“Exspected much much more of this expensive hotel!!!”

Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
BELGIUM
“Exspected much much more of this expensive hotel!!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel ending my week holiday in Cuba. First stayed 3 nights at Melia Las Americas in Varadero ( see review on TA) and one night at Iberostar Parque Central Havana Vieja ( see review on TA).Paid 70$ more a night for this hotel than the Melia so exspected to stay in an upgraded hotel.Quite disappointed about;
ROOM first night block 33 , old, not very clean, far away from the pool area Changed onto block 24 was renovated and front line beach! So better but still expensive for what you get! Don't understand why they don't give imm their best rooms to get satisfied clients!
FOOD food presentation on the buffet and beach restaurant was quite rough an not very inviting to taste. Had seen better at the other hotel! What annoyed me the most was that at the beach restaurant the people worked in the hotel , garderers, cleaning people, even a guy seliing cd's on the beach could pass the bbq and pick up ( with their hands!) iwhat they wanted A shame! OK food enough but offer this separate to the hotelstaff!!!
Romantico restaurant was just ok , italian really not eatable for us! Japanese was fully booked.
POOLbig pool very central on the resort, so if you have a room at block 35 or further quite a walk.
Didn't saw a lot of cleaning of these pools during my 3 day stay
BEACH quite some stones in the sand and the first 20 meters to get into the water. Better at the central beach area
In general very big hotel, running on automatic pilot, and much overpriced for what you get!
this away

Room Tip: Block 24 frontline beach
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PETER46Belgium
sw1963, Manager at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Peter, we sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your comments and feedback. They help us improve our service about the points you speak about, as we look forward to offer an outstanding service in the heart of Cuba. Hope to see you again! The ParadisusTeam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I visited the Paradisus Varadero with a couple of friends after a few days in Havana. Check-in was pretty painless, and they golf buggied us to our rooms. The rooms themselves were fine - large beds, a nice sitting area, TV etc. All the usual expected aminities for a 4* hotel were there - although the bathroom felt a little dated, I suspect this is more due to a lack of quality alternatives in Cuba.

There is a good selection of resturaunts, with the Japanese one a special favourite. Make sure you book in advance for these though, as otherwise you'll have to eat in the main buffet all the time. This would be no hardship however, as there's a very large selection of fresh food - most of it cooked to order for you.

The pool deserves a special mention - its a lovely lagoon syle pool, and is pretty large. We went after the school holidays were over and the pool was nearly empty of kids. There's another childrens pool, as well as a special one for those in the Royal section of the hotel. For the beach lovers, the hotel is right on Varadero beach - lovely soft white sand.

The all inclusive nature of the hotel is great - I don't think we paid for anything on top. The staff are all pretty friendly too - particular mention should go to the pool bar staff, who were excellent. One thing to mention - around 3pm they spend about 40 minutes shouting into a microphone to encourage people to take part in activities. When the hotel is full, this would be expected. However, it was probably only a third full when we were there - mostly adults and couples, none of whom want to take part in a samba activity!

One other thing - it was really hot. Seriously so... Cuba's location almost on the equator means the sun is very very strong. We'd apply sun cream, only for it to be sweated off in 10 minutes. One to watch if you've got kids, or burn easily.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank weeklycityvisitor
Many thanks for your comments on TripAdvisor. It is nice to hear good comments of the hotel and the service and make us proud to serve you. I encourage you to came back and experience first hand how the Paradisus service became even better every day
London
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed here in January 2012 and although I did expect more from a resort of this nature, I suspect that much of Cuban hotels are in the same state (I stayed in a 5 star hotel in Havana and it was similar), not to say this resort was in a bad state of repair, just not quite as polished as I would have expected. The staff were great and very friendly. The food in the restaurants was good and the buffet was pretty decent. Generally I found the food all over Cuba not to be the best quality or variety as what I would get at home, but this is to be expected considering Cuba has very little in the way of western conveniences and variety.
My husband and I had a massage and use the spa facilities and these were absolutely brilliant!
Out of all the restaurants on the resort the romantico and japanese were the best, the Cuban wasn't to my taste, although my husband enjoyed it... I think it was the fried chicken that swayed him!
The beach is lovely and well looked after by the resort staff. I would highly recommend this resort, I would just say that perhaps keep your expectations in check and if you want high end luxury then perhaps consider Barbados or St Lucia, where they seem to have access to more luxury then Cuba. All in all we had an amazing time in Cuba and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle A
Dear Michelle,

Thanks you for you review. We are moved by the concern for guests, service excellence, quality cuisine and sustainable tourism development in Cuba, a very singular and unique destination.

We expect that our service will honour and enhance the value of the country where they are located, highlighting the local culture and customs and prizing the environment.

We expect that the experience of staying in The Paradisus will be so rewarding that you will turn into a frequent client.
Thompson
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Visited this resort first week of April. Having been to Cuba previously and reading other reviews I will say my expectations were somewhat higher than what we encountered. The resort grounds, beach and pool were wonderful. Only encountered a handful of very friendly staff which was not my experiences in Cuba previously. Our rooms were decent but I can say that the year previously in Holguin for approximately half the price were much nicer. Rooms were clean and well air conditioned but somewhat run down. Also didn't have many places to put your clothes. Had two broken coffee makers but no big deal. Beach restaurant was not good, food left out uncooked and in plastic containers without ice. Enjoyed the Romantico and Japanese restuarant alot. Buffet always had alot of choices and was decent. Pool restaurant had great burgers that the kids enjoyed. Great coffee in the lobby bar! Leiydes at the smaller beach bar was fantastic! We also enjoyed the sports center staff where the kids tried their hands at archery and target shooting. When we chose this resort it was rated #1 and I feel it is because of the beautiful beach and pool area. We didn't stay in Royal Service but paid a great deal and don't feel that it was worth what we paid. I think we would try some where else if going back to Varadero.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank jennsmonty35
Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your comments and feedback. They help us improve our service about the aspects you speak about, as we look forward to offer an outstanding service in the heart of Cuba. Hope to see you again! The ParadisusTeam
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I have just spent a wonderful and restful week at the Paradisus Varadero. Our room was right on the beach and sitting on the terrace or laying on the bed looking out at palm trees, sand and sea was just stunning. After reading some reviews we were prepared to ask for an upgrade to Royal Service but we never once felt the need to do so. We did have a few minor quibbles, we were not too keen on the dinner time buffet choices, but this may have been more a personal choice thing than an issue with food quality. The breakfast buffet was excellent as were the themed restaurants and our dinners on the beach and at the pool were also very nice. The service in the bars and restaurants was excellent and I did not once have to wait long for a waitress. The beach, grounds and pool are first class and there always seemed to be sunbeds available. I have seen some reviews which have been quite scathing regarding the state of some rooms, although there are some signs of aging there seem to be widescale renovations going on, which I must point out were not at all intrusive to anyone staying there as far as we could tell.
On the whole an absolutely wonderful holiday in a beautiful hotel, I would not hesitate to return here if I ever return to Cuba.

Room Tip: Facing the beach for stunning views and sunsets.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank GlennCroc
Thank you for your review. We put a lot of effort to deliver comfort and outstanding service mixed with memorable memories in Cuba and in The Paradisus. Hope to see you soon again!
Kent
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Room was good although the roof leaked when it rained heavily. The pool here is the best that I personally have used at any hotel. It does not seem to be overly busy at any time and it is huge. The cushions on the loungers can also be used in the pool which is great. The beach is beautiful. Staff very nice and couldn't do enough for you. Would I recommend to anyone? Yes I would and I would return.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank HolsGalore01
sw1963, General Manager at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Hello dar Guest

Thank you very much for recommending us, and also for having our hotel in your plans for next vacations, will be great to have you back, thanks once more for choosing us all ther way.

Besta Regards,
Mohamad Fawzi
General Manager.
Swansea
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful time in the Royal Service section. Just what we needed after the 7 day highlights of Cuba, which by the way was wonderful.
The room was spacious, spotless and with everything you could want. Plenty of storage space, whirlpool double bath and a great outside shower which was very refreshing.
All the staff, including our Butlers Fernando and Yolandi were so friendly and helpful, they could not do enough for us.
We had Bali beds and umbrella's reserved daily and tables for dinner booked. Thank you to the two lads especially.
It was a great hotel just to walk around and not hardly a mosquito in site.
By the pool drinks were on hand and a constant supply of fresh fruit was a nice touch.
Our bath was broken when we first tried it and by the time we returned from lunch it was fixed. Geat service.
My only slight, (very slight in the grand scheme of things) complaint was the food in the a la carte. It went from excellent to pretty bad. This in our view was the only thing they could have done better. One night my wife was served raw pork in the Cuban eatery and I was given the toughest fish I have ever eaten in the Royal Service. But lets face it unless you are willing to spend 10s of thousands there is always a chance of this. Also you could spend £100 in London and get overcooked food.
Even when we left we had a private transfer arranged for us which was s great way to leave.
I would highly recommend this hotel and the Royal Service section. We would not hesitate to go back.
Thank you to all the staff there for making our honeymoon special. Hope to see you one day again.

J.P

Room Tip: Go for the Royal Service section. More quiet, better pool, service, rooms and so on.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John251Swansea
Hello dear guests

I´m very pleased to know how great was your honeymoon in our resort, thanks for choosing us to spend such a special date, from now on we are part of your best memories and I´m sure you will come back to revive everything again, will be a honor to have you back, I hope it will be soon.

Regards,