“great vacation here, won't be disappointed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Las Antillas

Melia Las Antillas
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Windsor, Canada
“great vacation here, won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were there from feb14th to 21st. Had a great time. First room was a disappointment but was promised a change in the morning. this happens anywhere you go. Next room was 3rd floor overlooking the grounds in the main building.Nice for going down to the lobby to grab a quick coffee before breakfast. They make great coffee and cappucinos. Buffet in main hotel as well. Then once you are ready for pool and beach, you will find all a cart restaurants, the pool bar, good for quick lunches and snacks and there is a bar at the entrance to the beach. One draw back I wish their was a food and washrooms at the beach bar. But plenty of lounges available everywhere.
Great staff! Majority speak english and go out of their way to help you. No problems with the food. Typical buffet but it also had chefs barbequing your meat and fish to your liking which tasted the best. marinated and seasoned and not overcooked! be sure to go out the to the side doors of the buffet restaurant for the outdoor bbq. of course the chefs cooking eggs and noodle dishes any way you like them are great too. Ala- carts are fine just don't order chicken or beef, usually overcooked, We could of asked for less cooked but didn't bother. Fish is always supreme.
Someone once said the ponds stunk, we never had a problem with anything stinking, the ponds were lovely and full of fish. beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: try for the 4th floor, 3rd floor good, 4th even better. Don't be afraid to ask for a room chang...
4 Thank marie l
Fabrizio T, General Manager at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort, it is really a pleasure to know, you have enjoyed your vacations.
We are so sorry to hear that your first room was disappointment, all ours rooms inside are same, the difference is in the view, but we are glad know that you felt well in the other one.
We are going to send your comments about the food at our chef and your opinions to all our staff. We hope you can come back to Meliá Las Antillas again very soon.
Fabrizio Testoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I loved this resort and would head back tomorrow.

The grounds and pool area were beautiful. Clean, well-tended, plenty of lounge chairs. The beach was unforgettable. Miles of power sand, aqua water and enough palapas to go around.

Our room was spotless. I thought the king size bed was really comfortable. The food was fantastic. Between the buffet dishes, salad bar, fruit bar, seafood-as-you-request, woodfired pizza station, outdoor barbeque grill, breakfast omelette bar, as-you-request pasta station, I had more than enough to eat. The bread is baked on-site and is first class. We don't normally eat a lot of bread at home, but it was so good we giggled like kids as we kept go back for more. We enjoyed great waitresses and waiters in the dining room.

We got into all three a la cartes during our 7 day stay. Outstanding food, professional, attentive service and out of this world desserts. The bar tenders all poured generously, and were friendly and fast.

The maid looking after our room provided fresh towels each day. The room was cool, pleasant, quiet and bug-free.

I thought the evening entertainment was great. The singers, band and dancers were excellent. There were two performances (a ballet-inspired evening and a flamenco-inspired evening) that truly made me think I had bought tickets to a major concert hall event.

I appreciated that at 11 p.m. the music was turned off, the resort was quiet and we could enjoy a nice drink on our patio and head to bed or wander around undisturbed.

This seemed to be crowd of 40's and up, so if you are looking for a resort to party day and night, this may not be your best choice, but if you are looking for a beautiful setting, with comfortable rooms and nice grounds to relax and enjoy a drink (or several) in the sun with your mate or group of friends, this would be an excellent choice.

I thought this was a perfect vacation destination. We would head out on a few energetic excursions some of the days, but I always looked forward to spending the evening relaxing and laughing at the resort. For 3 days we did nothing but lounge around the pool, beach, and giant chess game and wandering the paths, and still couldn't get enough of the place.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the blocks toward the beach that are not attached to the main hotel. It was my f...
4 Thank elldee75
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know your opinions about your holidays at our resort, it is really a pleasure to know, you have enjoyed your vacations. It is really good that you liked our beach, our grounds and pool area, our food, the room you were staying in and the evening entertainment we have prepared for our customers. We are very happy to learn that you were pleased with the variety of food offered at the restaurants.
Our staff is very pleased to know that you find our resort a perfect vacation destination. Thank you very much for giving us the chance to offer you a nice time with us. We hope you can come back to Meliá Las Antillas again very soon and give us a second chance to make your vacations such a wonderful experience.
Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent two weeks in this hotel in Varadero, Cuba. We had a suite in the first floor. So there were only garden wiev. At firtst they did not find our reservation. Hopefully our quide was with us, and they finally got it. But the first floor was not what I expected, beacuse we had booked this hotell almost one year ago,
Good in this hotel: Lobby bar and restaurants were nice and clean. So was the garden. The pool was good, and which the best, this hotell was only for adults:) The beach was very nice, when it wasn't windy. Althought in our two weeks vacation we swam almost every day in the sea. Sometimes in the near of pool area you can smell a little bit sewer..
Not so good: Rooms were quite old - but it was good for sleeping. Be carefull with mosquitos, you can't see or hear them - only in the next day you can see the small, red patches on your legs (if you don't wear long pants..)
I am very allergic to fish and seafood, and when I told that to the staff they make me sure, that I didn't taste any of them - they cook me a special meal, if I wanted - A big thanks for that.!!!
We enjoyed these 2 weeks there. If you want a place with umberella in the beach - it is better to go to the beach early in the morning. there were some shopkeepers at the beach, but they did'n disturb you, if you just say "No thank you". The women are very happy if you give them your parfums, sandals, shampoo, conditioner, and all like that. I gave them some, which I didn't use so much any more. For the housekeeper it is a good present.
We went for a day trip to Havanna and one one day catamarane trip. They both were worth of it. Havanna is a nice place, althougt we could stay there 2 days. In the sea trip we went to the some kind of "dolphin zoo" and there the dolphins show you their tricks and you even could get a kiss from dolphin. They took a picture of that and came to our hotell, but I had missunderstood their arrival time, so we did'n ever get it. But it was very nice experience.
In varadero they call this hotell 4 stars. Ok, the lobby, reception area were nice, but our "suite" was a dissappointment. So next time we will take 5 star hotell - but this was nice, because it was meant only adult (over 16 years).
All inclusive was good enough - if you can eat everything, it could be better then than for me - but the flambéed bananas were great - Oh so good!!!!!
There was a minibar in our room, and every our first days I had to call to room service, that they will fill the bar with TWO beers - because there were only one. After few calls we got thar 2 beers, 2 cokes and 2 water. If you have booked a room with sea wiev you can get one bottle of rom, in your arrival:)
I would recommen this hotell - allthought I dreamed of better.

Room Tip: Sea wiev room ,House number 6 was quiet area, near the pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tarru
Fabrizio T, General Manager at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort, it is really a pleasure to know, you have enjoyed your vacations, although there were some things you did not like.
We are so sorry to hear that you had a problem with getting an umbrella on the beach, and with the smell in the pool area. We are working o this issues to improve them.
We are glad that you found wonderful all the restaurants and the food in general, and that you liked the gardens and the beach.
We hope you can come back to Meliá Las Antillas again very soon and give us a second chance to erase the small things were not pleasant for you.
Conception Bay South, NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I and my parents spent 7 wonderful days at this resort. The staff and area was beautiful. The food (Cuban) was ok but needed a bit more taste. You have to understand that Cuban food is just different so while in Cuba you just have to put up with that! The resort was well laid out and we liked that it was not too too large. We had an excellent room which was located close to the main pool and bar and also the beach. The staff were just great and got to know us by name very quickly! I would not hesitate going back to this resort in the future.

Room Tip: We chose to be out of the main building and close to the beach!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank winsord
Fabrizio T, General Manager at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear guests,
Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort, it is a pleasure you have enjoyed your vacations and that you are willing to come back without hesitation at all.
We hope you can make it Las Antillas again very soon.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

My friends and I just returned from our first trip to Cuba from February 9-16. While we have many positive things to say about the resort, we cannot express enough our disappointment in the repetitive, and quite boring, evening entertainment.

If you are to to stay at this resort, expect 3 nights out of 7 of good entertainment, with the remainder of the evenings similar in nature with different costumes. The Thursday "Games Night," Saturday "Retro Video Dance Party", and Tuesday "Drums/girls with drum sticks show" (which I'm pretty were hired for the evening for Valentine's Day) were fantastic. The remaining "Havana" type dancing and singing (with the same people each night) were incredibly boring and annoying. As soon as we would see that the show was the same as the night before, we walked out. DO NOT EXPECT GREAT ENTERTAINMENT AT THIS RESORT OR MANY PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE! Many seemed to agree that the entertainment was NOT up to par!

Wonderful staff, clean rooms, AMAZING beach, nice pool (although very cold), great drinks. We also enjoyed the buffet food but were not overly impressed with Romantico Restaurant. We ordered certain menu items and did not get what we ordered - language barrier perhaps?

Overall, we had a great trip and very much enjoyed the staff.

But, I will end with reiterating that the entertainment was NOT GOOD!!!! New singers please! Enough spanish singing (most of us can't understand) - one culture night is enough. Havana dancing - BORING! I know the performers love it, but WE DON'T!

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Canadian T
Dear guests,
We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our entertainment, we usually get compliments for the night entertainment, we will look into this matter and we regret if was not your case.
We are glad that you found wonderful and the beach amazing and that overall this was a great trip. We hope you give us a second chance to provide you with the vacation dreamed.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We (2 couples) stayed at the Melia Feb. 7-14 and had a great vacation. Our general impression of Cuba was very positive. Loved all the old cars. The highways were nicely landscaped.

Hotel: Grounds lovely and well kept. Pools were nice but cold. The only water I ventured into was the warm jacuzzi. The beach is endless white powder sand. We never had a problem getting chairs in the shade at the pool or on the beach which was good. Our room was large, quiet, clean. The shower was often not hot with poor pressure but we managed with it. We got our towels and bottled water every day and that was important to us. The maid service was good.

Staff: Waitressses in the buffet were friendly and good. People were friendly and helpful everywhere and worked hard, from gardeners to construction workers.

Guests: We met people from all over the world. Many Canadians (from east to west), people from Paris, Spain, Italy, Germany, Poland, Russia, Chile, Alaska, Norway. All were pleasant to talk to.

Entertainment: Live music in the lobby bar was good, as well in the Italian restaurant (great soprano sax player) and the Pool/Beach restaurant El Conuco. Evening entertainment was very repetitious with similar dancing and singing with different costumes and songs but all to the same type of music. More variety was needed. (The singers and dancers were good.) We enjoyed the water show. The audience participation show gave lots of laughs and was fun.

Trips: Great evening out to hear the old Cuban musicians - the Bueno Vista Social Club – at the Plaza Americanas. Visited Varadero which was fun wandering the streets and flea market. Had a good meal there. Took a taxi/guide to Havana for the day (arranged by the concierge) and enjoyed touring around. We ate at a great restaurant called El Guajirito (lots of stairs).

Our 2 favourite restaurants on the property were the Italian (Don Peperone) where William was our excellent waiter and the soprano sax player was great. The other was the one by the pool bar where we had such good service from great waiters and good food. We had our best lunches and dinners at both these places.

The Buffet: Sadly, this was the only negative thing I have to say about the resort. I knew that the food in Cuba was not the best so my expectations were not high but I was still very disappointed with the buffet food. Breakfast was OK. I liked the omelettes. If I wanted a hot lunch or dinner it was not to be gotten there unless I wanted pasta. Everything else was not hot, and overcooked, even the vegetables. They may not have the best variety or quality of food there but at least it can be cooked properly and it wasn’t. The specialty restaurants and eating in town saved us. A word about the coffee: not good at the buffet (watered down) but excellent in the lobby bar and specialty restaurants.

The Toaster: Something is wrong when you have to put your “toast” through the machine 4 times if you wanted more than just hot bread. I had many interesting conversations with others each morning waiting for our turns at the toaster. Everyone had the same complaint, so it wasn’t just me.

The resort is working at improvements to the property. While we were there the ladies’ washroom by the pool restaurant was renovated. Also, they were painting the railings along the winding staircase.

3 Thank goldie
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort, it is really a pleasure to know, you have enjoyed your vacations, although there were some thing you did not like. We are going to send your comments at all our staff.
We are very sad to learn that you were not pleased with the food offered at the Buffet. We have passed your comments to our chef so that proper actions are taken.
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This was our first time to Cuba and we enjoyed it. We stayed here from Feb 7th-14th. The hotel decorated for Valentines day which I thought was sweet, we had to leave at 4:45 pm so we didn't get to enjoy the dinners or anything but we assume it was good :)

Hotel- 4 Star would be right on the dot. There were things we liked and things we didn't. We were located in the 64 Villa (ModuLes) and the rooms were great. We did not experience any issues with bugs. Our issue was with the fire alarm going off at 6:00 AM for the first two days of our trip.. Needless to say the staff were not very apologetic about it rather were "aware of the situation because everyone in the Villa 64 was calling"... I was very nice about it when I went to the desk on the second day of this adventure. I would have been more accepting of the situation if the staff apologized however that wasn't given. The hotel is lovely inside, it does need upgrades however there were people watering the lawns, painting the staircases etc and doing other jobs around the building pretty much every day we were there, so I give them credit for proving they are trying. The grounds were very well kept it was laid out very nicely however there is an awful stench from the swampy pond they have there, however I could deal with it for the little amount of time I had to smell it. The elevators are SCARY, however they do the trick. Go up to the top floor and walk from one side of the hotel to the other you will have spectacular views of Varadero, the ocean and the other resorts! :)

Staff- The staff were all pretty fantastic they were all welcoming and extremely happy. The staff were so appreciative of our gestures and tips. We brough deoderant, tooth brushes and tooth paste to give to the cleaning staff and they were very appreciative of that. Our lovely waitress in the buffet was fantastic, we just adored her assistance :) Her name is Mairelys and she is so kind!!

Pool- The pool was fine, nothing really bad to say about it. It was kept clean other than the falling debris from the palm trees etc. We never experienced an issue finding a lounger in the shade or the sun. My one thing that really bothered me was the inconsiderate smokers. I have no problem with people smoking, but the people who left their cigarette butts and ashes on the ground near the pools really frustrated me. Not only is it incredibly disgusting with the wind blowing them in the pool/on your towels etc but it is rude towards the staff who have to sweep it up. There were plenty of ash trays located around and I wish people who smoke would use them. Other people used their empty drink cups for an ash tray which coming from a non-smoker was REALLY appreciated.

Beach- The beach was about a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel depending on where you were located. Please beware of the death trail on the way to the beach. The bridge is very unstable and is terrifying when it cracks and the wood beams are loose. For people who are limited to walking/are in a wheel chair, you will not be able to make it to the beach on the bridge as there is about a 10-15 foot walk from there to the beach which has a random broom handle (I think) which you have to step over and a few bigger rocks in the ground. The beach is absolutely beautiful I loved the crystal clear water and enjoyed the limited fish. I only saw 3 or so fish and that was the day after the beach was closed due to high winds and large waves. I am not someone who enjoys fish swimming at my feet so this was ideal for me. There were excursions you could take to go snorkling if thats your thing. The beach bar is located off of the beach a little however they were usually never busy! We never experienced an issue with finding a lounger in the sun or the shade. Also the people who were selling items on the beach were very pleasant and never bugged/begged. They usually only held their products up and if you approached them or called them over that was then they attempted to sell.

Food- The food was way better than I expected. For breakfast there is an omlette station which I highly recommend, for lunch there was freshly made pizza and a pasta bar, for dinner they had the pasta bar and a fresh meat grilling bar outside.. I really enjoyed the freshly made food, it did take longer however was worth the wait. They had a variety of food at the buffets including meat, cheese, pasta salad, potato salad, hot foods (which were not hot however it is understandable) and then they had fruit galore!!

Italian restaraunt was great, stuffed chicken, and the mozarella in a carriage is the way to go.
Romantico restaraunt was also great, stuffed chicken and salmon bisque were great! We paid 3 pesos to have the violinists to play us a song, they came to our table and played as if it was just for us. WOW, beautiful!! Can you feel the love tonight has never sounded so lovely!! thank you :)

Drinks- I think that rum was cheaper than pop because the drinks were usualy 2/3 rum and 1/3 mix.. however if you let them know you only want a little bit of rum they are very accommodating. Try a superclub.. Its a good drink..

Entertainment- We went to about 4 or 5 of the entertainments and they were good.. Usually involving dancing or singing. The couples night was hilarious and I'll let you find out about that when you go to the show.

TIP- Go on the double decker Varadero bus tour.. Was a great time, and the shops were great downtown. Many of the shops have similar items just so you know. I felt more safe in Varadero than I do in Toronto, Ontario. The locals are very welcoming and nice and I never felt unsafe. The rooms are equipt with a safety deposit box- request the key when you check in, its free. :)

We will be back to Cuba, to this resort, probably not because we want to try new places, however I'd say its a four star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor on the side closest to the Blau Varadero. They seem to have amazing...
6 Thank AshandJoshua
Dear Guests,
We are so sorry to hear that you had a problem with the fire alarm, we usually do not get compliments on it but we will take look into this matter and also the bridge to the beach.
We are glad that you found wonderful all the restaurants and the food in general.