Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Yves N
Ottawa, Canada

Very pleased!!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 19, 2024
Beach second to none
Staff best of the best!!
Friendly friendly friendly
Yuri and Raoul are now family to us!!
Food was acceptable.. it is Cuba 🇨🇺
After all. Drinks and beer were always available although the Cristal ran out a few times.. but paranda was always available!!
This is the first Cuban resort we have been at that does not run out of mint for mojitos!! They grow there own and have tons!! They provide us with the best they have..
come prepared salt pepper ketchup mustard …
I would rate this resort a 4.5 very good for Cuba..
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Be generous with staff. tips are very much appreciated ! And service becomes Outstanding!! Make...
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded Mar 22, 2024
Dear Yves,
Thank you for trusting us your holidays. We cannot wait to have you back.
C$89
17.3 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
Restaurant
View more hotels in Varadero
12,214 results
All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed March 18, 2024

Amazing service. The staff is great anything we need was done for us. Room was very clean. The food is great we had prosciutto, potatoes tomatoes everyday, all food was fresh, grilled chicken, fish and more nothing was missing. We definitely did not starve. We want to thank Dania and Yuri and Dennis for attending to our needs. This is our 4th time at this hotel, the first time we came was 2011. Staff treats us like family.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2024

Dear Mary,
Counting with the reference of special guests as you is the most important recognition we can receive. Thank you for letting us be part of your happy memories.

Reviewed March 17, 2024

I stayed at Laguna Azul with my brother and 3 children March 7-14. The hotel grounds are very nice and they have been working to improve some of the older pools so they are nice. The beach is great and my kids had lots of fun collecting shells.
The rooms are older and showing it with some musty smell but if you aren’t picky (we aren’t) that’s fine and they still have nice bathrooms and lots of space. The hotel cleaning staff were great and always tidying and washing which was good to see. We were in building 10 which was nice and quiet. Rooms were well soundproofed I was never bothered by noise. The two times we needed assistance maintenance came within 15 mins. Better lighting at night around the paths and pools would be a good idea but they seemed to be working on that while we were there which was good to see.
The biggest detracting factor is the food. The 24 hour snack bar often only had one item with few or no condiments. The worst day was the one they had hot dogs but no buns. The only things I would eat from the buffet were things I saw them cook for us from the grill and pasta station and maybe the salad bar. Otherwise you can tell they reuse whatever food didn’t get eaten in the previous meal in the next one. The only food I would miss from Cuba is the ice cream but we were only able to get this at the buffet the ice cream station near the pool was never open the whole time we were there. The a la carte restaurants were okay but you can tell they use the same ingredients as the buffet. The Japanese one was a fun experience but overall I won’t miss the food in Cuba at all. I know they have shortages and I was prepared for that but I’ve been to Cuba twice before and I can say the food has definitely gotten worse. The lobby bar is nice and always made good coffee.
The other main suggestion I would like to see is an improvement in the pool bathrooms. The lights didn’t work the floors were always soaked, they often had no toilet paper or soap- these bathrooms need to be cleaned every hour.
We took a catamaran excursion to swim with the dolphins which was a highlight for us so I definitely recommend that.

Room tip: Ask for the wifi password when you check in but overall the wifi is very spotty.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer M
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2024

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for entrusting us with your vacation and for your valuable suggestions.
We are sad to read that our culinary offer did not meet your expectations. Our team of chefs is working to surprise you with more variety and quality in the near future.
We apologize for any possible inconvenience and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 16, 2024

I just spent 6 days there with my 2 (adult) kids. It was the second time to Cuba for me, but the first time at this resort. All of the staff, i found them to be polite, helpful and very courteous! The food wasn’t the best, but it’s Cuba, one needs to have low expectations! The elevators were not working, but I can use stairs. There was hardly any waiting at the bars, the staff gets to you rather promptly. There was nothing for nightly entertainment at this resort, unlike another resort that I stayed at 7 years ago. The “shop” at the resort practiced “price gouging”! We lost our sunscreen, so I bought some more there. $27 American for a 250ml size bottle! A bit much if you ask me!

Room tip: Bring a big drink container!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Russell M

Dear Russell,
We are extremely sad that we did not succeed on conquering you with the experience you were expecting. The hotel management and the responsible departments are working on your remarks in order to find them solutions as soon as possible.
We will do our best to be worthy of your preference.

Reviewed March 14, 2024

Just returned home from Iberostar Laguna Azul. Overall an amazing experience, made the best of what they had. Been to Cuba before years ago but things have changed. I'll highlight the goods and bad of my experience.

Food - You do not go to Cuba if you are expecting luxurious, high-quality food. Cuba is experiencing major shortages and after speaking with other people off resort, some had similar quality, some worse and some a tad better. No fresh eggs for the majority of our stay, but just received some on the last two days otherwise the resort uses artificial (powdered) eggs which were decent. My advice is to hit all the A La Carte's during your stay. Food tasted much better! Also, try to upgrade to the relax section. There is a separate restaurant for breakfast and lunch which offers different varieties and quality of food. Snack bar also very good close to beach! Overall, decent food, you will not starve and remember you can enjoy your food once you return home!

Entertainment - The entertainment team were amazing! You will never be bored daytime or nighttime. Constant music playing on both beach and pool, activities offered mornings on the beach then afternoons at the pool. The team always found a way to make us smile, laugh and have a good time. Nightlife was never an issue. Had live musicians and different acts that walked around the lobby. Shows were also good and beach party was fun!

Cleanliness (Pool, Beach, Grounds) - The resort grounds are stunning! Very well maintained and beautiful. Read previous reviews of cockroaches roaming the buffet and rooms, but did not see one! Staff are always cleaning pool and beach area. Nothing beats the beach in Cuba in my opinion. Crystal clear water and white sand. They were doing work on the beach our first day with loud equipment and fumes, but thankfully they did not return for the rest of our trip. We were told in advance that one of the pools was being renovated, but the other pool with the swim-up bar was just fine, no complaints.

Rooms - Rooms seem to be a hit or miss in my opinion. Our room was perfect. We were in building 19, no defects, good water pressure and working toilet. Our friends rooms a few doors down had constant problems with the key and lock, but staff were very quick and attentive to fix the problem. Do not keep your room key next to your phone as it deactivates it! There was a small opening in the sliding door that seemed to be a hot spot for mosquitos so we blocked it with a small towel. Little mold in the bathroom, but were able to look past it for the little time we spent in the rooms. Bed very comfortable, maids always supplied fresh towels and water. I always ask to stay in an upper floor because of previous issues with bugs at other places and also noticed upper floors were lit while the bottom floors had no lights in the hallways. Just be aware that elevators are currently not working

Drinks - Bring your own reusable cup!! A true lifesaver. The Iberostar brand has removed plastic cups and straws from their hotels (what the staff told us) and offer drinks in paper cups that quickly disintegrate and become extremely annoying. Don't expect high quality drinks like in the Dominican or Mexico. Had Pina Coladas for two days then none for the rest. Some days no Vodka. Main drinks in supply are tequila and rum. Relax section has more variety. We were able to find Cola there but not at other bars at the resort. Iced coffees from the lobby bar were amazing!

Staff - The staff went above and beyond! Super friendly and made an effort to remember you by name. I try my best to speak a little Spanish to staff and it made their day every time!

Overall, I would recommend Laguna Azul. Beautiful resort with amazing staff. Had an amazing time with beautiful weather, friends and service. Resort does need some upgrades, but once complete I think it will be a top resort.

Room tip: Bring reusable cups Avoid ground floors if you can Bring gifts for staff if you can
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2024

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing us and for rewarding us with your vote of confidence. It will be an honor to conquer you with our progress in the near future.

Reviewed March 14, 2024

I've been to Cuba before and although I was aware the food wasn't the greatest, I still decided to give it a try. It was nothing short but a nightmare at this resort. Some staff were genuine and nice, whereas others were rude. I had issues with my key cards when I ensured not to make them come into contact with my phone to remagnetize it and each time I returned to my room, I found myself making the trip to the front desk to get a new key. This was irritating, frustrating and annoying. They kept saying they would send the mechanic and they sent him 3 times and of course, his master key worked, but mine did not. Nothing was resolved. Another issue was my room had these black mosquitos, flies, etc., all over! I understood there are bugs given it's a tropical place, but my friends' rooms had none and we were all on the same floor. I found myself getting bit by them and leaving bites all over my body which made my supposed to be relaxed trip, more stressful than ever and bug spray with deet barely worked. I was jumping from bed to bed with my flip flop trying to kill them so I can sleep comfortably and not paranoid about bugs being all over me. They rarely cleaned the rooms and restocked them with water. The AC was not working in my room and with all these issues, the front-desk people said they wouldn't change my room and I would have to wait until a manager was in. I went twice and they kept telling me the same thing and I was very vocal about how uncomfortable and unsatisfied I was with the service. The food shortage was awful. As I mentioned, I've been to Cuba before and I usually would eat a big breakfast and be able to go on about my day. I couldn't stomach the breakfast considering it was powdered eggs, no sausage, bacon, a toaster to even toast bread with. If you're lucky and go at 6:30 for dinner, you'll get chicken. But they only have a certain amount of chicken to give to guests to eat which I think is terrible, not even the basic necessities. The only thing that made up for this trip was how beautiful the beach was - but even for the beach, there was a bulldozer so close to us so forget being relaxed. You heard the sound of the bulldozer which was very annoying and disruptive. The sand was not even and you'll find yourself on an angle ready to fall off your beach chair. It was very disappointing especially since I did my research and this resort was supposed to be rated a 4.5 and it was more like a 2.5/3 in my opinion. I will not be returning.

Room tip: Get beach chairs early. If you are wanting to access internet on your phone, the wi-fi is terrible and will not work, get a data plan.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa M

Dear Lisa,
First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with this detailed feedback, which we will use as a reference to take all actions within our power to ensure that our quality standards are met.
We assure you that we will seek effective and lasting solutions to your observations and apologize for any inconvenience.
We hope you have a safe journey home.