Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Inge D
traveller

Budget hotel not 5*

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 15, 2015
Food was the biggest disappointment. It ranged from bad to inedible, especially in the "fine dining" restaurants. Cocktails are made with cheap sugary additives, wine is watered down ( I believe ) and of lowest quality.
Even as an independent, top price paying guest I was given a mouldy, dark room. Observing reception, this seems to be the practice so that you have to come back and ask for a better room which is then supposed to be rewarded with a generous tip.
The nightly entertainment is so bad ( mostly) that I walked away angry as I felt insulted yet again!
The side pools and the beach were nice.
If you are not a budget traveler on a cheap package deal, stay away, far away!
Date of stay: July 2015
Room Tip: In the side wings, near the small pools, higher floors only
Trip type: Travelled solo
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
2.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded Jul 17, 2015
"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Free parking
      Restaurant
      View more hotels in Varadero
      12,184 results
      All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
      Selected filters
      Reviewed July 13, 2015

Having just returned I would strongly advise anyone not to go to this hotel? the food is at best atrocious, the hotel it self is clean and some of the staff are friendly but most are very ignorant. The rooms are cleaned daily but the cleaner struggles to crack a smile, the restaurant is infested with flies and they do not use the air conditioning in the restaurant, there is also birds flying about the buffet and picking at the food but nothing is ever done about this or the amount of flies at every table, you will struggle to find a clean plate when there is plates available as we had to wait for plates on more than one occasion.

15  Thank David B
      Director D, Director General at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 13, 2015

We visited this resort with 2 other couples. We initially were put in the 1900 block of rooms and our room was so mold infested and dirty. We asked to be placed into another room but staff would not accommodate us. Day two we asked our sunwing rep and showed him our room and he was very upset over the conditions and moved us immediately to block 1700 and it was much much better. The resort is huge, entertainment was totally awesome. Food was just OK. A la carts were really good, we had the Cuban, Japanese and Romantica and all were nice. The resort seems too big for it's own good though because there is very little staff assistance, long lines to get simple foods such as the pizza and pasta, no coral at the beach which meant no snorkeling :( Lots of seating and shade for the beach and the pools so that was nice. All in all I would say it was a decent resort but quite costly for what it offered. And if we had not been moved from the first room, our trip would have been terrible.

Date of stay: February 2015
      • Trip type: Travelled with friends
      6  Thank Huanu

Wish you all the best

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 12, 2015

We just returned from a one week family vacation and loved every minute of the trip! Our room was clean and comfortable and the service was outstanding. So many good shows in the evening and fun by the pool during the day. We got the name and number of a taxi driver and used his services everyday to run into Varadero. My father required a wheelchair and the guest services provided one without charge for the week.
      The people of Cuba are lovely and the country is beautiful. My son enjoyed the Spanish lessons and ordering fruit punch at the pool. The entertainment staff was very enthusiastic and made each day fun. Please don't compare Cuba and this resort to the big American ones most people are accustomed to. It is a great hotel and the people, I believe, work very hard to give you the best they can. Come to Cuba with an open mind and enjoy the music, the people and the experience.

5  Thank 13mgm
      Director D, Director General at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2015

"Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed July 12, 2015

We stayed here as a family end of June I had read the reviews before coming and unfortunately they were all true. I am not a fussy person and have travelled to many countries and backpacked around Australia and Asia I have seen some sites but this hotel more a 3 star not a 4 or 5 star standards are very low.

On arrival they did not offer a drink no air con in main foyer was hot and uncomfortable you could not sit here at night and enjoy a cocktail as too hot.
      Reception staff very slow and not helpfull served other guests while checking us in they need more staff on front desk to cope.

Our rooms we could live with but badly needs refurbishment, bathrooms were nice we did have a toilet seat but stains on chairs, mirrors covered in paint, the towels were worse old and had old stains on them and in short supply, my sister had holes in her bed sheets and my mum had ants in her room, aircon is very loud when you complain at this hotel we were all ignored nothing gets done.
      The grounds were nice and pool area was good we could have lived with the room but the worst was the food areas flies all over the food no containers to cover the food I ordered a pizza at the pool restaurant there were at least 10 flies sitting on my pizza the cook did nothing to shoo them away they were everywhere also birds in food area we had to eat with our napkin over our food.

Staff were rude and unhelpful we had'nt changed our money when arrived and my friend offered English coins to the man who too her bags and his relpy was rude, but not all staff were rude my maid was very nice but my mum had a bad experience with a maid at the buffet who was extremely rude. They dont have enough plates and cups so go early as they quickly run out.
      The Italian is not good either the soup is like water and the pasta awful. I know food in Cuba is not great but the other hotel seemed to do a much better job.

Lucky for us we managed to get moved to a lovely hotel with nice staff, good food and no flies. Our holiday rep was very good and the pool bar guy Kenzie really nice. Our first Iberostar and our last.

Date of stay: June 2015
      6  Thank GlasgowMinnie

Reviewed July 12, 2015

Let me start off by warning you all that my review will be long and detailed..however I highly recommend fully reading this before making any decision to book this hotel.

My family and I (9 people) booked this hotel a month prior to leaving to varadero. I have been to this ho tel before and I loved it and so I had recommended it to the rest of my family. So all 9 of us book ..little did we know we were booking a hotel of pure nightmare.

Let me start off with the moment we arrived. We waited.. AN HOUR AND A HALF...yes an hour and a half to get to check into our rooms..granted it was not even busy at front desk...why it took an hour and a half? who knows. Anyhow..after our dreaded wait to simply check into our rooms in a lobby that literally has no A/C , only one room was ready and we had to wait for the other rooms. A family member of mine has a disability and we had booked her a accessibility room ONE MONTH PRIOR. so..if we booked 1 WHOLE MONTH PRIOR , why is it that when we arrived..there was nothing there for us ...there was no disability room and nothing was booked ...How unorganized.

Finally after getting our rooms we went up to check them out. the smell of MOLD literally drenched our rooms and the hallway. but we thought it must be from the Cuban weather , my family had 5 rooms in total...EACH ROOM HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT.
      let me start with my list of how bad the rooms were.
      1. Shower head in the accessibility room (that we finally got ) was broken ...
      2.there was GREEN..yes I said it..GREEN mold on the robes... (this was in 2/5 rooms)
      3. shower heads were broken and hardly any water coming out
      4. I found BUGS in my bed...TONS of them.. as well as on the furniture
      5. dirty and stained sheets in ALL 5 ROOMS
      6. our room cards kept deactivating themselves and we went up and down to the lobby i think at least 12 times.
      7. no towels in the bathroom and the towels are so thin and worn out we cant even use them to dry ourselves.
      8. stained sheets, stained pillows, mold smell in all 5 rooms
      9. AC broke in 2/5 rooms
      10. each room got switched at least twice that half day that we were there..

We spent ALL day changing rooms instead of being in the pool or beach. Aside from the rooms let me move on to the rest of the issues in this hotel.

every complaint we made to front desk was written down..we were refused MANY times to speak to a manager...manager is literally never there and that is so hard to believe. every complaint we make does not matter to them..they brush it off find a temporary solution and then we find an even bigger problem. no manager to speak too...that is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

the food at the buffet reminded me of jail food. First of all the dining hall itself is so dark and depressing .and the food there is SO BAD. i have been to cuba many times and I fully understand that they are not famous for their food but this place....the food was so low quality i refused to eat anything but bread and butter. The one hot dog i tried to eat was literally three different temperatures...hot, cold and warm.
      There were SOOOO many flies and bugs in the food and the food literally smelt like it was rotting away.. the reason why is because for some reason they dont have AC in the dining hall either so all the food is sitting in this drenched and sticky heat ...

Next is the service...which surprised me the most. No one that works there cares. I ask for a cup of water in the lobby and they say they cant give me water...only juice or alcohol. THEY LITERALLY COULD NOT GIVE US CUPS OF WATER IN THE LOBBY OR BAR...WHY?!

The workers there do not care about anyone..even when we tipped the bell boy 4 dollars he looked at it and shook his head because he was not happy with his tip.

I can go on and on and on about how bad this hotel is but ive named most of my concerns. All I have to say is that after the one night we spent at this hotel , sunwing switched us to Grande memories instead because there was no way we would be okay sleeping and eating in a hotel like this...

This hotel is in BADDD need of a whole reno and management team. our concerns were ignored the whole day..nothing was being done and we had no choice but to either go back home or switch hotels.

Please read these reviews and dont skip them..I did that same mistake and took the reviews lightly and we suffered.

18  Thank Kelly N