Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
George Nastamagou
Toronto, Canada

Stay away from Cuba

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Feb 21, 2024
I have been going to this resort for a few years on February 12, 2024 myself my two nephews and my sister all took a trip there and we told the boys how great this place was the food everything and it was that’s why we went there after year boy did we get shocked the service was bad dishes were broken. They still serve with them chips and and cups no more water and pop and beer in your fridges. They serve you filtered water holes in their ice cubes and it’s meant to be safe to drink the resort had no pop the food was really nasty, nothing to do they’re just into money now everybody has a cell phone or all dress well so what a fakeness going on however, we complained for three days so they transferred us to another iberostsr and it was OK. Food was eatable. They had drinks after a group of people complain for three days. They then started getting pop , I will never go to Cuba ever again in my life it’s not what it used to be like they’re just out for themselves money and a lot of scamming and a lot of thieving. It was very sad to see so my advice to you is if you wanted good trip, go anywhere else, but Cuba or any iberostar chain resort in any Caribbean country or you gonna get scammed that’s The discos are not opened up the shows that they used to do are at par some of my really boring. I’m really amazed that it’s a family resort and you have no soft drinks for the kids nothing to do but yet you’ll serve glasses with chips on them, say the kid cut himself there’s no safety there’s no concern for the people that are spending their money to go to this resort just no care and they’re extremely rude and never used to be like this so please don’t waste your money. going to this place ( man) Paul and if you go to Market Street you see a lot of cops most of the shops there are closed I believe that the travel industry knows about this but doesn't tell us the truth so we can make a decision for ourselves money hungry that's they do this see those two nephews I was talking about they just lost there mom my sister at 59 and they live with me know and this was there first trip out of Canada first time on a plane me and my sister wanted to take there mind off of what happened because they were dealing with a lot so we were telling them about the amazing resort Iberostar grand azul they couldn't wait to see it one nephew didn't leave his room for three days we ate bread like everyone else we ran into people that had the same disappointment they two were long time customers so please don't waste your time
Trip type: Travelled with family
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded Feb 27, 2024
Dear guest,
On behalf of the entire Team, we would like to express our regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations on this occasion.
We have taken care to share each of your comments with the hotel management and relevant departments in order that all the investigations and changes can be made as soon as possible and our quality standards can be rechecked.
Safeguarding your preference is very important to us. We hope you will give us the opportunity to surprise you with our progress in the near future.
C$65
Beachfront
C$41
17.4 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
Beachfront
Patio trasero de la casa
C$34
C$162
12.8 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
View more hotels in Varadero
12,189 results
All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed February 21, 2024 via mobile

If you have questions I have answers.
The woman who reviewed before me mostly said it all. Beach beach beach and warm friendly people is what it’s all about. If you are easy going and easy to please and don’t require gourmet food, this resort is just fine. Besides with the shortages now and talking to people who stayed at more expensive resorts, the food there wasn’t any better. They pay more for decor, newness of resort etc. We stayed in building 20 top floor (Relax section)with ocean view from our balcony. It was nice to have special access to a separate restaurant and pool. No elevators work at this resort so any mobility issues book ground floor. Thank you to the pool/beach staff engaging us. Our favorite night was the beach party. The shows were pretty good even though short. Especially the magic show. Well done. if you require coffee every day bring your own. And just bring some of your favorite snacks and soda if you require mix. You won’t starve in Cuba that’s for sure but you will definitely miss the beach and ocean when you leave. This resort was always improving the beach for its guests and getting chairs was never an issue. Did not have to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve.

Room tip: Relax area was worth the few extra $. Bring your own favorite snacks and soda. Bring coffee.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2024

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing this helpful feedback with other travelers. We will be honored to have you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2024

This place is very run down.
I was put in the wrong section for what I paid for. They made it a hassle to change.
When I checked in, they did give me my wifi password, times that anything was happening (hard to find the info), etc. I had to go back and wait 30 minutes for them to print out my info.
None of the elevators worked and my room was missing light bulbs.
The bathtub was difficult to get in and out of, the shampoo dispenser was at the sink and the hand soap in the shower (mounted to the wall). They only gave you bath towels…no hand towels or face cloths. You have to pay a $15US deposit for the beach towel (each). Watch out for the one towel guy as he is willing to put on his own show for you.
It says it has a mini fridge but they don’t put anything in it. My balcony door would not lock so I shoved a chair into the track.
The largest pool didn’t have any water in it.
As the days went on, they were running out of more and more things. No pop, no mint for mojitos, no mix for pina colada or margaritas, no eggs…one day, they said no ice!
You have to search for the place to book your a la carte ….it is a single person in a back room and the wait can be forever.
The shows are 30 minutes and average. The singing was better than the dancing.
Many bars close at 4 and then you are waiting for a single person trying to make drinks for everyone (especially difficult since he has to keep saying “no” to everyone as they don’t have the needed ingredients).
The buffet food was horrible. Things were not labeled at all or incorrectly. I have a food allergy and more than once I found seafood in dishes that were labeled vegetarian or chicken.
I was a solo traveler. Getting service at times was very difficult and frustrating.
The relax section was quite nice. Would have been better with some more service.

Room tip: Take bug spray. Don’t echange for local currency, they want US, EURO, CAD. The hop on, hop off bus, some only cash, some only credit cards.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Heather G
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2024

Dear Heather,
On behalf of our Team, we would like to say how sorry we are that we were unable to provide you with an experience that met your expectations.
As part of Iberostar family on this beautiful island, the opinions of our guests are an important reference for our daily operations. We will do everything in our power to win you over with the personalized service we work so hard to provide.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to surprise you with positive changes in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2024 via mobile

It’s horrible, even got clothes stolen in my room by the staff, the food is very bad, close to no meat and don’t have eggs for breakfast, and I got diarrhea several times, they can’t even make a mojito due to lack of ingredients, the sea view suite have excavator working outside making a lot of noise starting 08 in the morning, I highly recommend ppl to stay away from this hotel, it’s by far not a 5 star hotel

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank thomasaC5642FN
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2024

Dear Thomas,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to share this feedback. In response to the seriousness of your concerns we must highlight that as a hotel responsible for your safety and well-being during your stay we implemented all the protocols established for this type of incident. This included scanning of your room key and an interview with the housekeeper.
As a last resort we offered you the possibility to contact the local authorities but unfortunately you declined. We regret that despite our efforts we were not able to get your holiday back on track.
We hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed February 8, 2024

We went in with little expectations and was throughly disappointed. Was a gift from my husband for our 25th wedding anniversary and was ver excited. At the resort gave the buffet the benefit of the doubt the 1st night as we arrived late-mostly veggies. The next morning the “eggs” were cold and noticed all of the hot food warmers weren’t working so all the hot foods were cold. Great bread but no butter, the juices were watered down and there was minimal meat. I know people say don’t go to Cuba for the food but to me I go somewhere and it should be food and culture, the full package. Hotel and staff were pretty good but like I said won’t be going back.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Stephanie M
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2024

Dear Stephanie,
We are saddened to learn that we failed to provide you with a culinary experience that lived up to your expectations. We assure you that we will do our utmost to find solutions as soon as possible.
Our Team will be honored to have a second opportunity to conquer you with a better experience in the near future.

Reviewed February 1, 2024

My friend and I as well as her grandparents stayed 7 nights here in May of 2023. We overall enjoyed our time in Cuba however the resort definitely had its flaws. If you are aware of them and are not expecting 5 star services as advertised you would probably love this resort.

The rooms were very neglected, especially on the ground floor which we initially chose because her grandfather has trouble with stairs. The hallways were dark and dingy, our patio door wouldn't close let alone lock, and in her grandparent's room, the bathroom doorknob was missing and the safe wouldn't work. However, the service was good and we were able to get someone to fix it fairly quickly and when that didn't work out we were able to move rooms without too much trouble. The upstairs rooms were much better - dated, but functional and clean which was completely fine. The elevators were also rickety and my friend and I ended up getting stuck on one that kept going up and down until it finally stopped and let us out.

The food + drinks. Cuba understandably has shortages so certain days there weren't eggs available, etc. but overall disregarding that, the food was just alright. It was a little bland but there was usually a decent variety of options. We loved the guy who cooked pasta fresh to order! Don't know his name but he was very kind. I'm a vegetarian and it was pretty limited, but not impossible - rice and beans, plenty of vegetables, fruits, pasta, eggs, etc. But there was also certain things that were annoying such as chickpeas/beans being cooked with pork. There were birds/bugs in the buffet area as well but I'm not sure if that's just normal in tropical resorts. The food got cold very quickly and was usually cold unless you went right at opening. Be sure to bring some of your own sauces and you should be good though! The 24 hour snack bars also did not have much variety at all, sometimes you could get fries or a hot dog. We brought some snacks from home and it was a good idea. There were also limited drinks (non-alcoholic) besides water and some fruit juices. The a la carte restaurants were disappointing. One of them was mismarked on the map and we got very lost looking for it, and the options for main courses were limited and bland. I enjoyed the bars, the lobby bar as well as the swim up bar were good - again there were shortages, but that isn't the fault of the resort itself. Just be prepared that there may not be vodka and that they may have things one day and not the next day. Sometimes by the end of the night they would even run out of coke for a rum & coke.

Entertainment was good when there was some. We went to a few shows and they were decent, and there was often live music in the evenings on the patio bar which was lovely. However on the nights where there wasn't a show there was not much going on at all in terms of nightlife. We also went on the catamaran excursion and Havana excursion - not exclusive to this resort, but both of them were awesome.

The resort itself is beautiful, the beach and pool were absolutely amazing. Pool wasn't perfect as there was some tiles missing but other than that it was great. The beach was beautiful with plenty of seating and a bar.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone we spoke to in Cuba was kind and seemed genuine and that is certainly a highlight of the trip for us.

Overall, as long as you are aware of and okay with the shortages that Cuba has as well as the dated rooms/equipment, this is a beautiful place and you could definitely enjoy a week here.

Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kiwilemonades
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2024

Dear guest,
Thank you for trusting us your holidays in Cuba and for helping us to improve with your detailed feedback. We will do our best to surprise you with positive changes in the near future.