“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
N Wales
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Returned this morning from the best holiday ever. This hotel is amazing, an excellent all-inclusive resort. Can't say enough good things about the staff - from the outrageous Elvis and the entertainment team to waitresses, bar staff and housekeeping. Always lots of choice of good quality food in the restaurants, all premium brands included in the bars (including a choice of over 20 cocktails) Always something going on all day, poolside games, salsa lessons and superb shows which we went to every night! (I usually 'avoid' hotel evening shows)
I know that we wil return to this hotel, hopefully next year. Well worth 10 hours on the plane.

Room Tip: Request a bungalow room - very nice, although main block rooms are also good but best with a pool vi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PnWL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Mar 25 - Apr 9 2012, We stayed at this hotel and it was wonderful. The rooms are basic but clean. The pool area could be a little clearner with all of the cups, straws and napkins. However, the staff, Elvis, George, Nayilne, Betty, Geno, and Denisse, make it a 5 star experience. The beach is out of this world and the water was like a bath tub. A must to do is the catamaran experience, but would not waste my day with the jeep tour. The hotels shows, music, and the entertainment was also 5 star. The director, Dijan is around 24/7 and really wants you to enjoy y our stay. We shall return as we were treated like family. The food I was nervous about and was very impressed with the qualiity and variety. The friends that we accompanied have been there 8 times, and I now understand why. First class.

Room Tip: The resort is nice and small, so any room is great. The rooms in the hotel may be loud as people si...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank FunFunFunEdmonton
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you had a good holiday and we do hope to see you in the future. All our staff are hardworking people alwyas sekking the best for all our clientes.

Wish you and your family all the best

Swift Current
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I found this hotel to be wonderful, and I honestly do believe that was due to the wonderful staff! They were very helpful, and friendly! Rooms were nice, nothing fancy, but a place to sleep. The patio on the main building I found to be much to small. Food was decent, not the best, I did wish there was more fruit and salads. Gorgeous beach, kept fairly clean. My only complaint on my stay was that we are English, and almost everyone there spoke french. Many of the shows during the day were catered to the French, so it was hard to understand what was going on in them most of the time! The majority of guests staying there were older, so if your looking for a quiet place to stay this would be the one. I myself would have preferred a more lively bunch. One thing I noticed is the constant pestering about tips, we spend about 400.00 on tips alone, we tip for everything, so when we had to constantly hear tour guides, and staff telling us about tipping it tended to become a bit annoying. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, but I think if we ever go back to cuba we will pick a more lively hotel. The friendly staff really made our stay worth while!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying off the main building as they have large decks making your room much more...
2 Thank MinMcGregor
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your comments. I asure you that imrovements is an ongoing proces and that in our hotel we will have lot of the new moments. However, feel free to contact me and give me more info about the tipping problems.

Wish you and your family all the best.

Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Ok, will try not to make this long but might be difficult. Much has been said so I will try not to repeat too much. Firstly, this was our 7th time to Cuba, 3rd to Veradero. We have stayed at 2 other Iberostars in Veradero and can say without a doubt that we will return to Iberostar Tainos.
It is a small resort which is what we like. We stayed in a bunglow, pool view. Perfect. Exactly what we requested. Not a lot of walking to get to anything, including the beach. Beach is beautiful!!!
We are not picky but we found the food to be top notch. I actually came home with some new dishes to make myself. We also enjoyed the house wine that was available but you do have the option to buy a higher end brand of wine if you wish.
Ok, I would like to give a few of the names that we remember of the staff who were so wonderful and welcoming to us.
Lobby bar: Daylin, Carlos Fraga Reisel and Sandy
Pool Bar: Julio (the best, sweetest man), Daysy, George, Franki and Betty
Buffet: Orlando (wonderful man), Beatrice( you will know her by her big, beautiful smile)
Animation Staff: ELVIS ( funniest guy ever!) , Rudolph( biggest hair ever!, very good dancing teacher), Macareana, Julio Ceasar, Fermin, Chino( head of animation) and sweet Gisele. You will just know who she is.
The animation staff are wonderful. They ask you if you want to join in and don't bother you if you don't want to. They will sit and chat. They make you feel like family. Wonderful, warm people.
Housekeeping does a wonderful job. Our housekeeper, Elien did a great job and gave us the best towel art we have ever had. Always very clean room. If any problems, taken care of immediately. Our air conditioning wasn't working well the first day and when we asked about it, they came right away.
The resort is not perfect. As is no resort. Please try to overlook the little inperfections and enjoy the beauty and family atmosphere of this wonderful place and beautiful people.
Last but certainly not least, we would like to acknowledge Mr. Dejan Grubanov, the General Manager of Iberostar Tainos. We saw him every day and he talked with us everytime he saw us. He remembered our names after one meeting and treated us very well. In all of our trips anywhere, we have never met the manager of the resort. Mr. Grubanov is hands on with his staff and clients of the hotel. He wants to know of any improvements and wants to make sure you are enjoying yourselves.
Best of all is that he loves his staff and treats them very well. They also love him. This is something I think you don't come across very often. It is paying off because you can see how relaxed the staff is and that has made it like one big family.
Our hats off to you Dejan! We will be back!
Christopher and Lisa Hudson

Room Tip: You have a choice of a bungalow or the main building. We like the 2 storey bungalows. They seem to b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pumkinhead
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Friends Chritopher and Lisa Hudson,

It was our plasure. Thank you very much for everything and especialy for being nice to all my staff. I have alredy pass you review to everubody that you have mentioned and it was hihgly apriciated. T
On a behalf of Daylin, Carlos,Fraga, Reisel, Sandy,Julio, Fermin, Chino,Giselle,Elien,Macareana,Orlando ELVIS and my perosnal name thank you and it was our plasure of meeting you.Whenever you decide to visit us again please do not heistate to contact me. Dear family see you again.

Wish you all the best

Windsor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had the misfortune of staying at this property from March 24-31/2012. Now to fill in some blanks, I have travelled extensively through the years including 4 other trips to Varadero, a trip to Cayo Coco, Puerto Plate, Punta Cana, Jamaica, and Mexico and overseas. I am very familiar with the low quality of food in Cuba and went there this time knowing this. The food was 100 times worse than even I would have stated before. This resort ran out of so many things through the week and didn't have many others. I will go blow by blow so as to state some positive things and state the terrible things where they are needed.

The Resort

Very well laid out, well maintained, it is a small quaint approx 220 room establishment. They do their best to keep it clean and looking nice. The staff was friendly, not as friendly as a few other resorts in Cuba I have stayed but they are pleasant. This resort is a little more than half way down the peninsula so it is a ways from town. The double decker bus does come just at the highway and for $5 pesos you can hop on and off all day. It takes you to all the resorts and to their downtown area.

The Beach & Pool

The beach is amazing, white sand, beautiful water and well maintained, very few rocks and the water is breathtaking. We spent very little time at the pool (almost none) but it did look very well maintained and both always had chairs and palopas to sit under and use.

The Rooms

Very decent and maids were excellent. AC worked great and water pressure was fine in the shower. They only give you one large bottle of water and you have to refill it at a bar or in the restaurant buffet through your stay. Beds were quite comfortable too!

The People

The other guests were considerably older than us. We are 35-40 and the average age was over 60 on this resort. We also found they were predominantly French. We did have a fair number of UK Guests and a few from around the European world. Very few English speaking guests. The workers were for the most part very friendly. The more you tip them or give them things, the nicer they became. My Girlfriend also found them to be very male pleasing. They seemed to not wait on her or treat her nearly as friendly as they did myself and other male guests.

The Food

AWFUL! AWFUL! AWFUL! I could have never imagined how AWFUL this resort was for food compared to others I have stayed at. The buffet had NO chicken our entire stay. We saw NO breast meat chicken after the first night and that was at the Japanese al a carte. We returned a few days later to the Japanese and they had no chicken at all. They had TONS of eggs and no chickens to eat. We went to the Cuban a la carte and could not eat at all. We lived on omelets in the morning and pasta for lunch and dinner. The pasta was ok but depends on who cooked it. They ran out of onions, cheese, and lettuce through the week. The selection NEVER changed day to day on the buffet. Always the same and it was very very bad. The bread was very good; the omelets were usually good again depending on the chef making them. We never saw mushrooms and it varied for peppers, onions. We don't eat pork or fish so we saw very little protein the entire week.

Now, if you go to the town of Varadero, the food is excellent in the restaurants, we went to La Fondue and it was superb. It was the only other time we saw chicken breast on our trip. We had a fantastic cheese fondue, appetizers, a beer each and the bill was 1/5th of what it is at home here in Canada. We paid with tip 25 pesos for both to eat. Also, in town they really pride themselves on Lobster tails. We don't eat them but everyone else raved of them at every restaurant.

The Downtown area

It is really safe and interesting, plenty of shops, markets, souvenirs, restaurants, parks and great friendly people from all over the world. That double decker bus is a great way to see the town and walking is a great way to see everything up close. The old cars are amazing to see and most are taxis with really awesome hood ornaments.

Excursions

We did the jeep safari tour. It is the best value for the money as you see the most. You go for a 45 minute catamaran ride on the river, go swimming in the underground caves, drive through the countryside in your own jeep (4 people), Have lunch on a government farm, go horseback riding, pedal boating, also includes snorkeling at the reef but the water was to rough that day we went so it was not done. I have done it before and it is amazing.

Entertainment

Very Bad, cheesy, boring. Don't waste your time going to them. Hang out at the lobby Bar and let Carlos mix you the best drinks on the resort.

Overall

Varadero is a great place with an amazing beach, nice friendly people, the resort nice to see but TERRIBLE food & Selection of food. I have stayed at Breezes Varadero ( AWESOME) We have had friends stay at Iberostar Playa Alameda and Laguna Azul both had rave reviews. Do your homework before picking your resort. If you want quiet and don't mind going to town each day to eat lunch and dinner, then you will enjoy this resort. If you want better selection, closer to town or more upbeat enjoyment of games and party atmosphere, go to another resort.

Room Tip: Stay in a villa out of the main lobby tower.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BigDaddy77
Dear Clients,

First of all, let me thank you for at least some, of the nice words, a part from the rest ( bad ones). Averige age in our hotel is 35-40, in the period that you were in our hotel almost 49 % were English speaking guests. We are very sorry that you had felt that way about our restaurtants, but, we can not compare Cuba with Mexico, Domincan R. Jamaica etc, and sometimes the previous holiday experience, lead us to expectation of the same, or similar ,on some other holiday destination. The best will be that we can go with open mind. If you were familiar with low quality of the food on Cuba, before your arrival, there is no to much things , that we could do to change your opinion.
Most of the reviews prais our food, and I assure you that food improvement is an ongoing proces, and we are doing the best we can. I feel sorry that you did not try to contact us, and maybe we could manage to improve your opinion. Also, this is first time that someone found our staff to be this way. Most of other reviews prais the good and hardwork of all our staff. Cuban people are the most friendly and happy people on the world, if there was a guestures of my staff that make you feel this way we do apologize. It seems to me, that it was kind of misunderstandig.However, we will take your comments into consideration, and fell free to contact me.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I want to share our time at Iberostar Tainos. We have been to Cuba many many times and have never experienced anything like this Hotel. The moment we walked in the front doors we never felt like strangers. The front desk ladies, the doorman, Chef's, cleaning and grounds staff were so professional, fun and easy to have a laugh with.
The beach, pool and all that goes with that was terrific. But, the most amazing thing to us was the kindness and generosity of the General Manager of the Hotel. I would go back just to be around him!!!! There were so many neat things that happened there such as bar service at the beach, icecream cones offered and fruit kabobs offered at the pool really such a nice touch.
We will be going back! Thank you again Mr. General Manager and staff. Sincerely room 3704!! :)

6 Thank manitobagirl
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for all the nice words. And especilay about the staff and their professionalism. We all are hardworking people looking for the ebst for all our clients. It was our plasure to have you here at Iberostar Tainos. Please do not hesitate to contact me before you next visit.

Wish you all the best

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We travelled during our March Break (11th-18th) and had a Fantastic time. There were 3 of us as our 16 year old son came with us. In addition 4 other adults also made the trip. We stayed in Bungalow 3211 which is very close to all the resort activities, Gym (our son was there everyday), Pool, Buffet, Restaurants and the Beach. Prior to our visit we requested a bungalow if possible and were fortunate to get one. Many thanks to Livia for helping us out.

This was our 2nd visit to Cuba and first to the Varadero area. Couldn't ask for anything more as the Beach was awesome and the staff at Tainos are First Class. They were always smiling and willing to help at any time.

Our Chambermaid was fantastic, keeping our room clean and decorated at every opportunity. We were able to provide her with some clothes and school supplies for her family and she gave us a note expressing her thanks and how it would make a difference for her family. A blessing to be able to help those who need it most.

The Food at the resort was very good. I am not one for a lot of spices anyway and we all had no trouble finding lots to eat at every meal. Of course we love the desserts and ice cream is usually a big favourite. Our son became good friends with the omlette lady and greeted him every day with a smile. One of our waitresses, Rozanne, a real sweetheart, had my tea ready everyday as soon as she saw us come through the door. We wish her and her family all the best. Also, when we visited the Pool Bar and Buffet, Betty would always have a smile for us and bring us our Lemonade without the Rum, a standing joke throughout the week. We got to talk a bit with her and learn a bit about her family and her life. A very special person indeed.

During our lunches we were always entertained by Raciel and Lucia with their music and the dancing and singing from the "Star Friends". Doesn't get much better than that. They kept us entertained all week with their daily activities and evening presentations. Long hours for a very talented group of folks.

And of course the Beach, can't say enough about it as it was awesome, great weather, waves and swimming with lots of activities if you wished or just enjoy the sun and warm temperatures. I have to agree that the beach is one of the great attractions for us to relax and swim during our winter months.

Many thanks to ALL the staff at Tainos, including the front desk in answering any questions we had and pointing us in the right direction. We highly recommend this quaint resort and the feeling of it being a big family atmosphere due to the tremendous staff and the service that they provide. WE WILL BE RETURNING.

As a side comment on renovations and visitors comments on issues we take the positive side of life and go to enjoy our vacation, meet great people from Cuba and not worry about the small inconveniences that we might not have if we were home. For those folks that need their cream for their coffee go to Costco and purchase creamers in bulk, freeze them and store them in your room fridge when you get to Cuba. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

Room Tip: We recommend a Bungalow, agreeing with others who have commented. Did not see the hotel rooms but o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TwoTeaLovers
Dear Family,

I agree with you that Raciel and Lucia are the stars, they are very entertaining. I will pass you words to Livia, you chambermaid from room:3211,Rozzane,Betty, and to the team of recpetion. And I really apreciate your comments about the enjoying the life, and positivism. Yes renovations are on the way it is a bit slow proces but it is ongoing, and thank you one more time on a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Tainos.

Please before your next visit contact me.

Kind Regrads