the fussiest eaters around and should be staying at home and not making other people nervous with your reviews. Buffet had different themed nights every night including Chinese, Spanish, Indian, Italian, Cuban, etc. Every night you would also get freshly cooked seafood, veggies, pasta, pizza, bread, etc. As another reviewer has mentioned book the a la cartes on your first day there as they are popular. we had Cuban, Del Chef and Japanese and they were all brilliant.

Cleanliness - yes you will get flys on the food from time to time but show me a hot country where this does not happen? Rooms are immaculate as are all the lobbies and corridors. We got fresh towels every day and there was always table cloths on the tables for all meals, so not sure what other people are talking about. the maids work really long hours and deserve all the tips they can get, and we also had our balcony windows cleaned twice while we were there.

Gardens and beach - the gardens are immaculate and the ground staff are some f the friendliest people I have ever met, and if you ask them nicely they will make you a hat from the local plants and give you flowers. the beach is immaculate and the staff at the bar there were always very friendly. There are locals on the beach trying to sell you local arts and crafts but they are not pushy like in places like Turkey, and the security staff are always there if you needed them. There is also at least one member of beach staff the at all times as well as two red cross staff, which you don't get on my local beaches.

Entertainment- archery, paddle, shooting, boats of all shapes and sizes, water aerobics, shuffle, boules, dominoes, you get the idea! Staff are encouraging but not pushy, and the guy that works on the towel place and hands out equipment was very friendly and always helpful when I tried to speak some Spanish. Plus there is usually the bonus of a bottle of rum as a prize a several points during the day. the shows at night were not our cup of tea but cater for a variety of different interests. If you prefer a quieter area the hotel lobby with resident pianist and Cuban quartet were brillian, with REM, Queen and Mariah Carey just some of the artists they performed. There is also a nightclub on site which was apparently very good.

Bar staff - some of the friendliest people we have ever met and they never expect a tip. Havana Club 7 year old comes in quantities equivalent to 4 nips and the cocktails are brilliant. If you need water every day then take your bottle to one of the many bars and they will fill it up, and it is all purified so you don't have to worry about it.

Tipping is not expected but they really deserve it for all the hard work they do. A very friendly resort and the people we spoke to loved it, so enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: We were in block 14 which overlooked one of the two smaller pools and it was great; close to all the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Carla B
Dear "Carla B"

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I went with my cousins and family and had an incredible time! When we checked in, i thought the place was beautiful! We got to our room and the room was so clean and neat and beautiful! The only thing i didn't like too much was that the sheets were a little damp (but that's because of the humidity, so its not the hotels fault) The food was great! There was such an amazing buffet with so much choice! The international and Italian restaurant was amazing too! The beach was wonderful! It was like exactly like the pictures. It was so clean and nice! The service was amazing! They workers were sooooo friendly and nice and happy!
Overall, i LOVED LOVED LOVED the hotel and am definitively going back again soon!!!
(DON'T BE DISCOURAGED WITH THE BAD REVIEWS, IT IS WONDERFUL! 100% A 5 STAR RESORT!)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tammy P
Dear "Tammy P"

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

After reading the negative reviews on here we were very, very nervous and apprehensive to say the least. We spent the first four days of our two weeks in Havana learning about the culture, the history and the politics of Cuba and so we were a lot more tolerant of the culture and the people than some of the folks on here who seem to be very ignorant that Cuba is a country like no other. The hotel was very clean, new, well laid out and spacious with plenty of places to be as noisy, active or as quiet as you wanted to be. My husband and myself travelled to Cuba with two of our friends and after a three hour journey from Havana, it was great to be greeted by smiling and helpful staff on check in. We were allocated rooms, one on the ground floor which we had specifically requested not to be on, but that was Virgin's fault as they hadn't forwarded our requests on. Anyway, the reception staff were brilliant and moved us to block 17 the next day on the second floor which was a quiet block overlooking one of the quiet pools. Our room was fresh and free from the smell of foist but our friend's room which was four doors along smelled strongly of damp and we decided that it was the fault of the air conditioning unit as it appeared to be older/different to the one in our room, so this smell wasn't just in the rooms on the ground floor which we had read. The hotel was quiet when we arrived (May 18th until 28th) as it was the start of low season and the hotel was just over half full, in fact one of the blocks was closed for maintenance. We had no problems with towels as expected, plenty of beach towels although the truck from the laundry had broken down one day and we were told to hang onto our beach towels just in case. Every hotel on the Varadero strip uses the same laundry and each hotel would love their own laundry but the state dictates who does what and where. Our maid wasn't exactly keen as she left our bath towels three days running but again reception sorted this out and we were supplied with fresh towels, our friends who had a different maid, had no problems whatsoever. The mini bar was kept stocked and the room was kept fairly clean but we were the last room to be cleaned by our maid and it was obvious she just wanted to go home by the time she reached our room. The hotel was very clean and the grounds, gardens and pools immaculate. There were gardeners working from 6am to maintain the flowers and plants and often would cut a flower and give it to you or make a small corsage for you. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, helpful and happy, we didn't encounter one miserable face and they were all more than willing to help. The staff work at least 70 hours each week with one day off and with little pay and they are paid by the state not the hotel so remember that when you encounter someone who isn't at their best, it's shocking. Dianysis the waitress in the lobby bar was lovely, Darien in the restaurant by the beach was also fab and Oneysis the lady in the ice cream parlour was lovely too. The subject of the food..... .it is Cuba and if you bother to learn the political stance and how the country is run, then you will realise that certain foods are either unavailable or they really don't know what to do with it. Iberostar cannot just send food and neither can any other hotel chain based in Cuba, everything is monitored and controlled by the government. The food in the buffet wasn't hot enough but we stuck to the freshly cooked stuff and were fine, the Cubans are not only stuck in a 50's time warp culturally but in absolutely everything and so they haven't a clue how to cook meat properly. Cubans don't have spices or use spices and their staple diet is rice, potatoes and pork so considering the choice in the buffet we thought the hotel did amazingly well considering the embargo and political stance. We ate in four of the a la carte restaurants, the Italian which was great if you have the fish, the del Chef which is the steak and fish but the Island had no access to beef while we were there so chicken was on offer and again the fish was great. The Tex Mex was lovely too but the tacos were tacoless as there was no way of getting taco shells at present but we still enjoyed it, laughed about the tacoless tacos and just got on with it and the Japanese was absolutely fantastic. The entertainment team (Animacion Team) were friendly, happy and worked ridiculously hard and you could be involved with as little or as much as you liked. Use the pedaloes, catamaran (pay the extra 20 cucs each for the trip to go snorkeliing with the tropical fish....worth every penny), we also had a go with the kayaks too which was good fun and life jackets and snorkelling equipment are readily supplied. We had a go at the archery and shooting for fun. The cocktails and drinks are absolutely fine and if you don't over indulge either on food or drink or both then you won't get sick. We saw folks drinking to ridiculous excess and plates piled high with every dish imaginable and these were the ones who moaned they weren't well the next day. The beach is fab, we were up at 6am to watch the sunrise and the staff were there cleaning up the debris left by some of the lazy tourists (there are bins to use) and even cleaning any washed up seaweed. We found the hotel to be great, maybe not five star in English terms but taking into account the limitations the Cubans have placed upon them then this was by far one of the best hotels in Varadero. The food was fine, we had no problems and my hubby is the pickiest eater you've ever met, the cleanliness was superb, the rooms clean and comfortable and did smell a bit damp but Cuba is humid and damp so unless they can miraculously get rid of the humidity this will never change, the staff happy and helpful and the resort in total is fantastic. Go with an open mind, be kind to those who work there, they are human too and no different to you or I and don't deserve some of the rudeness we witnessed (not by the Brits may I add) and take Cuba as it comes, keeping in mind that Iberostar is bound politically to what they can and cannot do/provide etc. Tipping was not an issue, we tipped when necessary but never encountered a glum or miserable face when not tipped and the staff are very appreciative of any left over toiletries at the end of your stay. We found out that the average wage was approx 14 CUCs per month and some basic toiletries to buy are 15 CUCS......need I say more?? Cuba is completely different from the USA or Europe, I suggest a trip to Havana to really grasp the real Cuba and to see some of the harsh living conditions, you will also realise that the food in the hotel is fine after a trip to Havana as after four days having to find restaurants to eat there it made the buffet look simply scrumptious and we ate in one of the best restaurants in the city. The people of Cuba are limited in food and rationing still exists with some restaurants in Havana running out before evening. Varadero is not like the usual holiday resorts, you won't find fancy shops, bars and restaurants as the place is stuck in time and can't move on until allowed, but you will find cheap souvenirs, friendly Cubans and a fascinating culture. Ignore the negative reviews on here, if you do have any problems at the hotel, explain at reception without being rude or offensive and you will find that your problem will be resolved immediatley. Buy your sun tan lotion before you go, it's hard to get and extremely expensive and they don't have the usual brands that us Brits are used too. Read about the history, (Revolution, Cuban Missiles Crisis) and culture and you will be tolerant and compassionate and able to understand the plight the Cubans find themselves in who work at the hotel. All in all we had a fantastic time, loved Havana and the Laguna Azul, loved the people, the culture and the sheer craziness of the place and we would love to go back.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you go with requests, they do take them into consideration. Blocks 17, 18, 19...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear "JudeCol"

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We had to change room twice. The first one had very strong mildew smell ( and mildew on some of the walls), double beds and some tiny bugs running from the wall to the pillows (the ones that don't sting at least). We couldn't switch rooms until the next day. Then another room, finally with a king size bed but still a weak mildew smell. Finally, we were able to get a good room a couple days later.

Very good service. Not more than average food. Great beach. Loud animation for a couple hours a day on the beach, then, music (not great if you like to hear the waves). The Havana tour was worth it. A little problem with the towels which were not available until around 10:30 a.m.

Room Tip: go to high floors if they let you have a room there. More humidity and even strong mildew smell in s...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yves B
Dear "Yves B"

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing an Iberostar resort for your holyday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make Iberostar Laguna Azul a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards

Management.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The resort was okay. Lots of young party people, very loud. The place itself was fine. Attendance to repairs was quite poor. Our balcony door did not lock and our fan was broken and never fixed. The best part of the trip was Havana. We took a tour with a young man, Alain Alvarez and his uncle Alberto. They picked us up in a 1956 Chevy Bell-Air, purple and white exterior with air conditioning. Such a comfortable ride! When you're in Cuba you've got to go in a classic car to have the full experience! Alain spoke perfect English and was a great tour guide. He stopped everywhere along the way we asked about and even found some schools for us to stop with our donations for the kids. He was a great translator for us. He knew all the history and took us to some great spots in old Havana. They charged us $120.00 for the 2 of us for the day with pick up and drop off at the hotel of course. His contact number at home is 525562, cell 52716812, give them a call when you're there for a great escorted tour!
Next time I travel to Cuba I will try a different area since Varadero was a little loud for us. We were told there are some quieter hotels in the area but I think all of Varadero is a little too loud for us.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends