Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
9,687 results
All reviews pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish main buffet japanese restaurant beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts every other day recommend this resort star friends magic show buffet food
Selected filters
Reviewed July 13, 2015

We visited this resort with 2 other couples. We initially were put in the 1900 block of rooms and our room was so mold infested and dirty. We asked to be placed into another room but staff would not accommodate us. Day two we asked our sunwing rep and showed him our room and he was very upset over the conditions and moved us immediately to block 1700 and it was much much better. The resort is huge, entertainment was totally awesome. Food was just OK. A la carts were really good, we had the Cuban, Japanese and Romantica and all were nice. The resort seems too big for it's own good though because there is very little staff assistance, long lines to get simple foods such as the pizza and pasta, no coral at the beach which meant no snorkeling :( Lots of seating and shade for the beach and the pools so that was nice. All in all I would say it was a decent resort but quite costly for what it offered. And if we had not been moved from the first room, our trip would have been terrible.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Huanu
Director D, Director General at Iberostar Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 12, 2015

We just returned from a one week family vacation and loved every minute of the trip! Our room was clean and comfortable and the service was outstanding. So many good shows in the evening and fun by the pool during the day. We got the name and number of a taxi driver and used his services everyday to run into Varadero. My father required a wheelchair and the guest services provided one without charge for the week.
The people of Cuba are lovely and the country is beautiful. My son enjoyed the Spanish lessons and ordering fruit punch at the pool. The entertainment staff was very enthusiastic and made each day fun. Please don't compare Cuba and this resort to the big American ones most people are accustomed to. It is a great hotel and the people, I believe, work very hard to give you the best they can. Come to Cuba with an open mind and enjoy the music, the people and the experience.

5  Thank 13mgm
Director D, Director General at Iberostar Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 12, 2015

We stayed here as a family end of June I had read the reviews before coming and unfortunately they were all true. I am not a fussy person and have travelled to many countries and backpacked around Australia and Asia I have seen some sites but this hotel more a 3 star not a 4 or 5 star standards are very low.

On arrival they did not offer a drink no air con in main foyer was hot and uncomfortable you could not sit here at night and enjoy a cocktail as too hot.
Reception staff very slow and not helpfull served other guests while checking us in they need more staff on front desk to cope.

Our rooms we could live with but badly needs refurbishment, bathrooms were nice we did have a toilet seat but stains on chairs, mirrors covered in paint, the towels were worse old and had old stains on them and in short supply, my sister had holes in her bed sheets and my mum had ants in her room, aircon is very loud when you complain at this hotel we were all ignored nothing gets done.
The grounds were nice and pool area was good we could have lived with the room but the worst was the food areas flies all over the food no containers to cover the food I ordered a pizza at the pool restaurant there were at least 10 flies sitting on my pizza the cook did nothing to shoo them away they were everywhere also birds in food area we had to eat with our napkin over our food.

Staff were rude and unhelpful we had'nt changed our money when arrived and my friend offered English coins to the man who too her bags and his relpy was rude, but not all staff were rude my maid was very nice but my mum had a bad experience with a maid at the buffet who was extremely rude. They dont have enough plates and cups so go early as they quickly run out.
The Italian is not good either the soup is like water and the pasta awful. I know food in Cuba is not great but the other hotel seemed to do a much better job.

Lucky for us we managed to get moved to a lovely hotel with nice staff, good food and no flies. Our holiday rep was very good and the pool bar guy Kenzie really nice. Our first Iberostar and our last.

Date of stay: June 2015
6  Thank GlasgowMinnie

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 12, 2015

Let me start off by warning you all that my review will be long and detailed..however I highly recommend fully reading this before making any decision to book this hotel.

My family and I (9 people) booked this hotel a month prior to leaving to varadero. I have been to this ho tel before and I loved it and so I had recommended it to the rest of my family. So all 9 of us book ..little did we know we were booking a hotel of pure nightmare.

Let me start off with the moment we arrived. We waited.. AN HOUR AND A HALF...yes an hour and a half to get to check into our rooms..granted it was not even busy at front desk...why it took an hour and a half? who knows. Anyhow..after our dreaded wait to simply check into our rooms in a lobby that literally has no A/C , only one room was ready and we had to wait for the other rooms. A family member of mine has a disability and we had booked her a accessibility room ONE MONTH PRIOR. so..if we booked 1 WHOLE MONTH PRIOR , why is it that when we arrived..there was nothing there for us ...there was no disability room and nothing was booked ...How unorganized.

Finally after getting our rooms we went up to check them out. the smell of MOLD literally drenched our rooms and the hallway. but we thought it must be from the Cuban weather , my family had 5 rooms in total...EACH ROOM HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT.
let me start with my list of how bad the rooms were.
1. Shower head in the accessibility room (that we finally got ) was broken ...
2.there was GREEN..yes I said it..GREEN mold on the robes... (this was in 2/5 rooms)
3. shower heads were broken and hardly any water coming out
4. I found BUGS in my bed...TONS of them.. as well as on the furniture
5. dirty and stained sheets in ALL 5 ROOMS
6. our room cards kept deactivating themselves and we went up and down to the lobby i think at least 12 times.
7. no towels in the bathroom and the towels are so thin and worn out we cant even use them to dry ourselves.
8. stained sheets, stained pillows, mold smell in all 5 rooms
9. AC broke in 2/5 rooms
10. each room got switched at least twice that half day that we were there..

We spent ALL day changing rooms instead of being in the pool or beach. Aside from the rooms let me move on to the rest of the issues in this hotel.

every complaint we made to front desk was written down..we were refused MANY times to speak to a manager...manager is literally never there and that is so hard to believe. every complaint we make does not matter to them..they brush it off find a temporary solution and then we find an even bigger problem. no manager to speak too...that is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

the food at the buffet reminded me of jail food. First of all the dining hall itself is so dark and depressing .and the food there is SO BAD. i have been to cuba many times and I fully understand that they are not famous for their food but this place....the food was so low quality i refused to eat anything but bread and butter. The one hot dog i tried to eat was literally three different temperatures...hot, cold and warm.
There were SOOOO many flies and bugs in the food and the food literally smelt like it was rotting away.. the reason why is because for some reason they dont have AC in the dining hall either so all the food is sitting in this drenched and sticky heat ...

Next is the service...which surprised me the most. No one that works there cares. I ask for a cup of water in the lobby and they say they cant give me water...only juice or alcohol. THEY LITERALLY COULD NOT GIVE US CUPS OF WATER IN THE LOBBY OR BAR...WHY?!

The workers there do not care about anyone..even when we tipped the bell boy 4 dollars he looked at it and shook his head because he was not happy with his tip.

I can go on and on and on about how bad this hotel is but ive named most of my concerns. All I have to say is that after the one night we spent at this hotel , sunwing switched us to Grande memories instead because there was no way we would be okay sleeping and eating in a hotel like this...

This hotel is in BADDD need of a whole reno and management team. our concerns were ignored the whole day..nothing was being done and we had no choice but to either go back home or switch hotels.

Please read these reviews and dont skip them..I did that same mistake and took the reviews lightly and we suffered.

18  Thank Kelly N

Reviewed July 10, 2015

I stayed at this resort for the second half of a Havana/Varadero split vacation. The resort is run-down—there is no other way to say it, it's a dump. It's dirty, worn out, the staff are lacklustre and it needs an overhaul in management, staff training, customer service and standards of cleanliness. We checked in early (due to an early transfer) and our room was not ready—which is totally acceptable. However, what is not acceptable is to refuse to give us a towel to use the pool or beach for the four hour wait for our room. Only after mentioning it was poor customer service did the front desk lady call the towel hut and very rudely complain about me to the man giving out the towels and roll her eyes and shoot me dirty looks. Great first impression. That said, the towel dude was a sweetie and Iberostar should be ashamed of themselves for NEVER having clean beach/pool towels available to guests. We used the same towels for 4 days as did every other guest who was turned away repeatedly. I'm pretty sure the initial towel we got was dirty as well—it smelled musty and like a dirty towel. Disgusting. The rooms were run-down and bordering dirty. I found a silverfish in my bed on the second night, the sheets were never cleaned and felt sandy and there was a god awful plastic sheet over the mattress which basically made it impossible not to sweat to death even in the AC. On the last day I got the nerve up to move it and, of course, there were signs of bed bugs. Blood stains and trails. I was freaked out the rest of the stay. The shower was old and rusted and had to be used as a hand held since it was broken, the towels were never really clean and the toilet wouldn't flush until the third try—every time. The only plus was that our AC worked and we had a little balcony. We also basically bribed the maid with pesos to keep the mini-bar stocked—which was expected— and she was a good sport about it, leaving us funny swan sculptures. The hallways were dirty—the same dishes and beer cups/cans sat in the stairwells of building 11 for days. I'm actually surprised I didn't see any roaches due to this. Lots of snacks for the lizards though. The pools were nice, but again, lacked cleanliness. We clued in after day one that the bar pool was gross—the tiles were slimey and I burned my bottom on what looked to be chlorine or bleach pellets on one of the seats in the pool. I also don't think it's appropriate to have small children allowed in the pool where the bar is and where adults are swearing, smoking and generally hammered. We moved to a pool behind our building next to the snack bar and that seemed to be the cleanest spot in the resort. The pool was clean, there was a nice man getting people chair cushions, the snack bar folks were friendly and the bathrooms were clean. Overall, the rest of the resort was filthy—no paper towels, often no toilet paper, no soap in any public washrooms—including the lobby washrooms. No ac in public places other than the a la carte restos (which it was questionable it was on) and the lobby store. The buffet food was ok—better than I had expected—but there were flies everywhere, birds landing in the food and cutlery, plates, etc. were often hard to find or not even there. I was careful what I ate since I've been on resorts before, but it was alright. The a la carte restaurants were mediocre. The Japanese was ok, but a lot of frozen veggies which was a disappointment. The Romantico was looking up since the appetizer was great, but my lamb main was vomit worthy. It tasted like they cooked frozen veggies and dumped a can of Chunky Beef Stew in a bowl. It went right through me. Gross is an understatement. My friend ate contaminated chicken at the beach grill—the same tongs used for everything—and had horrible food poisoning the last two days so I spent half of my time on the resort alone. Fun times. I am just overall so unimpressed with the staff, the customer service, the lack of friendliness, cleanliness and that this resort has the nerve to rate itself as a five star. Even more humourous are the signs all over the front desk to rate them on Trip Advisor while offering piss poor service. The positives I took away from this were the beach—which was amazing (no thanks to Iberostar), the staff at the beach bar, the pizza lady (who seemed like the only person halfway conscious of food safety), and the bus driver taking us the hell outta there. I totally get that the Cuban economy is in rough shape—I get that supplies may be limited, etc., but it is no excuse for dirty bathrooms, building, towels, sheets, etc. I understand not being able to update as well, but at least make an effort. I gladly tipped, sometimes when the service wasn't even warranted. Maybe that's the problem. This resort and it's staff have become complacent. I'll never return and will tell anyone who will listen not to waste their money in this dump.

Room tip: Don't go.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends