“Romantic Dining”

Ranked #43 of 98 Restaurants in Varadero
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2019 via mobile

Gorgeous place, classy nautical decor throughout the entire restaurant. Very romantic setting right on the Marina. Lit up beautifully at night. There are live wells holding lobster that they take you to pick your lobster, then they prep and throw on large grills in front of you (or not if you choose). The food is 5star at a 3star price! The restaurant is an experience in its self! Attentive staff all dressed in the nautical theme of the restaurant. My husband enjoyed a T-bone steak and Lobster, I had a Lobster with a seafood rice the portion sizes were huge and the meals were phenomenal.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank jrosscubalove

Reviewed August 28, 2018

After an excellent meal, in terms of quantities, quality and value, at another restaurant in the Marina, we brought forward our plan to try Kick-Kcho. Thank goodness we didn't "save" it for our last night as planned.

We had checked out the menu - twice - over the past few days, noting it was pricey but finding (under chef's specials) the seafood BBQ for 2/4/6 people which presented on the menu as reasonable value.

So we turned up, ordered drinks to begin. Specifically ordered TuCola (local brand, not bad) for the kids. Imported Coca Cola was delivered (and charged at 250% of the local brand). My rum and Coke had little to no Coke in it. And that was after they brought me a duplicate of my wife's white rum and Sprite, not what I ordered. There was no confusion in ordering. The duplicate drink was also charged.

When we attempted to order the seafood BBQ, we were advised "not available". Aaaah, that old trick. We were used to that from our hotel all inclusive a la cartes. "But we can offer you lobster at $30 dollars/kg".. Yeah, yeah, we know this trick by now.

So we said, "ah, that's ok, we'll just have a drink here then, no problem".

Response "oh no sir, don' leeeeve, ley me call my bohsss".

Hey presto, all of a sudden the seafood BBQ was on..

We ordered 2 starters, bacalao (salt cod) based. Both good, actually, but the stuffed peppers one was the best. We also ordered a side of rice (no rice/salad or any side coming with the main), the only rice dish not described with a heavy sauce was "rice with lobster", so we ordered that.

We hovered around the live lobster cage to make sure we weren't chosen the dead ones from the bottom (by this stage we had a bad vibe about the place).

When the main was delivered, the rice with lobster turned out to be paella in a heavy tomato base: exactly what we didn't want, including frozen clams and green lip mussells (exactly what we don't like). So we didn't get what we ordered, presumably too much effort to boil up some plain rice and run some butter through it.

The seafood BBQ itself was sort of OK. It included two very small lobsters (very good), 2 small whole fish (not especially fresh but acceptable) 4 local shrimp (frozen) and a handful of the muddiest clams I've ever had. To be honest I was pretty nervous that those clams might come back and haunt us, although in the end no one was ill.

We skipped dessert.

Total cost for 2 starters, a side of rice, main course (2 person portion), 2 cokes, 4 rum drinks..... $127.50. Waaaaaaay too much for what we received, central London prices. And it wasn't very nice.

Last time we were in Cuba, we frequented a little beach-side grill called "Lennys". And we KNOW the Cuban government sponsors many such beach-side grills in many different resorts, where a lobster tail, fish fillet, rice and salad cost less than $10 dollars.

Feel scammed to be honest: the worst possible outcome of public/private shared enterprise.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Lin-n-Tan
Reviewed July 22, 2018

Me and my partner came here for our last night in Varadero. We read the negative trip advisor reviews left by some people before we came and so had low expectations of the place. We were truly blown over! We will agree with previous reviews that a lot of their menu was unavailable when ordering, however you have to remember that you aren't in the UK, YOU ARE IN CUBA. On our tour around Havana our guide explained that meat and fish products are increasingly difficult to source as they are very expensive, so we kept an OPEN MIND as to why a lot of this restaurants dishes were not available. In the end I picked the Red Tuna Loin, it was out of this world, cooked to perfection. My partner hates fish with a passion and after trying my dish he was pleasantly surprised. He had the sirloin steak skewers and it was incredible. I can't understand the nasty comments left previously as this is a genuinely beautiful restaurant, food was amazing and staff were so so lovely, the location is breathtaking also. I regret not catching any of the staff names to praise them but they really do deserve it. Please take into consideration that a lot of their menu was unavailable but please also use your brain to think about why this might be. We paid the equivalent of £50 for red tuna loin steak, sirloin steak skewers, 2 desserts and three rounds of drinks. Try it, you won't regret it!

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

As I am slowly finding in all Cuban restaurants....their menus may look appealing and once you are seated and order they will tell you half their menu isn’t available. I tried to order gazpacho and they said they didn’t have it. I tried to order their mixed salad with goat cheese and it wasn’t available. That’s all I wanted. Ugh. When I finally ordered two appetizers...tuna and then the prawns they were DISGUSTING. The prawns wheeler not cleaned...and were served with eyeballs and all. Don’t eat here. The restaurant and view are great but food is disgusting. Stick with safer bets. The smoothies at the stand outside of this restaurant were fantastic. I’ve yet to find a good meal in Cuba and this is day 3.

Date of visit: June 2018
2  Thank Wendyferg1
Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

We ate here the best fish ive ever had prices are oki 2 bottles of premium water and 2 courses whitch are huge portions just about 43 CuC not bad.Service top notch ,a bit slow but the place and food superb highly recomended!!

Date of visit: February 2018