“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Orangeville, Ontario, canada
“Good value”

Hotel

Good hotel. I would say 4 star. Staff very friendly and always willing to serve. And they work hard with long days. You will see some of them in the shows. Resort is spread out as are most. Beautiful well kept grounds. Lots of little lizards. Bring bug spray. My wife use spray and got no bites. I did not use spray, and got lots of bites on my legs, that blistered up when we got back. The hotel was fogging. You can exchange Canadian dollars at front desk. Rate not bad. Probably get a better rate at the airport. But you may only save 3 bucks every $100. So this is the easiest way to exchange. Get small bills, they like tips. I would not bother with soap and trinkets for the maid, I think they just want money.

Rooms

Nice room clean and spacious. Big balcony. We were in 1824. Has view of ocean. About 100 yards to beach. I e-maid the hotel prior to the trip and asked for this room, and got it. We got a king bed. Shower has lots of pressure and hot water. Rooms are quite due to the design. Third floor better. No creachers get in. Fridge service every other day.

The ala carts not so good. Italian the best. All eating areas had no air. So we were very hot during meals. Most hotels were like this in Cuba. Buffet not to bad. No hot spicy foods. And a little bland. But we got lots to eat. Go after 830, crowd seems to dwindle. Coffee not so good. No cream. There milk is like some watered down milk. But the pool snack bar has great cappuccinos open early. And the lobby bar has cappuccinos also.

Bars

Lots of bars all over. Drinks won't be a problem. Ask for the Santos rum, much better. The house rum is weaker or something.

Beach

Nice blue water. Stay on the west end, sand is much better. We could not get beach chairs a few times if you did not get there before 10am.Beach slopes down, so your chair is on a angle.

Excursions

The catamaran was great. Lobster dinner on an island we nice beach. Stop to snorkel. Not very good site. Some small fish. A dolphin experience is included. Nice close interaction for the humans. I don't like them penned up. The pens are out in the ocean, with natural sea water flowing through, but there are still in captivity. The Jeep Safari was great. Get to drive a small Suzuki 4x4. Farley new with air. The 4x4 is disabled. You go through little villages ( bring candy and stuff for kids along road).

would not go back to this hotel. Will try another. If this is your first trip, it will seem like a good hotel. The value was good.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor, less lizards. No one above you. Room 1824 has veiw of Ocean
2 Thank Maninmotion_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I'll try to keep my blurb short and not repeat too much of what's been written below.

I personally love Cuba and the Iberostar brand.

Cuba isn't Americanized like Mexico so you simply won't find luxury in Cuba like you do in Mexico. You will find: kind, genuinely happy people, beautiful beaches, great music, salsa dancing, premium cigars and a country rich in history, culture and charm. Cuba is a safe country - there is no gambling, no drug cartels and crime is minimal. The Cubans are educated and there are few (if any) homeless. They live simply so others may simply live.

The Iberostar brand has a good reputation for producing a high qualilty product. I've stayed at other Iberostar resorts before and they really set the standard for excellence in any country. This resort is smaller and not as polished as other Iberostar resorts but the value is great and your needs will be met. I found the food to be enjoyable as I'm a big fan of seafood, grilled meats and fresh fruit and the service and entertainment met my expectations. The staff were very kind, hardworking and really the reason why I enjoy my visits to Cuba. Some staff that deserve mention are: Tania, Deylis, Adialys, Olga, Yilena, Frank, Edgar, Diana and Yeimy. Thank you.

Cuba is a beautiful country. Enjoy your time at the beach and pool but try to get off the resort and see the sights and meet the people.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mr_Luong88
nova scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

just don't understand how people can complain about this resort. beautiful beach, clean room, always a good food selection and the staff is outstanding! would return in a minute. resort is just the right size, pool and beach are great! night shows were mostly great, but a few were repetitious. the sun , sand and people were all super!

Room Tip: we were on second floor, no bugs at all
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rascal54
Thompson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I would totally recommend this resort. I'll admit that I was nervous about the food after reading some of the reviews but it was so much better than I thought it would be. The food was good, the drinks were very refreshing and the staff were wonderful. If you think that the drinks are too strong or not strong enough, just tell the bartender and they will fix it to your liking.

Eduardo makes the most amazing omelets at the buffet and was so friendly; as were all of the staff there. Ask for Yosban if you want a good waiter at the buffet. He was awesome. He remembered what kind of tea I liked after only eating there a couple of times and you can only imagine how many people go through that place in a day!

Our rooms were very clean and our bed sheets were changed every single day except for one. Our fridge was stocked daily with water, soft drinks and beer. I think it helps to leave a small tip every day. Those people who complain so much about the service are probably too cheap to leave a tip. The maids also really appreciate little things like nylons, hair clips, etc., so I would leave a little something for them every morning.

The beach was so amazing and the water was crystal clear. We had dancing lessons on the beach every day which was a lot of fun. Arlin was one of the staff on the beach and was such a great help. We would tell him when we were going to be there and he would have the loungers set up for when we got there. If you have any questions about activities, see Arlin. He will help you out.

Make sure if you go to Varadero, take in the catamaran excursion. It was such an amazing day and the lunch they serve is amazing.....lobster and shrimp!!!! So good!!

You should also do the jeep excursion. If you do this, bring some suckers, gum or candies for all of the kids as they aren't fortunate enough to get these kinds of things that we take for granted. It's very sad to see how some of them live and you really get to experience the living conditions on this tour. There are kids all over the roads waving as you go by and I'm just sorry that I didn't bring anything for them. I will know better for next time.

I would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat!! What a great trip!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mkhanson
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We booked this vacation last minute, about 10 days before we left and were totally loved it! We booked a couples getaway for me and my husband as quick four day getaway for the Easter break. We arrived April 6, 2012 at night and left April 10, 2012 at night. What a great quick getaway for the price we paid ($1500 for both).

I really enjoyed the colonial look of the hotel and enjoyed the bright colours painted throughout the resort. The accomodations were fine, the room was large enough for the two of us. TIP: Email ahead and request a room with a King bed, they will be more than happy to accomodate this and it's worth it, as some rooms are equpped with two twin beds pushed together. The room was cleaned each day and linens changed. The maid always made a fun placement of the towels and even incoorporated hubby's hat into one of them.

The staff were friendly and courteous and always had a smile for you at the bar or the restuaruants. The shows put on each night were entertaining and very family friendly.

The food, was not all that great, but it wasn't awful either. The other two resorts I have previlusly stayed in Cayo Coco were the same. Cuba doesn't have the best food, period, but I always found something to eat and actually enjoyed trying fruits not usually found home here in Canada.

As we were only there for a few days, we did not bother with the a la carte restuarnats and stuck to the buffet, snack bar and beach grill. The snack bar was the best bet for burgers, fries, hot dogs and pizza.

I loved the beach and the pool area. The beach was windy a couple of the days, but the white sand and blue turqouise water were breathtaking! I thought there was a swim up bar, but this was not the case. Not a big deal, but defintiely a convenience!

I found the resort was family friendly and would go again with my daughter and maybe other family friends. There was lots of activities for the children to do and a kids club open in the morning and afternoon to give parents a few hours to themselves.

Overall, after reading the reviews on trip advisor, I knew that the resort woudl be great for the price we paid and it was. I would not spend more than what I did for the accomodations and food and was overall impresed with the resort. We enjoyed the atmosphere and are thinking of returning next year with family and friends!

Room Tip: TIP: buildings 16, 17 and 18 are the closest to the beach and quieter. We stayed in building 15 and...
1 Thank SammerF
Waterloo, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I just returned from the Playa Alameda travelling April 3-10th with my husband and kids ages 5 and 9. We have traveled to Mexico and DR many times but this was our first time to Cuba and we have stayed at other Iberostars before.

I have mixed feeling about this resort. We had a really nice time, the grounds are immaculate, service was good (but you do need to tip to get good service), the beach was nice but this hotel is really starting to show its age. Things in the resort are starting to get run down and there is quite a bit of maintenance required around the resort. We always saw lots of grounds crew working but never any maintenance being done. The bathrooms around the pool really need to be upgraded.

The food for us was just ok. We always found something to eat, especially from the grill but unless it was cooked in front of you anything from the buffet was never warm. The selection of food for the kids was almost nil and if it had not been for the pasta bar my kids would have gone hungry at dinner. Breakfast and lunch were ok especially at the snack bar and the beach grill.

The rooms are big and ours was well cleaned while we were there but we tipped. The beds are as hard as a rock and the pillows are completely flat. There are only 2 english stations and there is no clock in the room. We had great hot water and water pressure all week. We also had no problem getting a 3rd bed and we were on the 2nd floor.

The beach was nice and you could always get a lounger but the staff do reserve the 'preferred' beach locations for big tippers.

Drinks are great and the animation staff work hard. We only saw 2 of the evening shows but there is always music and sometimes a 'mini show' outside at the bar.

For what we paid I have no complaints and we had a nice week. It is not as nice as other places we have stayed and not as nice as other Iberostars. If you are looking for fancy this is not the place. But if you are looking for a nice small resort with good service, good drinks, nice beach, quiet and don't want to pay alot then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor in building 19. Nice and close to everything.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank musky629
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for the comments of our Hotel, all of this feedback will help us undoubtedly to improve our services, we also thank you for choosing again Iberostar Hotels for spending your holydays, However It is not possible to compare our Hotels from Cuba with the ones in Mexico or Dom. Republic, each country has their own characteristics. We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company. Each and every one of us is committed to ensure our guests experience the most enjoyable holiday.

Juan Pablo Fortun
Dawson Creek
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We returned from the Playa Alameda last night, staying for 7 nights..the things that they do not have as indicated on their website: Room service, swim up bar, adult pool, and daily maid service. The drinks were so strong it was impossible to enjoy, the food was fine - i could always find a meal. there were times when there was no restaurant open - very annoying. Seen only one cockroach in the main buffet area; however they did fumigate the entire resort 3 times - the fumes were overwhelming! the staff are terribly ambivalent and have no inclination to assist - we heard "no" or "five minutes" so many times we started to joke about it...right down to the car rental booth where we were told "no" we couldn't rent a scooter because they were sold out for the day...and don't bother checking back today..come at 7 am tomorrow and their might be one...wow talk about going the extra mile. When we were able to at last rent a scooter, we went into Varadero (very cool) we had to pay to park the scooter anywhere we stopped, plus we had to tip. That being said, the public transport was cheap (10 pesos each) and great, you can get off and on the bus as many times as you would like during the day. The maid service missed our room twice - and i am certain they never changed the sheets the entire week. the staff literally asked for our clothing, bags and other items - they didn't ask for tips - they demanded them. We paid a lot of $$ for this trip and did expect gourmet food or other amenities. However; as a paying customer; wherever i go, i expect customer service - and there was none. The good stuff- the beaches were amazing, the water warm, and snorkeling was great. The natural beauty was amazing.

We travel a great deal and have been to many different resorts, based on this experience - i will not be returning to Cuba.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank katcon68
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest, First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, on behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Iberostar Playa Alameda, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays; regarding your comment about room service or swim up bar, adult pool, after checking again our web Page I can tell you we don´t indicate these services on it because we have never had it available these services for guests. About the staff not have been helpful, I can just tell you that each and every one of us is committed to ensure our guests experience the most enjoyable holiday, and in most of our guest comments our staff have always been one of our positives points. About the car rental they are not part of the Hotel staff but thank you for your comment I will talk with them about this issue. We regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel, We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company.

Juan Pablo Fortun