Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Mark G

Worst hotel I have stayed in my adult life

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 11, 2024
Do not come.
Rooms are beyond poor condition.
I kid you not a least 150 mosquitos in the room. Look at pictures for the condition.
Had to sleep with sheets over head and still woke with bites

Mattress stained. Ceiling and wall cover is squashed bugs.

4 pools, 2 are adult only, 1 is drained
So only 1 pool kids can use

Food is very poor.
Wife cued 24 mins for a fried egg in the morning. Very limited selection

The al a carte resturants are only part open.

Hotel is in disrepair.
The lifts nearly work and can only be called from certain floors.
Showers round pool don't work

On a plus the WiFi is decent when can get on. The weather is also decent.

Have to pay a $15 deposit at reception on towels. The towel station runs out of towels very quickly so need to be early to get 1.
Date of stay: April 2024
Room Tip: Bring a mosquito net to sleep in rooms are full of them
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
1.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded Apr 12, 2024
Dear Mark,
Thank you for choosing us and for encouraging us to improve with your valuable comments. We will do everything in our power to improve in order to conquer you with if you change your mind about visiting us again. We will not disappoint you.
  • Trip.com
12.1 km from Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul
Pool
View more hotels in Varadero
12,197 results
All reviews lady gaga sexy nancy pizza main pool lobby bar a la carte restaurants fish japanese restaurant main buffet beautiful resort chicken quiet pool fries other resorts recommend this resort entertainment staff bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed April 8, 2024

Just got back from another fun trip to Cuba. Myself and three other lifelong friends stayed at Laguna Azul. The worst part of my trip was having to leave, knowing that I wouldn't be back for about a year. I was there with friends in February 2020 and had planned to return in 2021 but then things shut down. Please read my review from then.

So how did they survive COVID ? Better than expected. Like Bob Dylan once said. “ if you ain’t got nothing, you got nothing to lose “...

I’m pretty sure that COVID was a kick square in the maracas .
Are the resorts in need of renovation ? Sure, but it’s a catch 22. You need cash and capital investment. I’m pretty sure that there wasn’t a bail-out and debt forgiveness like everyone else got. Throw in the US embargo and it’s still going to take some time. I feel that their recovery rate is accelerated by their attitude and way of life. They know how to adapt and deal without until they have again. “ not right now, maybe tomorrow, maybe later “

Renovations are still progressing but on “ Cuba Time “ , which I defined in my 2020 review as close to “ some time” and not that far off “some other time” . Hence, “ not today, maybe tomorrow , maybe later “ .

So , how was iberostar Laguna Azul ? Great !

The beach was fantastic, as always. The main pool with the swim-up bar was open and rockin’ , as always . The second pool in the main area is still under renovation but being worked on at a pace so as not to create too much disruption. It’s hard to renovate and still function to full service. They will get there just not right away. “ not today , maybe tomorrow, maybe later “ . Both Relax Zone pools were open and clean. A nice retreat from the bustling main area when required . I highly recommend the upgrade, it wasn’t much extra.

The food was “Cuban food “ If you expected different , then you didn’t read my review from 2020. I’m not a picky eater, I always fine something good. If you need things a little spicier, then bring your own. We brought packets of ketchup, peanut butter and hot sauce.
The a la cartes we went to were great. The Japanese was really great. Hit that one twice. Getting reservations was tricky as everything seemed to be booked. Use your travel rep. About 5 minutes of many Spanish words and we were in. BTW – this is one thing that they keep on time, so don’t be late.
As mentioned, the Zona Relax upgrade was worth it. A private restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Not the immediacy of the buffet because they cook to order. ( why are you in a hurry ? ) .
One day they had no eggs, one day they had no potatoes. “ not today, maybe tomorrow, maybe later “

If you need Wifi to survive, then perhaps you should be looking at Silicon Valley as your vacation destination. Most resorts ( this one included ) have Wifi in the lobby... sometimes. If it is not working, “ maybe tomorrow , maybe later “

As mentioned in my last review, I recommend a trip into Varadero. We went on a Friday night (not important, every night rocks) to celebrate a friend's birthday . An old taxi into town , relaxing drinks in the El Rancho with a Cuban band in the background and a birthday serenade with my buddy playing the maracas . ( great video ! ) Then, a horse drawn buggy to the other end of town for pizza. (don’t expect Dominos . If you did, then you didn’t read my last review) . The guy and his young son riding shotgun waited for us and took us back to The Beatles Bar. What a fun time ! We had been there before ( see last review ) so we knew what to expect. Did not disappoint. DeJa'Vu, I think the same band was playing that I saw last time. Surprised (slightly) that they had no beer. Service was hit and miss, mostly miss. If you need alcohol , plan ahead and pack a traveler or three and bug spray. ( you are outdoors ) No cerveza ? “ not today, maybe tomorrow, maybe later “

Money ? It’s complicated. USD works everywhere. CDN works most places and sometimes at par. Pezos ? They really don’t like them but, it’s their currency so they have to take them. The exchange rate varies dramatically depending on where you get them. Banks, resorts and stores will not give you a good rate. The locals will give you better but be careful, it’s just a piece of paper, very easy to copy.

So, If the inner Karen in you needs everything to work perfect, this is not the place for you. Spend more money and go somewhere else.

Bottom line – Happiness is a choice. If you choose to find fault or stress over things not going exactly to plan or on your schedule, then you will succeed at having a bad vacation.
You need to get yourself on “ Cuba Time “ . Slow down and relax a bit . Things will get done. If not today, “ maybe tomorrow, maybe later “

I hope this helps. I’ll be back again next year, maybe sooner.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank robertofromcanada
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2024

Dear Roberto.
We deeply appreciate the vote of confidence from special customers like you. It will always be an honor to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 7, 2024

I have been in this resort for one week. Was amazing. The beach is really good. The food is not the best but is ok. The a la carte restaurants are very good too. The in this resort is the entertainment team. Yandy, ak Candy Boy, Happy Happy, Joshua. The bar at the beach( Troadio, Amaury, Yaisel) the pool bar( Mocha, Oliver and Yanet). For sure, I gonna come back. Amazing resort.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ashley W
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2024

Dear Ashley,
Thank you for trusting us your holidays. Our Team will be honored to have you back.

Reviewed April 6, 2024 via mobile

We were excited for this trip at first our room was really not a welcoming we had 5 rooms in total
1st room had funny moldy smells and ants were all over the washroom
2nd room was OK but the toilet seat was disgusting looking my nephews refuses to use it
3rd room was also OK but there was no cold water coming out of the faucet or shower plus ants
4th room had ants and the shower was broken it comes out past the shower curtain
5th room had ants all over the room and the toilet was leaking
We were all able to switch rooms the next day, though the pillow was smelly we all just had to put towels over it.
Though we all did notice that there were no door hanger signs on each every room, you have to specifically request for one or they will go into your room without permission and clean (we noticed this must be the tipping tactic). Someone did steal our door hanger (and others will take them) so we had to ask for another one and we decided to write our room number on the door hanger.
The pool towel you have to put a deposit, which is fine but the time of the pool towel section is upsetting either they will open on time but no towels available or open late with towels available to exchange. Most of the time towels are not available to exchange so you have to keep on going back.
Food at the buffet is a hit and miss, snack bar as well because for burgers/hot dogs they always have no bread available but they will give you options just to eat the meat lol. The grill lunch at the snack bar area is very delicious you just have to line up one hour before they start grilling because they do not have enough for everyone.
A La Carte was delicious, we had international, cuban and Japanese, though we also did not notice their a la carte staff are short staffed too.
We also did notice that the resort is short staff. They take long to serve drinks and/or take your order for drinks.

It is what is. We just made our trip to be a positive one and most of the workers we’ve met were all nice.

1  Thank Wayne C

Dear Wayne,
Thank you for telling other travelers about your experience. We will do our best to conquer with positive changes on your next visit.

Reviewed April 6, 2024 via mobile

This was my first trip to Cuba. I really enjoyed the resort. A little disappointed that not all pools and hot tubs were functional due to maintenance. Sunwing did notify me appropriately about this matter beforehand. The beach is so beautiful and clean. I think it could be on the smaller side compared to other beaches at other resorts or in other islands but it was good enough for me. There is a bar nearby where you can get drinks. The beach party at night was so much fun! As you may of heard if you are into an abundance of food and variety- Cuba may not be the place for you. Take into consideration there might be food shortages due to economic crisis but I did not notice any on my visit. There were always eggs, food at buffet, coffee etc. I really enjoyed the ala carte restaurant. The snack bar ( by poolside) I feel could be improved in that I felt concerned with the food safety issues there. I only had a sandwich there one time and never went back. Mind you everyone seemed to like the grill and the barbecued food. The room was suitable for me. Room was very clean & functional but probably needs updating now. Housekeeping was always on point and always around doing their job. You may want to bring your own washcloth and beach towel. Maybe even bring a plastic bag so if you eat snacks in the room ( or other items you want to dispose of ) you can throw it in the bag. I did not notice any plastic bags in the garbage bins so this is why I express this. I enjoyed the entertainment , the front desk staff work very hard. Overall I enjoyed every minute of it!!! I cannot wait to return next year!!! Iberostar thank you:)

Room tip: Bring US cash as employees always seem to appreciate tips. Bring wash cloth, snacks, wipes, hand sanitizer.

Dear Liss,
Thank you for choosing us for these holidays in Cuba. We will be delighted to have you back next year.

Reviewed March 31, 2024

I can say unequivocally that this was the worst vacation we have ever had. I will also be letting WestJet vacations know it is unethical to bring Canadians here given the political landscape in Cuba right now and the conditions of this hotel. We stayed at this hotel for 10 long days.

POSITIVES: the beach is lovely with white sand; the weather was perfect, beautiful and sunny; our family suite room was spacious with 2 twin beds for kids adjoining to a queen bed room; my kids enjoyed the curly tail lizards around the resort.

NEGATIVES: staff were generally apathetic or in some cases just rude or dismissive; e.g. looking right through you and not asking if you needed something (when you are standing for minutes alone at a bar counter). There were a few exceptions (e.g. a lovely older male server at the snack bar, our maid, the coffee barista man with the pink shirt). We got the overwhelming feeling that the Cuban hotel workers were done with tourists and yet quite happy to take tips (which did not improve service or friendliness BTW). This was a major detractor for us as we usually enjoy the little conversations with locals, learning about their country, practicing the language etc.. We were aware the main pool was under construction; the part that was open was lovely but unfortunately the quieter pool in the back had no working filtration and active algal count was increasing quite obviously over our stay (e.g. green, slimy) so we had to stop using it. My husband did tell someone about it but they deferred and nothing was done about it. The advertised daily activities and entertainment (on boards in hotel lobby) were deceptive as most of the activities never occurred (with the exception of afternoon dance/aquasize in the pool); the guy turned up for the shooting range one day and insisted on taking our photo on his phone to show his manager he told us (!). As others have said, the food was awful, even for a lower income country; concerningly, food was lukewarm (overhead heat lamps non functional) and re-served multiple days in a row. It was not perhaps surprising when all 4 of us became ill at different points in our stay; one of my children has been significantly ill since returning to Canada and required medical treatment. Food variety was incredibly limited and often looked like mush; lacking in spice or flavour. Oddly, there were ingredients that could be made into something nice but it never seemed to happen. Pancakes were inedible. Pasta station guy did not even stir the food or attempt to cook the onions and other vegetables. We smelled a delicious curry one day at the snack bar; it was staff making their own dinner which we could not partake in. Snack bar was very rarely open and when it was (after staff were chased down to serve you) consisted of an overboiled hot dog (no condiments) or a lukewarm chopped chicken sandwich (food safe issues). Likewise, there were several days when the pretense of lunch being served at the snack bar went on (e.g. vinegar bottles put out on table, napkins etc.) but food was never put in the central serving area. Why?!?! Drinks were overall diluted and wan; by the time we left, we understood why we saw others just asking for straight rum in a glass! It was hard to get a Cuba Libre due to no cola most days we were there and there seemed to be little/no lime juice for mojitos which seemed odd. Sprite was the only soft drink for most of our 10 day stay. Interestingly, when we went to the Havana Iberostar, there seemed to be less issue with these shortages (e.g. other pop available, delicious pina colada) which points to a local management/distribution problem (e.g. why can some supplies not be shipped from the flagship hotel or do they just not care?). The heladeria (ice cream shop) on hotel grounds was not open a single day in our 10 day stay; staff would tell us "It is open tomorrow" which became obvious was a lie after the first 3 days of trying. We have lived in a third world country before and are flexible people and yet we feel we were conned by WestJet Vacations and Iberostar Laguna Azul to wasting hard earned money, family and holiday time there. We will never go back to this hotel and hope to save others the pain and suffering.

Room tip: Don't stay here - there are probably better options. This is definitely not a 5* hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Louisa M
Bibiana Carbonell Castelo, Other at Iberostar Origin Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2024

Dear Louisa,
We are deeply saddened that we were unable to live up to your expectations on this occasion. We will make all the necessary investigations and changes to find solutions to the aspects of our services that were not to your liking and we offer our sincere apologies.
We hope you had a safe trip home.