“Awesome Trip !!!”

Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Saint John, Canada
“Awesome Trip !!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Our first trip to the Tanios was from March 13 to 20th. I have been to Cuba x5 but this was my first time at the Iberostar Tainos. I cannot say enough about this resort and would not have a problem to recommend it to anyone.
From the moment we arrived in Cuba at the airport,to check in(fast and efficent.. girls with great personalities and beautiful smiles) and for our week at the resort , I have no complaints.
The staff made this resort. They were wonderful people and couldnt do enough for all the guests. By the end of our trip they knew our names, how we liked our coffee, what type of wine we liked with our meals and were so pleasant.
Our room was perfect , cleaned with fresh linens and towels daily and lovely towel art on our bed..nice touch..
We have no complaints about the food and enjoyed every meal and the huge variety of snacks, served through out the day. The drinks were awesome as was the house wine (red or white).
The grounds were well kept and manicured. Everything was clean and maintained. The resort was busy with lots of activities (if you wanted to join) and the local bands ROCKED!!
My husband and I both had a massage (60 min) ...no complaints at all...total relaxation..
The beach...what can I say...its perfect..
I can honestly say we have found a home in Cuba and will return to the Tainos on our next visit. I count the days and can hardly wait to see everyone again...such wonderful people..so many to mention so I won't in case I miss someone..

Bruce and Sally Duguay (Room 3114)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sallyduguay
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Bruce and Sally,

First of all ,thank you very much ,for your review. We all, are totaly guest orienteted. And the persons, who works in our hotel ,always look for the guests satisfaction. Sometimes, there are some of the guests ,who are a bit desrespectful to my team, but your kind of people and this kind of comments ,are our main motiv ,to continue a good work. I hope ,that whenever you decide to visit us again ,you will contact me.

Wish you all the best

Iberostar Tainos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nova Scotia ,Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here from March 20 until March 27. There definitly is a reason this property is rated as good as it is. The value for your money is second to none. It starts with the trip from the airport, (a quick 30 to 40 minutes). Check-in at the front desk with smiling faces and staff trying to accomodate your needs (about 20 minutes). The Bellboy takes you to your rooms and also explains the room key opperations, as did the check-in staff (about 2 min. to Bungalows). We were in a Bungalow room (our friends were in the Hotel first night-until staff switched them to a Bungalow room) the Hotel rooms were bigger, but the elevator was a litle old and musky. I am not sure about the view from Hotel rooms on the beach side, but the roadside view wasn`t so good...The rooms are older but they seem to be updating a few at a time. A beach view is unavalable from any of the Bungalows because there were trees and vegetation towards the water. The Bungalow room we had was in Building 31, and was very centrally located to beach, bars and lobby. The maid kept everything spotless and filled the bar fridge every second day (1.5 ltr water, orange pop, cola pop , lemon lime,Chrystal beer, Bucanneer beer,) You can refill your water at the Buffet Restaurant or the Lobby bar (and the other bars , I think). The beach was beautiful, we would get there after 7, and it was well cleaned of seaweed and until arround 9 there was no problem in getting palapas or loungers (carried by one of the emloyees to where you wish). You didn`t have to book the watercraft in advance and the wait for almost everything was at max 20 minutes (even for them to take you on the Hobie Cat). The bars were all well equiped with local beer and spirits and at the lobby bar some international brands. The activities were beach and pool volleyball, archery, air gun shooting, Salsa classes ,etc with an Animation team second to none. The ping pong tables were next to the Towel area where you had to exchange your towel card for towels --and exchange dirty towels for new when necessary (before check-out, get your card for your last towels and take to check-out desk --or fee will apply). The food was great-- one Buffet restaurant that served breakfast, dinner, supper--pool side restaurant that had continental breakfast before the Buffet, and was then the location for a snack bar and different barbequed items until 5 pm. There were two A-la Cartes , Japanese and Cuban. We went to Japanese twice,--it was soo good (but don`t expect completely Traditional Japanese Fare), and the Buffet for supper the rest of the time. You could take your own wine to any meal to be opened (resort wine was surprisingly good). The Animation team and other dancers would do the evening shows (we only saw two, but they were very well done!). We met the Manager, Dejan, on the second day we were there and he went out of his way to greet us and ask how our stay was, he even sent a gift to our room!. Which brings me to the staff--I think well respected and happy workers (from their boss and the tourists),will go the extra mile and be more productive and this was definitly the case here. Smiles, hugs, and helping hands were all everywhere (even with the more inebriated tourists). I know I am forgetting names, but Kudos to: Carlos,Daylyn,Hulios,Lucy,Betty,George,Tony,Marcos,Elvis, and the Whole Gang!!!

Room Tip: All the Bungalows have corner rooms and are centrally located.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank mayhecobound
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much and I will send your review to the Whole Gang. We are glad that you had a good time here at Iberostar Tainos. I am glad that you recognize some improvements of the rooms, and we will continue. We are always seeking the best for all our guests.

General Manger
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We just got back last night from our trip and I must admit we loved it. We stayed at the Blau hotel almost next door last year, which i would also recommend, but this one had a few differences. I found the food at the Iberostar Tainos to be pretty good, they even had a Mexican theme one night and you could get Corona, which I thought was a nice touch. They had a nice variety in the beginning but as the week went on we seen the same dishes over and over. In regards to the restaurants, the Japanese one was excellent, both the food and the service. However the Cuban restaurant wasn't up to the same standard as Sakura (The Japanese one). The food wasn't as good and neither was the service so we ended up booking Sakura twice and we loved it both times. We were lucky enough to get a Bungalow which was excellent, however friends who travelled with us didn't get one until the next day. We seen the actual hotel rooms and they really need some renovation, our friends were very pleased to switch rooms the next day. The beach was fabulous and the pool was very nice as well. No trouble getting chairs at either of them. They had games all day long with free giveaways like rum and massage certificates which i thought was great.

Overall we thought it was a great resort and we had alot of fun. We happened to stumble across a lovely drink we never had before, the Miami Vice, half pina coloda and half strawberry daquiri i think? But definitely worth your while to order one. But definitely get a Bungalow if you can and book your restaurants as soon as you are checked in.

Room Tip: Request a bungalow on the higher level
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Cbrooker17
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your nice review. All your comments about the Mexican night and the good time that you had in our hotel. All your comments about the Cuban restourant we will check and improve everything taht can be improve. The imporvemnts of all our services is an ongonig proces, and it also icludes the rooms. We hope to see you in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We loved the Tainos – there’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said here. To recap; lovely grounds that are immaculately kept, amazing beach (best stretch in Varadero), friendly staff, excellent food (there’s always something being freshly cooked, we especially liked the food), rum, rum and more rum!!

Special thanks to the lobby bar staff who were particularly friendly and did the best coffee and cocktails and also to Beatriz in the buffet restaurant who never failed to have a huge smile on her face; it was a joy to be served by her. Management were very visible throughout our trip which we respected and valued. Luis, the First Choice rep, is a bit of a legend and we loved chatting to him – he doesn’t give the hard-sell on trips (I’ve uploaded a price list as a pic) and gave great local restaurant recommendations as well as the proper ritual to smoke a cigar (dipping it in rum etc!)

We also loved the Japanese restaurant and went a couple of times – the waiting staff were exceptional and sooooo friendly and Felix put on a great show!!

The shows were pretty good, certainly entertaining, and it was clear the Ents staff worked really hard – we weren’t bothered to join in most of the time and they respected that and left you in peace.

The only thing that really saddened me was the attitude of some guests, in particular we noticed the French Canadians. You are no better than the people serving you, simply because you can afford to holiday here. There is just no reason to be rude. A simple smile and the odd tip goes a long way to the hard working and charming staff. My hubbie actually had to hold me back a few times as I wanted to leap to the defence of staff and chase after the people at the Japanese who couldn’t even manage to leave 1CUC for the exemplary hard work and wouldn’t even shake the chef’s hand. Shocking behaviour but above all it just made me sad to see how the staff just professionally sucked it up; obviously well used to it.

But, it was clear from our visit there was a lot of love from returning guests (particularly Canadians) for the staff and that was endearing to watch.

I’m not sure we’d return to Vardero in a hurry, it’s very much ‘fake’ Cuba – but if we did then I would certainly come back to this small, friendly, perfect little resort.

Room Tip: We emailed in advance and asked for a first floor bungalow with a king size bed - they very kindly o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jemtee77
Dear Friends,

First of all let me tell you that I found your review to be very nice. At this moment I have pass your comments onto Lobby staff, Beatriz, Felix, and Entertainment staff. Tomorow I will pass your comments to Luis, The First Choice Rep. I agree with you, all my staff are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our guests. And despite that sometimes some of the guests are disresectful they never loose the smile. On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Tainos, thnak you one more time.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Our first stay in Varadaro. Mar 17 to 22 2012 in 1131 and 2502. Stayed with my 13 yr old daughter for 5 nights. Had a very plesant stay. She loved the buffet but I enjoyed the Japanese and Cuban Restrauants more. My biggest disapointment was the coffee. At the lobby bar it was good but in the buffet restaurant it was not what I, as a Canadian, was hoping for. Get rid of the hot skim milk and get real cream. Great warm pool, lots of chairs and nice comfortable, plesant but not overly fancy rooms. Good hot water and showers. Staff was always more than great, always friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Christina on the front desk for moving us to a quieter room and M at the tour desk, by the window, for sorting out quickly and efficently a last minute problem with a cat tour. If you want a pampered spa holiday look elsewhere but for a family or couple looking for a quiet comfortable room, family friendly food/service and a nice pool to play in this is a good value place you should consider. Would certainly stay here again. Jim

Room Tip: main building rooms were big enough for 2 but loud till about midnight. good ac. best for couples/no...
6 Thank Jim G
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for nice review. We are more then please taht you has such a good time here at Iberostar Tainos. All your observation will be checked at once. I will pass your nice comments to Cristina at the repcetion. And whenever you decide to visit us again do not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you all the best.

Bradford, Ontario
Reviewed 23 March 2012

First off, you can not expect Cuba to be as your home country. They do not have the means.
For what they do have, it is excellent. We tourists who go down to these places and expect them to be as we would back at home, forget it, it's not going to happen.
If you want to pick on everything that is negative about a place that you are staying, stay at home. You should not go out.
All the negative reviews that are posted, and pictures that go along with them are just spiteful. For these same people that do this, there own place is no better. Anyone can make anything that is good, look bad.
The people are freindly, not as the tourist who treat them with disrespect claim them to be.
Iberostar Tanios was great. Did it miss having something, yes, but you can not make everyone happy. The General Manager was great, he came around, quite a few times and asked what was needed, how we were, food etc. To show his appreciation, he sent Rum to the room.
The rooms were great, clean linen each day, room made up nicely, and when you did run into the maid, she asked what was needed. What more do you want.
The food was good, some nights better than others. All our family came back with a weight gain.
There was enough to please everyone, anytime.
The tourists were the pigs.......they would fill their plates have a bite and leave for the waiter to throw away...........you would not do that at your house, why do it here.
All the staff worked hard to make that extra tip....so that they could provide for their family.
In short, it comes down to this: the negative reviews are given by people who should not leave their own home, as they are slobs themselves and probably have a place that is not fit to live.
The resort was great, they made you welcome, the drinks we plentiful, food was great, and the rooms gave you a good nights sleep. The shower had hot water and fresh linens for the room.
The front desk was courtious and the management helpful and polite.
It is my second time to an Iberostar Hotel, sixth time to Cuba, and I enjoyed it.
Romano 3613

22 Thank Romano F
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Mr. Romano,

Thank you very much for all the nice words. At the end of the day ,we all are just humans, and we should treat each other with respect. I agree with you. Your observation that personel, here at Iberostar Tainos, are hardworking people, is true. We all ,seek the best for all our clients. Your fedback is really kind and nice, in the name of the staff and managemnet here at Ibs. tainos thnak you one more time, and we do hope to see you again.

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned from our third visit to Iberostar Tainos and LOVED it!!! We have always felt that the staff are dedicated to making our holiday memorable and this year was no different...special thanks to Franki at the Beach bar for his kind efforts! The hotel manager Mr. Grubanov is very personable--a real "hands-on" leader. The addition of live music over the lunch hour is great...this compliments the night time outside music perfectly...The food was very good..I noticed the addition of spices and a greater variety on the buffet. There was always an abundance of food and everyone was able to find something they liked. The beach at Tainos is the best and we have walked to either end. The animation team had many fun activities that you could choose to take part in, but there was never any pressure to participate. The hotel is being refurbished over the next year with a renovation in the lobby, relocating the beach bar and redoing 120 rooms. We are very excited to see this when we go next March. Because this is a smaller hotel, there is a comfortable, family feeling...we especially enjoyed meeting a wonderful family from Quebec City, who helped to make our holiday perfect...many, many thanks to the amazing people of Iberostar Tainos. Can't wait to see you again!

12 Thank LDM499
Dear Friends,

First thank you very much for your feedback. I will pass your words to Franki and to the animation team. I would like to thank you for recogazing all of the improvements. It is an ongoing proces and we always seek the best for all our clientes. Please, before your next visit it will be my pleasure if you contact me.