Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Francis
Longueuil, Canada

A memorable week with friends

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Feb 25, 2024
A memorable week with friends !!!
We had an exceptional week !
The hotel employees were very nice, especially the entertainment team. They found a way to entertain us and make us dance all week long. They made us feel comfortable and took the time to teach us the dances.
We fell in love with the entertainment team !!!
We will definitely go back !
Thank you so much !! :)
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Responded Feb 27, 2024
Dear guest,
Thank you for trusting us these holidays with your friends. We will be honored to have you back.

C$81
      C$38
    18.8 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
    View more hotels in Varadero
    12,184 results
    All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
    Selected filters
    Reviewed February 25, 2024

Just returned to Canada from a week at this resort (Feb 17-24). Travelled as a group of 7 (23-25 y/o). Staff at the resort were wonderful, very kind and helpful. Our maid was a sweetheart- although I tipped extremely well ($10 US/day) and DID NOT receive any fresh towels during our stay, we had to use the same 2 all week, despite requesting them numerous times/leaving the dirty ones in the bathtub. But I did receive extra bottles of water everyday which was wonderful. Otherwise you get 1-2 bottles a day in the room- which really is not enough when having full days in the sun.

ROOM- Our room was in poor shape. Upon arrival we were given a dirty room- Pillows covered in makeup and food- I had to go to the front desk to request new pillows at 10pm at night after a full day of travelling, bed was full of sand-sheets had not been changed.
    Obvious water damage to the walls along the washroom- whenever we showered, water would leak through the wall onto the floor of our room. Mold around all the vents in the room and I can only imagine what it looked like behind the walls with the active leak. I found 3 cockroaches in our room during our week there. I requested to change to a new room if possible but staff stated that the hotel was overbooked so it was not possible. We made the best of it, but I was extremely disappointed.

FOOD- I have heard many times- you don't go to Cuba for the food- that is an understatement. We filled half a suitcase with snacks and condiments and that made it better. Bring PB, Jam and Ketchup! Food was often cold at the buffet stations, very poor tasting. We lived off of pizza, hot dogs and pasta. Very poor selection of fruits and vegetables. We had coffee, eggs and meat (chicken or fish) daily which was good.
    Saw many cockroaches at the buffet- I lifted a plate at the dessert bar and one scurried from under it. Watched cockroaches scurry along the cabinets behind the food service area/grill many days during the stay. I understand it is a tropical climate and they are more prevalent there but around food? If you see them during the day... there are many more and it is a serious health issue that needs to be addressed.
    The Japanese A La Carte was the best tasting food, the chefs were awesome! BUT there were roaches everywhere, squashed on the floor, sat down at my spot and there was one on my plate, saw them crawling on the floor and on the underside of the grills at the table. We were the first sitting of the night, and they had preset the tables so 100% the roaches were all over the plates and cutlery all day. Watched the staff flick the lights before opening the restaurant- this is 100% to try and clear the roaches as they don't like light. But despite this I saw >10 cockroaches while there for the a la carte. This restaurant needs to be closed until the roach issue is controlled.

BAR- They are doing their best with what they have/can get in. Pina Colada only available one day of the week we were there. Mojito a few of the days. Majority of the week it was rum and whatever juice they had available. They often had sprite and fanta, cola was hit and miss. If one bar area did not have, likely the buffet or another bar did.

The beach was beautiful, water crystal blue, lots of chairs. But we wore our sandals as there are out of place rocks/some with metal (rusty) at some spots. Saw pushed up piles of sand on the beach-With rusty metal in it.

Pool- the pool with the bar has reopened- bar staff are awesome. Entertainment at the pool is so fun. But- despite just redoing this pool, the bottom is full of sand/pieces of tile and grout- it wasn't cleaned before reopening it/was not vacuumed during our week there. Adjacent pool is now drained and they are beginning its reno.

The entertainment shows at night were well done. We went every night and were always impressed, especially the dancing shows. The magic show was also very good.
    The disco was fun.

Overall we made the best of it and had fun as a group. We made some good memories! The resort grounds themselves are gorgeous. The people are wonderful and the beach is beautiful. But the food and the state of our room were disappointing. I felt the experience overall was not worth what we paid to go.

Room tip: Bring snacks and condiments. Bring face cloths. Bring your own beach towels
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    2  Thank Alannah B
    Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2024

Dear Alannah,
    We really appreciate the time you take to tell us about your experience, as we know that listening to our guests is the only way we can meet their expectations. We are working systematically and with great determination on the basis of your observations, in order to surprise you with our progress if you give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 24, 2024

Disappointed. Don't plan to return to Cuba. The resort is beautiful on the outside as is the lobby but the rooms/hallways need to be updated/painted. Mold in the washroom, saw cockroaches, broken pieces. Safe didn't work. Fridge didn't work and was empty. Had to ask for water. No towels upon arrival. They provided only 2 bath towels daily...no hand/face towels. Lights in the hallway were out and not replaced all week....very dark and had to use flashlight at night. One of the two main pools was empty all week. Construction on the beach. The noise and fumes were unbearable. This work should have been done during off-season. As for food, we were fortunate to have fresh eggs every day but only for fried eggs. For omelettes and other egg dishes, they used powered/dehydrated eggs. No coffee for 2 days. Alcoholic drinks and beer were a hit and miss. Lots of rice & beans but no potatoes. Great choice of bread but no butter. Rarely had dishes with beef and when they did it was more sauce/veggies than meat, including chicken. Snack bar was terrible...very little selection and ran out of food quickly. Service at buffet was incredibly slow. What a shame. Definitely not worth what I paid for.

Room tip: The beach is not very big. If you want to get a chair, make sure you reserve it early, especially on Sundays.
    2  Thank Maria G
    Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2024

Dear Maria,
    Dear Maria,
    On behalf of the whole team we offer you our sincere apologies for not having been able to offer you the holiday you had hoped for.
    We are working on the basis of your feedback to implement all the changes we can. We assure you that we will surprise you with a much better stay if you change your mind about visiting us again.

Reviewed February 24, 2024

Get ready for an unforgettable experience! My Christmas and New Year's at Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero were nothing short of spectacular! From the moment I walked in, the explosive warmth of the staff, including the incredible entertainers like Yandy aka Candy Boy, Carlos, Joshua, Lázaro, KingKong, Ernesto, and sexy Alex, just to name a few, created an unforgettable experience. As a solo traveler, I never felt alone, thanks to their engaging activities and welcoming energy. The strong connections I formed with everyone, especially the entertainment team, made this one of the best experiences of my life. The plenty and variety of food, including fish, meat, veggies, desserts, and drinks, were delightful. Daily events kept me busy, and a special shoutout to Marino (entertainment manager) for organizing everything seamlessly.

Moreover, the rooms were always impeccably clean and tidy. Whenever I needed something, the staff attended to it right away, adding an extra layer of comfort to my stay. Laguna Azul is a must-go-to resort that deserves every bit of its 5-star rating. Can't wait for my next visit!

Date of stay: December 2023
    • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Aaliah,
    We are delighted to learn that your experience in our hospitality was so special. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2024

We have been to this resort approx 7 times. In the past we looked past the quirks such as last years toilet paper shortage and the usual broken elevators - because overall we made things livable and made exceptions and the beach was worth it

I have to say this was the worst vacation I have ever been on in my life. I will put this in point form:

DRINKS
    - No coffee
    - no soft drinks
    - no juice other than papaya and mango
    - no limes or lemons
    - I don't drink beer, so drank water for most of the vacation.

FOOD
    - most days they used powdered eggs - no fresh eggs available
    - the food, which I normally can always find something I like, - I can only describe it this time as pig slop - and I don't say that lightly. Only 1/3 of the food available from our experience in past years. Hardly any meat and the meat that was there was shredded and swimming in sauces with other mush. I asked to speak to the Chef but he wouldn't come and talk to me.
    - 24 hour snack bar - they only make 3 things, hot dogs hamburgers, pizza, but they would only make 1 item at a time. To avoid the buffet, I tried the snack bar and got a barely warmed steamed hot dog put in a hamburger bun. The snack bar is not willing to make even the minimal items they offer.

RESORT
    - not 1 elevator in hotel was working - and we were on 5th floor.
    - Lighting - in the common outside area, lights are always burnt out making it very dangerous to walk at night.
    - Lighting - the huge lights in the lobby look like they have never been cleaned, there are so many dead insects in them, they appear black.
    - the main pool was emptied of water for repair. In the week we were there, we saw no work being done on this at all.

Also every year, the resort removes items that they previously offered. From when we first started staying there - there are no longer coffee makers in the room, no robes in the room, no appreciation event for repeat customers, no soft drinks or beer in the room fridge, no bottle of rum in the room for repeat customers. Not essential - but worth mentioning.

BEACH
    CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT ?? We come to this resort for the beautiful beach, but this time, they decided to do construction work on the beach in Feb prime time with road equipment - full size front end loader, back hoe, grader which operated must of the day spewing diesel fumes and noise for 4 of the 7 days of our stay. 1 day, they quit working and just parked the construction equipment on the beach in between the loungers and the ocean completely blocking the view. This should have been done in off season.

I have totally lost my trust in this resort and in Cuba. Vacations cost a lot of money, I will never return because I will never take the chance that this will happen again. I am not sure why there are shortages of some things like coffee - in a country that produces coffee, but the choice to have heavy construction equipment on the beach in Feb prime vacation time, instead of off-season is a management decision, they obviously do not care if their guests have an enjoyable vacation.

We could hardly wait to leave and go home.

6  Thank Anola64
    Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2024

Dear Anola,
    First of all, we would like to thank you for once again entrusting us with your stay in Varadrero.
    The hotel management and the responsible departments are working with a strong commitment to address all the solutions within our reach as soon as possible. Your loyalty and preference is very important to us. We will do our best to show you our progress on your next visit. Our staff will be delighted to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 21, 2024

I have been going to this resort for a few years on February 12, 2024 myself my two nephews and my sister all took a trip there and we told the boys how great this place was the food everything and it was that’s why we went there after year boy did we get shocked the service was bad dishes were broken. They still serve with them chips and and cups no more water and pop and beer in your fridges. They serve you filtered water holes in their ice cubes and it’s meant to be safe to drink the resort had no pop the food was really nasty, nothing to do they’re just into money now everybody has a cell phone or all dress well so what a fakeness going on however, we complained for three days so they transferred us to another iberostsr and it was OK. Food was eatable. They had drinks after a group of people complain for three days. They then started getting pop , I will never go to Cuba ever again in my life it’s not what it used to be like they’re just out for themselves money and a lot of scamming and a lot of thieving. It was very sad to see so my advice to you is if you wanted good trip, go anywhere else, but Cuba or any iberostar chain resort in any Caribbean country or you gonna get scammed that’s The discos are not opened up the shows that they used to do are at par some of my really boring. I’m really amazed that it’s a family resort and you have no soft drinks for the kids nothing to do but yet you’ll serve glasses with chips on them, say the kid cut himself there’s no safety there’s no concern for the people that are spending their money to go to this resort just no care and they’re extremely rude and never used to be like this so please don’t waste your money. going to this place ( man) Paul and if you go to Market Street you see a lot of cops most of the shops there are closed I believe that the travel industry knows about this but doesn't tell us the truth so we can make a decision for ourselves money hungry that's they do this see those two nephews I was talking about they just lost there mom my sister at 59 and they live with me know and this was there first trip out of Canada first time on a plane me and my sister wanted to take there mind off of what happened because they were dealing with a lot so we were telling them about the amazing resort Iberostar grand azul they couldn't wait to see it one nephew didn't leave his room for three days we ate bread like everyone else we ran into people that had the same disappointment they two were long time customers so please don't waste your time

2  Thank I5148OSpaulp

Dear guest,
    On behalf of the entire Team, we would like to express our regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations on this occasion.
    We have taken care to share each of your comments with the hotel management and relevant departments in order that all the investigations and changes can be made as soon as possible and our quality standards can be rechecked.
    Safeguarding your preference is very important to us. We hope you will give us the opportunity to surprise you with our progress in the near future.