Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Struzina
Ottawa, Canada

Second time was not a charm!

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 7, 2015
Wrote a glowing review of this hotel 2 years ago. We were excited to return, but were quite disappointed with the decline in overall quality. I was expecting to write another 5 star review, but I honestly can't.
First the pros:
- Lisel at the front counter, Boris at the beach towel hut, Kenia our maid, and the bartenders at the lobby and swim up bars were wonderful
- beautiful beach and hotel. A grand staircase leads to a spacious outdoor patio. A lovely place to sit in the warm evenings.
- Star Friends amazing...as always!
- once again, the Cuban a la carte served a tasty meal...very good lobster here.
- flew with Sunwing. No problems except the seats are so narrow and I'm an average sized person. Can't imagine sitting in those seats any longer than 3 1/2 hours. Yilian (pronounced Jillian) was our rep
- we ate at Jesus restaurant just outside Varadero. Excellent food! I recommend it highly!
Now the cons:
- no response to our e-mails before we arrived. We wanted a room on the second or third floor. Finally, my husband called them with a prepared speech in Spanish written with the help of a friend who speaks Spanish. After 3 calls and being disconnected, we finally spoke to someone at the front desk who assured us we would have a room "high up." We did get a room in building 14 on the second floor, but the ac didn't work and the room smelled moldy. My husband began sneezing right away. We immediately went back to the front desk to request a room change, and were given another room in building 19 on the third floor. Much better and the ac worked. A response from management to my last review of this hotel indicated that if we wanted to return, just contact them...we did...no response!
- we were told by our rep that we could pay for a late check out and we could get a courtesy room to shower and clean up before we left (our bus arrived at 7:00 p.m. the day we left and check out is at noon). So, bright and early the morning of our last day, we went to the front desk to purchase a late check-out. Not only were we denied, but we were told there's no courtesy room. We can use the spa showers. I approached a manager who got us a 30 minute reservation in the courtesy room at 5:00. Since it was scorching hot, we used the spa showers, which are not private and are small...bathrooms had no toilet seats and the cubicles so small you can hardly fit into them. I did, however, decide to purchase a 30 minute massage, which turned into 40 minutes and was quite enjoyable. My husband and I then sat in lounge chairs by the spa which is located on the fifth floor. There was a breeze and we didn't drip in sweat. At 5, we went to the front desk to get a key to the courtesy room. The same girl who denied us in the morning greeted me by practically yelling at me to use the spa! Didn't get her name as her "high on the head" pony tail draped over her shoulder to conveniently cover her name tag. I told her we had been given a 5:00 time for the courtesy room...and with a lot of eye rolling and talking in Spanish to another worker, told us to sit and wait. We spoke to our rep about this and she said she has never heard of guests being denied a late check out during "low" season.
- Poor Boris at the beach towel exchange hut. He was inundated with complaints and harassment because clean towels were not delivered. One day he had called up to the main hotel at noon and was told the towels had been delivered to the hotel and he could expect them within an hour. Four hours later...no towels! Not Boris' fault, but he treated guests with respect.
- the food was pretty good, but the service horrible! There were constantly no plates, cutlery, glasses in the main buffet restaurant. Tablecloths were filthy by the end of the day! I was given cutlery from the table beside us after the guests at that table left. There were about 3 serving utensils for 5 dishes, so people were using one utensil for multiple dishes (cross contamination). Smaller spoons were used for some of the jams and they fell into the jam. People picked out the spoons with their fingers! Gross! We have never waited so long for servers to refill wine glasses or clear the table or bring a coffee or tea. We usually went looking for someone to get refills. The juice in the morning was basically Tang. Servers did not try to engage in conversation with guests...except the Cuban guests. We sat for 1/2 hour while our servers (as well as servers from another area) chatted and laughed it up with a Cuban guest...until finally a manager came over and broke it up.
- bathrooms around the resort had no toilet seats and often no toilet paper or soap.
- we love the Cubans...they are so friendly, but what happens to them when they come to the resort? I went to the pizza counter but there was no pizza, so I chatted with my husband who was next to me at the bread counter. When the pizza came out, I moved over to get some, only to be accosted by a woman and her family. She actually put her arm out and hit me in the chest in an effort to prevent me from taking any pizza...until her brood had finished and there was none left!

I'm going to stop complaining now. Sorry for this long review. I never thought an Iberostar hotel would be so lacking in customer relations. We've stayed at the Iberostar Varadero 3 times and we received welcome fruit plates and rum on our second and third visits because we were returning customers.

This hotel has certainly deteriorated in the last 2 years. Maybe it needs a management overhaul. We will not return for a third visit. Next year we'll be back at Iberostar Varadero.
Date of stay: June 2015
Room Tip: building 18 or 19... at least third floor in the summer when it's hot.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
2.0 of 5 bubblesService
4.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded Jul 13, 2015
"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Breakfast place
C$78
15.0 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
Free parking
Patio trasero de la casa
C$34
    C$34
17.5 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
View more hotels in Varadero
12,190 results
All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed July 7, 2015

We came back on Sunday from our 10 days stay at Iberostar Laguna Azul.
Very dissapointing. I have visited many hotels in different countries (Mexico, Thailand, Bali, Egypt) but have never seen as bad 5 star hotel as Laguna Azul.
I would give max 3 star to this hotel.
Let me start from the Pros:
- beautiful beach
- very friendly staff at the Lobby bar (Michel is the best) and the pool
- couldn't complain on my maid (Yanet) as she was always very helpful, even day before our departure she asked us if we need anything extra.
- Japanese al carte restaurant is amazing but it looks like every Iberostar is proud of their Japanese restaurant
- clean pools and a lot of pools.

Cons:
- Buffet restaurant - dirty, lack of plates, lack of glasses, slow service (waiting for my morning coffee 20 minutes) no variety of foods
- No towels at the pool
- Sometimes missing towels in the room and then waiting 1.5h for a towel after complaining 4 times to reception
- Towels are dirty like nobody ever washed them - spoke to manager and showed him my towel and he confirmed that the dirty and almost black towel (should be white) is his clean towel but when I showed it to my representative she was shocked saying that this is not a clean towel
- Some of the maids should change their attitude towards customers. They dare to argue with guests about mini bars, that they re-stocked it when they didn't.
- Some reception girls also should changed their attitudes as we were told and assured that the hotel have a courtesy room when you depart late in the evening but on a day of our departure we wanted to book courtesy room and they said that they don't have anything like that even that two days before I was waiting 15 minutes at reception to confirm that they will offer us one. Only when we said that we would like to speak to manager they changed their attitude and suddenly they could find booking sheet.
- Entertainment is poor during the day, the animation team is not even encouraging to take part in activities. The only activities during the day which you know about are dancing lesson (every day the same dance and the same moves) and aqua gym. Very boring during the day.

The room we had was ok, you can see that this is very old hotel and need some refurbishment, but if you can request block 19 and not the ground floor. We were in block 19 and rooms were ok.

Overall if you want something you need to either pay or ask to speak to manager, which shouldn't be like that in a 5 star all inclusive hotel.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank KasiaP85
Director D, Director General at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 7, 2015

This resort was a dump!!!!!!!!! The food was gross, they never had clean plates or cups, the cups where reused without being cleaned, just wiped and put on other tables. The rooms smelled!!!! The towels where stained and had been changed twice in 7 days, the bed sheets and the pillows smelled of old body sweat. None of the restaurants had air conditioning so the doors where open letting flies and birds in to devour the food at the buffet. I saw really bad food cross contamination!!! the BBQ worker took the tongues and picked up RAW chicken and put it on the BBQ and then took the same tongues and put them back into the cooked hamburger container for the guests to use to grab a burger. My daughter got so ill from the food handling she was up one night vomiting and severe diarrhea, I went to customer service and they said it's the heat, ya OK!!! Most of the staff wouldn't lift a hand to help at all and only a couple had a smile on there faces, I had to get my own place mats cutlery and wine and water. Read the negative TripAdvisor reviews over the last month because they are the truth!! This was our third visit to Cuba and it was by far the worst.

This resort should have a 2 star rating NOT 5!!!

On the second to last day I asked to speak to the manager, but only got a runaround, I wanted to speak to him/her face to face instead of going this route to complain!!

I could go on and on but this and the other reviews speak for themselves

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
3  Thank Pete_and_Sherle

Reviewed July 6, 2015

Cuba is great, specially the beach and people. This property was truly disappointing. you would think that in there slow season the service and amenities would be better then expected. There were no clean beach towels for 4 days.There was no paper towel or hand soap in the public washroom all week. From someone that trains food safety in Canada in the food service industry, this place has major Personal Hygiene and food borne Illness written all over it. if they do not have hand soap in the area's when can been seen by the public, just imagine the lack of cross-contamination controls that are in the back of the house when preparing food and washing glasses and dishes.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
5  Thank Paul L
Director D, Director General at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2015

Reviewed July 6, 2015

this hotel was very nice indeed. we went over a Christmas period and it was beautiful

the rooms are comfortable and have everything u need inside them, they are nothing special but they are clean and spacious.

the food was ok, we tried local food and smoked cigars with the locals :)

the beach, weather and ameneties were all good we have no complaints, id definitely go to this hotel again or recommend, they have many activities and spa choices to get involved in, its a very quiet hotel not a nightlife hotel if your a perty animal,.

perfect for a romantic get away of relaxingness.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank rachellabella2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 6, 2015 via mobile

Just returned from 2 weeks of gourmet hell. Anyone fancy the previous nights carrots,broccoli or potatoes for breakfast..... Me neither.dress code for lunch time was none existent,so if you want to see middle aged men walking around the buffet in budgie smugglers & sweaty tee shirts,this is the place for you. Shortage of plates & glasses.had to use a tea cup for puddings & cereals. The only time you was treated like a guest at a 5 star hotel was when the survey sheet was handed out. Came to this hotel 3 years ago so I don't know what's happened. Won't be returning & won't recommend this hotel. Staff all over the English & Canadian guests because of the out of control tipping culture.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple