Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
John S
Calgary, Canada

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 23, 2024
Second time visiting wasn’t much better than the first. Food and drinks were scarce. That wasn’t the worst of it though. It was the rude Russians around the resort always being pushy, loud and obnoxious. Several times I saw the locals and Canadian visitors moving to get away from them so we could enjoy what was left of our trip. I don’t think that we will be returning. I know that the staff was working very hard to appease their guests with the constraints that they had in place. Thank you to all of the staff for your hospitality.
Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
4.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded Apr 1, 2024
Dear John,
We are deeply saddened to learn that situations beyond our control overshadowed the enjoyment of your vacation. We hope that you reconsider visiting us again to conquer you with our dedication.

C$82
Pool
Breakfast place
15.0 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
Free parking
Terraza ideal para la lectura, el café en la mañana y el disfrute de las bellezas naturales locales.
15.5 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
17.4 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
15.5 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
View more hotels in Varadero
12,213 results
All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed March 19, 2024

Beach second to none
Staff best of the best!!
Friendly friendly friendly
Yuri and Raoul are now family to us!!
Food was acceptable.. it is Cuba 🇨🇺
After all. Drinks and beer were always available although the Cristal ran out a few times.. but paranda was always available!!
This is the first Cuban resort we have been at that does not run out of mint for mojitos!! They grow there own and have tons!! They provide us with the best they have..
come prepared salt pepper ketchup mustard …
I would rate this resort a 4.5 very good for Cuba..

Room tip: Be generous with staff. tips are very much appreciated ! And service becomes Outstanding!! Make sure you bring enough cash! CAD is welcomed!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2024

Dear Yves,
Thank you for trusting us your holidays. We cannot wait to have you back.

Reviewed March 18, 2024

Amazing service. The staff is great anything we need was done for us. Room was very clean. The food is great we had prosciutto, potatoes tomatoes everyday, all food was fresh, grilled chicken, fish and more nothing was missing. We definitely did not starve. We want to thank Dania and Yuri and Dennis for attending to our needs. This is our 4th time at this hotel, the first time we came was 2011. Staff treats us like family.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2024

Dear Mary,
Counting with the reference of special guests as you is the most important recognition we can receive. Thank you for letting us be part of your happy memories.

Reviewed March 17, 2024

I stayed at Laguna Azul with my brother and 3 children March 7-14. The hotel grounds are very nice and they have been working to improve some of the older pools so they are nice. The beach is great and my kids had lots of fun collecting shells.
The rooms are older and showing it with some musty smell but if you aren’t picky (we aren’t) that’s fine and they still have nice bathrooms and lots of space. The hotel cleaning staff were great and always tidying and washing which was good to see. We were in building 10 which was nice and quiet. Rooms were well soundproofed I was never bothered by noise. The two times we needed assistance maintenance came within 15 mins. Better lighting at night around the paths and pools would be a good idea but they seemed to be working on that while we were there which was good to see.
The biggest detracting factor is the food. The 24 hour snack bar often only had one item with few or no condiments. The worst day was the one they had hot dogs but no buns. The only things I would eat from the buffet were things I saw them cook for us from the grill and pasta station and maybe the salad bar. Otherwise you can tell they reuse whatever food didn’t get eaten in the previous meal in the next one. The only food I would miss from Cuba is the ice cream but we were only able to get this at the buffet the ice cream station near the pool was never open the whole time we were there. The a la carte restaurants were okay but you can tell they use the same ingredients as the buffet. The Japanese one was a fun experience but overall I won’t miss the food in Cuba at all. I know they have shortages and I was prepared for that but I’ve been to Cuba twice before and I can say the food has definitely gotten worse. The lobby bar is nice and always made good coffee.
The other main suggestion I would like to see is an improvement in the pool bathrooms. The lights didn’t work the floors were always soaked, they often had no toilet paper or soap- these bathrooms need to be cleaned every hour.
We took a catamaran excursion to swim with the dolphins which was a highlight for us so I definitely recommend that.

Room tip: Ask for the wifi password when you check in but overall the wifi is very spotty.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer M
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2024

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for entrusting us with your vacation and for your valuable suggestions.
We are sad to read that our culinary offer did not meet your expectations. Our team of chefs is working to surprise you with more variety and quality in the near future.
We apologize for any possible inconvenience and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 16, 2024

I just spent 6 days there with my 2 (adult) kids. It was the second time to Cuba for me, but the first time at this resort. All of the staff, i found them to be polite, helpful and very courteous! The food wasn’t the best, but it’s Cuba, one needs to have low expectations! The elevators were not working, but I can use stairs. There was hardly any waiting at the bars, the staff gets to you rather promptly. There was nothing for nightly entertainment at this resort, unlike another resort that I stayed at 7 years ago. The “shop” at the resort practiced “price gouging”! We lost our sunscreen, so I bought some more there. $27 American for a 250ml size bottle! A bit much if you ask me!

Room tip: Bring a big drink container!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Russell M

Dear Russell,
We are extremely sad that we did not succeed on conquering you with the experience you were expecting. The hotel management and the responsible departments are working on your remarks in order to find them solutions as soon as possible.
We will do our best to be worthy of your preference.

Reviewed March 14, 2024

Just returned home from Iberostar Laguna Azul. Overall an amazing experience, made the best of what they had. Been to Cuba before years ago but things have changed. I'll highlight the goods and bad of my experience.

Food - You do not go to Cuba if you are expecting luxurious, high-quality food. Cuba is experiencing major shortages and after speaking with other people off resort, some had similar quality, some worse and some a tad better. No fresh eggs for the majority of our stay, but just received some on the last two days otherwise the resort uses artificial (powdered) eggs which were decent. My advice is to hit all the A La Carte's during your stay. Food tasted much better! Also, try to upgrade to the relax section. There is a separate restaurant for breakfast and lunch which offers different varieties and quality of food. Snack bar also very good close to beach! Overall, decent food, you will not starve and remember you can enjoy your food once you return home!

Entertainment - The entertainment team were amazing! You will never be bored daytime or nighttime. Constant music playing on both beach and pool, activities offered mornings on the beach then afternoons at the pool. The team always found a way to make us smile, laugh and have a good time. Nightlife was never an issue. Had live musicians and different acts that walked around the lobby. Shows were also good and beach party was fun!

Cleanliness (Pool, Beach, Grounds) - The resort grounds are stunning! Very well maintained and beautiful. Read previous reviews of cockroaches roaming the buffet and rooms, but did not see one! Staff are always cleaning pool and beach area. Nothing beats the beach in Cuba in my opinion. Crystal clear water and white sand. They were doing work on the beach our first day with loud equipment and fumes, but thankfully they did not return for the rest of our trip. We were told in advance that one of the pools was being renovated, but the other pool with the swim-up bar was just fine, no complaints.

Rooms - Rooms seem to be a hit or miss in my opinion. Our room was perfect. We were in building 19, no defects, good water pressure and working toilet. Our friends rooms a few doors down had constant problems with the key and lock, but staff were very quick and attentive to fix the problem. Do not keep your room key next to your phone as it deactivates it! There was a small opening in the sliding door that seemed to be a hot spot for mosquitos so we blocked it with a small towel. Little mold in the bathroom, but were able to look past it for the little time we spent in the rooms. Bed very comfortable, maids always supplied fresh towels and water. I always ask to stay in an upper floor because of previous issues with bugs at other places and also noticed upper floors were lit while the bottom floors had no lights in the hallways. Just be aware that elevators are currently not working

Drinks - Bring your own reusable cup!! A true lifesaver. The Iberostar brand has removed plastic cups and straws from their hotels (what the staff told us) and offer drinks in paper cups that quickly disintegrate and become extremely annoying. Don't expect high quality drinks like in the Dominican or Mexico. Had Pina Coladas for two days then none for the rest. Some days no Vodka. Main drinks in supply are tequila and rum. Relax section has more variety. We were able to find Cola there but not at other bars at the resort. Iced coffees from the lobby bar were amazing!

Staff - The staff went above and beyond! Super friendly and made an effort to remember you by name. I try my best to speak a little Spanish to staff and it made their day every time!

Overall, I would recommend Laguna Azul. Beautiful resort with amazing staff. Had an amazing time with beautiful weather, friends and service. Resort does need some upgrades, but once complete I think it will be a top resort.

Room tip: Bring reusable cups Avoid ground floors if you can Bring gifts for staff if you can
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2024

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing us and for rewarding us with your vote of confidence. It will be an honor to conquer you with our progress in the near future.