“I will NEVER go back to this hotel”
Review of IBEROSTAR Tainos

IBEROSTAR Tainos
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“I will NEVER go back to this hotel”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I wonder about all those people who wrote those WONDERFUL reviews about this hotel.
Either you have never been anywhere and have nothing to measure against or ..this just who you are…and nothing bothers you..

I visited this hotel at the end of January (28th to the 4th of February).
I had no nigh expectations I have been to Cuba and was prepared for they have to offer.
Yes nature has given them a lot..- beautiful beaches and lovely weather are plentiful.
It is still a safe place comparing to other Caribbean countries…The people are nice..Yes!
However. I should say that Cubans are not yet in touch with what the tourist industry is all about and what does GOOD service in a resort setting mean.

I am sorry to say that..but it is true..
My complaints for this particular hotel:

First of all if I had paid $500-600 dollars I would not even open my mouth and will be happy..but this was not the case.

A hotel that charges as much as a 4.5 star hotel should provide the service and the amenities of one.
LOBBY:
The lobby is EXTREMELY neglected.
Dirty windows and covered with dist chandeliers. Dying or almost dead plants! Fake plants covered with dust.
Glass tables covered with dust or stains…OLD, OLD and poorly cared for furniture!
Empty and dirty" water mirrors"….Dirty elevator doors...Just look around and point at one thing that looks at least O.K.? I did not find it.

RECEPTION:
Very poor reception manner. No smiles! I
If you have a specific request you will see how displeased the person opposite you is..
I had to have dealings with the staff at the reception a few times and EVERY time had to wait for them for a LONG time to finish their private conversations on the phone..
To me this is unacceptable!

ROOMS:

First room we had - was fine. It seemed recently refreshed. I had no complaints.
However for a reason I wanted to change room and have one in a bungalow - closer to the beach.
I think the front desk staff where not too happy about my request and we got in return the dingiest room possible!!

When we arrived in the room- the maid was cleaning and the floor mats the little carpets on each side of the bed) where on top of the freshly made bed!!
I normally do not put my feet on my pillow, not my carpets on my fresh linens…
The room had cobwebs and little creatures caught in it that where never cleaned for the 5 days we had the room.
There where other bugs crawling on the floor that we had killed on the floor and their bodies never left the floor.
The floor was cleaned only once - when we moved into the room…
The bathroom had a bath with a VERY suspicious cleanliness…

The fridge was not working properly.
Only one bottle of water for 2 people was left every second day!

There was no iron or ironing board and when I asked for one was told that they do not provide one and I should use their dry-cleaning service and pay for it.
We asked for bottled water and where told that we should buy it!

I just do not want to remember again this experience!

FOOD

I would just spare my comments and say very average!
Yes - you will find something to eat and it seemed like the shefs are making a great effort with what they have.
I have to say that from all the people in this resort the servers at the restaurant where the kindest ones.
They where the only people who always smiled and where following your eyes to see if you need anything.
The 2 restaurants that you can book are a complete joke! It is not worth even a comment.

Entertainment :POOR.
Most of the evenings are spend presenting certificates to the people who participated in the beach games..

I am sorry but when I go on vacation I expect a certain level of comfort, cleanliness and to be entertained -NOT to entertain.
I would like to relax and not to be stressed about bugs and where to get a bottle of water or how to iron my shirt!
I would also like my eyes to see something beautiful or at least pleasant ..not dirty windows and chandeliers and dying flowers..
If this is what you want or expect by all means visit this hotel.

Room Tip: just don't go there
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Valentina M
QualityManagerCuba, QualityManagerCuba at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Valentina,

Thank you for your review. We are surprised that you did not manage to find at least one, good thing, in our hotel. Here at Ibeorstar Tainos, so many people are praised for the good and hard work; this is what makes a Tainos so popular. There is no need for hate, or havy judgment. …however all observation we are taking seriously and thank you very much for your comments. Wish you all the best…

Director General
Iberostar Tainos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tillsonburg
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just returned from staying at the Iberostar Tainos Feb. 27-Mar. 5th and had a wonderful time. Check in was done in an efficient manner. The manager is very visible and very pleasant and approachable. We stayed in a bungalow and the room was clean and bright. We had a few issues with the key switch for the power in our room, but nothing major. Our maid Yamila kept the linens and towels fresh. The towel art was pretty. Bar fridge stocked regularly. On two occasions we found a complimentary bottle of Havana rum and champagne awaiting for us in our room after a day of sun....nice touch! (great to take home)
The grounds and landscaping are beautiful. The beach is amazing. The beach area is kept very clean and offered a good variety of water activities free of charge. The boardwalk to the beach is presently closed and waiting to be replaced but there is a clear path to the beach to use. The pool was clean and was the perfect temperature...beautiful spot. Always plenty of lounge chairs and shade areas to be found...both pool and beach area. Fun activities around the pool for those interested. The buffet restaurant offered a good selection of foods that were very flavourful and offered something for everyone. Wait staff were attentive there also. One evening at the buffet restaurant my daughter requested some champagne to drink (extra charge) and within minutes the waitress came with a complimentary tray of champagne for our table. Very accomodating. We ate at the Japanese a la carte and it was absolutely delicious and very entertaining. Hats off to Felix at the Japanese restaurant. The Cuban a la carte was also very delicious. We frequented the lobby bar the most and service and drinks were great. We drank the water at the resort and it was completely safe to drink. Live nightly entertainment outside of the buffet restaurant was wonderful to listen too...a great variety of local musicians. A great spot for after dinner drinks or coffee. The entertainment staff (Star Friends) were awesome. They made things so much fun. They could get you involved in some games, but were not at all pushy if you weren't interested in participating. One of the star players in particular was Rudolpho (hope I spelled it right!) who deserves a special thank you. This young man went out of his way to make my family feel so welcome and was one of the reasons why we had so much fun. He always greeted us with such a big smile and called us his favourite Canadian family! Cudos to Rudolpho!!
The shows at night were awesome, again another great job by the star friends group. Great variety and always very entertaining and fun to watch.
We have stayed in many different resorts throughout the Caribbean and many different Iberostar hotels and this has to be the best place we have ever stayed in because of the way you are treated by the staff there....they are exceptional!! We will definitely return to Iberostar Tainos and will recommend this resort for those looking for a wonderful relaxing vacation!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank JaneBillLauraandJeff
Dear JaneBillLauraandJe,

Thank you very much for your review on a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Tainos. I will pass your words to Yamile and Rudolfo, and let me tell you that whenever you want, you are more then welcome to contact us to organize again wonderful vacation. Your words are highly appreciated.

Wish you and your family all the best.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed for three days with my family and I was expecting more from a very pricey hotel. Linens need to be refreshed, food has to have more variety, entertainment was not great! If you want to spend this much money you are better off in Iberostar laguna or Sol palmeras

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank BecksterQT
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your review. However we did not manage to find out what went so wrong. Please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regrads
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and I wish I was still there. I had low expectations since everyone prepared me for that before going to Cuba but we all agreed, things have changed. The food was great! There were some weird things but that's cultural, not bad food. I ate a lot of seafood and I drank the tap water but I was never sick (not including hangovers). Our room was fine but it is a little weird you need your key in a slot in the room to work the power. Also, all the beds are pretty much single. No doubles, queens or Kings. My husband and I stuck ours together and the maid kept them like that and set them as one. The staff were all amazing and so friendly. No one is pushy at all as I read in some other hotel reviews. I think the best thing about the hotel (other than the beach, which would be the same at nearby hotels) was the entertainment. It was incredible, they have serious talent and it's all for about 30 people watching in a bar on a resort. It was a lot of fun! If you're considering visiting Havana I recommend hiring you're own driver instead of the bus tour. Our driver drove a 1957 Chevy, knew where to take us and was our personal chauffeur and guide for the whole day, for the same price as 4 people on a bus tour.
I had a great trip and expect other people would have the same experience!

Room Tip: Definitely the bungalows
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank emily s s
nova scotia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The resort was small & cosey,
You are close to everything - 5 minutes. We stayed at bungalow # 31 and it was fabulous . The bed mattress was a bit firm so sleeping too long , the hips get a bit sore. But the sheets changed daily , room cleaned very well by Eliam -great job , towel art was splendid.

The food :
Was very good - 4 hot stations at the buffet , lots a great cheeses, omelets every am . The yogurt was very tasty , dates were delicious , tomatoes taste like they should , cucumbers very fresh . So there was lots to eat. The pool snack area was well stocked with two hot stations , again lots to eat . just ask for your burgers to be cooked well done .
The staff at the buffet were excellent , very friendly and genuine. A few to mention and i know i missed a few names - Espereanza and Maria and Emaile ? i think yet wonderful ladies always a smile and make you feel at home Thanks. The bar manager was always helping out wherever. The chef's were great and open to suggestions to improve.
customer service:
Gisele was awesome , very helpful and so polite thanks for the cava. ! for my wifes birthday.
The general manager Dejan was superb . Always a smile and really made you feel at home . He does care about his staff and your stay so get to know him , a wonderful man. Thanks again for the cava to our room
The grounds :
were very clean and well maintained. The walkway to the beach is in need of repair yet lets understand this is cuba. There are permits needed for work to be done so it is not that they don't want to fix things its the red tape . But it was roped off and there is a great little woods path behind the pool buffet , well marked and it is like you are walking into a jungle tunnel, what a find. This path takes you right to the beach so there is an alternative to the wooden pathway i recommend you try it.
Animation shows:
O my , excellent !! unbelievable the talent , they did such a splendid job . Amazing people .

The exchange rate
Was good at the reception . $200 cnd for $192 peso, so 96 per 100 cnd . I recommend checking first then maybe just exchanging a little at a time. I got a better exchange for $ 100 verses $ 20 at a time.

We had a great time and look forward to visiting again with our grand kids . I doubt you will be disappointed a solid 4 star . 6 th visit to Cuba and counting .
Paul & Karen

Room Tip: email a bungalow request # 3114 2nd floor great view and close to everything,quiet at night
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank winemakerNovaScotia
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I must say that after reading all the reviews, I was disappointed on this hotel. Nothing was really wrong but some small things bothered. There's absolutely no flexibility on anything in this hotel. I was sick (slight food poisoning of the all-inclusive food) and the hardest thing was to get bottled water in the all-inclusive hotel! My boyfriend had to go around to 5 different place before he got any. Food was diappointed but that is common in these buffet places. Tried out the Cuban restaurant which visitors can use and it was better.

Hotel area is a bit noisy: they are collecting glass bottles and 5:30 in the morning when guests would rather sleep. Also, all the guests enjoyed the quietness and didn't mess around but the staff was shouting and playing around. Sometimes it was rather annoying. Beach is absolutely fabulous and it is nice to have the bar there.

Our room was quite humid and really old fashioned. The smell was weird so we had to keep the door open. Especially when beeing sick it was awful, also when other people where smoking indoors and the smell came to your room...

All in all, nice hotel with beautiful colours and paradise-like environment. I could go again but I surely wouldn't have my 'paradise expectations'.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Suskumuikkunen
Thank you for your review. I am glad that even if you did not manage to found a paradise, you would like to come back to our hotel. It makes us feel like that you found something to be worth of coming back. Thank you very much and when you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact me.
Lowestoft U.K
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here Jan 22nd to Feb 5th and would like to just say wonderful! We had a couple of funny issues with the room but nothing to maon about. The key card didnt work 3 times and the lights used to go out! Food all times was enjoyable and me being a very picky eater the bread is made at the hotel which you could tell as it was soft sometimes even warm. The staff all excellent and worked very hard. We also went on the trips Havanah, dolphins, jeep adventure and deep sea fishing. My daughter loved the jeep one husband enjoyed the fishing although he didnt catch any big fish just 2 small ones and I loved the dolphin swim. Havanah was also enjoyable with having a first class tour guide Tropicana night show briliant and the rum went down a treat. Down town Vardero is a must especially on the open top bus! We would certainly go back as when its time to come home you wish that you had done more! If anyone from the hotel should read this please could they inform the thomson rep Marilis Castro that her email address did not work and could she email so I can send her the photos! Marillis is a fantastic rep and we were very lucky to have her as our rep.
with regards
Rowena x

Room Tip: We were in the bungalows near the pool and plenty big enough for the 3 of us.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family