“2nd visit and did not disapoint” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Peninsula Varadero

Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Kitchener
“2nd visit and did not disapoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I just relized i forgot to post a review from our last vacation in January 2011. This was our second year in a row at Tryp and it was fantastic. Deneb the wedding coordinator knew we were returning and set up our a la cartes for us, upgraded room to our wedding/honeymoon room and generally took care of us. As returning guests we were invited to the managers special dinner which was appreciated. The staff remember us from our first visit which was also appreciated, as they remembered wedding guests names and asked where they were as well. Having been to Cuba 3 times before this visit again the food was the best we have experienced in Cuba, and the amenities of the resort are amazing. We enjoy exploring varadero once again, and took a day trip into Havana which was wel worth the experience. We love cuba and its people and are planning to return again this year with our infant. You wont be disapointed by booking this resort.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katnip27
Omar-Duenas-TPV, Manager at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear friend of Tryp Peninsula:

Onbehalf of my staff, I want o thank you for your great comments about the hotel on Trip Advisor, I hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed at the Tryp Peninsula for 1 week. Buffet had some line-ups but was very impressed by the fresh fish and fruit. Restaurants were amazing; Japanese, French, Mexican, and Cuban all were awesome. Did not try the Italian restaurant. The Beach was very nice, lots of space for the amount of guests compared to other resorts down the beach. Water equipment (kayaks, peddle boats, etc.) was always readily available, never had to wait. The room was very spacious and clean, ours was located right between the beach and the pool which was awesome. The Entertainment staff always got everybody excited and made sure they included everyone. Beach volleyball and Aquabics became a morning ritual thanks to the Entertainment staff. Pablo, Carlos, Yany, and Yadira were very helpful and made sure we were always happy; they were fun to hang out with and answered all of our questions about the Resort and area. The resort held a beach party on our last night and it was extremely fun; drinks on the beach, professional dancers and a DJ which lasted until 2AM. We went on a day trip Catamaran which was really fun, swim with dolphins, snorkling, and a lunch on Cayo Blanco Island (amazing white sand beach). All of the bartenders were extremely friendly and patient, they would suggest their favourite drinks when we couldn't decide and we were never disappointed. Strawberry daquires, Mojitos, Pina Colada's and Rum Punch were amazing. Cappucino bar was also very good. Overall the trip went smoothly and I couldn't of asked for more. Weather was around 28 Celcius everyday and it did not rain once.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach are very convenient as there is a bar and lunch buffet right on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alyssa f
Dear guest of Tryp Peninsula:

Thanks for this great review about your recent stay at this hotel and for re mark our entertaiment team, I´ll make sure all of them read your post, they will be very happy, I hope to see you soon.
edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We were in Cuba once before and loved it. What a difference a resort makes. I doubt we will ever return after a week at the Tryp. The room - safe was not attached to anything, sliding door did not lock, coachroaches, toilet broke, spring sticking out of the mattress, we had the same towels for several days and the same beach towels for 5 days. I assume the linens were never washed as we were told the washer was broken (i wonder if the stuff was washed before we arrived).The light switches did not work to the stairs leading to our room. Bring a flashlight or risk a fall down the stairs. The lighting on the path to the rooms is almost non existing. On the plus side our fridge was stocked with 1 beer daily. I guess the maid had better things to do than pick up the coachroach i managed to squash. The customer service was non existing. The slop house where they serve meals is understaffed and offers nothing appetizing to eat. They do a very poor job keeping the buffet stocked. Good luck finding a clean table and someone to server you coffee. The tables do not get cleaned between customers. The line ups are long and slow. I enjoyed the service in the Japanese rest, but again the food sucks as did the Italian rest. Even the customers (mostly French Canadians) were rude in this resort. I guess when the service is bad it is everyone for themselves. Standing in line or waiting your turn goes out the door. The money exchange line is also fun. Get ready to wait 45 minutes, hopefully you get to the front of the line before they shut the curtain and go for lunch for an hour. I hate to be so negative and I am really not that hard to please. You expect less in Cuba, but I felt we got nothing from this hotel. The only good thing about the trip was things out of the hotels control. The sun, the beach and the ocean. This is a large resort and I do not mind the exercise, but it would be tough to get around if you have a handicap. The walk from the hotel to the beach is 10 -15 minutes.We brought lots of gifts for the staff as the staff at our last resort really appreciated them. However, I only found a few staff members deserving and we gave away most of the stuff in downtown Varadero. I will end on a positive note, I lost 5 pounds.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank k s
Dear guest of Tryp Peninsula:

Thanks for your comments, we are working very hard to improve our services I hope you can give us the opportunity to host you again and make you feell welcome.

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is not a 41/2 star resort especially when compared to other "same rated" hotels in the caribbean. The landscape and look of the resort is pretty and well maintained, the rooms were clean but bed was a bit too springy and we had to call to have the sliding door fixed, the toilet fixed 2x but they did respond quickly to that. Beach area is small and not enough chairs at the pool; if you didn't get there by 7am you did not get a pool chair. Towels are like gold as we had to wait 2 days to get a beach towel supposedly due to the laundromat being broken :-/ and then our towels were stolen twice by other resorters.. Drinks are poor as the alcohol is water downed ( or tastes like it) and they barely put any in and there is no waitress service at the pool or beach for drinks so you have to constantly get up to get your own drinks- ok I am lazy! so bring a BIG sippy cup to avoid this. Food lines are very long at the buffet and they would run out of some food by 7pm which was a problem since they opened at 6:30pm. The food was fine and there was choice and I understand it is CUBA with limited food supply but don't charge the same amount as other hotels at other islands that actually do OFFER a wide variety of food, good service and no lines or waits to actually eat. As one other guest stated the buffet was like being at "summer camp" with the long lines and average food. In addition you had to wait and ask several times to get anyone to clean a table and then get you water or a drink even tipping didn't seem to add any spring to any of the service staff step. The italian and japanese restaurants were good and the service much better. Overall for the price I think you can get better service and just as nice if not better accommodations and beach elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest of Tryp Peninsula:

I want to thak you for taking the time to post your recent stay at this hotel, We are very sorry for not have fully covered your expectations, we are working very hard to improve our services.
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Myself, husband and two year old daughter stayed here in May 2008. It was very clean, the weather was fantastic (though very hot, but a dry heat). Mosquitos were bad though! Bring repellant.

The food was fine, nothing gourmet. The mojitos were sooooo good. The espresso from the bar was good too. Don't make the same mistake my husband did and drink the water at the fountain in the gym. When we got back home his stomach felt off for about a week. Myself and my daughter were fine.

The kid's pool was nice, but not very dynamic. There was one small slide and another bigger one but it was a nice atmosphere as it was never crowded or too loud.

Service was good. We left gifts from the Dollar store for housekeeping every day. The room smelled slightly musty and the beds were hard and a little uncomfortable for me.

We went on the day trip to Havana and this is a must. The price also included a really nice lunch in downtown Havana. Well worth it! The guides were great.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Blecky
Thanks for your review and for let me know where we can improve, we are working very hard on your remarks, we hope to see you soon.
Bowmanville, ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent a week with our 2 teenage daughters at the start of February. Getting through Customs is a little slow but really not much of a problem. The Transfer buses were very nice with a friendly guide and a man sold beer right out front of the airport and took CDN cash. The resort was very nice and spacious and you can be accomadated to whatever your liking is (i.e. Beach, pool, buffet, kids area etc) The guests were generally older with a spattering of small children. There wasn't many teenagers but my kids didn't seem to mind. The food was a pleasant suprise with the a la carte's being very good. We tried the Italian, Mexican and Japanese restaurants and they were all good. The buffet was good but like anywhere else gets a little old by the end of the week. My daughters liked the nightly show and the lobby/disco always had something going on every night. We met lots of tourists from all over the world at the swim up bar ( can be dangerous on a hot day LOL) Over all we really enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly and helpful and our Jeep excursion was a blast even though the Sidekicks need a little TLC.
My only worry is that some of the Villas near the ocean are starting to show a little wear and tear. They will have to take the time to patch them up in the near future.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the beach ask for villas 2500-2900
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank HomeyBowmanville_ont
Dear guest of Tryp Peninsula:

Thanks for taking the time and make a great review about your recent stay with us. I hope to see you again soon.
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I am sorry to report that for the 1st time in 4 trips to Cuba, I was terribly disappointed by many things. The first was the lecture we were given by our Bus Driver from the Airport to the Hotel. Not sure if he was employed with Transat Holidays or not, but for the 1st time, I felt pressured to tip in order to get service or not be looked upon as though I wasn't worth anyone's attention or effort. One of the reasons I continue to choose Cuba as a destination is the dealings I've had with its gracious people, and not deal with aggressive Jamaicans or Dominicans. And this "tips are how we judge you" mentally continued on every encounter I had, booked tour or not. ugh. Secondly, we arrive at the hotel and are told we have a lovely room overlooking the gardens as they all do. Well, we overlooked the Tennis Courts, Shuffle Board and Ping Pong areas...with kids, great. Not really. We couldn't switch our rooms because apparently the resort was fully booked, after the week there, I don't know that I believed them, I think they didn't want to move us. Thirdly, the service and the staff at the TRYP were no where near as service oriented as I had experienced in the past. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the Laundromat responsible for all towels for all resorts in the area and it was broken down for however long, so all guests received 1 beach towel and if you lost it (or another tourist stole it - which is what happened to my roommate on our first morning), you would have to pay 15CUC. When we approached PR about this, they said it was our responsibility, and didn't seem to care - until we got visibly and verbally annoyed, not rude or disrespectful, but we had to push to get some real help. In the end, she "found" a towel in the Lost & Found that had been badly stained. She said we could exchange it at the Towel Exchange the next morning, as had our Transat Holiday Agent on site. Apparently, we would be able to exchange our towels every day. Not so much, as we discovered every morning for the remainder of the week. Finally my roomie explained the situation to our room maid, gave her 10CUC to see if there was anything she could do to get a fresh non stained towel, and miraculously when we got back to our room there was a beautiful new clean beach towel in the room. Fourth - after 2 nights experiencing horrible food in the "Cafeteria", we tried to see if we could get into one of the A La Carte places in case someone cancelled, no flexibility even though the 2 we tried were no where near full! No help - ugh. Fifth, the weather was cold, not that that's a controllable, but when 4 of your 7 days are cold, that's hard to take. Maybe its that I was in Varadero and the weather would have been better somewhere else, not sure, either way not great. I will not return to Varadero, the only reason I went was because I wanted to see Havana and its closest to Varadero. Its a tourist trap for all kinds of travellers and I'm done with that crowd. Sixth, I touched on this earlier, the food. Now - you don't go to Cuba for the Food, BUT, for a 4.5 Star, I expected better. Even the fruit and fruit juices were blah. Everything looked like it leftovers. The "Buffet" or "Cafeteria" as we referred to it as was horrible for every meal selection. Sorry to say just horrible. It breaks my heart that I have to write this but I was so disappointed and I don't want others going to Cuba for the 1st time to judge Cuba on this resort, or town, or Travel Agency for that matter. I was terribly disappointed with Transat Holidays and won't use them again either. I felt "sold" on the excursions I did book. I will be writing another feedback message to them because as I stated earlier, for the 1st time in 11 years and 4 trips, I was terribly disappointed and will think long and hard about returning... And as far as the friend with whom I convinced Cuba would be a great trip, she will not be returning at all. How awful is that? Between the "tip" pressure, Transat Holidays misplaced "selling tactics", and the TRYP hotel, and the other tourists we encountered there she had had enough. So sad.

Room Tip: I don't know what to say because I ask my agent to see if he could get us a great room and we en...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank MaeJulien
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 23 August 2016
Dear Customer :
First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Best regards