“Perfect little resort with professional, hard-working, charming staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of IBEROSTAR Tainos

IBEROSTAR Tainos
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Perfect little resort with professional, hard-working, charming staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We loved the Tainos – there’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said here. To recap; lovely grounds that are immaculately kept, amazing beach (best stretch in Varadero), friendly staff, excellent food (there’s always something being freshly cooked, we especially liked the food), rum, rum and more rum!!

Special thanks to the lobby bar staff who were particularly friendly and did the best coffee and cocktails and also to Beatriz in the buffet restaurant who never failed to have a huge smile on her face; it was a joy to be served by her. Management were very visible throughout our trip which we respected and valued. Luis, the First Choice rep, is a bit of a legend and we loved chatting to him – he doesn’t give the hard-sell on trips (I’ve uploaded a price list as a pic) and gave great local restaurant recommendations as well as the proper ritual to smoke a cigar (dipping it in rum etc!)

We also loved the Japanese restaurant and went a couple of times – the waiting staff were exceptional and sooooo friendly and Felix put on a great show!!

The shows were pretty good, certainly entertaining, and it was clear the Ents staff worked really hard – we weren’t bothered to join in most of the time and they respected that and left you in peace.

The only thing that really saddened me was the attitude of some guests, in particular we noticed the French Canadians. You are no better than the people serving you, simply because you can afford to holiday here. There is just no reason to be rude. A simple smile and the odd tip goes a long way to the hard working and charming staff. My hubbie actually had to hold me back a few times as I wanted to leap to the defence of staff and chase after the people at the Japanese who couldn’t even manage to leave 1CUC for the exemplary hard work and wouldn’t even shake the chef’s hand. Shocking behaviour but above all it just made me sad to see how the staff just professionally sucked it up; obviously well used to it.

But, it was clear from our visit there was a lot of love from returning guests (particularly Canadians) for the staff and that was endearing to watch.

I’m not sure we’d return to Vardero in a hurry, it’s very much ‘fake’ Cuba – but if we did then I would certainly come back to this small, friendly, perfect little resort.

Room Tip: We emailed in advance and asked for a first floor bungalow with a king size bed - they very kindly o...
9 Thank Jemtee77
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Friends,

First of all let me tell you that I found your review to be very nice. At this moment I have pass your comments onto Lobby staff, Beatriz, Felix, and Entertainment staff. Tomorow I will pass your comments to Luis, The First Choice Rep. I agree with you, all my staff are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our guests. And despite that sometimes some of the guests are disresectful they never loose the smile. On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Tainos, thnak you one more time.

Iberostar Tainos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Our first stay in Varadaro. Mar 17 to 22 2012 in 1131 and 2502. Stayed with my 13 yr old daughter for 5 nights. Had a very plesant stay. She loved the buffet but I enjoyed the Japanese and Cuban Restrauants more. My biggest disapointment was the coffee. At the lobby bar it was good but in the buffet restaurant it was not what I, as a Canadian, was hoping for. Get rid of the hot skim milk and get real cream. Great warm pool, lots of chairs and nice comfortable, plesant but not overly fancy rooms. Good hot water and showers. Staff was always more than great, always friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Christina on the front desk for moving us to a quieter room and M at the tour desk, by the window, for sorting out quickly and efficently a last minute problem with a cat tour. If you want a pampered spa holiday look elsewhere but for a family or couple looking for a quiet comfortable room, family friendly food/service and a nice pool to play in this is a good value place you should consider. Would certainly stay here again. Jim

Room Tip: main building rooms were big enough for 2 but loud till about midnight. good ac. best for couples/no...
6 Thank Jim G
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for nice review. We are more then please taht you has such a good time here at Iberostar Tainos. All your observation will be checked at once. I will pass your nice comments to Cristina at the repcetion. And whenever you decide to visit us again do not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you all the best.

Bradford, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

First off, you can not expect Cuba to be as your home country. They do not have the means.
For what they do have, it is excellent. We tourists who go down to these places and expect them to be as we would back at home, forget it, it's not going to happen.
If you want to pick on everything that is negative about a place that you are staying, stay at home. You should not go out.
All the negative reviews that are posted, and pictures that go along with them are just spiteful. For these same people that do this, there own place is no better. Anyone can make anything that is good, look bad.
The people are freindly, not as the tourist who treat them with disrespect claim them to be.
Iberostar Tanios was great. Did it miss having something, yes, but you can not make everyone happy. The General Manager was great, he came around, quite a few times and asked what was needed, how we were, food etc. To show his appreciation, he sent Rum to the room.
The rooms were great, clean linen each day, room made up nicely, and when you did run into the maid, she asked what was needed. What more do you want.
The food was good, some nights better than others. All our family came back with a weight gain.
There was enough to please everyone, anytime.
The tourists were the pigs.......they would fill their plates have a bite and leave for the waiter to throw away...........you would not do that at your house, why do it here.
All the staff worked hard to make that extra tip....so that they could provide for their family.
In short, it comes down to this: the negative reviews are given by people who should not leave their own home, as they are slobs themselves and probably have a place that is not fit to live.
The resort was great, they made you welcome, the drinks we plentiful, food was great, and the rooms gave you a good nights sleep. The shower had hot water and fresh linens for the room.
The front desk was courtious and the management helpful and polite.
It is my second time to an Iberostar Hotel, sixth time to Cuba, and I enjoyed it.
Romano 3613

22 Thank Romano F
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Mr. Romano,

Thank you very much for all the nice words. At the end of the day ,we all are just humans, and we should treat each other with respect. I agree with you. Your observation that personel, here at Iberostar Tainos, are hardworking people, is true. We all ,seek the best for all our clients. Your fedback is really kind and nice, in the name of the staff and managemnet here at Ibs. tainos thnak you one more time, and we do hope to see you again.

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned from our third visit to Iberostar Tainos and LOVED it!!! We have always felt that the staff are dedicated to making our holiday memorable and this year was no different...special thanks to Franki at the Beach bar for his kind efforts! The hotel manager Mr. Grubanov is very personable--a real "hands-on" leader. The addition of live music over the lunch hour is great...this compliments the night time outside music perfectly...The food was very good..I noticed the addition of spices and a greater variety on the buffet. There was always an abundance of food and everyone was able to find something they liked. The beach at Tainos is the best and we have walked to either end. The animation team had many fun activities that you could choose to take part in, but there was never any pressure to participate. The hotel is being refurbished over the next year with a renovation in the lobby, relocating the beach bar and redoing 120 rooms. We are very excited to see this when we go next March. Because this is a smaller hotel, there is a comfortable, family feeling...we especially enjoyed meeting a wonderful family from Quebec City, who helped to make our holiday perfect...many, many thanks to the amazing people of Iberostar Tainos. Can't wait to see you again!

12 Thank LDM499
Dear Friends,

First thank you very much for your feedback. I will pass your words to Franki and to the animation team. I would like to thank you for recogazing all of the improvements. It is an ongoing proces and we always seek the best for all our clientes. Please, before your next visit it will be my pleasure if you contact me.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I know I am late in writing this review but am beginning to think about holidays for this year and it made me reflect on last year.
I will start by saying that we rarely go on all inclusive holidays, preferring the freedom of independent travel. On this occasion, we were very glad that we acted out of character.
We chose the hotel on the basis of the reviews we had seen here on TA and we were not disappointed.
We emailed the hotel in advance and asked for a bungalow room. On arrival at the hotel we were given a room in the main building. It was fine - a large double bed, plus a single for our 10 year old daughter. We did ask at reception if we could move to a bungalow because we thought our daughter would have more freedom to come and go from the room on her own. They were great and offered us a choice of bungalow rooms which were becoming available the next day. Given that this was peak time, we were very impressed and ended up choosing an upstairs bungalow room just set back from the pool. This was a large room with a big double and a proper single. The bathroom was clean; the shower worked well and there was sufficient wardrobe space.

Throughout our stay, we found the food and drink to be more than acceptable. There was always freshly cooked meat or fish of one kind or another to choose from and the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and made you feel special. I like sparkling wine and the waiters always seemed to be able to find a bottle to open for me in the evening.

We enjoyed sitting in the lounge bar after dinner, and again the service was exceptional.

The beach was amazing - beautiful sand and plenty of shade and loungers. However, we preferred to be around the poolside during the day. Service was excellent - our preferred drinks for each time of day seemed to arrive as if by magic. There was always shade to be had and, considering it was a peak period, it never seemed crowded.

The management were high profile and seemed genuinely keen to make sure the guests had a good time. During our stay, they greeted us by name and seemed to be interested in our opinions of the hotel.

We spent two nights in Havana during our stay. Rather than having a tour organised by our holiday rep, we arranged this independently before we left the UK. We booked two nights in a 'casa' and got the bus from Varadero to Havana early in the morning. It was well worth it - on our previous holiday in Cuba we went on the organised tour to Havana and saw the tobacco factory etc, so it was nice to see a different side of Havana. I would be happy to answer any questions about this kind of trip.

To sum up, we had a fantastic holiday and felt very well looked after by all the staff. One of the real bonuses of this kind of holiday was that our daughter was able to have a bit of independence and all staff were excellent in making her feel grown up and special. If we ever return to Cuba, we would definitely think about staying at the Tainos again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Murphy939
Dear Friends,

First of all thank your for nice review. Also. thank you for having a patience at the moment of changing your room. I will pass your comments onto Reception departmant. All the staff of the reception are preofesionals and relly try to acomodate all request as soon as posible. Whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dejan Gruabnov
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have just got back from a week here and after reading lots of reviews about this hotel on the whole I would consider the good reviews posted to be correct (the bad ones seem far too extreme). I'm not saying I had the best holiday ever or that we will be returning but overall we had a lovely time and would recommend it to people based on certain expectations.

I would say that the hotel is most suited to those who like to interact with people - the staff, the entertainment team and other guests. To be honest we were there to relax and so we avoided getting involved with the Entertainment team and other guests. On the plus side for those with families I'm sure the Entertainment team is a real bonus, they seemed really friendly and parents clearly trusted their kids with them - it was just not for us.

Initially we had a room in the main building. The room was big and overlooked the front of the hotel. It was nice but again was too busy and getting the slow lift and walking through the lobby everyday just didn't suit our idea of a holiday get away. We asked to be moved to a bungalow and so a couple of days later we got to move. I must say the bungalow room we got we were really happy with (room 3314) and made a massive difference to our holiday experience. It was abit smaller than the main building but it felt more like a proper beach holiday and we never went up to the main building or the lobby area for the rest of the holiday.

Beach was lovely - we went there every day and didn't visit the pool area once. We tried to get sunbeds as far down the beach as possible because when the Entertainment team started activities they were noisy and annoying when you were trying to relax on a sunbed (the song "Hey Baby oh ah" on repeat and loud is not how I like to relax!).

All of the food was much better than what I was expected and is on a par with beach resorts I've been to in Mexico and Egypt. I must say that the bread was the nicest I have ever had from a holiday resort. As a vegetarian I expected to struggle - everyone was really accommodating for me the only one concern I had is that sometime I would find pieces of ham in my omelette which I think was because some had fallen in the tomato pot and sometimes the same spoon was used to handle both meat and veggies.

We loved the Cuban restaurant - was quiet, staff were lovely and they made a real effort on the vegetarian front. We went there twice in one week and the red wine here was much nicer than the main buffet restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was amazing in terms of the show they put on but the food was just ok.

Choice of alcoholic drinks was good - but they always seemed to taste different as there was no consistency to the measures used! It was always pot luck as to whether the cocktail was going to be a good one or not!

The sunsets on the beach were lovely - alot of people missed out as they went to get ready for dinner. But around 6.30pm it was worth staying around for a quiet and spectacular sunset.

Our biggest annoyance of the whole holiday was the waiting times at the front desks lobby area. Even though the girls were lovely they do not seem to all work together when one side of the desk is busy. If you are the manager of the resort please understand that this is really frustrating when there are staff stood on the other side who could help out and reduce the queue. Our 4 bad experiences in one week:

1. Upon arrival we had to pay in advance for the safe. We had no CUC so had to quickly change some money at reception. It wasn't until afterwards we realised we were not given the exchange rate advertised and were 4 CUCs short.
2. Welcome meeting: we had a note under our room door about 2 hours before we were expected to come the morning after arrival. We went down and the lady was busy with someone else. After 10 mins we gave up and told the girl on reception - she seemed really amused when we said we weren't prepared to wait and weren't interested in trips anyway.
3. Moving day: it seemed it wasn't only us who wanted to move to a bungalow. On Monday at 3pm is was a very busy lobby area. We actually were there first in line. The girl said she would check if the room was ready and told us to sit down and wait to be called back by her. We then waited 20 mins and still no-one had called us...in the mean time there was a huge queue of people building. We decided to join the back of the queue, 40 mins later we got to the front and they didn't even acknowledge that they had forgotten about us! 1 hour wait seemed ridiculous - people should have been staggered in the allocation times to be given new rooms.
4. The worst of all was on check out. We had to wait about 35mins in a queue at the check out side of the desk. the annoying thing was the rest of the people in the queue were exchanging currency and when we finally got to the front it took less than 1 minute to check us out. I asked the 2 women on the check in side of the desk if we could leave the room card with them but they insisted we queue of the check out side of the desk.

Overall because of the small annoyances above we were not 100% happy with the hotel. Added to this bad transfer experiences on the shuttle bus and the long transfer time from Havanna airport we will probably not return to Cuba. That's not to say we didn't had a lovely holiday there were just too many small things that put us off.

Note: some of the reviews mentioned a free bottle of rum in rooms and also a drink when leaving the hotels. Don't expect this - I think there's only one Canadian tour company that this is done for (Sunwing?). either way its not worth having these expectations and then being disappointed.

Also, I left some gifts for the maid (clothes, makeup etc) and she was really pleased she told me her daughter really appreciated it. If you can fit anything in your suitcase any of the staff I got the impression they would genuinely appreciate andything you can spare.

Room Tip: Bungalow for privacy and to be away from the hustle and bustle of the main resort.
3 Thank LeedsRachael
Dear Friends,

First of all thank you very much for your review. Second I am glad that even with small annoyances, you found our hotel to be great and worth of your recomendation. I feel sorry that you dod not informed no one about your inconviniece, and we did not have opotunity to solve it. However, if you decide to give us another chance please do not hesitate to contact me. It will be my personal plasure to make your holiday (as you said) lovely and this time unforgetable.

Wileville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Tainos February 27 - March 5 and had a wonderful, relaxing vacation. Our travel agent had requested a bungalow room for us and we were the last before the beach (#3814; second floor); quiet and close to the beach and pool. The room was large with a nice deck area. Esmelda surprised us daily with her creations and fresh flowers in the room. The nightly musical entertainment outside was great and the nightly shows were always a surprise, ranging from the Lion King to the Grammys to acrobats. The a la carte Japanese restaurant is well worth it; the buffet food overall was fine, lots of choices, sangria and champagne to start was a nice welcome to the evening meals. We even had a fried egg sandwich at 12:30am after arriving at the resort! Staff were always pleasant; managers always around chatting with folks. The trip to Havana/Tropicana well worth it but is a long day/night. The beach was fantastic; lots of loungers and places to sit with staff right there to help. The beach vendors were nonintrusive. We enjoyed catching the double decker into Varadero and wondering around the markets; good prices and unique items. We would definitely recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms are well worth it; spacious, private, and quiet with large balconies. Top floor is pr...
11 Thank Greg T
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your review. We are more then plesed that you found so many things to be good, and worth of recomandation. We do hope to see you in the near future and do not hesitate to contact us.

Wush you all the best

Iberostar Tainos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
1976.6 km away
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
7.6 km away
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Tainos? Share your experiences!